Bard Talents

Nankura - Lionheart
Nankura - Lionheart Posts: 1 Arc User
edited April 2011 in Bard Discussion
Hey guys

ok basically im a total bard noob, ive searched the forums ( before anyone says use search :P haha ) and im just so undecided on builds

Im wondering if anyone can advise towards the best/most used ( preferably give me a talent calc link to follow ) survivability talent builds

Im after a build that is great for the all around, pve/leveling, decent damage so i can do quests easily and level quickly, and some sort of healing so i can survive instances and be useful

yea im so lost lol
Post edited by Nankura - Lionheart on

Comments

• Jigglypuff - Eyrda
    Jigglypuff - Eyrda Posts: 605 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    i would go light with a bit of water maybe or just pure light. And tbh i dont like saying that build is THE build cause it all depends on youre own playing style, i will rate and discuss builds. maybe you should try and set something up on the talent calc (although it is a piece of **** but better then nothing)
  • krayduk
    krayduk Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I would disagree and say go water.

Wind is a good tree, but it is not mana efficient, and the main target of the tree is powering up your buffs and movement skills. The movement buff is almost useless outside player vs player. I had the idea you could use the spell that gives you two C chords and use that in combination with the movement buff to run around like road runner, but the speed buff doesnt last long, and is hardly noticable, and the CC chord spell takes to long to cast so you dont really gain any ground.
    I only recomend the wind tree if you plan on doing allot of time in a party.

Light. you will probably get allot of recomendations to go light. from what I can tell this is good. The light tree has good debuffs and gives you some good healing bonuses. The problem is you wont do as much damage as the other two trees, and this tree doesnt really come into its own untill much later in the tree, so you will start out slower.

Water has a little of everything. You have an attack buff for yourself, making it easier to solo, you have the ability to slow/freeze enemies, making it easier to solo, you can reduce damage done to you and convert it into mana (this is a huge bonus, as we bards use allot of mana) You get a nice defence buff for your party.

and remember ALL bards can Area Of Effect Heal, you wont really notice the difference between a light bard heal and a wind bard heal untill level 40 or so anyway, and by then you could use your respeck stone.

So yeah I recomend Water Bard. The amount of time and money you can save by not buying or hunting down the ingrediants and making mana potions will make it worth it.
    Of course you still will be doing that, just not quite as much.
  • Jigglypuff - Eyrda
    edited April 2011
    you give specific buffs to specific trees, al trees have the same buffs.

since the OP wants more pve and leveling i suggested water/light build since light is most usefull in any instance and the water tree will give that extra damage boost. focusing on the light tree the most.

the difference on the aoe heal is felt once light bard has the reduced cd on it. gives the bard a bigger margin of error to use the aoe heal to early.

And wind is out of the question cause its a pain in the **** early game.
  • Nikn - Storm Legion
    Nikn - Storm Legion Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I would say go water and mix it with some wind.

You will do great damage, improve your survivality and have cooldowns reduced and some party attack buff increased and powered.
  • Izgardt - Lionheart
    Izgardt - Lionheart Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I am newbish and just started playing a few days ago but I am going with a wind build, I will probably mix in some light or water later but for now I am going pure wind mainly because I want to be a support player that focuses on buffs and damage. The infuriate skill in the wind tree ups your AOE damage buff, so I am maxing that and then will go into the skill for reducing wind-chord cooldown. I'm not too worried about the mana situation with wind because running around and crafting potions and stuff is actually my favorite part of games like this ^^. I think wind is good for buffing and stuff because both Surge and Courage require two wind-chords, so I am gonna lower the cooldown on that to crank out buffs faster. Plus wind is just bada$$, so win!
  • deathbunny
    deathbunny Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    You know all Bards get the heal skill... so you don't necessarily need go Light tree to stay alive. For starters if you are running at mobs without a second thought you shouldn't be playing the game. That's like running straight at a wall and expecting to go through it. You should always send your pet in first then you rarely have to worry about HP outside of instances.

I would recommend that you get the two talents which lower cooldown for your C and D chord skills. So something along the lines of:
    Infuriate 4 > Cruelty 1 > Wind Melody Knowledge 4 > Waving Ripple 5 > Ripple Mastery 4
    (Personal opinion but I think all Bards should have this as their base...)

This allows you to up your two damage buffs (party/solo) and be able to keep these two up while you solo or party to maximize your own as well as your party's damage. And lower cooldown means you're killing faster...

As for the rest it's up to you really. I personally am going Water tree as I tend to solo a lot but I'm still capable of supporting my party.

cz47.gif
    Post in the right section and maybe you'll get the help you seek.

[ Guide Index | Search | PWE Support ]
  • Jigglypuff - Eyrda
    edited April 2011
    getting both cooldown is a good thing but i didnt do it and still i never had problems getting both buffs up. tbh i dont see a point in lowering D chord's cooldown since for the attack buffs you only need it once.
    C D C then E C (tuneless sound in early game since you dont have rhapsody of wind before lvl50) C

works well if you are wind, only thing is the slow buff needs the lowered cooldown on Dchord but i hardly 1v1 anyway.
  • deathbunny
    edited April 2011
    It's for the ice skill. It needs to refresh to be able to freeze again but again it's totally my own play style. I like to be able to cast spells faster.

cz47.gif

• Jigglypuff - Eyrda
    edited April 2011
    maybe i should try and use the ice skill more in soloing but yeah everyone has their own style but open conversation about it makes everyone improve ;)
  • deathbunny
    edited April 2011
    maybe i should try and use the ice skill more in soloing but yeah everyone has their own style but open conversation about it makes everyone improve ;)
    When Ice Wind is maxed it is more like an immobilizing skill... mob barely moves. (Defeats the purpose of a tank pet though... :p) Best thing against a Protector too if you can cast it before they get that guardian thingy up.

cz47.gif

• Jigglypuff - Eyrda
    edited April 2011
    i wont duel a protector, and in a GvG situation if i see some big rock coming for me ill back out cause they are not my targets anyway, let the warriors or other protectors take them down.
  • deathbunny
    edited April 2011
    Just some info of what it can do. I was dueling in CB with some random players and it helps to be able to get your buffs up fast.

In a GvG, yeah I'd be running the other way too, lol. But I'm on Lionheart... I play casually when I get the chance and I like being able to kill fast without getting hit. It takes til near 40 to be able to really "shine" but that's when things slow down so... it helps.

Downside is that I do need to slow my cast at times cause I did pull aggro because of the ability to skill spam. x)

cz47.gif

• Jigglypuff - Eyrda
    edited April 2011
    im not completely geared or gemmed till endgame really comes but if i was and i skill spam i could take aggro of tanks as well. but i just pot, something i do in every instance i go through more pots but the priest i go with like me for that, they know i dont need a heal everytime i take some aggro
  • deathbunny
    edited April 2011
    Yeah. I'm 3x and I still have 1x gear... orz

You kind of have to pot now... not just to take the load off of a Priest. It was easier playing in CB when I was still roughly in the same level range as the top players and they knew what they were doing. Now I'm staring at my party's HP thinking "why isn't the Priest healing, why isn't the Priest healing"... "Will you heal the party already?!" /sigh

cz47.gif

• Jigglypuff - Eyrda
    edited April 2011
    well anyone can lvl though i try and keep partys in my guild everything is so smooth then, being on a voice chat helps and then all the sudden you pug one....OMG sometimes ppl dont even listen to you if you wanna help em understand the instance.

or the so awsome buff me pls bard at the beginning of the instance
  • Jigglypuff - Eyrda
    edited April 2011
    btw we going of topic ;)
  • HushSound - Storm Legion
    HushSound - Storm Legion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Is it just me is Tuneless osund bugged because it doesn't seem to generate a chord like it's supposed to
  • Jigglypuff - Eyrda
    edited April 2011
    tuneless sound doesnt make a chord its just a strong attack and something most bards use as a skill to use while youre chord creating skills are on cooldown
  • deathbunny
    edited April 2011
    What Tuneless Sound does is it has random element (can be water, wind or light)... not chord.

cz47.gif

• CooIStoryB - Lionheart
    CooIStoryB - Lionheart Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Water/Wind hybrid
    http://fw.perfectworld.com/talentcalc?cls=bard&r=elf&b=t1a11a25b14c34t2a15a25b14b23c23c33e13e23f12g22g32h21h31

Full Water(note: add 3 points into Improved Chord of Water)
    http://fw.perfectworld.com/talentcalc?cls=bard&r=elf&b=t2a15a25b14b33b43c24d34e11f12g22g32h13h21h31i11i23j13j22

Got these both from Chinese forum, currently trying the full water build not a fan of hybrid builds. My thoughts on light is very simple if you're going for light bard you minus well play priests, why settle for less when you can have the full extent of heals. Water bards are definitely pve, I can slow a mob up to 180%, they die usually before they even land a hit on me unless its a range type ofc, but when it comes to dueling or pvp you die very easily when it comes to range or warriors who can charge at you. My thoughts on wind is their mainly for buffing but I don't see much talents that prolongs a buff longer, so useless in my eyes.