any reason to level up taunt?

ihearthawthats
ihearthawthats Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2011 in Protector Discussion
is there really any reason to level up taunt?

unless there is a hidden mechanic in place (or later levels provide extra benefits), all the lower levels of taunt only seem to allow you to taunt higher level monsters. granted i have only reached lvl40, there has yet to be any reason for me to taunt lvl50+ monsters. so levelling this skill jus seems like a waste of mana and money.

am i missing something here?
Post edited by ihearthawthats on

Comments

• Kokytos - Eyrda
    Kokytos - Eyrda Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Yeah no reason to lvl it its just as useless as a priest heal
  • Thordain - Lionheart
    Thordain - Lionheart Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Yeah no reason to lvl it its just as useless as a priest heal

Doesn't the Priest's heal increase the amount healed? o_O

Oh and yes, Taunt is a pretty bad skill to level up. Costs more mana per cast, costs soul gold to buy.. But hey, I did it anyway.
    - This space for rent. -
  • OffDutyTan - Storm Legion
    OffDutyTan - Storm Legion Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    49 prot atm and taunt maxed out at my lvl still costs less less then hard smash. think its like 60-70mana. so i dont see the problem lvling it up, considering its the second lowest mana cost skill so far ( under rocky prot), but if your playing your prot right, taunt and mass taunt(if marble) is your oh **** button. meaning you can hold aggro without it easily its just that extra when some nab warrior tele's to boss and gets that first hit in, so that his squishie self doesnt get pwned. i dont see how 10-30mana every what 10-15mins (if you hold max fury and watch aggro) is going to kill you. just my 2cents.
    No offense to you warriors out there.... well maybe alittle xD
  • ihearthawthats
    ihearthawthats Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    thanks for the replies. actually, it's kind of nice to spam it for the attack debuff. also, if you put points into chaos taunt, then its also an evasion debuff.

i'm actually debating whether or not to put points into chaos taunt for the evasion debuff. i guess it might be useful when fighting sins and that bout it?
  • Rockbridge - Storm Legion
    Rockbridge - Storm Legion Posts: 502 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    thanks for the replies. actually, it's kind of nice to spam it for the attack debuff. also, if you put points into chaos taunt, then its also an evasion debuff.

i'm actually debating whether or not to put points into chaos taunt for the evasion debuff. i guess it might be useful when fighting sins and that bout it?

If you plan on using your Marble Prot for PvP a lot then you can actually make the argument that Chaos Taunt and the reduced cd talents might actually be worth it. As far as PvE goes, 1 point in Mass Taunt is sufficient and the rest of the talent points are better spent elsewhere.

As far as leveling the regular taunt goes, its like one of the cheapest skills you have so why not level it up.
    <Honey Badger>
    Cause I don't care.
  • Alyssian - Illyfue
    Alyssian - Illyfue Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Level up your taunt. If i see another prot in a lvl 50+ instance that can't keep aggro again, i will murder someone.

Taunt in instances are essential. Mages can out aggro you if you're not careful/stupid.
  • Taran_McDohl - Eyrda
    Taran_McDohl - Eyrda Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Taunt is a must. I keep agro on my with Fury and damage but when a mage pulls it from me i have to be able to pull it back right away. It also helps for adds. You have one monster on you hardcore and an add jumps in..using taunt will keep the add on you while damage keeps the other one you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]All life begins with Nu...and ends with Nu.
  • DuncanDark - Storm Legion
    DuncanDark - Storm Legion Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    If you plan on using your Marble Prot for PvP a lot then you can actually make the argument that Chaos Taunt and the reduced cd talents might actually be worth it. As far as PvE goes, 1 point in Mass Taunt is sufficient and the rest of the talent points are better spent elsewhere.

As far as leveling the regular taunt goes, its like one of the cheapest skills you have so why not level it up.

Totally agreed. I mean, Mass Taunt cost Talent Points and those are limited, so 1 point is enough, we can discuss some other time about lvling the side-effects (lol) to cause acc. reduction, but Taunt cost only Soul Coins so is not big deal lvl it.:D
  • Thibault - Lionheart
    Thibault - Lionheart Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Until you get to the high lvls as the lvl 8 Taunt costs over a diamond soul coin to get the lvl 8 or whatever from Lawrence..... so not worth it. Get the talents for Taunt but for actually lvling the skill itself i realyl dont understand what the point is my taunt is still only lvl 6 while im at lvl 70 and it still works just fine even though its 2 lvls behind.
  • Rockbridge - Storm Legion
    Rockbridge - Storm Legion Posts: 502 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Until you get to the high lvls as the lvl 8 Taunt costs over a diamond soul coin to get the lvl 8 or whatever from Lawrence..... so not worth it. Get the talents for Taunt but for actually lvling the skill itself i realyl dont understand what the point is my taunt is still only lvl 6 while im at lvl 70 and it still works just fine even though its 2 lvls behind.

And 1D soul coin is a lot to you? :o
    <Honey Badger>
    Cause I don't care.
  • Thibault - Lionheart
    Thibault - Lionheart Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    1d soul coin is a ton, refineing gear costs about (average) of 6d per piece to get to refine 9. Also if you have any purple items (i have 1) they cost double to refine, the refine bill just from 7->8 is 1.46d. So ya 1d for a useless skill is quite significant.
  • Thordain - Lionheart
    Thordain - Lionheart Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Also realize the only way Taunt improves is by increasing the maximum level above your own that it's effective on. If you're making use of this increase you'll be fighting far above your effective combat range very quickly.

Using it or putting talents into it however are both very good ideas.
    - This space for rent. -