test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Assassin; should I be tanking?

FuneralThi - Storm LegionFuneralThi - Storm Legion Posts: 17 Arc User
edited August 2011 in Assassin Discussion
I've skimmed the forums and am stuck at a quandary.
Some argue that Sin's are primarily for PVP which is unfortunate for me, as I've always enjoyed the rogue archetype and I prefer to PVE. I realize I'll be doing a lot of single target dps, and I OFTEN find myself tanking...and I loathe it.
Is this something I'll be forced to get used to?
Warriors can tank, yes? I've yet to see it happen.
I realize Protector's, by name, are tanks but I'm not fortunate to always get one in my groups.
I'm Venom spec btw.
Post edited by FuneralThi - Storm Legion on
The fragments of my faith became the blade in my hand.

Comments

• Sesshou - EyrdaSesshou - Eyrda Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I've skimmed the forums and am stuck at a quandary.
    Some argue that Sin's are primarily for PVP which is unfortunate for me, as I've always enjoyed the rogue archetype and I prefer to PVE. I realize I'll be doing a lot of single target dps, and I OFTEN find myself tanking...and I loathe it.
    Is this something I'll be forced to get used to?
    Warriors can tank, yes? I've yet to see it happen.
    I realize Protector's, by name, are tanks but I'm not fortunate to always get one in my groups.
    I'm Venom spec btw.

you're a damage dealer, DPS class. You arent supposed to tank just dash ALOT of dmg lol.

Prot = Tank

Warrior = Off-Tank

Sin = DPS
  • Jandir - Storm LegionJandir - Storm Legion Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Sins should generally not be tanking unless there is no one else to do it and if you are tanking, kindred sin is the best way to go about it (my opinion) since we have a racial skill to recover 25% HP for a 1s cast time.

Protectors can tank.
    Warriors can tank.
    Vamps can tank.
    Sins can tank (but shouldn't)

Worst cases: Priest and Bard can tank (usually saw this if one of them is 20+ levels above other players in a guild run for their newbies)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Signature created by Luciferia!
  • Hers - EyrdaHers - Eyrda Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Unfortunately sins pull agro from tanks pretty easily if the tank doesnt pay attention. As long as you remember to stop attacking for the tank to re-gain agro its not too much of a problem as long as you can survive a few hits.

Venom isnt as bad as edge for stealing agro in my experience. Im not sure what level you are but if a tank does their job properly you should be fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nyos - NyosNyos - Nyos Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Sins should generally not be tanking unless there is no one else to do it and if you are tanking, kindred sin is the best way to go about it (my opinion) since we have a racial skill to recover 25% HP for a 1s cast time.

Protectors can tank.
    Warriors can tank.
    Vamps can tank.
    Sins can tank (but shouldn't)

Worst cases: Priest and Bard can tank (usually saw this if one of them is 20+ levels above other players in a guild run for their newbies)

At first it is 15% hp drain and 3sec silence on player

Sin shouldnt tank, if sin need to tank, you can say that the pt is fail or you are wasting pot.
    After AOS lvl 40 instance, all prot know how to tank properly so dont count the thing happened at lvl 40-(Also ppl learn to use pot more and priest dont get annoyed easily anymore)

All you need to do is not to go far to get aggro, sin will get boss aggro time to time, but try not to get ^^. Priest hate to heal sin :P, The only dmg u should take is boss aoe that we cant dodg since we melee.
    Other class should or would be taking aggro or whatever I dont know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sugarboy - EyrdaSugarboy - Eyrda Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    you're a damage dealer, DPS class. You arent supposed to tank just dash ALOT of dmg lol.

Prot = Tank

Warrior = Off-Tank

Sin = DPS

guess i've been doing it wrong :p

most sins who spec for high atk will pull(and keep) aggro from the tank, if you can handle the boss/mob i suggest you continue attacking and keep that dps on mob. Only in a perfect world you would see sin constantly doin high damage and not pull boss, many times you would find yourself holding back punches way too much in order for tank to pull back which could really slow down the killing of a tough boss and as someone mentioned before cause the party to waste more pots (healin, mana etc) and because of this, a tank who isnt doin his job properly for any reason would cripple a party's effectiveness if the party has a lot of high dps low survivability classes who constantly have to monitor their attacks to not pull aggro.

my advice is that if you can handle the boss, then tank. this may not apply in many same level dungeons but will definitely apply for places like God's Trial or Glistening Lowland.
  • FuneralThi - Storm LegionFuneralThi - Storm Legion Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I appreciate the relatively quick responses to my thread, though at the time I was merely whining/venting a bit :P

I play on US East - Storm, so if any of you are feeling generous with your time I'd appreciate a mentor of sorts...someone who knows what they're doing and can take me under their proverbial wing and provide me with some helpful tips on playing this game.
    I'm an MMO veteran, but I'm new to F2P and this game specifically. I'm dedicated and have a decent amount of free time, so if any of your guilds are recruiting I'd appreciate it :D
    The fragments of my faith became the blade in my hand.
  • Rockbridge - Storm LegionRockbridge - Storm Legion Posts: 502 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Well I just had the experience of leveling my venom sin to 40 and I'm on Storm as well.

So to answer your question:
    Should you be tanking? No
    Are you going to end up tanking? Probably

Pre-Lv 40 you will get into many instance parties with a fail Warrior that has no clue how to keep aggro (Prots don't usually have that issue). Thus you may end up tanking every now and then.

I have often had to tank the bosses in LH just because a Warrior couldn't keep up. I successfully tanked Drake with a Lv 40 priest healing both me and another sin who was handling the adds.
    <Honey Badger>
    Cause I don't care.
  • nightwolf200nightwolf200 Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Well I just had the experience of leveling my venom sin to 40 and I'm on Storm as well.

So to answer your question:
    Should you be tanking? No
    Are you going to end up tanking? Probably

Pre-Lv 40 you will get into many instance parties with a fail Warrior that has no clue how to keep aggro (Prots don't usually have that issue). Thus you may end up tanking every now and then.

I have often had to tank the bosses in LH just because a Warrior couldn't keep up. I successfully tanked Drake with a Lv 40 priest healing both me and another sin who was handling the adds.
    yeah if you have a **** party with a warrior that can't somehow tank then you can tank but its not advised
    [SIGPIC]sora[/SIGPIC]
    "That's not true! The heart may be weak, and sometimes it may even give in. But I've learned that deep down, there's a light that never goes out!"

IGN: slayernight
    Race/Class: Kindred Assassin

One of the last players that was in the defunct guild Wolfpack.
  • SharpFang - EyrdaSharpFang - Eyrda Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Same as above i have tanked many times with a preist with me in AoS with the strom T-rex atacking and won while the fail war after bieng told to GET BEHIND THE F-ING DRAGON
    just rushes in attackes where i am and dies while screaming "PRIEST HEAL ME" while the preist goes "you dont have aggro" and ignores him

probably cause every1 says that newbies should be wars cause thats the easiest class
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nightwolf200nightwolf200 Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Same as above i have tanked many times with a preist with me in AoS with the strom T-rex atacking and won while the fail war after bieng told to GET BEHIND THE F-ING DRAGON
    just rushes in attackes where i am and dies while screaming "PRIEST HEAL ME" while the preist goes "you dont have aggro" and ignores him

probably cause every1 says that newbies should be wars cause thats the easiest class

lol he was probably a rookie to AoS i bet
    [SIGPIC]sora[/SIGPIC]
    "That's not true! The heart may be weak, and sometimes it may even give in. But I've learned that deep down, there's a light that never goes out!"

IGN: slayernight
    Race/Class: Kindred Assassin

One of the last players that was in the defunct guild Wolfpack.
  • Laokon - ShyliaLaokon - Shylia Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Sins are not supposed to tnak, but i'm often tanking if the prot is slacking or if it's a warrior tanking :/
    dunno why but warriors don't seems to be able to keep aggro from venom sins. i don't cs, but have a few lvl 2 ragefires and nice blue equip.
    with prots i can go out all i want, if the guy plays i don't get aggro of him, but warriros seems to lack aggro :/
  • Hers - EyrdaHers - Eyrda Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I notice the same with Venom, i think its a case of that DoT's dont generate as much threat as pure damage from the mass edge crits.

As far as tanking, pretty much any class can tank if they are built to do it. One of the best pieces of tanking i've seen so far was done by a priest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Laokon - ShyliaLaokon - Shylia Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    i don't think dots generate less aggro than nor,al hits of equivalent damage, but as venom we also have more atk power and the possibility to chain 2 finishers with 4 ago orbs, which makes a nice damage boost and if you still kept your orbs after that, LK is powered by 160atk :p
  • liang021291liang021291 Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    is okay for sin to tank actually as long as ur hp is enough, but if u are saying about world boss sin better dun be the tank. and u need to control dps when u killing wb else the world boss will keep reset.As me , i usually tank all the boss in instance as i usually dun go wif prot .