test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Pando Media Booster

Doewn - LionheartDoewn - Lionheart Posts: 182 Arc User
edited September 2012 in General Discussion
How do you feel about being forced to use a torrenter for your game download and redistribution? Has it lagged your game? Have any of you bothered to learn how you shut it off? Did the turn off work? Do you miss updates for shutting off or disabling Pando?

Do you think it is dangerous?

I could "pass notes" right now to anyone else who signs up to play this game simply by adding a text file to the game client. It would be very easy for a hacker to add a virus. How could Pando possibly know something malicious has been added to their torrent?

Come to think of it, not many people play this game anymore. Is the reason there are so few players now because they caught a virus thru Pando and their PC's have all crashed? They would not be able to come warn the rest of us, if they even cared to or knew why.

Any opinions?
Post edited by Doewn - Lionheart on
Prone to Loki gloats. Honestly, I meant to say, "We the people," but it keeps coming out, "Meeeeooowww."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• Uzio - EyrdaUzio - Eyrda Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    What does Pando Media whatever have to do with downloading FW? You some kinda cheapskate promoter?
  • Trogotha - Storm LegionTrogotha - Storm Legion Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    How do you feel about being forced to use a torrenter for your game download and redistribution? Has it lagged your game? Have any of you bothered to learn how you shut it off? Did the turn off work? Do you miss updates for shutting off or disabling Pando?

Do you think it is dangerous?

I could "pass notes" right now to anyone else who signs up to play this game simply by adding a text file to the game client. It would be very easy for a hacker to add a virus. How could Pando possibly know something malicious has been added to their torrent?

Come to think of it, not many people play this game anymore. Is the reason there are so few players now because they caught a virus thru Pando and their PC's have all crashed? They would not be able to come warn the rest of us, if they even cared to or knew why.

Any opinions?

FW isn't the only one to use Pando - Many F2P games do

That link also has uninstall instructions which some may find helpful.

Now with the helpful portion of my post out of the way, onto the opinion. You probably should avoid doing tech support work since the script bots that man the front lines of Tier 1 support for the likes of ATT, etc are your superiors in terms of knowledge. :rolleyes:
    Dear PWE Staff: I can haz avatar nao plox? :D
    For SCIENCE (and the LULZ)!
  • parkingparking Posts: 1,101 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Pando is as Crappy as Steam

BOTH ARE CR4P

BOTH ARE JUNK

UNINSTALL BOTH OF THEM ! ! !

BOTH ARE JUST PLAIN JUNK ! ! !

You can Download any game from the GAME SITE WITHOUT A DOWNLOADER

You can RUN ANY GAME without some dumb junk like Steam

Oh well, some people are just , well, like Pando and Steam ,,, DUMB !!
    You cant fix STUPID, but YOU CAN KILL IT ! ! !
    FYI:90% of my post is sarcasm,read it again and figure it out!
  • Borsook - EyrdaBorsook - Eyrda Posts: 2,951 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    For once I 100% agree with parking. :eek:

Except uninstalling is a far-stretch to me. I wouldn't even install them in the first place. Use a sandbox and only copy FW after it's done if you really HAVE to install those pieces of junk.
  • Doewn - LionheartDoewn - Lionheart Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Where is this magical alternative download link you speak of? On a Private Server? I see a Pando option only or else do not play our game. When ever I shut Pando off thru legit means via Control Panel my game crashes and it turns itself on anyway. I also play DDO which I could NOT download without Pando as well.

Deleting it does not work.
    Shutting if off does not work.
    There is no other way to download the game client.
    Prone to Loki gloats. Honestly, I meant to say, "We the people," but it keeps coming out, "Meeeeooowww."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • YggdrasiI - Storm LegionYggdrasiI - Storm Legion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Pretty sure if you direct download Forsaken World, you are forced to get Pando. However, I believe the torrent/ magnet link doesn't make you download Pando.

Either way, I always just uninstall Pando. Using Control Panel and using Uninstall Programs gets rid of it for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[YOU- drah- sil]
    If you want to shorten my name, don't call me 'Ygg.' Call me 'Mana.'

Grandia: Unity ☆ Teamwork ☆ Friendship I]grandia-storm.com/[/I
    ~~~~~~~~~~{ Never get left behind again. }~~~~~~~~~~
  • Ronyon - Storm LegionRonyon - Storm Legion Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Pando has never been on my computer. Game plays fine for over a year. Apparently the Pando stuff was added ~after~ I first downloaded the game.

(Well, maybe "fine" is an overstatement... but the game runs as well as it does for everyone else.)

As with most every program for Windows released since 1995 ... deleting is bad, uninstall that **** or you'll leave stuff behind that messes other things up.
  • parkingparking Posts: 1,101 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Pando has never been on my computer. Game plays fine for over a year. Apparently the Pando stuff was added ~after~ I first downloaded the game.

(Well, maybe "fine" is an overstatement... but the game runs as well as it does for everyone else.)

As with most every program for Windows released since 1995 ... deleting is bad, uninstall that **** or you'll leave stuff behind that messes other things up.

Yes, I just checked the Download,, PANDO is the CR4P PWE is useing,, are they ****?

WINDOWS has its OWN downloader ,,,it seems to work fine too

Previously when a Game I want to play said * Download and Install PANDO *

I DID NOT PLAY IT

as for deleteing it ,,,

Ccleaner from piriform.com , will delete it ( or use Windows Uninstall ) then Ccleaner will clean up your Reg files ,,

Ive used Ccleaner for years without any problems
    You cant fix STUPID, but YOU CAN KILL IT ! ! !
    FYI:90% of my post is sarcasm,read it again and figure it out!
  • Vancore - Storm LegionVancore - Storm Legion Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    stop being such a baby instal the game scan it for viruses and then uninstall pando and be done the world will not end if you have to wait an extra 10min it takes to do that
  • swt2012swt2012 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Vancore (or others) - Perhaps you can provide some insight into Pando for me...I am just downloading FW today...I am a long long time gamer (back to the days of Pong lol) but don't typically play PC games (online or otherwise)...my daughter has played this game for years...recently she was at our condo with her laptop running W7...

It appears that Pando is causing issues for her laptop...so, if I read your post correctly, I can uninstall Pando and the game will still play with no problems...fyi, I am not familiar at all with Pando and what it actually is...I am assuming it is just a downloader for a P2P, and one that I have never used...I am beginning to see why it takes so long to download FW...

I have various tools and applications to clean up her registry, but did not want to remove Pando from her laptop without knowing what it actually is, how it works, and whether or not it is absolutely necessary for running FW...she is a computer novice and was no help at all, and told me Pando was necessary to run the game...go figure...

She apparently attempted to uninstall and reinstall Pando, and that is likely the root of her laptop issues...wish she hadn't done it that way without calling me, but it is what it is now...the laptop runs very sloppy now and FW doesn't play well for her at all, particularly graphics...

As for running the game, is Pando necessary in any way, such as updates, etc...???...

Thanks for your input...as I am downloading FW at this moment, it is a bit too late for me to not use it...but, if Pando can be deleted after the download is complete, then I much prefer that route...thanks again...
  • Firebat - EyrdaFirebat - Eyrda Posts: 4,190 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    It is safe to delete. Not useful for anything.
    [Sigpic][/Sigpic]
    GreyjoyKraken -Firebat has been revealed as an evil bridge troll. Seek him out and solve his riddles three to get the mythical 2013 holiday box.