test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Pets

FuneralThi - Storm LegionFuneralThi - Storm Legion Posts: 17 Arc User
edited August 2011 in Beginner's Guide
I think I have a basic grasp on pets, but I'm quite confused.
Am I..essentially forced to pay real money to upgrade my pet?

Currently I'm level 32, and haven't dabbled in the level 35 skill that allows taming.
I did a "Canyon run" once and picked up all three different pets from that place, is there a further point to that place?
I'm using the Egyptian dog-head pet from that instance and am curious if I'm able to upgrade it's skills without paying real money, and also...
I see Chained Demons often, and they do admittedly look cool so I plan to tame one.
Any advice on that? Are they worthwhile?
Post edited by FuneralThi - Storm Legion on
The fragments of my faith became the blade in my hand.

Comments

• Sesshou - EyrdaSesshou - Eyrda Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I think I have a basic grasp on pets, but I'm quite confused.
    Am I..essentially forced to pay real money to upgrade my pet?

Currently I'm level 32, and haven't dabbled in the level 35 skill that allows taming.
    I did a "Canyon run" once and picked up all three different pets from that place, is there a further point to that place?
    I'm using the Egyptian dog-head pet from that instance and am curious if I'm able to upgrade it's skills without paying real money, and also...
    I see Chained Demons often, and they do admittedly look cool so I plan to tame one.
    Any advice on that? Are they worthwhile?

Well, first of all to get a super pet u either have to CS or be a hardworker and farm it, which costs alot of time.

Tbh the chained demons arent that great, just get whatever pet and wait for a high lvld blue one later on.
  • IMBALANZE - LionheartIMBALANZE - Lionheart Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    chained demons aren't good but the skill is useful

you might want to consider transfering the soul and the stats on that chained demon into your new and better pet (I don't think there's a pet that starts out with a good skill at level 50...people usually makes their pet forget them and replace them with something better)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by Luciferia
    I read CN
    drama aren't far from this siggy
  • FuneralThi - Storm LegionFuneralThi - Storm Legion Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    You have to assume I know NOTHING about pets, so some of the terminology tossed around is alien to me. I simply thought chained demons look cool, and I'd like to know if when I hit level 35 I can fairly easily acquire one.
  • Jandir - Storm LegionJandir - Storm Legion Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    You'll have to take the Tamer skill at 35 if you want to catch Chained Demons. - this may require using your Wisdom Fruit from level 30 gift box to freeze a job if you took Fishing, Mining or Artisan already

Scarabs and the Khonem pets can be caught with the basic soul catching skill.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Signature created by Luciferia!
    edited August 2011
    I'll have an available job point for 35, do you recommend, as a first character, I get that skill or would mining or...any of the other tradeskills benefit me more?
    I'm an assassin, and by "benefit" I mean financially and buff-wise.
    I can sell the pets I catch, right?
  • Morgueanna - LionheartMorgueanna - Lionheart Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Unless you want to spend a lot of time farming pets, and it sounds like you could care less, just do mining. Put your copper ore up on the auction house and make money to buy a chained demon stone off another player.

Here's a breakdown for you on pets:

No, you don't *have* to spend real money. But if you don't want to do that, you do have to spend some time either in Creekbank Valley or in a profession (such as mining) to get money to buy the items you need off the auction house.

Any player has a chance of getting a high level pet and skills by running Creekbank, you don't have to be a tamer. Just ensure you have the soul catching ability (from the quest given to you by Rachel).

Go into Creekbank Valley and use the traps to make the monsters stop moving. Kill them and they have a small percentage chance of dropping a soul. Use the soul catcher ability to capture it. Then right click the stone that appears in your bag to incubated it. The longer the incubation, the higher the stats will be. Keep any stone that has orange plus marks to the stats (when you inspect the stone, you'll see some have orange extra descriptions to the right).

Take the stone with the highest ranking (the ranking is the 3-4 digit number under the name and level of the pet) to Hicks, and combine it with all those stones you kept that have bonuses to their stats. This will help level your pet even further.

While you are in Creekbank Valley, if your group manages to capture 10 souls of the same type of pet, a master pet (boss) will appear. Kill him and the group has a chance to win a new pet skill. Everyone can roll. If you win, you can take this to Hicks and add it to your pet, but be careful- adding a skill may actually replace an existing skill, so it is a gamble.

You'll also notice that Hicks sells high level skills for a LOT of money. Again, that's where you need to decide how much the whole pet thing is worth it to you. Honestly, you don't sound like you care that much, so...good luck :)
    edited August 2011
    Thanks for the thoughtful reply, though you made sure to reiterate that you feel like I don't give a .... . I suppose my questions are answered, and my previous boner for pet taming has somewhat diminished :S
  • Morgueanna - LionheartMorgueanna - Lionheart Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Nothing personal, I just read your posts and made some assumptions based on the fact that you didn't take the time to remember the name of the instance and were ready to dismiss it after one run. Also, if you had done any searching on the forum you would have found all this information in bucketloads and you don't use any of the terminology that is given to you in game in tooltips. So...you don't care. *shrugs* There's nothing wrong with that, I'm just pointing out to you that if you don't care at this stage of the game it would be a mistake to waste a job point on taming. Find something that DOES interest you instead :)
    edited August 2011
    Nothing personal, I just read your posts and made some assumptions based on the fact that you didn't take the time to remember the name of the instance and were ready to dismiss it after one run. Also, if you had done any searching on the forum you would have found all this information in bucketloads and you don't use any of the terminology that is given to you in game in tooltips. So...you don't care. *shrugs* There's nothing wrong with that, I'm just pointing out to you that if you don't care at this stage of the game it would be a mistake to waste a job point on taming. Find something that DOES interest you instead :)

It's a good thing your opinion means nothing to me and you wasted your time writing that long-winded paragraph.
  • IMBALANZE - LionheartIMBALANZE - Lionheart Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    tamer doesn't benefit much...unless you intend to spend the rest of your days wait for blue pets to spawn and go capture them for good money

if not I recommend you buy the pet off AH instead (or trade them for points during the charge promo) and spend the talent point on something else
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by Luciferia
    I read CN
    drama aren't far from this siggy