a qustion about buffing

random191
random191 Posts: 20 Arc User
edited July 2011 in Priest Discussion
ok, so here's what happened.

i've entered GT and noticed a fellow guild member in it who i've had problems with in the past.
i buffed everyone with blessing of life and buffed only myself with blessing of fortune (like i always do except if asked otherwise).
here's why: i'm hybrid (divine/glacial) and i need my mana for healing AND attack spells.

just before we started, my guild member said to me "(my ingame name) i need buff". he was referring to the blessing of fortune.
i replied with "how about asking nicely?" and he with "lol (my ingame name).

so i buffed the other 4 members with blessing of fortune and left him alone. XD

after we started killing apostates, he again said "(my ingame name) buff me" and since i ignored him, he stopped attacking the creatures and instead cried over to the guild chat and bashed me there.
since he wouldn't do a thing anymore, we kicked him.

in the guild chat, i explained the situation and while some were on my side, some (even priests) said that i shouldn't buffed him.

now my question... should i've really buffed him? i would've right away if he would've said "can you buff me?" but as said, that wasn't the case and i have had issues with his demanding and impolite manners before.

might be a bit subjective, asking priests that, but wth.
Post edited by random191 on

Comments

• FreakyPriest - Nyos
    FreakyPriest - Nyos Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Yes, you should have buffed him and the rest of the members right at the start. You have a buff that can be cast on everyone and that helps everyone so cast it. Don't cry about using a bit more mana, just use a drink or pot after buffing. Use your skills ffs and do your job.
  • Zarafil - Eyrda
    Zarafil - Eyrda Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Definatly not wrong by not buffing I exact my justice on anyone rude or dumb enough your rude you don't need buff your a dumb Mage running ahead of the group well I'm busy healing the tank well guess you just died. Firm believer in smitting the stupid they will learn eventually . If not just replace them.
  • Alyssian - Illyfue
    Alyssian - Illyfue Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    One-GT does not require buffs.

Two-Your mana and HP gets back up to full after some million EXP (so like 1/20th of total EXp) which is easily achievable in GT due to EXP **** it. So mana is not likely to be a problem.

Three- You should have just buffed him and avoided the drama. He's impolite, so what? You're not superiorto him, even if you are a priest. You should have buffed him, and maybe he will, oh, i don't know, like you more?

You're a priest, we should be team players, we should be that collected guy that doesn't rage OR cause trouble. If the most simplest solution was to buff him, buff them.

I buff all my party members in GT and others with blessing, tenacity and fortune. It's hardly one mana pot.
  • guildleader
    guildleader Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    random191 wrote: »
    i buffed everyone with blessing of life and buffed only myself with blessing of fortune (like i always do except if asked otherwise).
    here's why: i'm hybrid (divine/glacial) and i need my mana for healing AND attack spells.

That's the lamest reason I've heard for not buffing everyone, seriously...

What's with the spoilt princess attitude we're getting from Priest nowadays? :confused:
  • Aely - Illyfue
    Aely - Illyfue Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    buff them all, light traps are hungry :o
  • Icream - Eyrda
    Icream - Eyrda Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Geez, why are you playing Priest if you are so stingy with buffing your party members? I always buff all of my party members fully. Priests are a support class. SUPPORT your party members by buffing them all completely. There should be no concern about 'wasting mp'. That's what mp pots and mp regen foods are for. If you are that cheap with mp maybe you need to consider playing another class.
  • Jorabba - Storm Legion
    Jorabba - Storm Legion Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    I always buff everyone at the start of every instance and before boss fights if i know theyre gonna take a while. Like it has been stated earlier, it doesnt cost much mana to buff people especially if it is for the good of the team.
  • Orissa - Illyfue
    Orissa - Illyfue Posts: 496 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Buffing is your basic role in party, next to healing. Sometimes I buff all pets too, even if no one is asking for it. Remember, only priests, bards and high-level prots and warriors can buff allies. But only your buffs will last for 30-60 minutes, it's really not a problem to boost stats of your allies

Blessing of Life - HP boost is really nice, especially for fragile chars, like mages and dwarves. Due to percentage increase of HP, tanks can carry more damage

Blessing of Fortune - increase of accuracy and dodge is equal to Eagle-Eye I or II and Mistshroud II or III. Few points of masteries are important for DPS classes, even 1% damage boost can accelerate your party. Each time challenge requires the highest possible dmg output

Blessing of Tenacity - it's a weaker version of prot's Protection (I don't remember the name). Few % of defense allow you to spare some mana on healing. It's better to cast this buff, its cost will return to you later

And important advice for everyone: always use your racial blessing, it has no cost and can increase your stats by little
  • Cassandra - Eyrda
    Cassandra - Eyrda Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    To be honest I dont think he was that impolite, at least he called you by your name, some people say "Priest! buff!!" that's worse in my opinion.

And as a priest, no matter what build, you should buff everyone at the start, I dont see why you dont, those buffs help everyone and you can sit and drink or pot.

Its not something you have to do constantly either cuz they last a while, unless someone gets a light trap.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Abstina - Lionheart
    Abstina - Lionheart Posts: 349 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Hm I dunno. I can see Holding out on buffs if someone is being a major idiot or ****. He didnt sound like he was being to bad tho. But then you said you had prior issues. Its not like the OP is going around not giving out buffs all the time. I dunno guess I'd have to know the full story to pass judgement. :D
  • Cassandra - Eyrda
    Cassandra - Eyrda Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Hm I dunno. I can see Holding out on buffs if someone is being a major idiot or ****. He didnt sound like he was being to bad tho. But then you said you had prior issues. Its not like the OP is going around not giving out buffs all the time. I dunno guess I'd have to know the full story to pass judgement. :D

The OP clearly states they only self buff except for the party buff, obviously.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Melisana - Illyfue
    Melisana - Illyfue Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    It should become second nature to buff everyone right out of the gate; that's what those skills are for. They're beneficial to the party and will make your run smoother. I'm pretty sure the Divine tree boosts Heal's power on buffed targets, you'd be a fool not to take advantage of that.
  • itsphii
    itsphii Posts: 494 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    You don't have to buff him, if you could do sustained dps and buff the rest of the team, you'd be contributing more than him most likely. I don't see why so many people are against you not buffing him, you are not OBLIGED to buff someone because you're a priest. A priest is a class, anyone can choose it, and yes someone being impolite does not DESERVE buffs, so cut the **** about being all " oh you could've saved drama and he wouldve like you" ... get real. people like that don't change especially if every priest buffs them when they ask that way, and it's best to ignore them, or just buff them.
  • Tsukiyo - Storm Legion
    Tsukiyo - Storm Legion Posts: 398 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Stingy

buffs take half my MP on a full party, so i just use an MP food while waiting for the mobs once i finish buffing.. after that, i don't buff anyone again (light trap) unless its a friend xD

Though i guess i just have a different mentally with using pots.. i just find soul gold easy to get..
  • FreakyPriest - Nyos
    edited July 2011
    itsphii wrote: »
    You don't have to buff him, if you could do sustained dps and buff the rest of the team, you'd be contributing more than him most likely. I don't see why so many people are against you not buffing him, you are not OBLIGED to buff someone because you're a priest. A priest is a class, anyone can choose it, and yes someone being impolite does not DESERVE buffs, so cut the **** about being all " oh you could've saved drama and he wouldve like you" ... get real. people like that don't change especially if every priest buffs them when they ask that way, and it's best to ignore them, or just buff them.

So, what you're saying is nobody is obliged to do what his class should do! Hey awesome, so I'm not obliged to healing either? Sweet! Hmm, not obliged to DDing either... Think I'm gonna afk some GTs from now on, apparently I'm not obliged to do anything :D
  • itsphii
    edited July 2011
    So, what you're saying is nobody is obliged to do what his class should do! Hey awesome, so I'm not obliged to healing either? Sweet! Hmm, not obliged to DDing either... Think I'm gonna afk some GTs from now on, apparently I'm not obliged to do anything :D

Yes, actually they aren't obliged. A DD priest doesn't have to be a healer, where does its state he has to? A water bard doesn't have to heal his party mates. Go ahead and afk in GT's just makes you look like a douchebag, I really don't care. If i went up to you and said, buff me stupid noob, then you better buff me because you're "obliged" to. Totally makes sense.
  • FreakyPriest - Nyos
    edited July 2011
    Yes, actually they aren't obliged. A DD priest doesn't have to be a healer, where does its state he has to? A water bard doesn't have to heal his party mates. Go ahead and afk in GT's just makes you look like a douchebag, I really don't care. If i went up to you and said, buff me stupid noob, then you better buff me because you're "obliged" to. Totally makes sense.

So according to you, if I'm a healer priest I should still heal right? Therefore I should also still buff since that's the role of EVERY priest. You're supposed to fulfill your role in a party and one of the roles every priest has is buffing people. So if ignoring my role and AFKing in gt makes me look like a douchebag, how does ignoring my roll and not buffing people not make me look like a douchebag?

I really fail to see where my supposed obligations begin and where they stop. Either I do what my class is capable of, which is healing, buffing and when nobody needs healing DDing in case of divine or buffing, DDing and offhealing in case of rebel/glacial or I am not obliged to fullfill these roles in which case I'm not obliged to do anything and again might as well afk, so where is this line you're drawing?
  • itsphii
    edited July 2011
    So according to you, if I'm a healer priest I should still heal right? Therefore I should also still buff since that's the role of EVERY priest. You're supposed to fulfill your role in a party and one of the roles every priest has is buffing people. So if ignoring my role and AFKing in gt makes me look like a douchebag, how does ignoring my roll and not buffing people not make me look like a douchebag?

I really fail to see where my supposed obligations begin and where they stop. Either I do what my class is capable of, which is healing, buffing and when nobody needs healing DDing in case of divine or buffing, DDing and offhealing in case of rebel/glacial or I am not obliged to fullfill these roles in which case I'm not obliged to do anything and again might as well afk, so where is this line you're drawing?

Sigh not going to read your post, heres my point

If your a healer, and there's a useless person raging at you, then why buff or heal them? Your team most likely couldn't care less about them and you are forfilling your role as a healer, considering that person is just an extra DD. Basically you're saying you'd buff someone who says your a stupid ***, because it's your role. Sorry, i have something called values.

Edit i read some of your little arguement
    And how are you being a douchebag not buffing someone thats harassing you? LOL. you act like that person would be good and actually contribute well with buffs.. ttheres plenty other ppl to support. You know what.. idc. i kick people like that from my parties.. or they get kicked. common sense, i don't play with douchebags, because i dont HAVE to.
  • FreakyPriest - Nyos
    edited July 2011
    Sigh not going to read your post, heres my point

If your a healer, and there's a useless person raging at you, then why buff or heal them? Your team most likely couldn't care less about them and you are forfilling your role as a healer, considering that person is just an extra DD. Basically you're saying you'd buff someone who says your a stupid ***, because it's your role. Sorry, i have something called values.

Edit i read some of your little arguement
    And how are you being a douchebag not buffing someone thats harassing you? LOL. you act like that person would be good and actually contribute well with buffs.. ttheres plenty other ppl to support. You know what.. idc. i kick people like that from my parties.. or they get kicked. common sense, i don't play with douchebags, because i dont HAVE to.

Did even read what the topic starter said? Or did you just go Lolz not reading lolz....

He cleary he stated he doesn't buff ANYONE. Also where did the swearing come in? He asked for a buff (maybe not int he nicest way) but nowhere did he swear/harass/insult/whatever.

Not gonna bother replying to you anymore since you just seem to look at a post and make of it whatever the hell you want.
  • Josei - Storm Legion
    Josei - Storm Legion Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited July 2011

You're right. Of course, a priest have every right not to buff or even heal someone who is rude.

But please re-read the OP again. He clearly said that he normally don't buff all his party members with blessing of fortune at the start because "he is a hybrid (divine/glacial) and he need his mana for healing AND attack spells". This was the main reason he got bashed here: He did not perform one of his role as a Priest for reason that is totally unacceptable.

We really do not know what happened in the past between the OP and his guildmate but how do people usually responds/talk to someone who is not performing their role in the party? I personnelly wouldn't be rude but I can imagine there are people who would be.
    Then again, as previously mentioned several times, "(ingame name) i need buff", wasn't really rude either.

Imagine a scene where a member in your party is not fullfilling his role. (e.g. A Protector auto-attacking and wasn't using his skills or tanking for the party)

You: "(Protector's name) I need you to grab hate"
    Protector: "How about asking nicely?"
    You: "...."
  • random191
    random191 Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Did even read what the topic starter said? Or did you just go Lolz not reading lolz....

He cleary he stated he doesn't buff ANYONE. Also where did the swearing come in? He asked for a buff (maybe not int he nicest way) but nowhere did he swear/harass/insult/whatever.

Not gonna bother replying to you anymore since you just seem to look at a post and make of it whatever the hell you want.

it seems like you're the one who didn't read what i posted.

i DO buff, i just didn't buff everyone blessing of fortune (unless asked). and the guy did no ask me, he simply said that he "needs it". i need a new computer mouse but i don't go around FW and write that every one in a while.

to everyone else... thanks for the feedback. since the most of you think i should've buffed everyone from the start, i've started doing so.
  • FreakyPriest - Nyos
    edited July 2011
    it seems like you're the one who didn't read what i posted.

i DO buff, i just didn't buff everyone blessing of fortune (unless asked). and the guy did no ask me, he simply said that he "needs it". i need a new computer mouse but i don't go around FW and write that every one in a while.

to everyone else... thanks for the feedback. since the most of you think i should've buffed everyone from the start, i've started doing so.

Well you have BoL, BoF and maybe BoT if you're at that level. So considering BoL automatically casts on everyone that's not much of an argument there. At first you didn't cast BoF on anyone, while in my eyes you should have.
  • Alyssian - Illyfue
    Alyssian - Illyfue Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    It doesn't matter if it's One guy or another guy. You still need to buff them if it's an instance. I only buff BoF and BoT IF it is;

-an actual hardcore instance

-GT with water pillars.
  • Orissa - Illyfue
    Orissa - Illyfue Posts: 496 Arc User
    edited July 2011

EACH priest has to heal, it's his basic role, regardless of ****ing build. There's no other class with 2 basic healing skills. And glacials aren't full DDs, they're hybrids, like vamps. Non-healing priests are just noobs who taken the wrong class
  • isyourname
    isyourname Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    you have healing skills

you have buffing skills

and even damaging skills

It doesn't matter if you're Rebel or Glacial or even Rebel/Glacial or Divine/Rebel or w/e you are, you have to make use of everything you've got. Also, you're going to be matched up with people you don't know and don't know you that will think and ask you to do something that's not in your forte. But you will have to make do with what you have and spare the QQ because it's not worth it and it just goes to show that many will QQ and feel terrible about it as well.
  • itsphii
    edited July 2011
    EACH priest has to heal, it's his basic role, regardless of ****ing build. There's no other class with 2 basic healing skills. And glacials aren't full DDs, they're hybrids, like vamps. Non-healing priests are just noobs who taken the wrong class

Sorry, but a decent glacial priest vs you would most likely win. Maybe you can even kill a non healing priest's pet if your lucky

Any ways, i don't give a flying **** if you guys would buff someone whos being a douchebag to you. Just don't be surprised those people will continue to be rude, due to the fact you're giving them something they don't deserve. Who gives a **** if you're a priest? If you're a dps talented priest then mention it and be an atker, with a different healer. THEY made every class have a dd talent for a reason. Everyone acts like not giving one person a buff whos raging at you, means you're a terrible priest. Okay, thats cool... thats you're own opinion, i'm sure none of you would ACTUALLY buff me if i went up to you and said "buff me noob". If so, you have some nice morals i see.
  • Ashaw - Eyrda
    Ashaw - Eyrda Posts: 1,127 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    lol do i have a story for you guys

So i was in a party awhile back and im a human divine priest

Emporers Canyon
    So i take probably 10 seconds more then everyone else to load a instance map. So i load it they already QQ heal me. so i go and start healing (dont got time to buff cause they rushed).
    There were 4 guys from the same guild (not my guild). Then a monster starts attacking me and i didnt relize till my hp is about gone so i use my party heal so it heals even the guys that were slightly wounded and me. I said type HELP cause a few more monsters started attacking me. They group just goes on and i die... So i pot up and heal myself and they waiting for the first boss. I come and they say stuff like "Took long enough?". So after the boss i tell them i need to pot. So i pot but they just keep going. I ask them if they even need me to heal them. One of them says Just heal you noob and dont die. So i say im not going to heal yall inless we at a boss. Then they start ragin Noob priest and all that stuff. Then i say just kick me and they do.
    Class Choosing Guide -
    fw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=188881

Race Choosing Guide -
    fw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=193701

They know I'm right -
    fw-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=3587381&postcount=43

[SIGPIC]http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/277/1/0/ashaw_siggy_1_by_zerojigoku-d4bsgdu.png[/SIGPIC]
    I dont play Ashaw anymore -_- its a boring class
  • Luciferia - Illyfue
    Luciferia - Illyfue Posts: 3,982 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Ok, just a few thinks I've got to say:

- The guy wasn't rude in the first place. You know, you are in an instance, you've got monsters to kill etc... you can't exactly type "Please, would you be as kind as to use your buff on me, because I am fairly certain it would greatly benefit both me and the party in this instance"... especially when you are in an instance that actually requires you to spam skills or the party gets wiped (yes, I'm not talking about GT, obviously) you can't really type anything more exquisite and polite than "HEAL!" even if you wanted to...

Now, if that "HEAL!", "BUFF!" is shouted again and again without any particular reason, followed by "U noob!" and the lot, then you've got every right to refuse/ kick the annoying party member. But if it actually reflects a legit complaint -like this person asked for a buff he clearly deserved, and like once I was shouted by a party member to heal while I was indeed not paying the necessary attention- there is nothing impolite about them - they're asking you to do what you should, do it and they might even return a "ty" afterwards.
    I mean, in the warriors' buff case, I don't think I've heard anyone say anything more polite than "War, Dragon!"... maybe because most of us in my guild are from somewhere in Eastern Europe, and do not exactly speak the best or politest English there is anyway... but then again maybe we just don't care...

How you reacted was unacceptable, and how the guy reacted afterwards was also unacceptable...

- Second, and most important... you are a priest. Maybe not with a strictly supportive build, but still a priest nontheless. At any case, you are a good off healer and support buffer - you've gotta buff your teammates the best you can... "saving mp" is a rediculous, unacceptable excuse in a game where items that regen mana are cheaper and more abundant than air... I have no buffs to give to the party so, when I've got the time, I do the next best thing I can - I heal everyone's pets. Ofc while the battle is on you should disregard buffs, unless absolutely necessary, and focus on DDing and healing, like all healers should do, be them main healers or off-healers. But when you've got free time and something to help your party before the fight, use it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • itsphii
    edited July 2011
    Ok, just a few thinks I've got to say:

- The guy wasn't rude in the first place. You know, you are in an instance, you've got monsters to kill etc... you can't exactly type "Please, would you be as kind as to use your buff on me, because I am fairly certain it would greatly benefit both me and the party in this instance"... especially when you are in an instance that actually requires you to spam skills or the party gets wiped (yes, I'm not talking about GT, obviously) you can't really type anything more exquisite and polite than "HEAL!" even if you wanted to...

Now, if that "HEAL!", "BUFF!" is shouted again and again without any particular reason, followed by "U noob!" and the lot, then you've got every right to refuse/ kick the annoying party member. But if it actually reflects a legit complaint -like this person asked for a buff he clearly deserved, and like once I was shouted by a party member to heal while I was indeed not paying the necessary attention- there is nothing impolite about them - they're asking you to do what you should, do it and they might even return a "ty" afterwards.
    I mean, in the warriors' buff case, I don't think I've heard anyone say anything more polite than "War, Dragon!"... maybe because most of us in my guild are from somewhere in Eastern Europe, and do not exactly speak the best or politest English there is anyway... but then again maybe we just don't care...

How you reacted was unacceptable, and how the guy reacted afterwards was also unacceptable...

- Second, and most important... you are a priest. Maybe not with a strictly supportive build, but still a priest nontheless. At any case, you are a good off healer and support buffer - you've gotta buff your teammates the best you can... "saving mp" is a rediculous, unacceptable excuse in a game where items that regen mana are cheaper and more abundant than air... I have no buffs to give to the party so, when I've got the time, I do the next best thing I can - I heal everyone's pets. Ofc while the battle is on you should disregard buffs, unless absolutely necessary, and focus on DDing and healing, like all healers should do, be them main healers or off-healers. But when you've got free time and

something to help your party before the fight, use it.

I agree, i was talking about when people harass, or rage for buffs or heals. But anyways, i really dont care if i'm a priest or a sin, i don't play with jerks in general. Being a priest isn't being someones *****, the people i play with know that if they're going to treat a support like a *****, then they'll get kicked or just keep dieing
  • viiix
    viiix Posts: 1,270 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    As a priest, I buff everyone as soon as we arrive. Sometimes I do pets too, if I know for sure boss AOEs won't do them in and waste my mana. It's good practice, since we're good for two things--heals and buffs. With a good bard, I find that I rarely need to heal, and their buffs are pretty awesome too. We don't contribute much damage even if we spam skills (relative term, as our CDs make it really hard to spam)--though I'm talking a a divine priest--and the buffs help a ton in others' damages.

Even if you don't like the person individually, buffing him will help out the rest of the party if he does his job and DDs. Think about the big picture--which is why the mana to buff others at the beginning is more than worth it.

GT, though. If you've got a smart party who avoids the light traps, it's all good. I find it frustrating when after I buff, a member doesn't avoid the trap and then moans at me to buff them again and again.