Embarassing smilies

cornea
cornea Posts: 84 Arc User
edited March 2011 in General Discussion
Is there any way the devs would consider getting rid of the huge smileys permanently? I showed this game to an old friend and we both decided we could not get around the embarassing smiley spam. It was the same for me and PW.

I realize I may not be the target audience - a fairly grown-up person with a job and cash of my own who happens to enjoy games and who enjoyed games for ten years.

tl;dr? It's just too embarassing, can't play while the AOL-style emoticons stay in chat.
Post edited by cornea on

Comments

• byakuyan
    byakuyan Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Too much World and smilies spam, i hate that...
  • Kipal - Eyrda
    Kipal - Eyrda Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Okay, don't play then.

Not like anyone really cares. Many people find the smilies humorous. Go back to whatever game you were playing before then.
  • mirrai
    mirrai Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I find the smiles were different and looks less childish actually . .
    Because it's like a bunch of drunk people. :D
    Especially on one of my favorite emotion = the Yeaah !!

For me it look like a pervert by a little, but more like a very high spirited people . . still drunk tough.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Average player age on FW currently
    (0 ~ 17)23,4% - (17~20)31,2% - (21~30)19,5% - (30~40)4,7% - (70+)0,8% - (unknown)20,3%
    There were over 64 thread asking FW download and date, Currently there 28 Guild available for you
    I haven't update the information above.
    If you are wondering how to access ignore list =http://fw-forum.perfectworld.com/profile.php?do=ignorelist=
  • Amastacia - Storm Legion
    Amastacia - Storm Legion Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    to not play a game because of something so small....dont let the door hit ya on the way out!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kitty - Eyrda
    Kitty - Eyrda Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I'm pretty sure all PWE games have the large smilies. At least FW doesn't have the monkey ones.
    Kitty ஐ Condottieri (Condotta) officer
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bunnypirates
    bunnypirates Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I think they're ugly and I don't like how they stand out so much because of their large size... Hence why I don't use them. I rarely see people using them so they don't really bother me, lol. I don't really see why you should be complaining about them, I mean, nobody forces you to use them and you can always ignore the chat if there is too much smiley spam. o.o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

*CB1 player, herp-a-derp.*
    forsakenworldart.deviantart.comJOIN
    Retired; playing a game called life. O:
  • cornea
    edited March 2011
    Haha yeah I know and I certainly will not play anytime soon. That's just it: such a small thing will get rid of a large potential audience.

[immature response to the flaming trolls]
    It's like watching 17276953172365 sugar high children in the tweens chatting on AOL. Not cool. Nothing to do with gaming or, really, with socializing. It looks like those spam sites that try to blast your browser with smiley toolbars. Ugly, makes my fists itch and triggers the uninstall-now nerve. Simply a lousy idea to add to a game.

Where you go wrong is assuming I care - further than spotting yet-another-game targeted at 8 year olds that doesn't appeal to me. It's ok.

[/immature response to the flaming trolls]

It's a pity, I wanted to find out more about the game but this is a deal-breaker. And I can't agree it's a small thing - if I want to retain some resemblance of socializing (or trading), I'll have to look at the chat for countless hours of gaming. It's also where many will turn to for information.

I'm aware that blocking certain spammy users could be a solution... Perhaps I opted out prematurely? Perhaps there's an option checkbox that can disable all smilies and I didn't spot it? If there isn't, perhaps there could be? Perhaps blocklist space is infinite and I can slowly get rid of the worst that way?

It is not a small thing! Let me illustrate with a poor attempt at humour:

I'm looking for a new job, my old is good but change is nice. I visit the workplace a few times and it seems great only every time I go there, they make me wear a retardedly ugly hat. They all wear it. I ask them why the hell they accept wearing the ugly hats and they just shrug.

Will I accept this new work and wear the e-tard hat (one that I would be too embarassed to tell my friends about) or will I look for yet another workplace, while keeping my old rather boring job? Same satisfaction, same pay but no kindergarten. Personally, I'd stay with the old while continuing to look for yet another.
  • namestakenffs
    namestakenffs Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    There shouldn't be any smilies at all.
  • Cypherz - Storm Legion
    Cypherz - Storm Legion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I wouldn't call them 'embarrassing' lol. They are dumb and could be better...but they are just smilies and easy to over look.

Even the kitties in JD were better than beer pints.

And why do avatars still display wrong lvl?
    I blinked and cured my brain.
  • Deicidea - Storm Legion
    Deicidea - Storm Legion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I'm an adult with money of my own, and a job, and a house and children, and I find the smilies rather amusing. You know the key to being and adult is to not be so serious all of the time. This is a GAME its meant to be lighthearted and relaxing. I for one love the smilies, especially the pantie one. Our guild has a running joke about it that is very amusing.

To each his own. Just because you don't like them, doesn't mean they should be taken out. There are those of us that very much enjoy them.
    I'm a Carebear, I PewPew with Rainbows and Butterflies.
    (>")> ==--- <3<3<3
    Characters:
    Deicidea - 5x Rebel Priest // Livid - 4x Dark Assassin
    Melodei - 4x Light Bard // LickMyLoli - 3x Burst Marksman
    Gwendolynne - 3x Aegis Warrior // Cappadocia - 3x Blood Vampire
  • Cypherz - Storm Legion
    Cypherz - Storm Legion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I'm an adult with money of my own, and a job, and a house and children, and I find the smilies rather amusing. You know the key to being and adult is to not be so serious all of the time. This is a GAME its meant to be lighthearted and relaxing. I for one love the smilies, especially the pantie one. Our guild has a running joke about it that is very amusing.

To each his own. Just because you don't like them, doesn't mean they should be taken out. There are those of us that very much enjoy them.
    Lol the panties one is the only one that is win :D
    I blinked and cured my brain.
  • manajuana
    manajuana Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Ok now this takes the cake of being one of the dumbest reasons not to play a game ever lmfao

mt-1.gif
  • mirrai
    mirrai Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    How it's look childish if every emotion looks like a big glass of beer ? :cool:

It can make you feel like being in tavern with your party and have a long night of drinking, everyone laughing and drunk. = Childish ?

Isn't that was activity for a group of friends after a hard day work ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Average player age on FW currently
    (0 ~ 17)23,4% - (17~20)31,2% - (21~30)19,5% - (30~40)4,7% - (70+)0,8% - (unknown)20,3%
    There were over 64 thread asking FW download and date, Currently there 28 Guild available for you
    I haven't update the information above.
    If you are wondering how to access ignore list =http://fw-forum.perfectworld.com/profile.php?do=ignorelist=
  • friedfrenzy5
    friedfrenzy5 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I cannot appreciate the smilies like other can. Hopefully there will be additions to the the smilies in the cash shop soon.
  • Dopey - Eyrda
    Dopey - Eyrda Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    let me get this straight .

u wont play this game cauz of the Smilies?

• Teases - Storm Legion
    Teases - Storm Legion Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I'm pretty sure all PWE games have the large smilies. At least FW doesn't have the monkey ones.

No joke.

Besides.... a beer mug drinking beer is pretty funny/cute.
  • klath
    klath Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Hint: Disable world chat or only enable it on another chat tab.
  • Evidence - Eyrda
    Evidence - Eyrda Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    What is aol?
    Vague. Imply. Think.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Is my avatar a priest? ಠ_ಠ
  • cornea
    edited March 2011
    klath wrote: »
    Hint: Disable world chat or only enable it on another chat tab.

I gave it another try...

The top part of the chat box - can't find out how to get rid of it, nor how to edit out the spam. The editable lower part is easy enough.

I tried to ignore the smilies but an hour in it was getting to me, every giggling chubby beer glass. Like having irrelevant irritants thrown in the face when all you want to do is try read the flavor text.

There were few ALL CAPSED users (capslock is cruise control for nub, no?) and only a few guilds spamming with smilies and generic copy/pastes. Yet after three hours the blocklist was full. Turns out it's limited to 20. I'd pay good cash to extend that space.
  • Firebat - Eyrda
    Firebat - Eyrda Posts: 4,190 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    cornea wrote: »
    I gave it another try...

The top part of the chat box - can't find out how to get rid of it, nor how to edit out the spam. The editable lower part is easy enough.

I tried to ignore the smilies but an hour in it was getting to me, every giggling chubby beer glass. Like having irrelevant irritants thrown in the face when all you want to do is try read the flavor text.

There were few ALL CAPSED users (capslock is cruise control for nub, no?) and only a few guilds spamming with smilies and generic copy/pastes. Yet after three hours the blocklist was full. Turns out it's limited to 20. I'd pay good cash to extend that space.

It is in your settings... there should be checkmarks next to each chat channel. Whatever is checked is displayed depending on what mode you are in.

EDIT:

Settings > Game Settings > UI Tab > Sys > uncheck "world"
    [Sigpic][/Sigpic]
    GreyjoyKraken -Firebat has been revealed as an evil bridge troll. Seek him out and solve his riddles three to get the mythical 2013 holiday box.
  • denso
    denso Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I have to agree that smilies are for kids. I have tried to use them before but I start to feel like a child and can't use them anymore. I'm not going to quit the game over it but when I see someone use them I know its a younger more immature person.
  • namestakenffs
    namestakenffs Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    The smilies in this game are even more annoying than:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDoO90HSg4o

And that's really bad. Because guinea fowl will make you commit homicide, suicide, and/or animal cruelty after hearing them 24/7 for a week!

-remove- (not change) the smilies please, smilies are useless and ugly
  • Lathan - Lionheart
    Lathan - Lionheart Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    The most notable being gender lock I hate gender locked games won't even download them, the constant ceaseless wc spam will get rid of me quickly. Luckily for me though I decided to try a different server first yay XD
  • Fenrir - Eyrda
    Fenrir - Eyrda Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I honestly don't mind the fact that smileys are implemented, I just wish there were better ones... The current beer glass ones are too large and really obnoxious. I want the JD Tommy tiger smileys instead D:
  • Cheiala - Lionheart
    Cheiala - Lionheart Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    lmao, quitting a game because of something so trivial. Smilies? Seriously?

Oh, and they are definitely childish because tweens like drinking beer ALL the time.