Forsaken World - Review

mmorpgtactics
mmorpgtactics Posts: 3 Arc User
edited March 2011 in General Discussion
Forsaken World Online is a game developed by Perfect World Entertainment, and is what some consider the "next generation of free to play" MMOs. Now personally I don't know if the term "next generation" is totally appropriated, but no doubt Forsaken World Online is an outstanding game: killer graphics and animations, complex gameplay, a constantly expanding world, and best features from previous MMOs.
Post edited by mmorpgtactics on

Comments

  • tenysama
    tenysama Posts: 127
    edited March 2011
    A nice review, I have read several on your site. Ratings would be nice too though.
  • gustavomesquita
    gustavomesquita Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    killer graphics and animations, complex gameplay

    Was this an anticipation for 1st April? Or Is this a Trollbait. Because seriously, for someone who Is been sanely-aware of current PWE's situation, does -not- agree with this statement.

    Recycled content from previous games, outdated engine, lack of customization are one of the main factors to despise this game. Even a PC that was meant to overkill this game fails to do so (lulzsandybridgefailing).

    Thanks for the laughs anyway.
    [Add smth cool here]
  • tyanara
    tyanara Posts: 734 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    What has the engine being badly optimized have to do with the fact the animations aren't bad at all? >.>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • count210
    count210 Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I have played quite a few different F2P games & I must admit... I was impressed with PWE over all the others... I enjoy these games as entertainment hobby, but i must confess for the first time ever I am sooooooooooooo excited for a game to launch, I am actually considering seeking therapy :D
    Yes there will be the usual bugs n glitches to work through, but i have faith in this crew! I cant imagine anyone creating something so spectacular to allow it to become mediocre by not fixing its flaws. I hope to see FW ranked number one in all categories possible! super super product!
    "Goodmorning, are you a cash shopping player or are you a boutique bot?"
  • yudhistira
    yudhistira Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Was this an anticipation for 1st April? Or Is this a Trollbait. Because seriously, for someone who Is been sanely-aware of current PWE's situation, does -not- agree with this statement.

    Recycled content from previous games, outdated engine, lack of customization are one of the main factors to despise this game. Even a PC that was meant to overkill this game fails to do so (lulzsandybridgefailing).

    Thanks for the laughs anyway.

    A little rough around the edges, but what he says is true. This is far from next gen of MMO's. Some neat new tricks, but it's basically the same {type} of game. I really liked some of the content, and the care taken with an attempt to paint a story in the imagination, and to give things visually a unique feel in each of the race scenarios; but on the current platform, at some point., while i was interacting with the npc's and field mobs, it suddenly dawned on me: broken down 80's 'Chuck E. Cheese' animatronic band. Theres a very lifeless and stiff element to what is a very pretty game. (but not THAT pretty)

    Anyway. Just an introduction: i'm a pretty casual gamer as it goes, because I work and have social responsibilities. In short: got a life. So' i've shopped around to different games over the last few years, to find the one best mmo that I can throw all my down time into. I've been able to try them all: one at a time, and jsut enough to get a feel for the game. They all pretty much suck, with a few exceptions. Out of everything that was there I was hooked on SMT Imagine published by Aeria. I was stuck on that game for a couple years, and eventually accomplished what most of you would call a few days/weeks work, an 8x character. yes, one. Anyway, now, essentially, {that game is junk!} {but!} there was {something} there, which I will touch on a little. I think you'll know what I mean.

    The worst thing for me, here in FW, is what everyone hates: the auto-running to endless field grinds. Nothing like playing with dozens of others on the same field.... auto grinding. Reminds me of the first f2p mmo I ever played, which was Rappelz, published by Gpotato. Weird name for a game hosting company. D: Even if I said hello, you wouldn't want to respond. Why should you? you're just going to get your 10 fishmen and run back to town for the next grind xD My main was a bard, so keeping a steady pattern of "notes" to make good time would only get annoying with so uninspiring a grind. This is a time when you just wish you could auto skills. But those of you who've had Sword of the New World know that just defeats the whole purpose. The only game I know that you can get to level 100 in without having to actually play it. When you've only got a couple hours to play, late at night often, it's the last thing you want to do.

    With only a limited amount of instance scenarios allowed a day, this grinding is painful. Maybe even Atlantica painful. More of the old school. This would be a million times more appealing to me if it was more instance focused instead: That means, parties, people, and the non-linear dynamics there. A great example of a junky game that was fun as hell for this reason: SMT: Imagine. If only they actually had real content updates, but the game revolves around the few dungeon runs, of 5 member parties. I never had to solo grind. Grind as we know it would have been eliminated had there been no need to train skills. But, that in itself served a greater purpose: it was like a trip to the gym. Plus, got to socialize and meet new people in almost every run, which is what makes an mmo so fun: the game is alive, not becuase the of the pretty animations, but becuase it's moved by people. The combat was also very group oriented. In fact, the best class build in that game is probably the "Enhancer" type. Here, in typical leveling and exploring all that is unnecessary. And I really go out of my way to try to talk to people. (yeah, you! xD) If I wanted that, i'd have shelled out cash for some well produced single player game. An mmo thats going to capture my attention for long (and my wallet) should have a very demanding social focus for game advancement. (but not in a creepy way: see weird teenagers having emotional drama over maplestory or something.)

    The instances in FW are ok. They're as good as they can get, and I like them much better than what Gpot's Aika had to offer. But, then again, the main focus there was the 1000 vs 1000 realm wars, and realm raids. This is a game which tries to cater to the most popular elements in mmos, and comes up with some exciting features: but does so on an out-dated platform. If this had come out when Aika did, I would have chosen this one, for sure. But, that was then...

    Which brings me to now. A game I've been waiting on for a while is Dragon Nest. I began playing the CN version, which is not published by Nexon, but by Shanda, which I hear recently purchased Eyedentity games, which is the publisher of Dragon Nest. I jumped in after trying out the FW cb, so i've been exploring it for about a week. Everything is instanced save the cities, and the combat is almost like a third person shooter, ( for those of you like me, who hate shooting games, its the best comparison I could come up with) which makes for fast-paced button-mashing combo-action! Anyway, it's so exciting they put a fatigue guage that prohibits you from playing too much v.v But, this is also an anti-grind system. The quests aren't shallow covers for grind-fest, becuase of the unique instances. One series of quests is leading some frightened or bold goblin children through a certain instance you may have played before, or searching for one in a barrel, or bush. The version i'm playing is in Mandarin, I think, but the voice acting is good, and i'm picking up some phrases by inflection. So, the side quests available have a more animated and unique quality that is more reminiscent of story driven single player rpgs you'd want to buy. This also makes a great solo play becuase of this. I think it's a got a great balance. It's got it's problems, too, probably: but the thing here is it's operating from a higher platform. The potential is much greater. through cut scenes and npc interactions they achieve in more efficient and artistic way, your imagination, in bringing you into the world and story. The elements which are very linear in FW and the old school are much more fluid and dynamic in the newer model of game, and raise the bar of whats expected.

    Thats the next generation of MMO's. Dragon Nest has been around in Korea for about 3 years, and in the last year or so has been released in Japan and China. Look at a lot of the exciting releases for later this year, and next year: the best ones will be more like this model. and I'm very interested in PWI's publishing 'Rusty Hearts' which looks very cool, more with the action orientation. I'm also very Interested in what I see of "Blade & Soul" which I hope is like a Soul Calibur fight-style MMO Rpg p= which is published by HanGame i think. Point being, we're behind the times here.

    I probably agree with most of the pros anyone can give me of this game,
    I really like the Bard and the Vampire classes! But, as much as this tries to be different: it's still the same {species} of game. The game is already outdated, though OB starts tomorrow. That is what kills it. This is maybe the best composed of it's type out there, and I think PWI is the best publisher/host of mmo f2p games we have in NA. Complain all you want, whatever. kids will. For whats out there I consider them the best organized and most professional. Which means, I trust they're organized to make things as seamless and organized a process as possible. I've tried out all the mmos from whatever company worth trying, so I hope i've seen the worst too xD

    And, after all that - I still will try to play - well, if I have the time and my Dragon Nest Fatigue bar is empty. If I can somehow get by or beyond the monotonous grind, look for Theophilus!
  • onanyzer
    onanyzer Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    TERA has been called the next generation MMO too and it is not,nor is FW,nor the review said it was, I dunno where you read that...
    From my personal experience of P2P and F2P MMOs, FW is ,no doubt a very good one.Somebody mentioned AIKA realm vs realm? Please how much did that last? Everybody hiding in PVE channels to grind to end game,and then quit because there was no real endgame.
    Another example,Prius,I've tried it on Taiwan servers and for the graphic it has it takes way too much resources,it's not a "cinematic MMO" at all and it took 3 years for it to hit the western market.
    I have nothing against a specific game publisher,these are just example that popped into my head.
    So much hate about this game on it's own forum makes me wonder about the community.If you don't like the game,you think it's dull,than seriously why are you here, lol? :eek:
  • athenafey
    athenafey Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    yudhistira wrote: »
    A little rough around the edges, but what he says is true. This is far from next gen of MMO's. Some neat new tricks, but it's basically the same {type} of game. I really liked some of the content, and the care taken with an attempt to paint a story in the imagination, and to give things visually a unique feel in each of the race scenarios; but on the current platform, at some point., while i was interacting with the npc's and field mobs, it suddenly dawned on me: broken down 80's 'Chuck E. Cheese' animatronic band. Theres a very lifeless and stiff element to what is a very pretty game. (but not THAT pretty)

    Anyway. Just an introduction: i'm a pretty casual gamer as it goes, because I work and have social responsibilities. In short: got a life. So' i've shopped around to different games over the last few years, to find the one best mmo that I can throw all my down time into. I've been able to try them all: one at a time, and jsut enough to get a feel for the game. They all pretty much suck, with a few exceptions. Out of everything that was there I was hooked on SMT Imagine published by Aeria. I was stuck on that game for a couple years, and eventually accomplished what most of you would call a few days/weeks work, an 8x character. yes, one. Anyway, now, essentially, {that game is junk!} {but!} there was {something} there, which I will touch on a little. I think you'll know what I mean.

    The worst thing for me, here in FW, is what everyone hates: the auto-running to endless field grinds. Nothing like playing with dozens of others on the same field.... auto grinding. Reminds me of the first f2p mmo I ever played, which was Rappelz, published by Gpotato. Weird name for a game hosting company. D: Even if I said hello, you wouldn't want to respond. Why should you? you're just going to get your 10 fishmen and run back to town for the next grind xD My main was a bard, so keeping a steady pattern of "notes" to make good time would only get annoying with so uninspiring a grind. This is a time when you just wish you could auto skills. But those of you who've had Sword of the New World know that just defeats the whole purpose. The only game I know that you can get to level 100 in without having to actually play it. When you've only got a couple hours to play, late at night often, it's the last thing you want to do.

    With only a limited amount of instance scenarios allowed a day, this grinding is painful. Maybe even Atlantica painful. More of the old school. This would be a million times more appealing to me if it was more instance focused instead: That means, parties, people, and the non-linear dynamics there. A great example of a junky game that was fun as hell for this reason: SMT: Imagine. If only they actually had real content updates, but the game revolves around the few dungeon runs, of 5 member parties. I never had to solo grind. Grind as we know it would have been eliminated had there been no need to train skills. But, that in itself served a greater purpose: it was like a trip to the gym. Plus, got to socialize and meet new people in almost every run, which is what makes an mmo so fun: the game is alive, not becuase the of the pretty animations, but becuase it's moved by people. The combat was also very group oriented. In fact, the best class build in that game is probably the "Enhancer" type. Here, in typical leveling and exploring all that is unnecessary. And I really go out of my way to try to talk to people. (yeah, you! xD) If I wanted that, i'd have shelled out cash for some well produced single player game. An mmo thats going to capture my attention for long (and my wallet) should have a very demanding social focus for game advancement. (but not in a creepy way: see weird teenagers having emotional drama over maplestory or something.)

    The instances in FW are ok. They're as good as they can get, and I like them much better than what Gpot's Aika had to offer. But, then again, the main focus there was the 1000 vs 1000 realm wars, and realm raids. This is a game which tries to cater to the most popular elements in mmos, and comes up with some exciting features: but does so on an out-dated platform. If this had come out when Aika did, I would have chosen this one, for sure. But, that was then...

    Which brings me to now. A game I've been waiting on for a while is Dragon Nest. I began playing the CN version, which is not published by Nexon, but by Shanda, which I hear recently purchased Eyedentity games, which is the publisher of Dragon Nest. I jumped in after trying out the FW cb, so i've been exploring it for about a week. Everything is instanced save the cities, and the combat is almost like a third person shooter, ( for those of you like me, who hate shooting games, its the best comparison I could come up with) which makes for fast-paced button-mashing combo-action! Anyway, it's so exciting they put a fatigue guage that prohibits you from playing too much v.v But, this is also an anti-grind system. The quests aren't shallow covers for grind-fest, becuase of the unique instances. One series of quests is leading some frightened or bold goblin children through a certain instance you may have played before, or searching for one in a barrel, or bush. The version i'm playing is in Mandarin, I think, but the voice acting is good, and i'm picking up some phrases by inflection. So, the side quests available have a more animated and unique quality that is more reminiscent of story driven single player rpgs you'd want to buy. This also makes a great solo play becuase of this. I think it's a got a great balance. It's got it's problems, too, probably: but the thing here is it's operating from a higher platform. The potential is much greater. through cut scenes and npc interactions they achieve in more efficient and artistic way, your imagination, in bringing you into the world and story. The elements which are very linear in FW and the old school are much more fluid and dynamic in the newer model of game, and raise the bar of whats expected.

    Thats the next generation of MMO's. Dragon Nest has been around in Korea for about 3 years, and in the last year or so has been released in Japan and China. Look at a lot of the exciting releases for later this year, and next year: the best ones will be more like this model. and I'm very interested in PWI's publishing 'Rusty Hearts' which looks very cool, more with the action orientation. I'm also very Interested in what I see of "Blade & Soul" which I hope is like a Soul Calibur fight-style MMO Rpg p= which is published by HanGame i think. Point being, we're behind the times here.

    I probably agree with most of the pros anyone can give me of this game,
    I really like the Bard and the Vampire classes! But, as much as this tries to be different: it's still the same {species} of game. The game is already outdated, though OB starts tomorrow. That is what kills it. This is maybe the best composed of it's type out there, and I think PWI is the best publisher/host of mmo f2p games we have in NA. Complain all you want, whatever. kids will. For whats out there I consider them the best organized and most professional. Which means, I trust they're organized to make things as seamless and organized a process as possible. I've tried out all the mmos from whatever company worth trying, so I hope i've seen the worst too xD

    And, after all that - I still will try to play - well, if I have the time and my Dragon Nest Fatigue bar is empty. If I can somehow get by or beyond the monotonous grind, look for Theophilus!

    So basically after reading all that...your promoting this game called dragon nest? isee.... O.o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mmorpgtactics
    mmorpgtactics Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    :rolleyes:
  • fr0stfang
    fr0stfang Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Was this an anticipation for 1st April? Or Is this a Trollbait. Because seriously, for someone who Is been sanely-aware of current PWE's situation, does -not- agree with this statement.

    Recycled content from previous games, outdated engine, lack of customization are one of the main factors to despise this game. Even a PC that was meant to overkill this game fails to do so (lulzsandybridgefailing).

    Thanks for the laughs anyway.

    +1 to that. If you never played more then 5 MMORPG's in your entire life...please, don't write reviews. It's embarrassing. And in case you haven't noticed... PW came out like 5 years ago. This barely looks any different. In fact, only skills do.

    And calling this next-gen is like committing heresy.
  • sashathegrey
    sashathegrey Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    fr0stfang wrote: »
    +1 to that. If you never played more then 5 MMORPG's in your entire life...please, don't write reviews. It's embarrassing. And in case you haven't noticed... PW came out like 5 years ago. This barely looks any different. In fact, only skills do.

    And calling this next-gen is like committing heresy.

    If you played more than 5 MMORPG`s in your life and still say that you sir are a dumbass.
    The review, if you read it which i doubt that, only tried to prove that for the amount of resources this game wants the graphics is pretty outstanding plus it is F2P. And i bet, like everyone else, you are waiting for TERA too. And if you played more than 5 MMO`s in your life you will see that they have scavenged skills and classes and almost everything from other games. Even play style or end game features. But still it is much appreciated by a lot of people and the graphics aint that shiny either. And i do want to see how you can make a fantasy based MMORPG without having some parts similar to the other million MMORPGs out there.
    So, i still think you just like to forum troll and amaze people with your dumbness, or you`re just another WOW player..
  • draguardia
    draguardia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Was this an anticipation for 1st April? Or Is this a Trollbait. Because seriously, for someone who Is been sanely-aware of current PWE's situation, does -not- agree with this statement.

    Recycled content from previous games, outdated engine, lack of customization are one of the main factors to despise this game. Even a PC that was meant to overkill this game fails to do so (lulzsandybridgefailing).

    Thanks for the laughs anyway.


    For someone who hates everything about this game you're sure to keep up with the topics. stop whining and go find something else if the game fails to meet you oh so high standards.
  • yudhistira
    yudhistira Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    athenafey wrote: »
    So basically after reading all that...your promoting this game called dragon nest? isee.... O.o

    Nope. I mentioned a few examples good and bad... what I'm saying is, it's a model for a superior f2p mmo platform. I like elements of this game, but those who are saying it's just a different version of Perfect world, are right.

    but, I look forward to Rusty Hearts. p=
  • onanyzer
    onanyzer Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    So, i still think you just like to forum troll and amaze people with your dumbness, or you`re just another WOW player..

    1st commandment of Forum posting:
    Though shall not feed the troll.
This discussion has been closed.