Lazy people, go make guides!

cornea
cornea Posts: 84 Arc User
edited April 2011 in General Discussion
=)

This is starting to look like JD, where you had to search forums for every little question that arose and there were no answers available.

Frequently asked questions, taming, instance tips, pet skills and maintenance - it's all outdated or incomplete.

Most needed are item lists I think: what items to look for at what lvl and what the standard effects (prefixes) are - and what the set bonuses do, where to get weapons for your level, how to refine and where to find ingredients for it...what to look for in offhand sidekick handhelds, how and where to get jewelry... The list goes on and on.

I suspect we'd get fewer gimps and some more prepared characters if some proper guides were in place. Quest guides, blow by blow. Instances descriptions and quests relating to them and gear to look for. Anything.
Post edited by cornea on

Comments

• Omniblast - Illyfue
    Omniblast - Illyfue Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    In all honesty; If "most" of the FW community wasnt such a btch, then alot more guides would have been here already.
    Those are just my 2 cents ofc.
  • mirrai
    mirrai Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Then why don't you just make it ? :D
    Actually as long you listen to what game said to you, you will understand most of the important things.
    About newbies on instances. As long they want to learn and listen to what their experienced team mates say, they should be capable in no time.

As long as they stop, hear, listen and want to learn, guides can't help people that only want to rush everything and "whatever" when given warnings.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Average player age on FW currently
    (0 ~ 17)23,4% - (17~20)31,2% - (21~30)19,5% - (30~40)4,7% - (70+)0,8% - (unknown)20,3%
    There were over 64 thread asking FW download and date, Currently there 28 Guild available for you
    I haven't update the information above.
    If you are wondering how to access ignore list =http://fw-forum.perfectworld.com/profile.php?do=ignorelist=
  • cornea
    edited March 2011
    mirrai wrote: »
    Then why don't you just make it ? :D
    Actually as long you listen to what game said to you, you will understand most of the important things.
    About newbies on instances. As long they want to learn and listen to what their experienced team mates say, they should be capable in no time.

As long as they stop, hear, listen and want to learn, guides can't help people that only want to rush everything and "whatever" when given warnings.

I made a guide on pet combining - after I'd searched in vain and only got two obscure pages with a lot of adverts and incomplete info.

Go do it!

EDIT ...not that it was stickied, as opposed to some 'JOB GUIDE, UPDATED EVERY DAY!!1!' that has cursory (and wrong) info on 4 jobs. Unsure who are mods here lol. Perhaps someone who knows someone can drop a hint to tidy up before an ob.
  • mirrai
    edited March 2011
    In all honesty; If "most" of the FW community wasnt such a btch, then alot more guides would have been here already.

Hmm, i think the most helping and fun community of PWE games only can be found on PWI forum.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (0 ~ 17)23,4% - (17~20)31,2% - (21~30)19,5% - (30~40)4,7% - (70+)0,8% - (unknown)20,3%
    There were over 64 thread asking FW download and date, Currently there 28 Guild available for you
    If you are wondering how to access ignore list =http://fw-forum.perfectworld.com/profile.php?do=ignorelist=
  • Firebat - Eyrda
    Firebat - Eyrda Posts: 4,190 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    The thing is... *Most* aspects of the game can be determined by reading in-game content... and a quick 10 second attempt at trial and error. That is how all of the beta players learned... it really isn't very complicated.

Step 1. Read. If still confused... continue.
    Step 2. Attempt. If still confused... learn from mistake and try again.
    Step 3. Succeed.

Other than that... even if we attempt to make a guide... it will be posted in the newbie forums.. which no one goes to with any questions, while the people who WANT the information will make a dumbass post in General Discussion without even attempting the search feature, nor reading stickied posts.

It is a futile cycle of stupidity.
    [Sigpic][/Sigpic]
    GreyjoyKraken -Firebat has been revealed as an evil bridge troll. Seek him out and solve his riddles three to get the mythical 2013 holiday box.
  • cornea
    edited March 2011

Yes, thank you for your helpful post =)

I made a guide, as pointed out above.

If a game community decides to randomly select betatesters, there will be noone mature enough (mental age) to complete a few guides. It's always so.
  • cornea
    edited March 2011
    The thing is... *Most* aspects of the game can be determined by reading in-game content... and a quick 10 second attempt at trial and error. That is how all of the beta players learned... it really isn't very complicated.

Step 1. Read. If still confused... continue.
    Step 2. Attempt. If still confused... learn from mistake and try again.
    Step 3. Succeed.

Other than that... even if we attempt to make a guide... it will be posted in the newbie forums.. which no one goes to with any questions, while the people who WANT the information will make a dumbass post in General Discussion without even attempting the search feature, nor reading stickied posts.

It is a futile cycle of stupidity.

I disagree vehemently. When I as a non-cb team up with those who did cb, they just rush through everything with no explanation. Where they took care to find stuff out, if you want a decent team you will have to live with ignorance. When I've been teamed with CBers, I have never been given 5 seconds total to read a flavor text.

This is why a mature (again mental age) CB community is crucial.
  • Shyren - Eyrda
    Shyren - Eyrda Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I sometimes write very informative posts but most of the time I feel like I'm typing them in vain because I don't get many replies at all... either people know already and were bored of my post or they don't even appreciate to reply and say thanks or that it was helpful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Firebat - Eyrda
    edited March 2011
    I sometimes write very informative posts but most of the time I feel like I'm typing them in vain because I don't get many replies at all... either people know already and were bored of my post or they don't even appreciate to reply and say thanks or that it was helpful.

trolling is so much more fun and effective than trying to help in direct methods....
    [Sigpic][/Sigpic]
    GreyjoyKraken -Firebat has been revealed as an evil bridge troll. Seek him out and solve his riddles three to get the mythical 2013 holiday box.
  • cornea
    edited March 2011

I've seen several. You rock.
  • cornea
    edited March 2011
    Again - relevant to what Shyrein said: I think moderating forums has to include sifting through posts to sticky those that are relevant enough to be dubbed Guides and to clear away those that are outdated or incomplete.
  • TornSpirit - Lionheart
    TornSpirit - Lionheart Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I think that if people actually USED THE OFFICIAL WIKI and EDITED THE OFFICIAL WIKI, we'd be a lot better off. I might consider doing so later.
  • Firebat - Eyrda
    edited March 2011
    I think that if people actually USED THE OFFICIAL WIKI and EDITED THE OFFICIAL WIKI, we'd be a lot better off. I might consider doing so later.

People don't read the stickies, nor use the search... what in the bloody hell logic did you use to assume that people will go to a separate website to answer their questions?
    [Sigpic][/Sigpic]
  • TornSpirit - Lionheart
    TornSpirit - Lionheart Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Good point..
    Perhaps instead of having to type out a length response each time, we simply point at the wiki and tell them to search for the answer.
  • cornea
    edited March 2011
    cornea wrote: »
    I've seen several. You rock.

Right now, I just point lost souls to the encyclopedia and laugh manically.

EDIT Buggy...what I WAS quoting was this:
    Good point..
    Perhaps instead of having to type out a length response each time, we simply point at the wiki and tell them to search for the answer.
  • Firebat - Eyrda
    edited March 2011
    I sorta like the method of "LRN2SEARCH" and then paste the link to the forum post that I found in 3.4 seconds after typing two words into the search box.

Has the benefit of making fun of idiots, having them realize that they wasted an hour waiting for a response to something I found in seconds, and having people call me a troll... which is also fun.
    [Sigpic][/Sigpic]
  • mirrai
    edited March 2011
    I think the thread title annoy guide maker more than encourage them. :cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cornea
    edited March 2011
    EDIT again, I get an extra quote. The more the merrier!

*bug snip*

mirrai wrote: »
    I think the thread title annoy guide maker more than encourage them. :cool:

'A pox on lazy mods who will have to start sorting what is relevant' would also have been more annoying than encouraging but there we are =(

What annoys me the most is the lack of experience. There has to be a few people who have moderated a game forum before instead of someone using an hour a day to delete 'server down'-whine.

It irks me that selection for CB didn't include 'do you know english and are you able to type'. It's like they had a giant server stress test with no end result.

I moderated and had 24/7 on IRC etc around 2000 and I'm not going there again even if paid. Too much work. But it IS work and not a kindergarten teacher coffee break. Temp banning random trolls. Closing threads. An example: if your thread that was (correctly) answered USE SEARCH wasn't also closed, no lesson is taught. When the devs/mods are themselves kids, there is no way to steer things.

Unfair eh? =)

But I'm just a noob, what do I know.
  • exyo
    exyo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Imo I dont know much about the game but when I do i'll make sure to type away :D
  • Omniblast - Illyfue
    Omniblast - Illyfue Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I did write some guides in the past already.. Including one of those PET Guides u see at Headquarters.
    More info would just be a waste ;-)
  • cornea
    edited March 2011
    I did write some guides in the past already.. Including one of those PET Guides u see at Headquarters.
    More info would just be a waste ;-)

But...the hq one needs a blow-by-blow how-to with relevant skills/npcs/potential problems/troubleshooting/answerable. Dammit it's in the wrong place and incomplete BUT very nice. It's super. Just needs more.
  • MuMutastic - Storm Legion
    MuMutastic - Storm Legion Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    HQ guides were very helpful when I first started looking into this game.......I wouldn't necessarily say adding a few updates would be wasted information...
    • you could add that only by killing an elite can you complete the quest given by the island npc
      broken traps already found on the island can be repaired and used to trap pets
    • you can acquire a new trap from the island npc once you have used yours
    • island pets drop food that can feed your own pet (if he eats that kind)

But not to pick on this quest guide, but being a 20+ year gamer, I am a little older than some so I tend to read, search, study strategies before attempting in game. I am going into an instance with as much knowledge as I can beforehand since it is rare (other than maybe with your guild) that gamers are patient enough to explain anything to a noob.

The forum could use some consolidation and organization of guides and more could be written but the game has been live for what? 2 months .......give it some time and they will come.
  • Opium - Illyfue
    Opium - Illyfue Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    www.forsakenworld.info is a very good site with nice info and database :)
  • Mage_Bash - Storm Legion
    Mage_Bash - Storm Legion Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Is it just me or does anybody thinks the OP is the lazy one here; who wants everything handed to him/her. Anyways, how do u write a guide? u have to experience wat u r writing abt, usually by trial n error. Cant u do that urself? U dont want to take risks but want to enjoy the reward, very selfish n greedy, imo.

And yes i have used guides b4 but i dont DEMAND it like a rich-spoiled **** brat.
  • Ashai - Eyrda
    Ashai - Eyrda Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Some helpful Links That have guides already :

http://www.forsakenworldhq.com/
    http://www.forsakenworld.info/
    http://erydaian.carbon13.co.cc/
    http://fw-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Main_Page
    http://www.forsakenworld-wiki.com/
    http://forsakenworldfans.blogspot.com/

now I don't know if some are still updated. I at least know the first four links should be. The rest is up to you to check out.
    vvicked.mmoguildsites.com
    Co-Leader of Wicked
    Visit: forsakenworldhq.com
    Writer for Forsaken World HQ (go there if you need guides :) )
  • Cascaa - Storm Legion
    Cascaa - Storm Legion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    amount of times ive seen were is fort rat or were is this mob or how i get to this..for goodness sake least try looking round the map or npc list..n if they took time to read the quests properly they would no how do things more..
  • Pieflavor - Storm Legion
    Pieflavor - Storm Legion Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    The problem is everyone is so full of themselves and that the game has been "out" for 2 months

(I applied as an author to FW HQ still awaiting response)

Just try to make a class specific guide and you'll have opened a flame thread.

Many ppl also gives a lot of false information and get easily offended when corrected.

Oh and there are also those correction **** who must correct every single world chat message/forum thread for the lulz.

All in all I'm much better playing than writing
    <Sebestimated>
    GOT this title as Storm downtime compensation
  • Ashai - Eyrda
    Ashai - Eyrda Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    The problem is everyone is so full of themselves and that the game has been "out" for 2 months

Just try to make a class specific guide and you'll have opened a flame thread.

Many ppl also gives a lot of false information and get easily offended when corrected.

Oh and there are also those correction **** who must correct every single world chat message/forum thread for the lulz.

All in all I'm much better playing than writing

I can check with Seb to see if he actually got your application. Or system didn't eat it. If you want me too :).
    vvicked.mmoguildsites.com
    Co-Leader of Wicked
    Visit: forsakenworldhq.com
    Writer for Forsaken World HQ (go there if you need guides :) )
  • youniverse
    youniverse Posts: 75
    edited April 2011

Not sure if I got your application or maybe the response ended up in the wrong place. Shoot me another email, so we can talk.
  • Reichle - Eyrda
    Reichle - Eyrda Posts: 353 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I don't think the OP realizes how brand spanking new this game is. You shouldn't expect full in-depth guides when the game doesn't even have all of its features yet. Generally, you can pretty much learn as you go if you have played at least one MMO before this one (and just by...reading?). If you haven't, join a nice guild before you do anything XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Inferno <3