About these bot spammer...

Axym - Lionheart
Axym - Lionheart Posts: 1,484 Arc User
edited September 2012 in General Discussion
They're getting kinda annoying.... how is PWE allowing them to do this everyday? Surely they are deleting these accounts when it occurs, block ip, block email... I mean, is it really that possible to spam acc making.... Maybe they should make a small IQ test? That way we can also avoid people who just can't function in a game?
Post edited by Axym - Lionheart on
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
As long as I'm captain, the rum shall never be gone.
tinyurl.com/FWEmotes courtesy of Deltatroopa

Comments

• Nyxa - Storm Legion
    Nyxa - Storm Legion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    They're getting kinda annoying.... how is PWE allowing them to do this everyday? Surely they are deleting these accounts when it occurs, block ip, block email... I mean, is it really that possible to spam acc making.... Maybe they should make a small IQ test? That way we can also avoid people who just can't function in a game?

even if the ip is blocked they reset to get a new one..I know ho much of a PITA this is, how do you think I feel?
    [SIGPIC]http://img163.imageshack.us/i/deur0g.png/[/SIGPIC]
    Special thanks to chaosheart27 for the awesome sig
    I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. Edgar Allan Poe
  • Aesica - Storm Legion
    Aesica - Storm Legion Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    IP blocks are among the least effective methods for combating spammers. Best case, they just change to a different IP. Worst case is that the IP block ends up cutting off legitimate users who happened to be in the same IP range.

Add a custom step to the registration process that isn't easily solved by a bot in addition to captcha. Captcha actually kind of sucks anyway because it's mainstreamed enough to where several bots are able to bypass it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Unofficial Forsaken World Talent Calculator:
    http://www.aesica.net/fw
  • Nyxa - Storm Legion
    edited September 2012
    IP blocks are among the least effective methods for combating spammers. Best case, they just change to a different IP. Worst case is that the IP block ends up cutting off legitimate users who happened to be in the same IP range.

Add a custom step to the registration process that isn't easily solved by a bot in addition to captcha. Captcha actually kind of sucks anyway because it's mainstreamed enough to where several bots are able to bypass it.

I'd perfer a level based kind of thing, but I do wish there was a way to do something about this outside of ip banning and captcha
  • Axym - Lionheart
    Axym - Lionheart Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Should edit first post... but too lazy.

I know ip block doesn't do squat, and I was somewhat sleep deprived when I wrote that... >.>

And I really feel for you Nyxa... I mean, it's a real eyesore to be looking at that stuff, I can imagine trying to comb through it all and locking/deleting/moving what have you to get them out.

Kinda makes you wonder what sort of company thinks they can get people to watch sports games on an MMO forum. I mean rugby? I'd be surprised if 1/2 of the American population even knew what rugby was other than a "rough sport" (for some reason rugby has a bad rep where I live as the most dangerous sport where ears/fingers get lost).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    As long as I'm captain, the rum shall never be gone.
    tinyurl.com/FWEmotes courtesy of Deltatroopa
  • asd29
    asd29 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Should edit first post... but too lazy.

I know ip block doesn't do squat, and I was somewhat sleep deprived when I wrote that... >.>

And I really feel for you Nyxa... I mean, it's a real eyesore to be looking at that stuff, I can imagine trying to comb through it all and locking/deleting/moving what have you to get them out.

Kinda makes you wonder what sort of company thinks they can get people to watch sports games on an MMO forum. I mean rugby? I'd be surprised if 1/2 of the American population even knew what rugby was other than a "rough sport" (for some reason rugby has a bad rep where I live as the most dangerous sport where ears/fingers get lost).

Ears do get lost in the scrum that's why you see props and forwards wearing tape around their heads. A collapsed scrum is also one of the most dangerous situations in any sport as it commonly leads to broken necks/vertebrae

A level based thing is not the way IMO - there are nubs who do want help and will do the sensible thing and look on forums and ask here. It just alienates them.
    As a level 80MM my advice for anyone wanting to be a MM - fun class to play. But it's not a button mash class. Be prepared for some frustration
  • Aesica - Storm Legion
    edited September 2012
    I'd perfer a level based kind of thing, but I do wish there was a way to do something about this outside of ip banning and captcha

The only real drawback to a level-based filter is that people new to the game, or people from other PWE games who might be curious about this one, will be restricted from posting. That's bad. That will even deter people, believe it or not.

The only realistic option is for PWE's web team to insert in additional "human" checks during account creation. A solution that is procedurally generated--ie, a non-static answer. A solution that is home-grown so that the average script kiddy spammer can't just download **** to bypass it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nyxa - Storm Legion
    edited September 2012
    The only real drawback to a level-based filter is that people new to the game, or people from other PWE games who might be curious about this one, will be restricted from posting. That's bad. That will even deter people, believe it or not.

The only realistic option is for PWE's web team to insert in additional "human" checks during account creation. A solution that is procedurally generated--ie, a non-static answer. A solution that is home-grown so that the average script kiddy spammer can't just download **** to bypass it.

you mean like the math question or the new ones that are comming out where you need to match things together, I'd be all for that, and yeah I did forget about that one small issue about the level thing
  • Aesica - Storm Legion
    edited September 2012
    Yup, exactly like that. I'm an admin on a forum for another MMO (unofficial, but it was THE place to be back in its time--it's dead now though) and a simple custom framework that randomly generates questions like "What is eight plus one? Please spell out your answer." or "Are you a human?" etc work wonders against nearly all spambots.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Faeles - Storm Legion
    Faeles - Storm Legion Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Use the IQ test that is in the game?

Or use the Skewered numbers and letters that are used to post?

Or maybe, because they like them :/
  • Larann - Storm Legion
    Larann - Storm Legion Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Geesh, had to go to page 11 to get Forsaken World content!
  • Trogotha - Storm Legion
    Trogotha - Storm Legion Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Geesh, had to go to page 11 to get Forsaken World content!

Seems to be a reoccurring issue lately. Although they've gotten faster about cleaning it up with each instance. Maybe by the 500th time it happens, they'll learn to ban accounts based on a combination of account name, email supplied, and ip presented. :rolleyes:
    Dear PWE Staff: I can haz avatar nao plox? :D
    For SCIENCE (and the LULZ)!
  • parking
    parking Posts: 1,101 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    what I am really surprised about is that the multiple forums being spamed owned by mutiple national and Multi-National companies have not got together, hired a Hacker, and yes there are * Hackers * out there for hire, Im pretty sure the FBI, CIA, MicroSoft and a few other worldly organizations have them on staff, and figured out a way to actually Spam the Spammers,,,

In this day and age, its not all that hard to actually track down some stupid comp someplace spewing out spam,

and pay someone a few $1000 US to go and give them a * Fire Sale *
    You cant fix STUPID, but YOU CAN KILL IT ! ! !
    FYI:90% of my post is sarcasm,read it again and figure it out!
  • ILikeBigGu - Illyfue
    ILikeBigGu - Illyfue Posts: 1,066 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    just block the text/message/link they are giving out? if they are doing commersial for something and not pure spam.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Credits to BerenOneHand for the awesome sig

New arena video (2015/05/01):
    youtube.com/watch?v=o3_ds-W-Hpo
  • crabclaw
    crabclaw Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    We're still in the process of implementing spambot countermeasures. It's going to take something more significant than ip bans/etc, since those have been relatively ineffective. We're working on it, though.
  • Trogotha - Storm Legion
    Trogotha - Storm Legion Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    crabclaw wrote: »
    We're still in the process of implementing spambot countermeasures. It's going to take something more significant than ip bans/etc, since those have been relatively ineffective. We're working on it, though.

As a staff member in another game, I can recommend http://www.stopforumspam.com/ as a good place to start or at least use as a reference for known spammers as well as submit any known spammers to help others.

I have no affiliation with the site other than the game I'm staff for uses it to help control our forum spam. It works rather well but then again, staff do manual checks on a periodic basis using custom built apps by the game devs so I have no idea how well it could be adapted to automated measures that would probably serve PWE better.
    Dear PWE Staff: I can haz avatar nao plox? :D
    For SCIENCE (and the LULZ)!
  • frogwhistler
    frogwhistler Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    As a temporary measure I would suggest stopping hyperlinking and any www text. If they can't refer people to anything it would become pointless to them.
  • Firebat - Eyrda
    Firebat - Eyrda Posts: 4,190 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I suggest level 10 requirement to post.
    10 posts to new topic.

Make the **** download a few gigs to post.
    [Sigpic][/Sigpic]
    GreyjoyKraken -Firebat has been revealed as an evil bridge troll. Seek him out and solve his riddles three to get the mythical 2013 holiday box.
  • Nyxa - Storm Legion
    edited September 2012
    I suggest level 10 requirement to post.
    10 posts to new topic.

Make the **** download a few gigs to post.

I suggested this, an it was pointed out that it would be somewhat hard for newbies that haven't even started to ask q's if they can't post
  • Firebat - Eyrda
    Firebat - Eyrda Posts: 4,190 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I suggested this, an it was pointed out that it would be somewhat hard for newbies that haven't even started to ask q's if they can't post

Well the newbies don't need to know anything. Zomg what class should I play. Does this for game dem play on da msdos. Everything they ever ask before playing has been asked aand snswered in newbie forum. We don't even bother responding anymore to that ****.

Or how about block all forums BUT the newbie one til level 10.

Its not complicated to stop the bots ...
    [Sigpic][/Sigpic]
    GreyjoyKraken -Firebat has been revealed as an evil bridge troll. Seek him out and solve his riddles three to get the mythical 2013 holiday box.
  • alaxwilson4u
    alaxwilson4u Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    i hate spammers... i can see them in many forums nowadays
  • frogwhistler
    frogwhistler Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Mods will you please implement captcha or temporary liink blocking? This idiots getting ridiculous. Probably getting fatter and lonelier too.
  • fthawe
    fthawe Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    To make forum spammer stop::

1. After registering MUST wait 7 days before allowing to post
    2. Make so lock cannot be averted

Pros: Caption contest noobs are taken down by 50% only the other alts will be there
    Forum spammer left helpless and raging

Cons: Actual new player cannot post (But a new player would know about forums?)
    Pros: 50 lbs Cons: 25lbs
    Pros outweigh the cons

BOOM DONE
  • RocksYaSoxOff - Storm Legion
    RocksYaSoxOff - Storm Legion Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Another 6 pages of spam as I checked in on the forums before writing this. Fourth page with an actual FW related posting.

Seriously, think it's time to put some of that cash shop revenue to good use and hire night time hours, weekend staff. A previous game I played, they had a GM for the night time hours and was also a tech support person. They had minimum 1 - 2 GM's working weekends, tech support on the weekends and forum moderators. These moderators were "volunteers" from the player base. The powers granted to the volunteer moderators were limited but allowed them to handle concerns we had and deal with forum based stuff.

There was a set amount of GM's and volunteers for each server, that way everyone was represented. GM's are obviously hired by the head hanchos of the company. The volunteers were chosen by the GM's based on answers to a questionnaire and player feed back about those who were applying.

They say proactive action is better than reactive action. Something that usually makes business between a company and their clientelle alot better and longer lasting.
  • fthawe
    fthawe Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    To double post and bump
  • Nyxa - Storm Legion
    edited September 2012
    Mods will you please implement captcha or temporary liink blocking? This idiots getting ridiculous. Probably getting fatter and lonelier too.

sure I'd love to add something, but I don't have the access to the codes to do anything