...all dem new orbs

AlexejRoma - Lionheart
AlexejRoma - Lionheart Posts: 204 Arc User
edited September 2012 in General Discussion
It makes me wonder who is responsible for deciding the financial pros and cons of using orbs to distribute most of the new mounts, pets and fashion.

Put for example the new mounts in cs for 8k leafs each, I would buy that, and so would many others I'm sure.
Instead it's all orbs and I refuse to gamble 8k leafs and not even get the main prize.
Post edited by AlexejRoma - Lionheart on
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• PoPxTart - Lionheart
    PoPxTart - Lionheart Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    if all that pretty mounts would be to get for 100% in the cash shop for 8k leaves or so i would def buy it...cause i know im gonna have it for sure. i didnt learned to sh it money yet so i cant throw 20k+ leaves in the game on orbs and dun get what i want in the end and no... the rate ppl spamming orbs decreased by a lot. no chance to get it even from other rich guys anymore. the few that does stop as soon they got theirs. dont know how it looks on other servers but noone exept maybe 3 or 4 ppl actually opening all the new orbs anymore. just my 2 cents
    [SIGPIC]http://fw-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34718012001&dateline=1429303178[/SIGPIC]

<Forever with AlexejRomanov>
    PoPxTart - lvl 90 Wind Bard
    UsagiDrops - lvl 90 Frost Mage
    LimeBunnie - lvl 90 Divine Priest
  • parking
    parking Posts: 1,101 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    OK SERIOUSLY ! Its NOT GANBLING !!! YOU ALWAYS GET SOMETHING !!

Notice we are never given odds to win

You always get Token of Faith ( unless you win a higher level thing )

So the ORBs are NOT Gambling, you are BUYING Token of Faith

If you get something else you get ripped off for what your buying and get something better

You are NOT going to get a Felicity Pet stone, or an Alastor Flying mount

YOU ARE GOING TO GET TOKEN of FAITH ,,,

There are no odds posted ,,,

they all say, *** this pack has a chance to contain one of the following ***

that is NOT technically gambling

it is a Mind Trick to get you to spend your money cause you think your gonna get the BIG ONE

Gambling is buying something, with posted odds, where technically you are giving your money for a Chance at something that is NOT specific only suggested. If is stated that 90% of you are going to lose your money and get nothing
    IE: One Person will win the 5 Million Grand prize,, 10 will win 100,000, 25 will win 10,000
    the rest are just giving us thier money and might as well flush it down the toilet!!

ORBs?? well NOT GAMBLING, your buying an unspecified number of Token of Faith and maybe your gonna get something better
    You cant fix STUPID, but YOU CAN KILL IT ! ! !
    FYI:90% of my post is sarcasm,read it again and figure it out!
  • Riselight - Illyfue
    Riselight - Illyfue Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    parking wrote: »

If you get something else you get ripped off for what your buying and get something better

You are NOT going to get a Felicity Pet stone, or an Alastor Flying mount

YOU ARE GOING TO GET TOKEN of FAITH ,,,

There are no odds posted ,,,

they all say, *** this pack has a chance to contain one of the following ***

that is NOT technically gambling

it is a Mind Trick to get you to spend your money cause you think your gonna get the BIG ONE

Gambling is buying something, with posted odds, where technically you are giving your money for a Chance at something that is NOT specific only suggested. If is stated that 90% of you are going to lose your money and get nothing
    IE: One Person will win the 5 Million Grand prize,, 10 will win 100,000, 25 will win 10,000
    the rest are just giving us thier money and might as well flush it down the toilet!!

ORBs?? well NOT GAMBLING, your buying an unspecified number of Token of Faith and maybe your gonna get something better

You buy orbs for the mount, not for the Tokens of Faith... Also you get only 4x ToF every orb, which is worth about 4g, the new orbs are 40 leaves each, if leaves are 35s each, then 40 leaves are worth 14g, so yeah you lose 10g ---> it is gambling, your argument is invalid :)
    The chances of getting a jackpot (fashion or higher) is just way too low (atleast for the price of 40 leaves) so if you want to play it safe, never buy orbs, wait for new items that are not in orbs and see if you like those, or sell your leaves, it will gain you more than this ridiculous kind of gambling.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • parking
    edited September 2012
    You buy orbs for the mount, not for the Tokens of Faith... Also you get only 4x ToF every orb, which is worth about 4g, the new orbs are 40 leaves each, if leaves are 35s each, then 40 leaves are worth 14g, so yeah you lose 10g ---> it is gambling, your argument is invalid :)
    The chances of getting a jackpot (fashion or higher) is just way too low (atleast for the price of 40 leaves) so if you want to play it safe, never buy orbs, wait for new items that are not in orbs and see if you like those, or sell your leaves, it will gain you more than this ridiculous kind of gambling.

you need to look up the definition of Gambling ,,,

I said its ** TECHNICALLY ** not gambling because your always getting something with no odds

You ALWAYS get ToFs ,,, ALWAYS, so ** TECHNICALLY ** you are buying ToFs

if you ** CHOOSE ** to pay 40 leafs to BUY the orb that HAS ToFs thats up to you

Just cause you ** MIGHT ** get something other then ToFs is irrelavent to the arguement

YOU ALWAYS GET ATLEAST ToFs, so ** TECHNICALLY ** its not gambling

this is how a USA based company gets away with orbs, its a Technicality,, just because people are willing to buy ToFs at an outrageous price, its not PWEs fault, and just because they bundle a bunch of rare unotainable items inside the orb you are buying to get your ToFs, its not PWEs fault if you dont win a Felicity soul, PWE only says the orb

MAY CONTAIN

but as long as you atleast ALWAYS get ToFs, technically NOT GAMBLING!! :eek:
  • Summanus - Illyfue
    Summanus - Illyfue Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    It's gambling plain and simple.

If you don't think so, you need help.
    Summanus | 80 Diamond Geezer Protector - retired

Play the game, don't let the game play you.
  • Riselight - Illyfue
    Riselight - Illyfue Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    you need to look up the definition of Gambling ,,,

I said its ** TECHNICALLY ** not gambling because your always getting something with no odds

You ALWAYS get ToFs ,,, ALWAYS, so ** TECHNICALLY ** you are buying ToFs

if you ** CHOOSE ** to pay 40 leafs to BUY the orb that HAS ToFs thats up to you

Just cause you ** MIGHT ** get something other then ToFs is irrelavent to the arguement

YOU ALWAYS GET ATLEAST ToFs, so ** TECHNICALLY ** its not gambling

this is how a USA based company gets away with orbs, its a Technicality,, just because people are willing to buy ToFs at an outrageous price, its not PWEs fault, and just because they bundle a bunch of rare unotainable items inside the orb you are buying to get your ToFs, its not PWEs fault if you dont win a Felicity soul, PWE only says the orb

MAY CONTAIN

but as long as you atleast ALWAYS get ToFs, technically NOT GAMBLING!! :eek:

It doesn't mean that you always get something, it's not gambling. As I said, a 40 leave orb is worth about 10~15g and 4x ToF is 4g, so you lose atleast 6g, if you lose something, it's gambling.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ghundrop - Eyrda
    Ghundrop - Eyrda Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Even though you will get something you don't know exactly what you will get. Instead you know what you could get. In fact I know (based on my own experience buying orbs) that I have a higher chance of getting the item with the least value and I have NEVER gotten the item with the highest value.

To my mind that was a gamble.

In any event I do not care. This system has been a part of these f2p/p2w games. I think we can at this stage just get over it and move on.
  • parking
    edited September 2012
    Even though you will get something you don't know exactly what you will get. Instead you know what you could get. In fact I know (based on my own experience buying orbs) that I have a higher chance of getting the item with the least value and I have NEVER gotten the item with the highest value.

To my mind that was a gamble.

In any event I do not care. This system has been a part of these f2p/p2w games. I think we can at this stage just get over it and move on.

well, TBH, I DONT buy orbs,, at all, what I would love to see are the ODDS ,,

IE: Canada 6/49 Lottery

Number of Matches -
    Win ----
    Odds of Winning (approximate)
    6/6 -

80.5 % of the Pools Fund -
    1 in 13,983,816
    5/6 + Bonus -

5.75 % of the Pools Fund -
    1 in 2,330,636
    5/6 -

4.75 % of the Pools Fund -
    1 in 55,492
    4/6

9 % of the Pools Fund -
    1 in 1,033
    3/6 -

-- $10 prize
    1 in 56.7
    2/6 + Bonus -

$5 prize -
    1 in 81.2

Any prize

-- 1 in 32.3

CRABBY what are the ODDS Buddy? or if you actually post them does PWE need a Lottery license?

ToF = 100% we know that for sure (( we will atleast get ToFs ))

SORRY, Im BORED!! dual acc GBQs ,,,
  • Ghundrop - Eyrda
    Ghundrop - Eyrda Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The odds are not posted and never will be since it would discourage more casual cash shoppers from buying them on impulse unless of course they desperately needed TOFs.

My more substantial contribution is that all you have to do is look at the order of the list to see what is least likely to drop from orb and what is most likely to.

In any event knowing the odds does not increase your chances. What does make sense though is that if there is a particular item you want, wait till someone lucks out and buy it from them. Even at the inflated price you will ultimately pay less than if you just keep buying orbs.

Many major orb buyers end up using the "big one" to break even or make a slight profit. Others go on major lucky streaks and end up making a huge profit.
  • Aely - Illyfue
    Aely - Illyfue Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    if you win a prize everytime is not gambling
    You buy orbs for the mount, not for the Tokens of Faith... Also you get only 4x ToF every orb, which is worth about 4g, the new orbs are 40 leaves each, if leaves are 35s each, then 40 leaves are worth 14g, so yeah you lose 10g ---> it is gambling, your argument is invalid

resell the tokens for 3.50 golds
  • plusonecharisma
    plusonecharisma Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Orbs are gambling and Token of Faith value is dependent on the total sales of orbs. The more orbs sold, the less their value. Posting odds is not a requirement for an action to be considered gambling. I for one wish it was removed from games.

If you wanted to be real technical, orbs are closer to sweepstakes than anything else. If willy wonka is giving you a change to win a golden ticket with every chocolate bar you buy, that form of gambling is called a sweepstakes and has to have odds posted for chances of winning and outside oversight. Same should apply for games with virtual economies. After all, a virtual economy is nothing more than active trading of counterfeit currency.
  • Aesica - Storm Legion
    Aesica - Storm Legion Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Oh come on now, give me a break. The 100% chance to gain tokens of faith is just an **** cover for PWE that allows them to skirt around gambling laws, particularly those involving minors. They do the same thing in Star Trek Online, except orbs are called lockboxes and tokens of faith are called lobi crystals.

Nobody buys orbs exclusively for the tokens of faith, just like nobody in STO buys master keys (needed to unlock the lockboxes, which drop in-game) exclusively for lobi crystals.

While it's not "technically" gambling from the perspective of a rules lawyer, it's a mechanic that most certainly preys upon people with a gambling problem. And that is why I will never actually buy an orb. EVER! :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Unofficial Forsaken World Talent Calculator:
    http://www.aesica.net/fw
  • PowerBuffs - Storm Legion
    PowerBuffs - Storm Legion Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I am not against the random boxes, but the fact is that this ones have REALY REALY LOW chance of getting the good item, then people get dissapointed fast and wont buy more orbs.
    Maybe the gamble addicts.