test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What are some of the better tanking classes?

Ethersong - EyrdaEthersong - Eyrda Posts: 60 Arc User
edited June 2012 in Class Discussion
If you choose a certain build on a ranged class could you make it better at tanking?
Post edited by Ethersong - Eyrda on
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hear you not the sound of the Wind?
More gentle than a feather?
Not be it Water, Light, this Hymn
It is the Song of Ether.

Gentle as a summer breeze
Skin Golden, white hair long;
Blowing swiftly through the trees
I am the Ethersong.

Current level: 60

Comments

• Fullcore - LionheartFullcore - Lionheart Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Any class can tank depending on build and gear. (I know i like to lol)
    80 Ice mage
  • Ginius - IllyfueGinius - Illyfue Posts: 2,509 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    If you choose a certain build on a ranged class could you make it better at tanking?

No ranged class are not meant to tank.
    In your level range you will not be able to tank most of the time.

But first what is tanking?
    It is to be able to keep aggro and survive on one or several mobs.

The only kind of tanking an AOE can do is tanking mobs in instance.

In your level range as any AOE class you won't be able to:
    - tank AOS
    - tank welkin
    - tank Kluer in FP
    - tank Charlotte in AS
    - etc..

However once you reach endgame and start to build yourself hard, if you manage to get enough DPS to keep aggro, then you'll be a decent tank as well, but this is not gonna happen when you level unless:
    - you spend a lot of money early to get OP stats
    - you go in instance below your level range.

The only class who can decently tank at early levels are : prot/war and to a certain extent vamps (for example blood vamp can solo some WBs in the early stages but not in the top tier DPS wise)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Signature by Baby.
    Level 90 since august 2014

- Elemental Warrior 90
    - Ice Mage 90
    - Blood Raider 87
    - Divine Priest 85
    - Water Bard 83
    - Precision MM 80
    - Demon? I hope soon xD
  • Ashaw - EyrdaAshaw - Eyrda Posts: 1,127 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Blood Vamp.

I remember reading something from Luciferia long time ago.

anyways I would think a blood vamp would be able to tank.

1)Heal themselves + a healer healing htem
    2)They can be built for tanking or healing.
    3)Just going by what i have heard

other then that... almost any Cash shop ***** can be a tank (probably)

Warrior or Prot are your best bet though
    Class Choosing Guide -
    fw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=188881

Race Choosing Guide -
    fw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=193701

They know I'm right -
    fw-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=3587381&postcount=43

[SIGPIC]http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/277/1/0/ashaw_siggy_1_by_zerojigoku-d4bsgdu.png[/SIGPIC]
    I dont play Ashaw anymore -_- its a boring class
    edited June 2012
    Blood Vamp.

I remember reading something from Luciferia long time ago.

anyways I would think a blood vamp would be able to tank.

1)Heal themselves + a healer healing htem
    2)They can be built for tanking or healing.
    3)Just going by what i have heard

other then that... almost any Cash shop ***** can be a tank (probably)

Warrior or Prot are your best bet though

Sigh.. care to read what I write?

Blood vamp are good to solo, not to tank.. Tanking imply that you can keep aggro which a bloodvamp not outgearing the party by a lot, will never be able to do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Signature by Baby.

- Elemental Warrior 90
    - Ice Mage 90
    - Blood Raider 87
    - Divine Priest 85
    - Water Bard 83
    - Precision MM 80
    - Demon? I hope soon xD
  • Dragomir - IllyfueDragomir - Illyfue Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Sigh.. care to read what I write?

Blood vamp are good to solo, not to tank.. Tanking imply that you can keep aggro which a bloodvamp not outgearing the party by a lot, will never be able to do.

Bloodvamp sure can tank... a few points in Dark and it can grab aggro quite competently...
    edited June 2012
    Bloodvamp sure can tank... a few points in Dark and it can grab aggro quite competently...

Not quite if there is any decent sin/war/prot/f. mage/dark or inf vamp.. all of them outdps or outaggro blood vamp pretty easily.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Signature by Baby.

- Elemental Warrior 90
    - Ice Mage 90
    - Blood Raider 87
    - Divine Priest 85
    - Water Bard 83
    - Precision MM 80
    - Demon? I hope soon xD
  • Borsook - EyrdaBorsook - Eyrda Posts: 2,951 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Blood Vamps get highest damage on Charmed Strike I believe, not sure on that. With a few points in dark their DPS can be quite high although they are kinda extinct so I can't say from experience at all.
  • Arizll - EyrdaArizll - Eyrda Posts: 1,551 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Water bard would be ideal for the ranged tanking bosses part, but the damage is a little low so might not be able to aggro boss. Definitely viable to solo world bosses though.

Also some classes can go eva tank like dark vampires or dark sins but still need some decent hp I think.
  • ixthuaixthua Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited June 2012

Tanking here is not about build because bosses are immune to cc. If you want to tank many mobs - best way is to get mass stun (elven glacial priest) or mass knockback (wind mage). Boss tanking is solely about holding aggro and surviving 1 hit. With a good healer as a fire mage with 27k hp i tanked Kluer in FP (sometimes he crit nearly 30k, so i used mana shield), Charlotta in AS, 4th boss in GoS and first 2 bosses in ToK. 27k hp is below minimal to tank those instances, but combining priest and mine 2 shields i survived. 30k hp mage can safely tank any of them. With 12/12 boots and lv3 gems mage can get 35k+ buffed hp, so can tank anything. Same about other class (as long as you hold aggro).
    However question was about best tanking class - its definitely protector due to pretty high hp and easy singe and aoe threat generation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Borsook - EyrdaBorsook - Eyrda Posts: 2,951 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    ...except Kluer's AoE that hits for alot is direct damage and bypasses divine and mana shield.
  • Aely - IllyfueAely - Illyfue Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    marble Prot and Aegis warrior
    edited June 2012
    It's funny how most people post without reading what the OP said. She wants ranged tank...
    edited June 2012
    It's funny how most people post without reading what the OP said. She wants ranged tank...

Well ranged can't tank most of the instance in their level range until end game.
    Blood Vamps get highest damage on Charmed Strike I believe, not sure on that. With a few points in dark their DPS can be quite high although they are kinda extinct so I can't say from experience at all.

Well I've played with a few good blood vamp with similar gears are mine (not anymore since I'm like outgearing the bloodvamp I know now) and each time there were a real DPS toon, be it me or an even better class, the bloodvamp couldn't get aggro, I remember Lucifera being a blood/dark vamp too, but well true that there is not a lot of blood vamp anymore.
    ixthua wrote: »
    Tanking here is not about build because bosses are immune to cc. If you want to tank many mobs - best way is to get mass stun (elven glacial priest) or mass knockback (wind mage). Boss tanking is solely about holding aggro and surviving 1 hit. With a good healer as a fire mage with 27k hp i tanked Kluer in FP (sometimes he crit nearly 30k, so i used mana shield), Charlotta in AS, 4th boss in GoS and first 2 bosses in ToK. 27k hp is below minimal to tank those instances, but combining priest and mine 2 shields i survived. 30k hp mage can safely tank any of them. With 12/12 boots and lv3 gems mage can get 35k+ buffed hp, so can tank anything. Same about other class (as long as you hold aggro).
    However question was about best tanking class - its definitely protector due to pretty high hp and easy singe and aoe threat generation.

This is end game or instance you're outleveling.
    Remember FP as a mage at lvl 70-73, I bet you were not even close to 30k hp, and yes kluer's aoe is true damages, even with DU and/or bubble, you could still get hit for 30k+ damages.
    And Kluer use an HP debuff on tank, and at this lvl range with an average pt (no wings) it takes time and you end up with your max HP dropping significantly, I remember having to switch to bloodstance as an elemental to be able to survive his aoe afterlike 50% of fighting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Signature by Baby.

- Elemental Warrior 90
    - Ice Mage 90
    - Blood Raider 87
    - Divine Priest 85
    - Water Bard 83
    - Precision MM 80
    - Demon? I hope soon xD
  • Brim_McRoy - EyrdaBrim_McRoy - Eyrda Posts: 3,047 Arc User
    edited June 2012

if you spec a prots build correctly you can make it to a close-midrange fighter pretty easily :p bot the most common/easy thing but very doable
    FWs only Acolyte of Khorne --> warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Khorne
    Loki and Crabclaw: The Lost Gods of FW

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • homosimpsonshomosimpsons Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I think eva dark vampire is a pretty good tank at 430 eva and 50k hp buffed. Can easily solo certain world bosses with superb dps.
  • Sabriele - Storm LegionSabriele - Storm Legion Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Why does everyone seem to always forget venom assasins, or assassins in general, as tanks? yes, they arent ranged like the OP seems to be asking for, but in the rest of this discussion everyone is like oh vamps/wars/prots.. but as a venom lv80 i can, and have been able to for a while [have tanked fp since lv71].. venoms in particular dish out extraordinary amounts flat damage, which keeps pretty good agg against all but ridiculously csed people, and we have respectable HP/eva..
    Broken Avatar -- . --

IGN : Sabriele
    Class : Assassin
    Level : 80
    Tree : Venom
    edited June 2012
    Why does everyone seem to always forget venom assasins, or assassins in general, as tanks? yes, they arent ranged like the OP seems to be asking for, but in the rest of this discussion everyone is like oh vamps/wars/prots.. but as a venom lv80 i can, and have been able to for a while [have tanked fp since lv71].. venoms in particular dish out extraordinary amounts flat damage, which keeps pretty good agg against all but ridiculously csed people, and we have respectable HP/eva..

Maybe because if you don't talk about ranged tanks, it has been discussed to death before?
    I mean a discussion is only nice when you talk about new stuff, and not talk about old stuff again and again while bringing up old points. Unless you have a new discovery, or the game updates bring something new to the old tanking classes, I'm fairly certain which class is best at tanking has been established before.