test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

crabclawcrabclaw Posts: 953 Arc User
edited September 2012 in General Discussion
As many people know, the avatar situation on the FW forums has always been relatively up in the air. We've got a set of automatically updating avatars that are based on character level, but oftentimes run into technical problems with avatars failing to update, showing the wrong level, etc.

On a couple other PWE forums, a variety of preset avatars have been made that you can freely choose from. This would remove the problem of avatars failing to display, showing wrong info, etc. However, this also means your character level won't be present. Is this a solution all of you forum goers out there are interested in?

I could potentially run an event that gives an avatar frame, and then let you guys out there make your own, and implement the best ones as official selections. If anyone has alternative ideas, feel free to post them here. In the short term though, we'll be working on fixing the current avatars, as well as adding the missing level 80 version. Thanks everyone!
Post edited by crabclaw on

Comments

• Firebat - EyrdaFirebat - Eyrda Posts: 4,190 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Make your own avatar event sounds fun... As well as title?

Do I instawin one for first post?
    [Sigpic][/Sigpic]
    GreyjoyKraken -Firebat has been revealed as an evil bridge troll. Seek him out and solve his riddles three to get the mythical 2013 holiday box.
  • Borsook - EyrdaBorsook - Eyrda Posts: 2,951 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Honestly I don't mind the wrong avatars that much, it's the missing avatars that are the biggest problem. Solve it for once lol :p
  • Riselight - IllyfueRiselight - Illyfue Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I don't have problems with the level, but my avatar is some pink haired priest, and I'm a blue haired mage?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    I don't have problems with the level, but my avatar is some pink haired priest, and I'm a blue haired mage?

Yea....look next to your post. Your avatar is nonexistant
    [Sigpic][/Sigpic]
    GreyjoyKraken -Firebat has been revealed as an evil bridge troll. Seek him out and solve his riddles three to get the mythical 2013 holiday box.
  • DeathRider - EyrdaDeathRider - Eyrda Posts: 376 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    A Pre-Set Avatars or Upload your own Avatar I like those.
    [sigpic]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig/enjin-46579-1307226035276116204-green.png[/sigpic]

Endurance is one of the most difficult disciplines, but it is to the one who endures that the FINAL Victory comes.
    edited September 2012
    Yea....look next to your post. Your avatar is nonexistant

hm_f79.jpg
    Looks like this
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aishleen - EyrdaAishleen - Eyrda Posts: 2,005 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Custom avatars and custom titles (maybe?) xD Maybe even in game custom titles based on some event(s) / contest(s) I'd love those :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    hm_f79.jpg
    Looks like this

No. Next to your post looks like this.
    [Sigpic][/Sigpic]
  • Brim_McRoy - EyrdaBrim_McRoy - Eyrda Posts: 3,047 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Make your own avatar event sounds fun... As well as title?

Do I instawin one for first post?

I DECLARE... a TOTAL FLAWLESS VICTORY
    hm_f79.jpg
    Looks like this

be that as it may, it doesnt show on coments, neither does mine or many other players
    FWs only Acolyte of Khorne --> warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Khorne
    Loki and Crabclaw: The Lost Gods of FW

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    In fact.... Now that i look at the link... All the avatars are just placeholders and not representations of our chars.

http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/en/fw/redesign2011/forum/avatar/hm_f79.jpg

Hm_f79.jpg

Human mage female 79

Play around with it...
    Dm dwarf marksman
    Kv kindred vampire

M76 male 76

Etc.
    [Sigpic][/Sigpic]
    edited September 2012
    Yeah idk, it's bugged someway xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    In fact.... Now that i look at the link... All the avatars are just placeholders and not representations of our chars.

http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/en/fw/redesign2011/forum/avatar/hm_f79.jpg

Hm_f79.jpg

Human mage female 79

Play around with it...
    Dm dwarf marksman
    Kv kindred vampire

M76 male 76

Etc.

yep default for prots are helmeted only thing is though that wars and Prots helmets cover the entire face... ild rather see the eyepatch/mohawk Brim has then the default... but default better than nothing at least

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    You can't seriously expect to have an avatar that looks like your in-game char right? Unless they make an avatar for every player.
    edited September 2012
    You can't seriously expect to have an avatar that looks like your in-game char right? Unless they make an avatar for every player.

Pwi had close representations as I recall. Pretty sure hair color was the same....but that was a while ago...
    And as for fw. There are all of like 20 combinations for faces... Wouldn't be too hard to have it generate an individual avatar combining the 5-6 choices of each attribute. Not that they ever would.

In fact... It could be done much simpler that way.

Have two images...
    Border, 80 images. Lv1-80.
    Characters... Arranged by M/f, hair colors, and class

Comes to... Like... 100 different chars and 80 borders rather than 80 images per class like they have now.
    [Sigpic][/Sigpic]
  • Crum - EyrdaCrum - Eyrda Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    crabclaw wrote: »
    I could potentially run an event that gives an avatar frame, and then let you guys out there make your own, and implement the best ones as official selections. If anyone has alternative ideas, feel free to post them here. In the short term though, we'll be working on fixing the current avatars, as well as adding the missing level 80 version. Thanks everyone!

Ray said he was working on the avatars like.. back when he got hired. Idk what they pay some of you guys for really :D

Your short term plan sounds good enough though ;)
  • YggdrasiI - Storm LegionYggdrasiI - Storm Legion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    My question is: if the already made avatars don't show up correctly for whatever reason, what will make any custom ones appear correctly?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[YOU- drah- sil]
    If you want to shorten my name, don't call me 'Ygg.' Call me 'Mana.'

Grandia: Unity ☆ Teamwork ☆ Friendship I]grandia-storm.com/[/I
    ~~~~~~~~~~{ Never get left behind again. }~~~~~~~~~~
  • crabclawcrabclaw Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The forums have to talk to the game servers to get your character level, and from there it draws the avatar you should be using. This hasn't worked very well for some people. Using static avatars removes the necessity for this, so should avoid that problem completely.

For example, my avatar is a static avatar, and has never failed to display or break at any time.
    edited September 2012
    My question is: if the already made avatars don't show up correctly for whatever reason, what will make any custom ones appear correctly?

Script that automatically changes them is broke.
    Custom ones will be set by gms individually... You dont see gms or mods with broke avatars do you? Same method will be used for ours.

Edit.

Crabby beat me.

Though how about just giving 1 year forum veterans "advanced" powers? Hyperlink in sig. Poll making. Choose own avatar. Stuff that mods can do... Just without ability to mess with other peoples posts?
    [Sigpic][/Sigpic]
    edited September 2012
    Pwi had close representations as I recall. Pretty sure hair color was the same....but that was a while ago...
    I haven't played PWI in ages but 2 years ago avatars were just based on level like here, except they weren't broken. No idea why FW is broken.

Of course the avatar for my wiz was close for example but I'm sure for other wizards it wasn't. It just happened to be.
  • CuteNDeadl - Storm LegionCuteNDeadl - Storm Legion Posts: 2,401 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    crabclaw wrote: »
    As many people know, the avatar situation on the FW forums has always been relatively up in the air. We've got a set of automatically updating avatars that are based on character level, but oftentimes run into technical problems with avatars failing to update, showing the wrong level, etc.

On a couple other PWE forums, a variety of preset avatars have been made that you can freely choose from. This would remove the problem of avatars failing to display, showing wrong info, etc. However, this also means your character level won't be present. Is this a solution all of you forum goers out there are interested in?

I like this idea. And tbh, I dont care about the lvl of the avatars that much. I just wish I actually HAD an avatar. :rolleyes:
  • Nosthgil - NyosNosthgil - Nyos Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ...seriously?, forum avatars? is this how GMs spends their time? (omg -_-)

WHO THE ** CARES ABOUT THE ***** AVATARS??? FIX THE STUPID GAME CRASHES IN GAME 1ST, ONCE AND FOR AL PLEEEEEEAAASSSEEEEEEEEEE!!!, ...and then do whatever you want with forum avatars, I don't care.
  • Ghundam - EyrdaGhundam - Eyrda Posts: 321 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    +1

I mean yeah avatars should be working but we are here because of the game not the forums.

Everyone knows my major gripe so I won't bring it up here.
  • Gaiawyn - LionheartGaiawyn - Lionheart Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited September 2012

WHO THE ** CARES ABOUT THE ***** AVATARS??? FIX THE STUPID GAME CRASHES IN GAME 1ST, ONCE AND FOR AL PLEEEEEEAAASSSEEEEEEEEEE!!!, ...and then do whatever you want with forum avatars, I don't care.

While you have a good point, I'm going to go out on a limb here and consider that there's a separate department for forum stuff vs in game stuff. Just sayin'.
  • parkingparking Posts: 1,101 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Ya the missing forum avatars are such a horrible problem,,

FIX THEM !! LETS NOT and SAY WE DID !!!

How about instead of worrying about the Forum Avatars ...

You all focus on FIXING the Instance Crash Issue IN GAME

AND

A few of the ** OTHER ** bugs IN GAME

I particularly love the one that says ** NO DATA ** when I realm hop
    You cant fix STUPID, but YOU CAN KILL IT ! ! !
    FYI:90% of my post is sarcasm,read it again and figure it out!
    edited September 2012
    parking wrote: »
    Ya the missing forum avatars are such a horrible problem,,

FIX THEM !! LETS NOT and SAY WE DID !!!

How about instead of worrying about the Forum Avatars ...

You all focus on FIXING the Instance Crash Issue IN GAME

AND

A few of the ** OTHER ** bugs IN GAME

I particularly love the one that says ** NO DATA ** when I realm hop

Congrats you all got you lifetime dumbarse cards... the FORUMS is controlled/moderated/worked on by the FORUM STAFF wich is different from the Dev staf which will work on the game, granted the Devs use the forums or the sake of Contests, ideas, improvements and ome tech support.

beside the point you ever think its your system thats loaded down :eek: hell im on a cheap **** dell laptop and been playing since November, guess how many times if crash ONLY 5, i get lag spikes because my **** internet, an a for glithes only had 1 or 2 real glitches and a good bit from me letting it overheat...

but since ive doubled over and feel REALLY freacking generous heres an idea take all your P*** of your system unistall all your games you dont play and only keep your favorites... or better yet do us all a favor and take a M67 Frag to it and never get a system again
    While you have a good point, I'm going to go out on a limb here and consider that there's a separate department for forum stuff vs in game stuff. Just sayin'.

She gets it why cant everyone :confused:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ghundam - EyrdaGhundam - Eyrda Posts: 321 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    O we get it Brim don't think we don't. What you don't get is that we don't care. Not in a we don't want the avatars kind of way but in a there is a bunch of bs (balance, bugs, balance, crashes, balance etc) that needs fixing so that the last one we really want to see a post about is ava.......tars! What 2 years and they not working? Cmon.

Incorrectly or not functioning avatars is not exactly shaping my FW experience. Its like you trying to shine the windows on my car when my f............... engine is blown! Its not like I don't appreciate the shiny windows but seriously I can't go anywhere in it so its like WTF!

I know FW developers handle the engine while FW gms etc handle the windows so yeah we are being kinda harsh but mabey the window guys get the point and start telling the engine guys to get the job done right!
  • Axym - LionheartAxym - Lionheart Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I would technically prefer to upload my own, but if that's not a possibility, I'd like to ask for a large variety... >.>

BTW I reallyyyyyyy miss my avatar :( just broke one day... I didn't even level or nothin'
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    As long as I'm captain, the rum shall never be gone.
    tinyurl.com/FWEmotes courtesy of Deltatroopa
  • Darksiren - Storm LegionDarksiren - Storm Legion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I can never select (2) of my characters because the avatars are missing, and you have to click on the avatar picture to change forum character avatar. This is what i have the biggest problem with.
  • PostgreSQL - EyrdaPostgreSQL - Eyrda Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Im all for the event idea.

IF WE GET REWARD WITH LEAF FOR MAKE THE BEST ONE ;3

then yes event pls :3
    [SIGPIC]http://rcupload.com/images/QeRFD.png[/SIGPIC]
    -->MSSQL Is NOT my alt !<--
  • parkingparking Posts: 1,101 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Congrats you all got you lifetime dumbarse cards... the FORUMS is controlled/moderated/worked on by the FORUM STAFF wich is different from the Dev staf which will work on the game, granted the Devs use the forums or the sake of Contests, ideas, improvements and ome tech support.

beside the point you ever think its your system thats loaded down :eek: hell im on a cheap **** dell laptop and been playing since November, guess how many times if crash ONLY 5, i get lag spikes because my **** internet, an a for glithes only had 1 or 2 real glitches and a good bit from me letting it overheat...

but since ive doubled over and feel REALLY freacking generous heres an idea take all your P*** of your system unistall all your games you dont play and only keep your favorites... or better yet do us all a favor and take a M67 Frag to it and never get a system again

She gets it why cant everyone :confused:

Like someone said,, I dont need the Windows polished if the Engine doesnt start,,,,

as for a cr4ppy sys? naw,,, this sys is only a 2.6 gig dual with 2 X tera HDs( one acc per ) / 16 gigs of ram, XP OS stripped to gamer style (( Open Task Manager and only has 15 items running including 2 Clients )) Inter cooled with 2 X 10 in fans + 6 X 3in fans seperate power supply for fans

NOT MY SYSTEM ....

So when I swap rlms and get ** NO DATA or acc doesnt exist ** thats PWE not me DUH!

So the last thing I really want PWE to spend time, money, resources on is the Forums
    When there are atleast 15 - 20 know issues IG that need attention
    You cant fix STUPID, but YOU CAN KILL IT ! ! !
    FYI:90% of my post is sarcasm,read it again and figure it out!