Wind Bard

Aquareia - Lionheart
Aquareia - Lionheart Posts: 12 Arc User
edited December 2012 in Bard Discussion
Well.. I switched to water a little while ago but i'm already getting bored pve wise. Soon as i get the achieves or gold im going wind >->. I already planned out a dps build and i couldnt figure the gearing and gems out. If any experienced wind bards could help me out that would be much appreciated.

First off, I cant deside on the set. from what i've heard the TOK set was made for wind bards considering its pro's when you get the full set. others say i should get seperate pieces of gear that had for say, more wind damage or accuracy.

Also, my goal atm is lv2 wings. (lv 3 and 4 gems)
how much of each gem (Azures,Bloodstone,Goldspark,Shatter,Twilight,Crystaline, etc.) should i use?

About the aoes, Is it true there is only 2 aoes? only ones i'm aware of are Requiem and Frost Storm.

Post edited by Aquareia - Lionheart on

Comments

• Zaviere - Storm Legion
    Zaviere - Storm Legion Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The ToK set is a decent set to use for full Wind, yes. Especially if you can up the reforges on the attack pieces + the boots. Personally, I'm more a fan of separates, and would aim for the ToK set to start out with, and then try and collect Mighty/Deadly Stout pieces to replace it with later on. For more of a PvP build, go with a full Precise Stout set with lots of accuracy IDs.

As for gems, regardless of whether or not you want to PvP at all, or just stick to PvE, you should have Bloods and Rages in every piece. Beyond that, for PvE only I would say Goldsparks/Shatters + Twilights/Solars if you go only +9 on gear, since you get enough passive accuracy from talents for your wind attacks to generally not miss in PvE. For PvP, I would absolutely prioritize Eagles over Sparks/Shatters, and Crystallines over Solars.

About the AoEs, it is true that pure Wind builds DO only get two of them. However, if you picked Nyos for your faith tree, with enough rune energy you can gain the effect that allows you to cut the cooldowns of both AoEs in half with max stacks of Nyos' Refrain. This allows Wind Bards to be on par with most equally geared Mages when it comes to AoE damage potential.

Just to note, PvP as Wind is extremely difficult compared to Water or Light. You have no real survivability compared to the other two talent trees, so you have to rely heavily on your gear/gems and resistance training to be able to survive long enough to be effective in PvP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    youtube.com/watch?v=S3bRPHPQsOs (copy-able text link)
  • eberg33k
    eberg33k Posts: 772 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Definitely get the ToK set as a wind bard, at least get 6 pieces of it. To balance the 405 att bonus, you'd need to get an average of 67.5 att on 6 offset pieces (id doesn't count), which is harder to find and more expensive.
  • ronor
    ronor Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    On the gems, I whole heartedly agree with what has been said above, rage/blood on every piece, shatter/gold where applicable, solar/twilight on the rest.

As for set, I personally aim for the purple 77 set with superior base stats, and a 100 mastery add on.

As a wind I almost never pvp, so don't count on your bard to do it either, we get slaughtered in fights if anybody notices us.
  • Demyx - Storm Legion
    Demyx - Storm Legion Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    ronor wrote: »
    On the gems, I whole heartedly agree with what has been said above, rage/blood on every piece, shatter/gold where applicable, solar/twilight on the rest.

As for set, I personally aim for the purple 77 set with superior base stats, and a 100 mastery add on.

As a wind I almost never pvp, so don't count on your bard to do it either, we get slaughtered in fights if anybody notices us.

I wouldn't completely discount Wind Bards in PvP. 3v3 and 6v6 yeah...we kinda suck, but in Rift and 12v12 where we're given more room, I've found I do a lot better. God help any player that gets in the way of a Wind Bard...buffed up with Red Hands.
    Part of the fun of playing the game is wading through 98% of the idiots and trolls to find the 2% who you enjoy playing with.
  • Jigglypuff - Eyrda
    Jigglypuff - Eyrda Posts: 605 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    in 3v3 and 6v6 it really requires the team to be formed around the wind bard (protection and stuff) but in 12v12 all u really need is a priest friend and ure ready to kill.
  • miaxi
    miaxi Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    For windbard, it's attack, attack, and more attack. With the talent "Inspire", your movement: courage adds 1.8% of your total attack with each stack.

And yes, wind bard has two aoe skills: requiem and melody mastery (lvl 75 skill), but the 35 nature energy skill reduces their cooldown by up to 50%. That's 1.4s CD for requiem and 3.5s for melody mastery, so wind bards can be built for strong aoe. On the downside, bards aren't built to tank 20 mobs at once, so you'll need protection.
  • cuthecrap
    cuthecrap Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    ToK set is good for starters :) after tha i'll recommend a mighty/deadly stout individual pieces set, that crit chance for wind bards is epic ;).
    As for gems, agree with everyone till now, for PvE go withou a doubt for bloods/rages/GS/shatters... rest depends on ur build i guess...
    If you intend on doing PvP, including 3v3 and 6v6, there are 2 paths, either u go full resistance training and HP, and get a good team in who you can rely.... or you can be like me, and go the only PvP Eva Wind bard on Illyfue xD
    Eva is a hard way to go, it's a max or nothing type of build, but with some runes and specific talents, eva wind bards can get that survivability in PvP without sacrificing that awesome damage buff everyone loves in PvE. (needless to say if u go eva, Mistshrouds IV wherever u can :) )

The AoE's, ah yes, the second pride of the Wind Bards! right after the OP attack buff. Yap as stated you only get two, and yes as stated u can cut their cooldowns by half if u go nyos, wich basically allows you to consta spam them gaining the AoE potential of slightly worse geared mages out there.

No fear my friend if you're one who likes to combine PvE fun with PvP possibilites, wind is the tree for you!

Balanced, Illyfue, Eva Wind Bard.
  • MyzarePixy - Illyfue
    MyzarePixy - Illyfue Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I've always disliked the TOK set as a wind bard so I personally use individual items with atk, hp, wind mastery, acc and tbh the attributes become a lot more compared to tok set but it's still ok to have fun at pve. :D
  • Aquareia - Lionheart
    edited November 2012
    somewhat confused cause im hearing opposed answers. i personally have a strict pve build. i also heard that crystalines are maybe the only one of the four shard gems i will need. so far i followed some advice and set in rage fires and bloodstones in pretty much every piece. im going accuracy so course i plan to put four eagle eyes in my gear and try to put as many solars as i can. the last few spots will be for mana so i plan on maybe two to three azureclouds (lv3 or 4). also i collected the whole tok set and i plan to use it when i level.gradually ill try to collect the other two sets that were mentioned a couple of times. ( two 4 sets if im correct). how does that sound?

:D try to ignore grammer errors
  • eberg33k
    edited November 2012
    somewhat confused cause im hearing opposed answers. i personally have a strict pve build. i also heard that crystalines are maybe the only one of the four shard gems i will need. so far i followed some advice and set in rage fires and bloodstones in pretty much every piece. im going accuracy so course i plan to put four eagle eyes in my gear and try to put as many solars as i can. the last few spots will be for mana so i plan on maybe two to three azureclouds (lv3 or 4). also i collected the whole tok set and i plan to use it when i level.gradually ill try to collect the other two sets that were mentioned a couple of times. ( two 4 sets if im correct). how does that sound?

:D try to ignore grammer errors

If you're going for strict pve you really don't need much accuracy. Accuracy is more for overcoming eva in pvp. The accuracy you get from soul power stats should be enough, if not get a ferocity of wind rune or 2 (they're usually cheap).

Solars are ok, but I, personally, would focus on increasing dps at your level. For my bard (after rages and bloods) I plan on adding as much shatters and golds first. Then fill out what's left with twilights, crystals, then solars.

Do not gem any azures, ever.

If you're going strictly pve, I would stick only with 6 piece set (over the pvp sets). You're wind, your focus is attack. 405 attack from 6 pieces is 67.5 per piece. To get that from offset pieces is really rare and really expensive. So until you get 6 pieces to match that, I would stick with the tok set.
    There's a elf rep waist and slayer rep harp with attack on them, so if you fill in the other pieces you've got your set.
  • DevilishTe - Storm Legion
    DevilishTe - Storm Legion Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    http://fw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=215351

When I started out I used this guide. It came in handy a lot of times, but of course somethings can be tweaked.

Wind is a pretty squishy tree out of the 3 trees, so defense gems like twilights and crystallines come in handy along with goldsparks, shattershards and ragefires and eagle-eyes.

I would go with either the ToK set at 77 or not go set and buy 77 ToK gear with crit. chance, attack, crit. damage, wind mastery.
    'Before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean first.'
  • eberg33k
    edited November 2012
    http://fw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=215351

When I started out I used this guide. It came in handy a lot of times, but of course somethings can be tweaked.

I like that guide but the wind section seemed more pvp oriented. Attack isnt even mentioned in the recommended stats.

I kinda prefer this guide over it.
  • Demyx - Storm Legion
    edited November 2012
    eberg33k wrote: »
    I like that guide but the wind section seemed more pvp oriented. Attack is even mentioned in the recommended stats.

I kinda prefer this guide over it.

The only problem I see with this build would have to be it's sacrificing attack to cover the actions of stupid people.

2/5 into Waving Ripple is the right direction...but putting 2 points into Art of Music just because people tend to spread out...frankly it's a waste. If people are THAT far away from you that they're not getting buffs, that's an issue for them...not you.

Also, the 1 point into Movement: Song of Wind. Frankly I understand Wind Bards are fast...but it's a novelty in the end. The % mana you get by casting that skill in combination with Windstorm Movement is a joke...and I've yet to come across a situation where movement was needed over attack.

If you were to put those points into Waving Ripple under the water tree, you'd have the strongest Surge possible in game (+600 to attack at max level). They say to max it with runes, but to date Waving Ripple runes are either exceptionally rare, or not introduced. It's much easier to put the talent points there and actually let people learn from their mistakes when it comes to distance.

If you know what you're aiming for with the build, it's not that hard to make one. It's the gear you have to worry about really. ToK will give you more attack, PvP will give you the resistances which frankly...a lot of Wind Bards need. If you're going PvE I'd recommend ToK or Heroic gear. But if for even a moment you're thinking of going into any PvP situation, I'd recommend getting either the PvP set, or dumping the money to raise your resistances to at LEAST 200-250 in each element.

Heroic weapon will be the best one to get in the end, save for an EB weapon that's been recast. If you go Wind, and offer your services to other parties, it shouldn't be too hard to get into a GoS, so Champ points won't be a problem. In the end, find a good squad to farm Void Blades with and you'll have an easy time.
    Part of the fun of playing the game is wading through 98% of the idiots and trolls to find the 2% who you enjoy playing with.
  • eberg33k
    edited November 2012
    The only problem I see with this build would have to be it's sacrificing attack to cover the actions of stupid people.
    I think you need to look at his runes before judging his build. He has 3 waving ripple runes.
    2/5 into Waving Ripple is the right direction...but putting 2 points into Art of Music just because people tend to spread out...frankly it's a waste. If people are THAT far away from you that they're not getting buffs, that's an issue for them...not you.
    3 waving ripple runes means he can move those points elsewhere for "stupid people". Granted he probably should still have 3 points in the talent, but he still ends up with 5/5 in the talent.
    Also, the 1 point into Movement: Song of Wind. Frankly I understand Wind Bards are fast...but it's a novelty in the end. The % mana you get by casting that skill in combination with Windstorm Movement is a joke...and I've yet to come across a situation where movement was needed over attack.
    It really speeds up an instance. While its not for instances like fp with a lot of small spaces, for runs like ToK and certain mentor runs (LH). It cuts down the time a lot.

With that out of the way, I didn't post it for the build, I posted for the logic behind gems, runes, gear. Which is what some of the debate in this thread is about.
  • Demyx - Storm Legion
    edited November 2012
    eberg33k wrote: »
    I think you need to look at his runes before judging his build. He has 3 waving ripple runes.

3 waving ripple runes means he can move those points elsewhere for "stupid people". Granted he probably should still have 3 points in the talent, but he still ends up with 5/5 in the talent.

It really speeds up an instance. While its not for instances like fp with a lot of small spaces, for runs like ToK and certain mentor runs (LH). It cuts down the time a lot.

With that out of the way, I didn't post it for the build, I posted for the logic behind gems, runes, gear. Which is what some of the debate in this thread is about.

The only problem as a whole...as you made reference to it several times, is the Waving Ripple Rune. As I mentioned before, that rune so far is either exceptionally rare, or non-existent. I doubt it's the latter, but I wouldn't doubt it's in the same category as the Wind Bard Inspire Rune, which is so exceptionally rare that there are only a handful currently out there.

I have been running as a Wind Bard in instances like Aeon Spire, Tomb of Kings and Gauntlet of Storm for quite a while...and while the Movement: Song of Wind skill makes traveling between bosses faster, the time it shaves is only a few minutes at best.

That is of course, besides the point...simply an opinion. I can agree with most of the gem assessment (though the rune assessment leaves some to be desired). Having all 4 Crit-based gems helps, but really the focus should be on Crit Dodge over Crit Defense.

If you really wanted to focus on both the PvP gear would be the better route as it gives both as a bonus. Crit Dodge however has more impact verses Crit Defense, as most heavy-crit classes like Sins and Vampires purposefully stack Crit Damage through IDs. Since they are point for point equal (Crit Dodge vs Chance, Crit Damage vs Defense) it's easier to negate the opponents Crit Change with Dodge than it is their damage with defense.

You can also get the Water Bard Endure rune (which isn't as rare as Waving Ripple) to increase your Crit Dodge so long as you keep Surge up, making Crit Dodge easier to stack in the end.

Finally...for those who are adamant about ToK over PvP gear because of the damage...both are Reforgable, but reforging doesn't help with resistances. If you can get even the blue PvP gear and reforge it, you can help at least offset it's lack of an attack bonus. You could also reforge the ToK set and get even more attack, but you'd still be lacking the defensive stats needed in PvP unless you trained up your resistances further to compensate.
  • Jigglypuff - Eyrda
    edited November 2012
    crit def is actually better in pvp then crit dodge is with a big enough hp pool i have to say. Since there are many ways u cant possibly ever have the crit dodge to dodge the opponents crit chance. while if u have 200-240% crit def with a tanky build (some resist and good hp pool) ull survive.
    Ofcourse against those with 400 to 500% crit damage ull die, but those are the ppl and builds who usually also have the abilities to crit u no matter what ure dodge is.

And on eyrdy waving ripple isnt that rare, seen it a bunch of times and theres always one or two in ah. But inspire rune i havnt seen. So rare =(

And for someone who really wants movement song of wind, its a rune so u can have it that way without spending the talent point.
  • eberg33k
    edited November 2012
    And for someone who really wants movement song of wind, its a rune so u can have it that way without spending the talent point.

Rune doesn't work like that, you have to have 1 point in the talent for it to work, since it's an active skill.
  • Demyx - Storm Legion
    edited November 2012
    Actually the Bard Runes work a little different

The 3-Chord songs like Song of Wind, Song of Water and Song of Life require you cast 3 additional spells. For some reason the game counts this as an "add on" to those spells and note of rest, instead of it being an entirely new spell.

It's been tested...and sadly true. As the 3-chord spells require no mana, and have no target exactly...they are in fact NOT counted as spells, thus their runes can be used by any Bard class.

Crazy isn't it?
  • Jigglypuff - Eyrda
    edited December 2012
    Actually the Bard Runes work a little different

The 3-Chord songs like Song of Wind, Song of Water and Song of Life require you cast 3 additional spells. For some reason the game counts this as an "add on" to those spells and note of rest, instead of it being an entirely new spell.

It's been tested...and sadly true. As the 3-chord spells require no mana, and have no target exactly...they are in fact NOT counted as spells, thus their runes can be used by any Bard class.

Crazy isn't it?

dont see it as crazy since if u look at ure skilllist it says its a passive skill
  • Aquareia - Lionheart
    edited December 2012
    Okay then I've made a few changes to my gem build and i took out the 3 azure clouds (lv3 and 4s) and replaced them with Crystaline, and Shatter shards.
    Also i plan to change the Eagle Eyes out for a GoldSpark, another 2 Shatter Shards, and maybe a Twilight. That sound okay? :confused:

Also there is a bard on my server (not gonna name any names) with level 3 wings. I looked into her gear and overall she had 6 Azureclouds -.-
  • faimon
    faimon Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    probably to make lvl 3 wings, but azures not of any use