test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

2 Week Vacation to NY, or Summer job?

Azurestars - Storm LegionAzurestars - Storm Legion Posts: 10 Arc User
edited June 2012 in Off-Topic Discussion
Note: I have posted this in PWI forum too, but it's like another world, so it's fine. I want to get a broad range of advices...

Hey guys, I'm in a HUGE dilemma....I just recieved a called from Old Navy this afternoon, that they would like to have an interview with me tomorrow at 3:30pm. This is my first job interview, and technically my first job ever(helping cousin in resturant don't count). I'm going to college next fall, so I want to make use of this summer. As a college-bound student, I would need the money. My freshmen year is fully paid off through grants and scholarship. However, if I get this job, it will look good on my future job resume. But, I do not know if I WILL get it or not.

I moved to a small town from NY (homecity). I missed it so much. For 5 years I have been away from it. I found out when I live in this small town that I am 100% a city person. I went into depressions and have lost myself for the past years. I hardly enjoy my high school years here. (I dislike living here). I want to leave this place badly. It has turned my personality almst 360 degrees, and I can't feel many emotions- including happy, joy, excited, etc. The college I'm going to next year is in Austin, which is a city- so I look forward to it.

I want this summer to be significant. My relatives suggest I go find a job, because my other two cousins already working, and I'm not. Well, indirectly, it is inferred very obviously. Even my concious says so. My friends have jobs, so it puts more pressure on me. The trip to NY is 2 weeks long. I doubt I would be hired since I have to miss 3 working days (June 12-14) for the college orientation, and 8working days for (July 1-15) for NY. I'm going to learn my native language (Manderin) more when I return from NY, so my summer is worthwhile. It's either fun, or money. Should I call the interviewer to cancel my appointment, and miss my first job, or not?

:(:confused:

P.S

My job schedule I picked (not sure if they will consider the whole time, or part of it) is Monday through Thursday - Midday till Afternoon (about 12pm ~ 5pm)

It's just that I feel EXTREMELY bored, with nothing to do at home, or around the neighborhood during the summer. It's usually in the 90s & 100s degree throughout the day. I thought having this job will keep me busy, and make the summer go by more faster. I find it such disappointing if I call to cancel my interview...I don't know what to do. My mom yelled at me, and it just makes the situation much more frustrating. She's going to NY with me. I need some advice badly.

If I go on the vacation, I can spend my summer volunteering. I believe that is a good idea too. I have spend part of my previous summer doing the exact same thing. I got my freshmen year paid off (room board, tuition, etc.), and possibly still have scholarship money lefted over. Now that I thought of volunteering, it doesn't seem so bad!
Post edited by Azurestars - Storm Legion on

Comments

• Azurestars - Storm LegionAzurestars - Storm Legion Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Note: I have posted this in PWI forum too, but it's like another world, so it's fine. I want to get a broad range of advices...

Hey guys, I'm in a HUGE dilemma....I just recieved a called from Old Navy this afternoon, that they would like to have an interview with me tomorrow at 3:30pm. This is my first job interview, and technically my first job ever(helping cousin in resturant don't count). I'm going to college next fall, so I want to make use of this summer. As a college-bound student, I would need the money. My freshmen year is fully paid off through grants and scholarship. However, if I get this job, it will look good on my future job resume. But, I do not know if I WILL get it or not.

I moved to a small town from NY (homecity). I missed it so much. For 5 years I have been away from it. I found out when I live in this small town that I am 100% a city person. I went into depressions and have lost myself for the past years. I hardly enjoy my high school years here. (I dislike living here). I want to leave this place badly. It has turned my personality almst 360 degrees, and I can't feel many emotions- including happy, joy, excited, etc. The college I'm going to next year is in Austin, which is a city- so I look forward to it.

I want this summer to be significant. My relatives suggest I go find a job, because my other two cousins already working, and I'm not. Well, indirectly, it is inferred very obviously. Even my concious says so. My friends have jobs, so it puts more pressure on me. The trip to NY is 2 weeks long. I doubt I would be hired since I have to miss 3 working days (June 12-14) for the college orientation, and 8working days for (July 1-15) for NY. I'm going to learn my native language (Manderin) more when I return from NY, so my summer is worthwhile. It's either fun, or money. Should I call the interviewer to cancel my appointment, and miss my first job, or not?

P.S

My job schedule I picked (not sure if they will consider the whole time, or part of it) is Monday through Thursday - Midday till Afternoon (about 12pm ~ 5pm)

It's just that I feel EXTREMELY bored, with nothing to do at home, or around the neighborhood during the summer. It's usually in the 90s & 100s degree throughout the day. I thought having this job will keep me busy, and make the summer go by more faster. I find it such disappointing if I call to cancel my interview...I don't know what to do. My mom yelled at me, and it just makes the situation much more frustrating. She's going to NY with me. I need some advice badly.

:) If I go on the vacation, I can spend my summer volunteering. I believe that is a good idea too. I have spend part of my previous summer doing the exact same thing. I got my freshmen year paid off (room board, tuition, etc.), and possibly still have scholarship money lefted over. Now that I thought of volunteering, it doesn't seem so bad!
  • Nyxa - Storm LegionNyxa - Storm Legion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    well if that's the case, both would look good on a future resume, so if you can go back to NY and do some volunteer work I'd say go for it

also kinda curious, what part of NY?
    [SIGPIC]http://img163.imageshack.us/i/deur0g.png/[/SIGPIC]
    Special thanks to chaosheart27 for the awesome sig
    I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. Edgar Allan Poe
  • Azurestars - Storm LegionAzurestars - Storm Legion Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    well if that's the case, both would look good on a future resume, so if you can go back to NY and do some volunteer work I'd say go for it

also kinda curious, what part of NY?

Manhatten. Lower East Side, near Chinatown,and the Williamburg Bridge. :)
    edited June 2012
    Manhatten. Lower East Side, near Chinatown,and the Williamburg Bridge. :)

where would the volunteer job be or what would you be ding?

also we are kinda neighbors :D
  • Faust - EyrdaFaust - Eyrda Posts: 922 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    where would the volunteer job be or what would you be ding?

also we are kinda neighbors :D

uhoh. is nyxa creepin'?:D
    Trash will always be trash, no matter how well it dresses.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zsananabzsananab Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Should you choose to go on the vacation at the very least you should go to the interview.
    Then tell them upfront that you wouldn't be able to work said days were you to be hired having previous arrangements(vacation and orientation). It can't hurt to put in the time to actually be interviewed with hopes that they'll be accommodating to your schedule. Sorry for super run on sentences.
    edited June 2012
    uhoh. is nyxa creepin'?:D

not creeping at all, just surprised to see someone else tht lives in the city
  • Ashaw - EyrdaAshaw - Eyrda Posts: 1,127 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Host at a restraunt like me :P seriously. FUN!!!!!!!

I am a shy person. When i am working though, I enjoy talking to people and although you get rude people, I think its a great job even if its my first job. It beats a bus boy :P and it pays just a little under a server.

Host at a restraunt. Inless you over the age of 21.
    Class Choosing Guide -
    fw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=188881

Race Choosing Guide -
    fw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=193701

They know I'm right -
    fw-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=3587381&postcount=43

[SIGPIC]http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/277/1/0/ashaw_siggy_1_by_zerojigoku-d4bsgdu.png[/SIGPIC]
    I dont play Ashaw anymore -_- its a boring class
  • Faust - EyrdaFaust - Eyrda Posts: 922 Arc User
    edited June 2012

P.S

If I go on the vacation, I can spend my summer volunteering. I believe that is a good idea too. I have spend part of my previous summer doing the exact same thing. I got my freshmen year paid off (room board, tuition, etc.), and possibly still have scholarship money lefted over. Now that I thought of volunteering, it doesn't seem so bad!

i honestly expected to work all summer. before i got 'let go' for less than honest reasons.
    Trash will always be trash, no matter how well it dresses.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]