Population Dwindling

Comments

• namestakenffs
    namestakenffs Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Way too many realms? Lol, if not for those realms you could be assured of two things:

1) Massive Lag

2) Rediculous PK wars

A third issue would be farming mats.

1. Only if the server cant handle it. As for clientside lag it cant be any worse than the 5 frames per second cond vs final wars give me.

2. thats EXACTLY what we want. this game was designed for pvp but it never happens. cause its a ghost town. aside from the lvl 60s pking lvl 30s at tower town. safe zone wars and noob killing is boooooriiiing

3. obviously there would need to be more mats and event locations/spawn rates to compensate the realm loss.
  • Miubs - Illyfue
    Miubs - Illyfue Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited May 2011

way to freaking many realms for a small population that struggles to rival the population of private servers of a 10 year old game..

Then go play your private server that seems to be bigger then an official game,you won't be here in another month from now on and nobody will miss you.

Regardless of what you say,the game has good reviews and new people are stil coming everyday.And with the new expansion here,more and more will join.

If you are so concerned with the PvP aspect,try GvG for a change,or wait for the upcoming arena.
  • namestakenffs
    edited May 2011
    Then go play your private server that seems to be bigger then an official game,you won't be here in another month from now on and nobody will miss you.
    No thanks, i dont play with russkies. Language barrier and all.
    You can't deny that something is wrong here with the low population.
    Regardless of what you say,the game has good reviews
    You mean the paid and biased reviews I see even for the worst mmos like Kabod and Aika? That mean nothing and serve only to get people to try out the game and get trapped after investment?

Most of the people I talk to are on the verge of quitting and are lvl 60. I've experienced everything the game (currently) offers and much of it is a detraction rather than fun.

The only thing is fun pvp with non-CSrs but it rarely happens, and the stupid soul balls are a massive detraction as I predicted. Especially if it's RH farming.
    try GvG for a change,

You mean the ones that
    a. dont take place after being planned
    or
    b. get denied in the first place?

lolol.

Anyways at most 24vs24 can be fun, any more it's just mindless zerg and frame rate raep thanks to the bad 10 year old game client engine.
  • Luciferia - Illyfue
    Luciferia - Illyfue Posts: 3,982 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    You mean the paid and biased reviews I see even for the worst mmos like Kabod and Aika? That mean nothing and serve only to get people to try out the game and get trapped after investment?

Ok, if you don't trust reviews, you might at least trust player opinions.

http://mmohuts.com/gamelist?sort=desc&by=rating

Take a look at the MMORPG with the best user-voted rating...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kalza - Storm Legion
    Kalza - Storm Legion Posts: 368 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    1300981524_10846384_134e1e873f7db3c899a8kATQyoAaV6vy.jpg
    Less Visa, More Skill, EZ
    fw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=2778121
  • Dyvim - Eyrda
    Dyvim - Eyrda Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I'm personally really enjoying the game even though it can be repetitive. Amen to RubyWep's post, you hit the nail on the head.

Begin Lesson/ rant / TMFI

Take a step back and think to yourself if the game is fun for you. If you're constantly stressed out and frustrated, ask yourself, "how can I make the game more enjoyable." "Is this game worth my time?" If you're a 'I gotta be the best, the first, or the fastest' with a limited amount of game time per day (0-4hrs), this game will do more harm than good. Many of us have a real life and left the days of those 6hr/day(+) play time in the dust long ago. Dedicating 4 hours of play time after work is hard enough when you have a family and bills to pay. I'm 29 and have invested time in many great MMO's from EverQuest I back in 2000 to the WoW phase years later. Every seasoned mmo gamer has the desire to build great character BUT we wont do it at the expense if its a stress inducer. (We get enough of that at work, game time is for relaxation) Attempting to fit everything the game offers into one 4 hour session is not feasible and you would be disgusted with the game within a month if you tried.

So what do we do?
    Learn to set a few goals for the day and when you accomplish them just... do what you want to do rather than a daily or quest you feel you must do. Chill at the AH, go find some sucker to slay, help your guild members, craft, achievements, farm mats, etc.. That is the best advice I think I can give. I promise the game will be much more rewarding. Also, if your guild is pressuring you to constantly do more and more, and you have a RL, it's probably not the guild you should be in. Those are the guilds for 17 yr old young adults with free time a plenty. Enjoy the game, QQ Less, or GTFO.;)

End Lesson / rant / TMFI
  • Shyren - Eyrda
    Shyren - Eyrda Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    way to freaking many realms for a small population that struggles to rival the population of private servers of a 10 year old game..
    That's because people are incredibly lazy these days, and want to be spoon fed. But wait, when that happens, they also complain game gets boring and old fast, and quit it anyway.

I can't believe I see QQs about being too hard to level in FW, or it being too repetitive to do so. What do you want, to do 10 quests and level up? That will take a few days to get to cap. You want that? That's same as a private server status, but then again, why are private servers so lowly populated? Clearly it must mean they become boring after a short while.

Instead of QQing game is "too boring" how about you make suggestions? If you want to reach level cap in 10 days like I said, you'll start QQing it gets boring and old fast. If all you want is fair PvP, well they're adding arena. Wanna bet ppl will get bored of that too in a bit? And actually making it open only certain days adds to the excitement and less boredom for it, if it was all day every day, you'll start getting bored of that too, fighting against same opponents, some pwning you bad, others being not even a challenge.

So people don't even know what they want these days, they get bored of everything really... they only mention WoW or some old MMO being much more fun than this because it was one of the first and you had lots of fun playing a different type of game back then (online and all). MMOs are becoming old now though, and people lost that excitement. Once again you can't compare how fun Quake 3 was at its time, and blame it on today's FPS's, even if Quake 3 sucks now.

I also love the enthusiasm some ppl have for sequels for this exact same reason, that they were such great games in the past. Sorry to burst your bubble but, it won't be as great as the original when you played it long ago.

People are losing interest in MMOs in general these days, Rift "failed", Tera will be similar you'll see, and even the beloved GW2. You really think you can have so much fun in GW2 that you think is gonna be the ultimate game? I bet you nobody that waits for it so much now, will play it for a year or more, they'll move on fast to another one. Same old "I'm waiting for XYZ" will be for such players that can't cope with repetitiveness of MMOs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lashen - Eyrda
    Lashen - Eyrda Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    People are losing interest in MMOs in general these days, Rift "failed", Tera will be similar you'll see, and even the beloved GW2. You really think you can have so much fun in GW2 that you think is gonna be the ultimate game? I bet you nobody that waits for it so much now, will play it for a year or more, they'll move on fast to another one. Same old "I'm waiting for XYZ" will be for such players that can't cope with repetitiveness of MMOs.

I can't run around randomly PKing KoS people with a self-instanced based system like GW2, so it's a no-go for me and a lot of people I play with feel the same way. A game can't cater for everybody's taste, regardless of how much it has been hyped.
    Cuz You Sebestimated Me.
  • Celennes - Illyfue
    Celennes - Illyfue Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Shyren I totally agree with your good points. People get bored in just about everything as they try to accomplish everything right away. I take time in games in general, don't want to rush games like many do, so they don't get boring and repetitive. So even if people are leaving, I believe new ones come in. :)
    Celennes - Level 90 frost mage. New sig coming "soon". | <Balerion Slayer> |
    <Hero of Summit of Elements> |
  • Grimspark - Lionheart
    Grimspark - Lionheart Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I have no idea what any of you are talking about. Lionheart realm 3 is SWAMPED. Only time I never see people is like, 3 o'clock in the morning.

Not that I'm inviting you. It has crappy pings as it is. Last night they were speaking Hindi in my party. I think diversity is awesome, but geez....
  • namestakenffs
    edited May 2011
    I know what I want.

1. 1 realm instead of 10 and some quest/harvesting changes to compensate lost realms.
    2. instances replaced with open world dungeons like L2. Much pvp to be had.
    3. make instance mobs less useless or reduce their hp, the pot cost is insane for some classes and instances take too long even though they're incredibly easy aside from taking ages to kill for poor reward. also be nice if mobs gave xp worth a ****.
    4. TRACK GUILD BASE QUESTS AND MAKE THE INFO PUBLIC. A lot of guilds need to ban hundreds of inactives but cant track them! I mean jesus, each member only has to do one base quest per day to cap construction... instead of 10 people doing 16.
  • Galeron - Eyrda
    Galeron - Eyrda Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    That's because people are incredibly lazy these days, and want to be spoon fed. But wait, when that happens, they also complain game gets boring and old fast, and quit it anyway.

I can't believe I see QQs about being too hard to level in FW, or it being too repetitive to do so. What do you want, to do 10 quests and level up? That will take a few days to get to cap. You want that? That's same as a private server status, but then again, why are private servers so lowly populated? Clearly it must mean they become boring after a short while.

Instead of QQing game is "too boring" how about you make suggestions? If you want to reach level cap in 10 days like I said, you'll start QQing it gets boring and old fast. If all you want is fair PvP, well they're adding arena. Wanna bet ppl will get bored of that too in a bit? And actually making it open only certain days adds to the excitement and less boredom for it, if it was all day every day, you'll start getting bored of that too, fighting against same opponents, some pwning you bad, others being not even a challenge.

So people don't even know what they want these days, they get bored of everything really... they only mention WoW or some old MMO being much more fun than this because it was one of the first and you had lots of fun playing a different type of game back then (online and all). MMOs are becoming old now though, and people lost that excitement. Once again you can't compare how fun Quake 3 was at its time, and blame it on today's FPS's, even if Quake 3 sucks now.

I also love the enthusiasm some ppl have for sequels for this exact same reason, that they were such great games in the past. Sorry to burst your bubble but, it won't be as great as the original when you played it long ago.

Pretty much what he said all Mmo's get old there is not one mmo that can be played for a long lenght of time where you are always going to have fun and not be bored, because people rush to hit max lvl then qq when they got nothing to do.

After i hit 55 i didn't bother lvling or rushing to lvl anymore,everyone will get bored at some point and either you find something to do or quit and move on or try and make suggestions to better the game or add more content, coming to the forums and complaining the population is dieing make suggestions to try and make the game better.

I don't see the population of Edyra dieing the pvp server seems pretty full all i see dieing is guilds and merging into new ones
  • Axym - Lionheart
    Axym - Lionheart Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Shyren I totally agree with your good points. People get bored in just about everything as they try to accomplish everything right away. I take time in games in general, don't want to rush games like many do, so they don't get boring and repetitive. So even if people are leaving, I believe new ones come in. :)

While I agree, that last part is the problem. The most successful mmo I was apart of was Allods and it had a massive end-game problem (too many high levels) but there seemed to be a steady stream of new people coming in. There was almost always worldchat asking for the first and second instances, this isn't true with FW.

As it's already been said, low levels are almost always simply alts of high levels. This is truly a problem as this discourages new people from coming into the game because they can't find people to play with them (even high levels don't want to help with FR after a while). With no new blood, the game will start to wither and die.

As for people leaving? Good riddance. If you don't want to play the game, that's not my fault and I'd rather them not be here than listen to them complain.

I want to say I don't think that the population is dwindling on my server, it's just that people are spread thin, by realms or whatnot, and most if not all are in a guild, so few are looking for parties, except maybe for events.

However, FW really needs to fix this incoming population problem or we'll have a serious shortage at some point.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    As long as I'm captain, the rum shall never be gone.
    tinyurl.com/FWEmotes courtesy of Deltatroopa
  • Luciferia - Illyfue
    Luciferia - Illyfue Posts: 3,982 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    There was almost always worldchat asking for the first and second instances, this isn't true with FW.

As it's already been said, low levels are almost always simply alts of high levels. This is truly a problem as this discourages new people from coming into the game because they can't find people to play with them (even high levels don't want to help with FR after a while). With no new blood, the game will start to wither and die.

I don't really think so. At least in my server, that's not the case. You still see wc messages for FR and EC (though why not just use auto queue for those 2 I don't know) and loads and loads of newbies - not alts, really new players.

Ofc Illyfue population has really decreased since Nyos opened, but still, it's not at all bad, I'd say it's now "nicely populated" as opposed to the "crammed" of the first few weeks of OB.

After all, there are SO MANY new guilds created... if there are not enough new players then how come all those guilds sprout one after the other?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FORTRESS - Eyrda
    FORTRESS - Eyrda Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Ouch... with this newly released gem boxes for 40leaves... there will be a lot of people quitting. People were outraged the last time...
  • kkkkk
    kkkkk Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    yea less ppl will play!!!
  • ohaigaise
    ohaigaise Posts: 689 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    im kind of excited for the gems. the CS users will buy them, drive prices down on gems(particular ones i want) and those of us that have played smart and saved money, will benefit from low prices.

the not so smart players will be left behind... oh well.
  • icauseriots
    icauseriots Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I took my time with this game. I got my prot to 57 and stopped rushing with it. I take my time to enjoy every aspect of the game AND work on all the jobs that come with the characters. I play in the Storm server and the server really only seems to die between 5am-11am and than it get populated again. I agree that FR and EC don't run as much but why would it..the gear isn't even that good XD LH still gets run all the time and the 40+ instances are populated as well. I think people just want things to be super exciting 24/7 when in reality all MMO's are going to be like this. (as said earlier) Yet i still sometimes see people doing FR and EC and you can public que for them just as easily. I think people are being way too harsh when giving opinions on this game and it's actually quite entertaining. The CSers aren't ruining the game either cause i can still hold my own in a duel with CSers just fine. (now i'm too sure what's gonna happen after these new gem box's XD) I think people need to realize that you need to just pick a game and stick with it because they are all the same.
    IGN:Fakie
    Guild:RAWR
    Class: Marble Protector

Waiting for the world that is Forasken!

RAWR!
  • Tymon - Lionheart
    Tymon - Lionheart Posts: 350 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Too much new stuff for the uber high levels, not enough for mid range people. For mid range people the game sort of just...stagnates. why is it that 40, 50. and 60 people get their own map but level 20 and 30 have to share one? I find this really stupid personally.
  • Gamuza - Storm Legion
    Gamuza - Storm Legion Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Too much new stuff for the uber high levels, not enough for mid range people. For mid range people the game sort of just...stagnates. why is it that 40, 50. and 60 people get their own map but level 20 and 30 have to share one? I find this really stupid personally.

Play the game longer than most who complain about nothing to do and get to those higher lvls to be on those maps.
  • _Alastrina_ - Storm Legion
    _Alastrina_ - Storm Legion Posts: 840 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    because you can level to 20-30 in 2 day
  • Zypii - Storm Legion
    Zypii - Storm Legion Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    On another point why IMO many are leaving is
    because FW does NOT Allow 'Full Stacking' on a
    FULL INVENTORY>.

Needing 1 to 3 free open spaces in your inventory
    to be able too Craft (anything) *,
    Receiving Quest rewards,
    Collecting Regiments ( that SHOULD stack in ) if you already
    have a small stack of, 6 Wild Roses, in a already FULL inventory.
    * You Should be able to Craft, say a Sweet Dreamland, If
    you already have everything you need to make them PLUS a few
    already finished Sweet Dreamlands ( in your FULL Inventory ),
    to free up what little Bank & Inventory space we get without
    having to pay CS to enlarge them.

I could also say there are a few IMO very 74M3 quests, like on the wish cards,
    they send you across the game map to some remote location to only kill 1 MOB
    and thats it! All the time in this game is spent on running around.

BTW I knoticed when you log off this game of FW I noticed in the lower
    right corner some text that says start a BOT or press 'H' on the kb. :O
    Wats this all about?

• Kousou - Storm Legion
    Kousou - Storm Legion Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    I think that the problem most people have neglected to answer when providing falsely optimistic opinions of the server populations is this: the idea that there should be more lower leveled players than higher leveled players, discounting alts.

With everyone debating on whether or not there is enough activity/content for the lower levels may be a cause, sure, but it ultimately comes down to whether or not there are distinct players enjoying the content, and whether or not this outnumbers the growing ranks of capped/high-level players.

Making an analogy to sociology, any half-decent sociologist understands that population growth starts with an influx of younger people who gradually age; when sorted by age, a display of the population would show a pyramid, with a bunch of children and some adults, along with few old people. A population is stagnant when the display appears to be equal across the age groups. A population is declining when there are too many old people, and not enough children.

The same concept can be applied to model the server population as well; a server is growing when there are a bunch of newer players relative to the experienced ones. A server becomes stagnant when the amount is roughly equal. A server becomes dying when there are too many capped/'experienced' players, and not enough (relatively) new players to replace them, leaving behind vast areas exclusive to beginners that appear like deserts to any new player, devoid of life and activity.

It's not about how any low level instance or content is explored 'often enough'; it's a contrast between how often said content is actually explored versus the highest level content.

In my conclusion, I'd like to point out that Forsaken World has a relatively stellar retention rate for the most experienced players, probably because people have invested thousands of dollars into their character. However, it obviously does not garner enough attention to pull in new players, and, no matter how well PWE continues to pander its existing playerbase with new content/discounts/packs/etc, will slowly and surely decline without some remedy in the near future.

As for that lag in Freedom Harbor, how much of it is from the actual number of players versus the terribly-obsolete memory-leaking game engine?

tl;dr?
    1) Low level players should outnumber (or, at the very least, be equal to) high leveled players in a healthy server. This is not the case.
    2) FW is designed to retain the core players and spenders, but does poorly at enlisting new players.
  • Tailedcolors - Illyfue
    Tailedcolors - Illyfue Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    ^ 100% agree with what they said. If there were incredible amounts of low level players, then there would be a lot more people applying for lower to mid level instances, something that isn't happening now. If there were higher amounts of people starting the game, then when I run around the maps, I would actually see a lot of other players around the same level as me.
    I don't really think so. At least in my server, that's not the case. You still see wc messages for FR and EC (though why not just use auto queue for those 2 I don't know) and loads and loads of newbies - not alts, really new players.

Ofc Illyfue population has really decreased since Nyos opened, but still, it's not at all bad, I'd say it's now "nicely populated" as opposed to the "crammed" of the first few weeks of OB.

After all, there are SO MANY new guilds created... if there are not enough new players then how come all those guilds sprout one after the other?

EC? No problem. FR? Once in a few million years.
    Seriously, I had to use my world flute and ask for people to help in fort rotulor, after waiting around two hours and more on the Automatic Instance Application thing. (I'm an alt, by the way.). Everyone seems to be so reluctant in helping.
  • ForeverMore - Illyfue
    ForeverMore - Illyfue Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Why? Because summer is coming and alot of people would probably rather be outside in the sun instead of being on the pc 24/7. Duh, its like that for most grindfest games :p With FW they are just demanding way too much time and money with how the system goes... Not fun :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tailedcolors - Illyfue
    Tailedcolors - Illyfue Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Why? Because summer is coming and alot of people would probably rather be outside in the sun instead of being on the pc 24/7. Duh, its like that for most grindfest games :p With FW they are just demanding way too much time and money with how the system goes... Not fun :(

Heh, you do realize the seasons are different around the world? Right now in Australia I'm enjoying a cool winter. Just saying. Also, not going on their PC 24/7 doesn't exactly help the cause of 'too little new players joining the game'.
  • Artaus - Storm Legion
    Artaus - Storm Legion Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    LOL, people that say that the game is a "ghost town" must be hallucinating, or spending their whole time holed in some remote place of the least populated realm of their PvP (hence less populated, because in this day and age people are sick of gankers) server.

Storm legion is always nice and full, and there's tons of people around in every realm, at every hour, so no, I'm not one bit worried, especially since the game has passed it's first month of official release, and it's completely normal that the "new game hoppers" left by now. Even without them, population is plenty good.
  • Germin - Storm Legion
    Germin - Storm Legion Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    On Storm there is little problem getting into FR. I've been leveling 3 alts and have been able to cap my FR on all of them without a lot of effort.
  • steveba50
    steveba50 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    I'm a Lev 48 priest i agree with the OP and some other views expressed here.

I am even at the point where i don't even bother with Henry quests now i just wait 4 or 5 days then do 3 X GT with rested bonus XP an scroll then log out for another 4 or 5 days .

Other quests are pointless.....there is no PVP.....

You should make PVP zones where quests grinding payout huge XP in return for the risk of getting killed ala Dark Age Of Camelot.

This is quite a good game(has potential) but it's only a short term time sink i think for many and the population decrease seems to by a symptom of this tired Genre and lazy developers now .
  • thaillia
    thaillia Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    I heard about this game from a Guild disband on Rift... instead of reforming elsewhere... they went here and I thought I'd try it out.

I've looked around at MMO websites all over- just googling for MMO 2011 to see what's around. This game is not listed anywhere. It's not ranked, appreciated or advertised that I can see.

so- if population is dying, blame the Designers and marketing and/or word of mouth. There just isn't any of it to be seen.

It's different- I like that; but it's pretty uninspiring otherwise. I'll play along a little while; but as soon as it gets monotonous or I can't find folks to group with... probably heard off myself.