A "Small" tip on playing as Bard

jaon
jaon Posts: 2 Arc User
edited May 2011 in Bard Discussion
Many High level Bards and not only will probably hate me for what i'm going to say here. However before flaming on this post lets ask a few questions:

1."What Main purpose of being Bard? "
The answer probably will be:" Being best Supporter to party"

2." How i do that?"
"By trying to keep 30secs Buffs always up in addition to heal"

In order to do what requires in answer number 1+2 Bards requires an immense mana usage. You can say:"So what? I have plenty pots stacked always with me cause i'm good player"
What i'm going to suggest WON'T go in dissonans with that claim but will help to reduce the amount of pots used during process or will help to extend your ability being Supporter in combat.

My suggestion is this:
keep ALL chords producing spells at lvl 1!!!

You will gona say:"But i'm losing a LOT in damage!"
That is True but only partially. You do lose in damage on those spells but your main nukes still chordless spells which are enforced by various effects triggered by lvl 1 Chord spells.

Cheers :)
Post edited by jaon on

Comments

• Demyx - Storm Legion
    Demyx - Storm Legion Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    First off...that's not a tip, it's a question. So your Subject Line is somewhat off...

Bards play the Jack of All Trade in parties. We're the only other class aside from priests that have an AoE skill. We have a rez skill as well in later lvls that can be used in combat.

We act as a DPS/Buff combo, since our buffs can only really be cast when we're fighting. Saves on time and allows us to put up the buffs needed, when they're needed. I normally don't throw the Defense buff up unless I know it's needed.

Depending on how the Bard is built, we can freeze/slow enemies, heal the party even more (Light Bard FTW by the way) and even act as a sole DPS if need be (Surge + Courage = WhaCHAW)

There are also skills Bards have that other classes don't. While Priests can heal everyone, Light Bard's get Solo of Light, restoring a large chunk of our life instantly. All Bard's have Divine Comedy, which puts all the mobs in a radius to sleep. Depending on what branch you are, Divine Comedy can also causes other status effects on top of sleep.

In the end, WE are there to make everyone's job a little easier. Save the Priest some MP, power up the Warriors, Sins, MM and Prots even more so...and give a much needed Defense/Power boost to Mages.

Please...hold your applause until after we play an encore for you...that sweet song which blew the monster up just made a terrible mess of my brand new suit
    Part of the fun of playing the game is wading through 98% of the idiots and trolls to find the 2% who you enjoy playing with.
  • jaon
    jaon Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    First off...that's not a tip, it's a question. So your Subject Line is somewhat off...

Bards play the Jack of All Trade in parties. We're the only other class aside from priests that have an AoE skill. We have a rez skill as well in later lvls that can be used in combat.

We act as a DPS/Buff combo, since our buffs can only really be cast when we're fighting. Saves on time and allows us to put up the buffs needed, when they're needed. I normally don't throw the Defense buff up unless I know it's needed.

Depending on how the Bard is built, we can freeze/slow enemies, heal the party even more (Light Bard FTW by the way) and even act as a sole DPS if need be (Surge + Courage = WhaCHAW)

There are also skills Bards have that other classes don't. While Priests can heal everyone, Light Bard's get Solo of Light, restoring a large chunk of our life instantly. All Bard's have Divine Comedy, which puts all the mobs in a radius to sleep. Depending on what branch you are, Divine Comedy can also causes other status effects on top of sleep.

In the end, WE are there to make everyone's job a little easier. Save the Priest some MP, power up the Warriors, Sins, MM and Prots even more so...and give a much needed Defense/Power boost to Mages.

Please...hold your applause until after we play an encore for you...that sweet song which blew the monster up just made a terrible mess of my brand new suit

Hun your post kinda irrelevant since you haven't seen the proper version of it due to small fluke with my keyboard issue
  • Demyx - Storm Legion
    Demyx - Storm Legion Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    jaon wrote: »
    Hun your post kinda irrelevant since you haven't seen the proper version of it due to small fluke with my keyboard issue

I'll admit it's irrelevance having re-read the new post, but since I posted before the new post was put up...I'm not going to say it's completely irrelevant.

That aside, keeping your chord-producing skills at lvl1 is a sure-fire way to get you kicked out of squads fast. The whole reason Bard's have to deal damage to produce buffs is we're meant to be damaging AND buffing. Doing one but not the other because you feel it's a waste is like a Priest not DDing when there's no need for heals because "they'd rather save MP".

NOTE: Tuneless Sound for Light Bards reduces Light Resistance. Having Chord of Light deal more damage is going to amplify that damage even more. Other Tree skills give other bonuses, cut resistances increasing Bard's attacks even more. Maximize all possibilities~

You don't have to keep ALL your buffs up ALL the time. Normally if I'm in a setting where the party would benefit more, I'll keep the Courage buff up (finishing it off with Sonata of Life to heal) and then either give them a Defense boost or put Surge on myself for more Damage. You eat up Mana...yes, you're going to no matter what. That's why Bard's have so much MP (I'm up to over 11k MP without a single Azurecloud gem, gear refined 3 times). You'll be downing a ton of pots just like Priests do when they attack AND heal...and we're not the only class. My Sin, who's my same lvl, burns through mana really fast to pull off all those crits.

For Surge/Courage Combo (as a Light bard, no cooldowns on attack skills yet ~.~ )
    C Tuneless C E (heal OR attack) C D Tuneless C. Slip in Sonata of Life as needed and you're gonna be healing, buffing AND attacking.

If you're main concern is saving MP, it's not a reason to not level your skills. MP management is all a part of being an arcane class, no matter if you're a Mage, Priest or Bard. Farming, Cooking...heck even dailies give you SOME MP stuff to work with.

SECOND NOTE: Just because you mess up a chord progression while putting a buff on doesn't mean you should wait. Almost all mess ups can be turned around to either re-apply a buff, or at the very least deal more damage.
    Part of the fun of playing the game is wading through 98% of the idiots and trolls to find the 2% who you enjoy playing with.
  • Adastra - Lionheart
    Adastra - Lionheart Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    So the only point you're trying to make is to cheap out on pots? Even though you can actually do good damage AND buff you choose to only buff? You also contradicted yourself there by saying you're losing A LOT in damage and then saying partially. You will be flamed by high level bards because they've seen the single target damage they can do. Have you?

If you have pots why not use them? Don't be cheap and bring pots and actually use them to make everyone's lives easier. It annoys me to no end when people don't bring pots and/or don't use them. The healers have to use mp pots to keep those taking damage healed up so those guys can at least return the favor by using hp pots when they need to, and using mp pots so they can actually use skills instead of auto-attack to kill faster. Next time you go in an instance, you better hope your priest doesn't say, "No mp" or "no pots", or try to sit down to drink in the middle of a boss fight.

edit* In fact, I just thought of something. The hp healed to mp used ratio decreases as heal is leveled up. Therefore healers should not level their healing skills so they can heal the maximum amount per point of mp used and they'll be much better healers because they'll have mp all the time for healing! mirite?
  • deathbunny
    deathbunny Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I thought that was the way to go as well but I couldn't stand suffering in damage so I just went back and leveled all of the skills. Yes, it consumes a lot of MP but it's worth it. Just spend an extra hour collecting potions mats and you're pretty much good to go for a couple of days depending on what you do...

Like Adastra said, you can even sit down and drink. No one is going to complain that you sat down to regain MP. But they will if you're not healing/buffing/attacking because of your lack of foresight.

cz47.gif
    Post in the right section and maybe you'll get the help you seek.

[ Guide Index | Search | PWE Support ]
  • Altecz - Storm Legion
    Altecz - Storm Legion Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Or be like my friends and say "SPAM E CHORDS" :cool:
  • Thorvald - Shylia
    Thorvald - Shylia Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    just but potions from remedy dealer like everyone.
  • Jigglypuff - Eyrda
    Jigglypuff - Eyrda Posts: 605 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    get in a bigger guild, get guild base and buy pots from guild base.

really any dd you do is dd. Light has lower dd then the other two trees but i think still more dd then a divine priest. LEVEL IT UP
  • iamfaceroll
    iamfaceroll Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I'm a water bard and i keep surge, courage and majesty up for all boss fights, and i have no problem with mp. just drink a gloomy blessing before the boss, coupled with a few mp pots. use sonata of water when you know there is incoming damage, and of course our elf racial and i have no problems while doing some decent damage.

But i do feel that as the game progresses, people are only going to want light bards for instances, cause frankly speaking our aoe heal untalented is kinda lacklustre which make me kinda sad especially considering since there is no dual spec, and my gears and gems are for water.
  • Jigglypuff - Eyrda
    edited May 2011
    get +healing effect, any bard can get it and it helps if you feel like youre 'not wanted' but seriously you can heal just fine in any instance if ppl dont be dumbasses.
  • Adastra - Lionheart
    Adastra - Lionheart Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Well I meant sitting down to regen in the middle of a boss fight is generally not a good idea but yes sitting is fine...
  • Jigglypuff - Eyrda
    edited May 2011
    i tend to buy more pots then food, i always have some mp food with me just incase i get the chance but usually i dont, pots do it for me godd. i might burn through a few extra but i dont mind it
  • acerito
    acerito Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    This is actually what i thought off when i noticed mp cost goes up alot per skill lvl.

But i couldnt keep them at lvl 1. Right now my spells are probably 3 or 4 levels behind and everytime i go to luna woods it takes me a year and a half to kill anything.

wel ok its not thaat bad but it forces you to use alot of mp pots while solo while saving you MP pots in groups.

Since i only do dailys + instances on my bard its not hurting me much. Im halfway to lvl 50 and still havent done a single quest in luna woods. Just henry requests when i cant abort anymore.

In the long run , its not bad , when i do decide to do missions there il outlvl all the mobs there.
    This only works for me cuz the time i got i spend doing missions on my alt rather than my bard.
    Also im still getting 1 level every other or 2 days + always using 5/day dreamlands when i do sit down to play.
  • Jigglypuff - Eyrda
    edited May 2011
    you do know that youre main quests give the the best soulgold, and that they really help in leveling. If you outlevel the quest lines to much and you need a mob to drop an item it wont drop and youll be stuck.
  • HushSound - Storm Legion
    HushSound - Storm Legion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    If MP is such a big deal go Water bard for -15% mp cost on attack skills :D
  • acerito
    acerito Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    you do know that youre main quests give the the best soulgold, and that they really help in leveling. If you outlevel the quest lines to much and you need a mob to drop an item it wont drop and youll be stuck.

yep. I just dont have time to do dailys and missions on two toons.

Special quest items drop regardless of level and if its a regular drop which arent that many it can always be bought.
    cuz like Raven orders drop from lvl 11 mobs everytime i kill them :)

Im not endorsing this playstyle but it is valid and works nonetheless