DIY gamer system

Brim_McRoy - Eyrda
Brim_McRoy - Eyrda Posts: 3,047 Arc User
edited August 2012 in Off-Topic Discussion
i heard it is usually better/cheaper to buy your own stuff and build your own Computer game system...

So i must ask what would be the best stuff to get and any tips on how to do it :confused: sorry but please keep it simple im definitely not as computer savy as i would like to be :o
Post edited by Brim_McRoy - Eyrda on
FWs only Acolyte of Khorne --> warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Khorne
Loki and Crabclaw: The Lost Gods of FW

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• Aesica - Storm Legion
    Aesica - Storm Legion Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    If you're not computer savvy then you shouldn't be building your own system. As a benchmark, ask yourself this: Are you 100% comfortable replacing any component in your existing system, and are you familiar with all of the parts, why they are important, and what will/will not work in a given system?

If you answered no, then you're much better off going to one of places that lets you customize your PC specs. Since they do the actual building, there's little that can go wrong.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Unofficial Forsaken World Talent Calculator:
    http://www.aesica.net/fw
  • supernoobster
    supernoobster Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    If your trying to go with a computer for good gaming status, the following is recommended:

This is a general basic idea for a DYI gaming computer (still need a few other things like cables, cd drive and such):
    4gb 1333mhz (8gb is recommended)
    hd 5770 1gb or a 450 gtx 1gb (hd 6870 1gb or 560 gtx ti recommended)
    tri-core cpu like a x3 445 (x4 955 amd is recommended, also note that a dual core is also fine)
    any hard drive thats at least 250gb and uses sata cables
    any compatible motherboard that can support up to 16gb ddr3 ram
    A good med sized case that holds at least 4 fans (three of which should be 120mm fans)
    a good quality 550watt power supply (good for overhead/future upgrades)
    windows 7 OS

This is about the minimal requirement for today's gaming needs. You should aim for the recommended unless your on a tight budget.

If you need anything specific, I can give you a list of decent gaming parts from newegg and a few popular sites that are good with reviewing parts.

Another tip for building a decent gaming computer, have at least $400 for a budget.

DYI computers are a lot cheaper (pretty much a fact). Premade/retail computers are often about $200-$350 dollars more than what they are worth, might be different depending on what they are made for. Cheap retail gaming computers are about $650-ist and +. They often come with great cpus (i5s or i7s), but they will always come with bad graphics cards (gaming wise anyways) like a hd 7570 or a 530 gt plus a 350 watt or 400 watt power supply. Even their cases are often cheap.

Edit: Forgot to mention that putting a computer together is quick and easy. Scary at first though since you always feel like your about to break something.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y8T8QAsDZs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rND_LSux61M
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2k0iKBvFhw
  • Brim_McRoy - Eyrda
    edited August 2012
    If your trying to go with a computer for good gaming status, the following is recommended:

This is a general basic idea for a DYI gaming computer (still need a few other things like cables, cd drive and such):
    4gb 1333mhz (8gb is recommended)
    hd 5770 1gb or a 450 gtx 1gb (hd 6870 1gb or 560 gtx ti recommended)
    tri-core cpu like a x3 445 (x4 955 amd is recommended, also note that a dual core is also fine)
    any hard drive thats at least 250gb and uses sata cables
    any compatible motherboard that can support up to 16gb ddr3 ram
    A good med sized case that holds at least 4 fans (three of which should be 120mm fans)
    a good quality 550watt power supply (good for overhead/future upgrades)
    windows 7 OS

This is about the minimal requirement for today's gaming needs. You should aim for the recommended unless your on a tight budget.

If you need anything specific, I can give you a list of decent gaming parts from newegg and a few popular sites that are good with reviewing parts.

Another tip for building a decent gaming computer, have at least $400 for a budget.

DYI computers are a lot cheaper (pretty much a fact). Premade/retail computers are often about $200-$350 dollars more than what they are worth, might be different depending on what they are made for. Cheap retail gaming computers are about $650-ist and +. They often come with great cpus (i5s or i7s), but they will always come with bad graphics cards (gaming wise anyways) like a hd 7570 or a 530 gt plus a 350 watt or 400 watt power supply. Even their cases are often cheap.

Edit: Forgot to mention that putting a computer together is quick and easy. Scary at first though since you always feel like your about to break something.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y8T8QAsDZs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rND_LSux61M
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2k0iKBvFhw

thanks man the info is much appreciated :D
    If you're not computer savvy then you shouldn't be building your own system. As a benchmark, ask yourself this: Are you 100% comfortable replacing any component in your existing system, and are you familiar with all of the parts, why they are important, and what will/will not work in a given system?

If you answered no, then you're much better off going to one of places that lets you customize your PC specs. Since they do the actual building, there's little that can go wrong.

Its a project of mine, especially when i found out the cost of a design-your-own computer me and a friend made on a website :eek: (for the life of me i cant remember which one either)

im actually pretty mechanically inclined if i can see something done before, and if there is a part i DO get stuck/uncomfortable on i know some people that worked on them before (home and business styles 99% of the time, so they couldnt give me much help on what would be good)

but heck if i cant use it someone else might on here. and if they want to but one i would recommend Dell and Alienware from personal experience they seemed the best.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Queen_Eli - Illyfue
    Queen_Eli - Illyfue Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited August 2012

but heck if i cant use it someone else might on here. and if they want to but one i would recommend Dell and Alienware from personal experience they seemed the best.

lmao dell and alienware ... They have highest comisions on the market... with a 800 $ budget you build a PC x2 better than any 800 Dell or Alienware system. just for you to know...
  • Queen_Eli - Illyfue
    Queen_Eli - Illyfue Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited August 2012

lmao dell and alienware ... They have highest comisions on the market... with a 800 $ budget you build a PC x2 better than any 800$ Dell or Alienware system. just for you to know...
  • krimpton35
    krimpton35 Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    lmao dell and alienware ... They have highest comisions on the market... with a 800 $ budget you build a PC x2 better than any 800$ Dell or Alienware system. just for you to know...

I agree with this....

With those makes you pay for the name, and all the marketing that goes with it...

I am currently configuring a new pc with these people here in the UK..

http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/LandingPages/DreamPC/

They have good reviews a forum for customers to talk over specs, where even the pc builders chip in with comments..

Wont tell you what im getting.. but i need a whole new desk to put it all on :p
  • CuteNDeadl - Storm Legion
    CuteNDeadl - Storm Legion Posts: 2,401 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Ppl who buy alienware is just like ppl who buy apple products. Paying extra for a brand.
  • Javert - Storm Legion
    Javert - Storm Legion Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Ppl who buy alienware is just like ppl who buy apple products. Paying extra for a brand.

And alienware is owned by dell :eek::eek::eek:
    Proud leader of Bushido Since Closed beta Phase 3. The longest Leadership on Storm Server.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Javert - 80 Protector - Diamond
    Gavrouche - 80 Marksman - Burst
    Vahlian - 80 Warrior - Elemental

If You experience Loadscreen Crashes Follow the Steps to Try to fix it! -->
    http://fw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=429091
  • Brim_McRoy - Eyrda
    edited August 2012
    all alienware is is a supped up Dell :p