Divine Elf Priest build help?

menarin
menarin Posts: 1 Arc User
edited October 2011 in Priest Discussion
So far I've been reading a few threads on the priest forums and I cant help but say "what is going on! I'm so confused!" :confused:

I would really like to play a Divine Elven Priest centered around healing in both PvE and PvP settings. I want to know some essentials not only for talent placing and why I should put them there, but also some good combinations of skills to use to help my teammates survive and when I should use them. I know I'm asking for a miracle, but you're better than me and any help at this point is an improvement over not placing talents at all.

So for convenience sake assume I'm an ex level 100 wizard for PWI with no idea how to play a priest and that I'm super stupid to the point that I don't understand abbreviations for skill names or instances. In short an utter noob. :p

Please help me be not fail, thank you! :eek:

[random side note: Solo healed squad in Emperors Canyon with no talents placed, and full squad of level 26's with no protector or vamp and only quest gear. I don't know if that is worthy of being proud of, last boss almost wiped squad lol.]
Post edited by menarin on
If ever there was someone who's impatience and foul temper got him in trouble, it'd be me.

Comments

• Jixxi - Eyrda
    Jixxi - Eyrda Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Since you are an Elf, your main healing skill should be Light of Healing, the heal over time. Spec into the cooldown reduction for it on the divine tree as soon as possible.

Don't go AFK in instances and pay attention to everyone's health. Also watch who the mobs/players are attacking so you can anticipate who you're going to need to heal.

Pretty simple really. What separates the good priests from the great priests is just not being lazy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Menarin - Storm Legion
    Menarin - Storm Legion Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Since you are an Elf, your main healing skill should be Light of Healing, the heal over time. Spec into the cooldown reduction for it on the divine tree as soon as possible.

Don't go AFK in instances and pay attention to everyone's health. Also watch who the mobs/players are attacking so you can anticipate who you're going to need to heal.

Pretty simple really. What separates the good priests from the great priests is just not being lazy.

So basically talent my skills around light of healing then? Does this mean I can skip wasting talents points on skills related to Divine Light or would you recommend getting them? (tbh with Heal, light of sanctuary, and light of healing; I'm not sure if I need another heal over time skill.

I've also managed to solo heal 4 instances already, but I always find that with only 2 heals atm (Heal/Light of Sanctuary) I cant effectively prevent some deaths (especially in Canyon fighting the golem thing) when I'm suffering damage to myself (betray you companions thing is hax >_>).

I guess what I'm asking is "Are there pots for temporary stun immunity?"
  • Jixxi - Eyrda
    Jixxi - Eyrda Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    So basically talent my skills around light of healing then? Does this mean I can skip wasting talents points on skills related to Divine Light or would you recommend getting them? (tbh with Heal, light of sanctuary, and light of healing; I'm not sure if I need another heal over time skill.

I've also managed to solo heal 4 instances already, but I always find that with only 2 heals atm (Heal/Light of Sanctuary) I cant effectively prevent some deaths (especially in Canyon fighting the golem thing) when I'm suffering damage to myself (betray you companions thing is hax >_>).

I guess what I'm asking is "Are there pots for temporary stun immunity?"

Pretty much.

Divine Light isn't worth talenting until after 55 if you want to use it to add a little extra padding to your bubble with the hp buff. (damage absorbed is based on max hp)

Even then it's only good for PvP since it is a little heavy on mana cost relative to other skills. Spamming Divine Light during PvE would end up costing you a lot in pots.

You should also avoid putting points in Source of Magic. The total +mana isn't worth the points, and if you have pots you shouldn't have mana trouble.

The stuns in instances are annoying, but try to anticipate when it is coming and keep all members (and yourself) healed as much as possible up to that point. You'll probably have to use your LoS after a stun, but unless you have an underleveled group you should be able to get through it. Remember it's not always your fault if the party can't get through a boss. If the tank and/or dps is lacking, that can also be to blame.

However, you should be able to solo heal all instances until the Arena of Souls instance.

There's not really any secret to healing better in instances. Just use Light of Healing + Heal and save Light of Sanctuary for emergencies since it has such a long CD.

If you're really struggling in an instance, just go get another level or two and come back to it. Also try to form your own groups outside of the "T" queue if possible so you get a well balanced group. This is where having an active guild helps.

If you meet a tank in an instance that you think is doing well and is a skilled player, compliment him/her and toss a friend invite. That way next time you want to do an instance you can just ask if they'd like to join you so you know that's one less player you have to worry about.

Having a lot of friends and networking is by far the best way to have successful groups.

Hope all of this helps :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Orissa - Illyfue
    Orissa - Illyfue Posts: 496 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Divine Light is totally useless. 4 sec casting time, it's too long, in 4 seconds elf can cast Light of Healing 3 times (save 3 people). HP boost? Totally useless, before you will fill the HP bar, the bonus will end. This skills isn't spammable, you can use it only every 6 seconds, LoH every 1 second
  • Menarin - Storm Legion
    edited October 2011
    So I was wondering, what is better to talent into either:

4 points into Tranquility
    or
    1 point into Tenacious Heart, 2 into Armor of Light and 1 into 1 Tranquility?

EDIT: Alternatively I could stat 3 points into Fortunes wheel. Skip Blooming Life, put 3/4 points into Tranquility and 1 point into Tenacious Heart, 2 into Armor of Light

Current vague idea of Divine Elven Priest: http://www.aesica.net/fw/?race=1&profession=0&level=80&talent=5503040234013031232323303321

Hopefully that works or I'm going to have to find another talent builder to use. :confused:

Btw I opted out of vigorous blessings because I don't really see the point of Blessings of life restoring hp when I have Heal over Time and instant heal skills.

@[email protected] priest is so complicated. Will the missed 5%hp be that noticeable in the long run?
  • Aely - Illyfue
    Aely - Illyfue Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    wait a sec I'm wrong or light of benevolence talent have no points above? :o
  • Orissa - Illyfue
    edited October 2011
    Try to max Tranquility, it's the basic talent for both PvE and PvP. Aggro reduction is for PvE, interrupt chance reduction works fine everywhere. Combined healing isn't that good, better put those points in Light of Benevolence (2) and Tranquility (1). Awareness is also useless, there's no time to use Light of Resurrection, bards can use their mass res even while in combat. Put those points in Tranquility, now it will be maxed
  • Menarin - Storm Legion
    edited October 2011
    wait a sec I'm wrong or light of benevolence talent have no points above? :o

Well since I had no idea what Sympathy is... Is it worth putting points into?
    Try to max Tranquility, it's the basic talent for both PvE and PvP. Aggro reduction is for PvE, interrupt chance reduction works fine everywhere. Combined healing isn't that good, better put those points in Light of Benevolence (2) and Tranquility (1). Awareness is also useless, there's no time to use Light of Resurrection, bards can use their mass res even while in combat. Put those points in Tranquility, now it will be maxed

And I like this build now a lot better thank you. The only problem is that I'm going to be squading with a tri-element bard so I don't know if his mass resurrection will be all that great.

Fixed Build?:
    http://www.aesica.net/fw/?race=1&profession=0&level=80&talent=5503040234040031032323323321

Also EDIT:
    Since nothing seems to be available about Sympathy yet, I thought I might as well post it here.

Sympathy reduces your Attack by 30% and increases the amount of health restored by your heals by 23% of your attack. It's a permanent state, so click to activate/deactivate. Cooldown on it is 10 secs and it costs nearly no mana so the Glacial talent for it is almost completely useless :p

About the use of the skill itself for a Divine priest, I think it's not a very good skill and there's no need to get it until you're capped. Usually as a divine your attack won't be very high, thus making the healing gained rather low. Also you already get so many buffs to your healing, especially with gift of the goddess, that another one is quite overkill. If you/ally dies because your healing couldn't keep up, this small increase wouldn't help either and if they died due to you being CCed this skill has no use either.

This skill seems to be more for Glacial/Rebel with high attack to quickly burst heal and then deactivate it again.

Found out what sympathy does and I completely disagree with the logic this skill was designed for attacking priests due solely to the fact that particular talent is so far down the tree. (43 points in?)
  • Orissa - Illyfue
    edited October 2011
    It's better to put more points in healing talents and don't let your buddies die, survivability means they can't die so easily. No matter what's the bard's specialization, (s)he can use res even while in combat, you can quickly heal freshly resed char, that's your job

Sympathy is like warrior's stance, mainly for divine priests, but glacials/rebels can turn it on when they really need to be healers, not DDs. It's really great skill. Usually there are a lot of moments when you have to only heal, and there's almost no time for even normal attacks. Your damage is useless, so why not to convert it into more healing power? Light of Benevolence will increase bonus healing, but won't additionally decrease your damage
  • SkyeSong - Lionheart
    SkyeSong - Lionheart Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    It's better to put more points in healing talents and don't let your buddies die, survivability means they can't die so easily. No matter what's the bard's specialization, (s)he can use res even while in combat, you can quickly heal freshly resed char, that's your job

Sympathy is like warrior's stance, mainly for divine priests, but glacials/rebels can turn it on when they really need to be healers, not DDs. It's really great skill. Usually there are a lot of moments when you have to only heal, and there's almost no time for even normal attacks. Your damage is useless, so why not to convert it into more healing power? Light of Benevolence will increase bonus healing, but won't additionally decrease your damage

Just need to correct the bard thing. Only Bards that have specced 36+ talent points in light can use rez. That's a minimum level of 55+ for a pure light bard, and even higher for Wind/Light hybrids, Water/Light hybrids or triple hybrids =)

The rez also isn't 'mass rez'. It's single-target rez, with 15 second cooldown in pve (may be shorter if the bard has E chords in their measure). We can rez in combat though.
  • Menarin - Storm Legion
    edited October 2011

Well its refreshing that they can still res. If they couldn't Id be super worried since not being able to cast heals for 10seconds to res someone is stupidly un-useful.
    Just need to correct the bard thing. Only Bards that have specced 36+ talent points in light can use rez. That's a minimum level of 55+ for a pure light bard, and even higher for Wind/Light hybrids, Water/Light hybrids or triple hybrids =)

The rez also isn't 'mass rez'. It's single-target rez, with 15 second cooldown in pve (may be shorter if the bard has E chords in their measure). We can rez in combat though.

Wait so bards cant res unless they are light bards? @[email protected] omg Im so confused.
  • Orissa - Illyfue
    edited October 2011
    I didn't play high level bard, I also went wind tree. However resurrection is much easier for bards. You have to be out of combat, I personally have used res only 1-2 times, because it's really hard to get out of combat. Even if you can res someone, the talent isn't worth those points, you can quickly heal the target, freshly resed char doesn't make threat in first 2 seconds, enough to heal for 50-60% of total HP
  • Menarin - Storm Legion
    edited October 2011
    I didn't play high level bard, I also went wind tree. However resurrection is much easier for bards. You have to be out of combat, I personally have used res only 1-2 times, because it's really hard to get out of combat. Even if you can res someone, the talent isn't worth those points, you can quickly heal the target, freshly resed char doesn't make threat in first 2 seconds, enough to heal for 50-60% of total HP

Yeah I had to use it 4 times yesterday twice in combat. We attempted Lighthouse without a Protector and average level of squad was 32. Needless to say res isn't that difficult to pull off (at my current level) in squad, if you have a bard actively healing in party and luckily the warrior was smart enough to use health pots.

But I get what you're saying the Res skill seems like a waste, especially since I just gained Light of Healing.
  • Alyssian - Illyfue
    Alyssian - Illyfue Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Yeah I had to use it 4 times yesterday twice in combat. We attempted Lighthouse without a Protector and average level of squad was 32. Needless to say res isn't that difficult to pull off (at my current level) in squad, if you have a bard actively healing in party and luckily the warrior was smart enough to use health pots.

But I get what you're saying the Res skill seems like a waste, especially since I just gained Light of Healing.

don't put any points in rez, but keep it in a shortcut bar, though maybe not keylogged to the keyboard (unbound keys)

It says an awful lot of time and running.