My thoughts on FW: A personal review

xselene
xselene Posts: 21 Arc User
edited March 2011 in General Discussion
Date of entry into FW: 2/23/2011

Date of review: 3/1/2011

Hiya, folks! This is my first time reviewing an MMO and posting it for everyone to read. Reviewing MMOs is something I do on the side as one of my hobbies, but it's not something I do often, since this is without a doubt the most time-consuming hobby I have.

So, generally, when I review an MMO, I break my review up into several categories, which are as follows:

-First Impression: Logging In
-Class + Race Variety
-Character Creation
-Graphics
-Sound
-Interface
-Questing System + PvE Gameplay
-Game Currency: In-Game + Cash Shop
-PvP Gameplay
-Crafting System + Job System
-Unique Features
-Overall Impression

Ah, and here's a heads-up: You're in for a HUGE wall-of-text. If you are someone with a short attention span, or easily get bored of reading, then I suggest that you avoid this thread. And remember, this review is purely my opinion. If you disagree with me, that's completely fine, but please be respectful of my thoughts, and don't bite my head off in a rage if you do happen to disagree with me. Thank you.

So, without further ado, here is my review of Forsaken World. Hope you guys enjoy it. By the way, I cheated and compiled this review in Wordpad. There's no way I could have typed all of this out on the forums, haha. Too lazy for that. :>

{xSelene's review of Forsaken World}

1. First Impression: Logging In

Upon starting up the game, I wasn't sure what to expect, really. I've seen some well-executed login screens, but I've also seen some poorly made ones as well, ones that make you want to dump the game the minute you fire it up.

I'm going to be honest here, and say that Forsaken World's log-in screen visuals, while entertaining and very impressive, could have been encoded better. Instead of turning the log-in's beautifully rendered perched griffin overlooking a castle into a poorly encoded video, the devs could have left it alone, because, and this is the first time I've said this about a PWE game, that video alone easily has some of the best graphics I've seen from any F2P game. If they decide to revert back to the original CGI video instead of the crappy You-tube like quality the video has now, doing so would automatically bring my score up to a 5.

Opening Visual Score: 3.5/5

The music, on the other hand, immediately grabs your attention, and practically screams at you "Look at me, play me, I'm fun!" It's a dramatic score, and almost sounds like a piece from a movie soundtrack. I've fired up the game countless times just to hear the opening music, and it's pretty easy to get this piece stuck in your head, too. I wish it was longer, actually.

Opening Musical Score: 5/5

2. Class + Race Variety

This is the current Forsaken World race/class lineup. They are:

Humans - Assassin, Mage, Priest, Warrior
Elves - Priest, Warrior, Bard
Dwarves - Marksman
Stoneman - Protector
Kindred - Assassin, Mage, Vampire

As you can see, Forsaken World actually has a great variety of races and classes. In this aspect, however, the Dwarves and the Stonemen are kind of left out, because they are currently the only races with only one playable class available to them. However, the devs are currently working on one new class apiece for the Dwarves and the Stonemen, so hopefully it won't be too long before we see these two new classes.

I was pleased to see that the classes Warrior and Bard were made available to Elves, since these two classes are usually not options for Elves in most MMOs. The Bard is a relatively rare class to see in MMOs - not that other games don't have Bards, but it's not a 'common' arch-type.

I'm also rather surprised by the lack of an Archer class, especially since there are NPC Archers present in the Elven starter area, but the Marksman class is a refreshing change of pace.

The Vampire is an interesting class, no doubt a result of the Twilight epidemic. This class is versatile, allowing you to spellcast, buff, or do minor healing, although don't expect that you'll be able to compete with Mages, Bards, or Priests, whose main jobs are to deal damage, support a party, and heal. With that being said, one phrase comes to mind, which I think sums up the Vampire's abilities quite well: "Jack of all trades, master of none."

Variety Score: 4/5

3. Character Creation

Ah, character creation. Designing a character is my favorite part of playing MMOs, because I get to indulge my creativity, and create a character that is as like me, or, as little like me, as possible. Or, better yet, on the rare occasion come across a powerful character customization system like PWI's, and have the ability to create characters with striking resemblances to friends, family, and even original characters.

Sadly, that is not the case with Forsaken World. Choices here are limited, with few options for hairstyles, few options for face styles with no ability to adjust them, no ability to change body type, and no ability to freely change eye color except through 'flairs', which are facial decorations. Only a handful of flairs can change your character's eye color, depending on the flair you pick, and I have to be blunt and say that I think the majority of them are pretty ugly.

There are a surprisingly good number of skin colors to choose from, with the inclusion of some strange skin colors like dark purple, sapphire blue, and mint green.

The only sliders available are for the hair dye system, which is the only part of the character creation process that you have any real control over. With the sliders, you can give your character any hair color imaginable.

There is the 'randomize' button, which yields some crazy results, but all in all, don't be surprised if you run into a clone of yourself, with perhaps a different hair or skin color.

Overall, while the customization options are limited and, to myself, disappointing, you should be able to create a fairly unique-looking character.

I really do hope that the devs at PWE plan on creating a far more in-depth character creation system for FW as a future patch, and something similar to, if not better than PWI's character creation system, would certainly do the trick.

Suggestion for this area: PWI's amazing character customization system, Forsaken World style. Need I say more?

Character Creation Score: 3/5

4. Graphics

Forsaken World's graphics are great in some areas, and a mess in others. While weapons, skill effects, the opening screen, and water effects all are very well-rendered and look fantastic, the NPC character models, player character models, character faces (particularly in the eye department), armor textures, mob models, mounts, pets, and surroundings look like last-minute additions in comparison. I wish that the same amount of care and detail had been put into the whole game as in the opening screen, but I highly doubt that a graphics upgrade for FW will ever come.

Some areas that show lack of attention to detail:

For some races, characters don't blink when you go afk. It's rather creepy in my opinion, and shows definite laziness.

What's up with the human female's arms? They look....weirdly shaped, for lack of a better word.

The Stonemen don't look like stone at all - they look more like plastic.

The animations for most emotes, especially ones that involve a lot of movement like dancing, are very, very rough.

Armor textures, while they look decent from a distance, are pixellated messes upon close inspection. (But then again, I haven't played many 3D F2P MMOs where this wasn't an issue.)

Suggestion for this area: Fix the major kinks in the severely outdated Angelica engine, fix the emote animations to make them smoother, make characters blink, and upgrade the graphics to at least DX10.5. Do this, and I'll instantly take back every bad thing I've ever said about FW's graphics. These fixes probably won't ever happen, but hey, a girl can dream, right?

Graphical Score: 2/5

5. Sound

Based upon my thoughts of the opening track, I was hoping to be just as impressed with the in-game musical score. Sadly, that is not true. Most of the in-game music tracks are boring and repetitive, and can almost put one to sleep. Especially if you're auto-pathing. Are we there yet? No? Zzzzz....

Musical Score: 2/5

Class skills, on the other hand, have some really neat sound effects, and it really seems like a lot of effort went into this particular area, so I applaud the devs for this. My personal favorites are the Bard's and the Marksman's skill sounds, because I love how musical the Bard's skills sound, and the Marksman's because, well, I can't remember the last RPG I played where the guns sounded so realistic....FPS games aside, since that's to be expected in those type of MMOs, of course.

Skill Sound Score: 5/5

As far as ambiance sounds go, I find that this area in particular is severely lacking. Characters make no noise when running on the ground, jumping into water, swimming, getting hit by an enemy, or even sitting down and eating. It's almost like the character isn't even there - more like they're a colorful ghost on the screen. I also miss the noises made by pets and mounts, since those are absent as well.

I do hope the devs plan on adding these sounds, since it's little touches like these missing sounds that make the game all the more immersible, at least from my viewpoint.

Suggestion for this area: Add those missing sounds!

Ambiance Sound Score: 1/5

6. Interface

Visually, Forsaken World's interface is, in a word, cluttered. Bits of the interface are literally strewn about the screen, and the end result is something that I'm not particularly fond of. Since the option to move parts of the interface around is non-existent aside from the side skill bar, the interface can be, at times, annoying to deal with. For example, I really wish that the EXP bar was part of your character's profile, instead of being thrown down to the bottom of the screen, where it isn't readily noticeable since it blends in with the interface bar too much, especially with the color the devs chose to indicate how much EXP a character currently has.

Suggestion for this area: Give users the ability to move individual parts of the interface around, and either move the EXP bar so that it's part of the character profile, or change the color used to indicate how much EXP a character currently has, so that it is more readily noticeable, i.e neon green, bright red, bright orange, or another color that quickly draws the user's eyes to the EXP bar.

Interface Layout Score: 2/5

Although the interface isn't visually appealing or simplistic, when it comes to ease of use Forsaken World's interface is actually very user-friendly. The majority of the interface's functions are located at the right-hand top of the screen, with decently-sized icons used to indicate a certain function. It's pretty straightforward in this aspect. My only minor gripe in this area is that the button to change channels, or 'realms' in FW, isn't easy to find, since the button is attached to the minimap, and blends in with it.

Interface User-Friendliness Score: 4/5

7. Questing System + PvE Gameplay

[A warning: I tend to be harsh when reviewing PvE gameplay in MMOs, since gameplay is something that can make or break an MMO, and if a game's quest system + general PvE gameplay system fail to please me, I won't sugarcoat that.]

When I read that the devs were working to make the game with a world-wide playerbase in mind, I was very pleased, and my expectations of a quest-filled, grind-free F2P game came to be for FW. Needless to say, I was very excited about this game's release, happy about playing a game where everyone's ideas were heard, not just by the overseas players in China, but by the NA audiences as well.

So, I created characters with the hopes of being swamped by lots of different quests with decent rewards throughout the game for all characters in my head, since I love questing. Don't ask me why, I just do. So, I experimented by playing with two characters of different races and classes to see if some quests differ, and they do, which is nice, but I can honestly say that this game's questing system is in need of some serious work.

Not only are quests in general sparse and side quests hard to find after the initial beginning, even with auto-pathing, and at low levels as well, which is severely disappointing, but the rewards they give in terms of EXP and game currency are really poor. This is where I really miss PWI's quest-finding feature, as it would make finding quests of any type, main, sides, dailies, etc., much, much, easier.

I mean, really, even at level 10, running around to find only one quest available with the reward being not even one full EXP bar is absurd. Questing should be fun and rewarding, not a let-down.

Don't get me wrong, I still have high hopes for this game, since I believe it has so much potential, but having a poor questing system is not a good way to start things off with.

Suggestion for this area: Implement PWI's quest-finding feature, add a ton quests, separated by three categories: Race, Class, and Level, with better rewards in terms of EXP and game currency with unique objectives, for all races, classes, and level ranges. Like I said, I do love questing, which is why I was so very let down in this area.

Questing System Score: 2/5

PvE gameplay is also generally disappointing, since there is nothing unique, nor exciting about it. Target a single mob, press buttons 1,2,3, kill said single target, perhaps aggro a nearby mob. Wash, rinse, repeat. Non-instanced mobs act the same as they do in most other MMOs - that is to say, they're as dumb as bricks, and present little challenge. While there are a few unique instances that actually require some beforehand strategy planning, as they can be difficult to beat if you aren't careful and don't come fully prepared, the PvE in this game is not as fun as videos make it out to be.

My first suggestion for this area is to re-create the mobs of all level ranges, but with unique AI systems for each seperate mob, so that players aren't mindlessly spamming skills. This way, they actually have to do some thinking before they seek out any mob. I think this would add a twist to an otherwise bland PvE experience.

My second suggestion is to implement a target-free attacking system, where instead of having to target a single mob before being able to attack, players can attack a group of a particular mob, and the damage would be spread out over that group. The original single-mob targeting system shouldn't be completely dumped, however, as players may find the original system useful for targeting instanced mobs, non-instanced mobs known to drop rare items, or concentrating on healing the tanker or a specific party member while in an instance.

PvE Gameplay Score: 2/5

8. Currency: In-Game + Cash Shop

Ah, currency. It's a necessary evil, but an evil nonetheless. Forsaken World uses a rather confusing multi-currency system, and there's not just one of them, but two of them. Hello, instant headache. Apparently, Gold is the game's main currency system, and is trade-able. There are 4 levels of Gold, with Diamonds being worth the most, and Copper being worth the least. There's a second system, called Soul Gold, which is bound to your character, not trade-able and comprises of the same levels.

Sounds simple enough, right? Well, where it gets confusing is that one type of gold is used to buy certain items, while the other type is used to buy other certain items, and you won't know which type of gold you'll need until you go to buy a specific item. While this system was implemented to fight off gold sellers, which I praise the PWE team for, I feel that it is unnecessary. Why? Not only does it get frustrating quickly, but it also makes it difficult to fund a character.

Suggestion for this area: To reduce confusion between the two types of currency, the trade-able currency should be kept as the multi-level currency, to limit the number of possible gold sellers. The character-bound currency, however, should be only one single currency, differently colored and named from the trade-able Gold, so that it is easy to tell the two apart.

In-Game Currency: 2/5

Forsaken World's Cash Shop currency, known as the Leaf, is pretty straightforward and easy to use. Currently, the conversion rate is $1 = 40 leaves. Prices are okay for the most part, but this cash shop is not without its share of ridiculously priced items, which are the higher-level mounts, and special pets. In terms of fairness, Forsaken World's CS is not extremely imbalanced at this point in time, as most of the smaller non-fashion items are obtainable in-game, and I hope that it stays that way. I absolutely do not want to see this game turn into another PWI in this area. 80 dollar mounts? Absolutely not.

Cash Shop Currency: 4/5

9. PvP Gameplay
[Note: This section currently only covers 1v1 PvP, as I haven't had a chance to try out the mass PvP features. Server wars and guild PvP should be a blast, however.]

Generally, I avoid PvP-based servers if the option is given to me, as nothing irks me more than being PK'd by some idiot while minding my own business. But, nevertheless, I always give any game's PvP system a shot, since I'm not opposed to PvP by invitation.

Forsaken World's 1v1 is rather interesting, as it is very fast-paced and encourages players to actually keep moving around, something I've seen few MMOs do. Some matches also use a 'Soul' system, in which your opponent will drop pieces of their soul, literally. The more pieces you collect, you the more powerful you get. Once you collect enough pieces, you become so powerful that you can smash anything in your way. It's really something to see, although I haven't been able to collect enough orbs to try it out for myself yet.

1v1 PvP Gameplay: 4/5

10. Crafting System + Job System
[I'm leaving this section blank until the OBT begins. Why? Well, I generally lack free time, and I've been so busy looking for bugs to report that I forgot to test the crafting and job systems. Haha. So, once the OBT begins I'll make sure to test these systems, then review them. -brick'd-]

Crafting System Score: ?/5

Job System Score: ?/5

11.Unique Features
[Note: FW has a TON of different features, so I'll only be reviewing the couple that I've been able to try firsthand.]

Every MMO tries to make an attempt to stand from other games, and Forsaken World is no exception. There are some really unique ideas in this game that I can honestly say I've never encountered before, like the Prayer system. Hooray for extra EXP! I like that you can choose a birthdate for your character after customizing their appearance, as I find that extra personal touch enjoyable.

Also, it apparently affects the 'luckiness' of Prayers, as every Zodiac sign has two other signs that are tied to them, and when a character is under a 'lucky' sign, the chance to be rewarded with items from the Gods increases. Even though the first 4 daily Prayers are the only ones that will reward players with EXP, I really like this system, as I feel that it tunes myself into Eyrda's lore more deeply than by just reading the Encyclopedia. But then again, I'm a sucker for mythology of any type, hence my forum name, so that just might be my bias peeking through.

Prayer System Score: 5/5

Another unique feature of FW is that pets can actually have varied stats, based on the hatching time for that pet. According to the game, the longer you let a pet hatch for, the better your chance of getting a pet with increased stats. So, I tested this out for myself by getting two of the Ramsey pet on my Bard, Sorane.(Currently being deleted. I messed up on her build badly.) I let the first Ramsey hatch for only 5 minutes, and put it in the first pet slot. On the second Ramsey, I let it hatch for 8 minutes, and put it in the second pet slot. Sure enough, upon comparison, the second Ramsey had better growth rates, and a Darkness attribute that the first Ramsey did not.
Whether this is random or not, I have no idea, but it's different.

Pet Growth System: 4/5

Overall Impression:

Initially, I was very excited to play this game. Now, that excitement has vanished into thin air as the poor engine optimization that this game suffers from amongst other things has hindered my enjoyment of it significantly, even while looking for bugs. I highly doubt that the devs will fix the engine, or update it, anytime soon. I also will not update my CPU just so I can play Forsaken World smoothly. As it currently stands, with its poor questing system, less-than-spectacular overall graphics, and bland gameplay, I feel that this game, while it looks fun and well-polished on the surface, is not worth my time right now, especially when I can't play it without FPS problems. Even with a fairly decent 2.8 GHZ quad-core processor.

Overall, I am extremely disappointed, and perhaps I was setting myself up for displeasure by having such high expectations for this game. But, who knows? Maybe I'll be proven wrong by the devs, and the issues I mentioned above will get fixed.

So with this, I wrap up my review of Forsaken World. While I will not be playing, I plan to keep a close eye on this game, as I do think that this game has the potential to become a fantastic MMO in the future.

For those of you who do intend to continue playing, I wish you all the best.

Good luck in Eyrda!
Post edited by xselene on
I quit, but I lurk.

Comments

• trevtimusprime
    trevtimusprime Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    All of these are very reasonable and logical complaints.

OP is not a fagot
    CB-Phase 1-4
    I am Snorlax and I will block your path.

DestroyTokyo- Voted best WereBeast on PWI Lost City server <3
  • zyaph
    zyaph Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Great post :3
    I just have something to add:

"This is where I really miss PWI's quest-finding feature, as it would make finding quests of any type, main, sides, dailies, etc., much, much, easier."

There actually is a quest finding system. Just press Q, then click "find quests" and it shows a list of quests you can d at your level. Also, pressing U and clicking "Available" will also show this list. And i do agree that some quests give too little exp :/
    Also:

"My only minor gripe in this area is that the button to change channels, or 'realms' in FW, isn't easy to find, since the button is attached to the minimap, and blends in with it."

I didn't even know there was a button to change realms o-o I tried looking and couldn't find it.. Could you maybe point out where it is? x3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Race: Elf
    Class: Bard
    Guild: Phoenix

[Check out the "Phoenix" guild thread]
  • jakegold
    jakegold Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Ok, im a little confused by a few things..... first of all these people complaining about "optimization" the game runs like a dream on my pc... also the graphics are outstanding, not sure what your used to, played FF14 before this? lmao a 2/10 is rediculous and so's your review. 1/10
  • nethapus
    nethapus Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Good points =], I agree with the most about the duo currency. It's too confusing imo. Also it discourages player and player trading due to how hard it is to get real coins, imo. Also, the mounts is 800 leaves which is 20$ I think not 80$.
  • hjsimp
    hjsimp Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    xselene wrote: »
    Date of entry into FW: 2/23/2011

Date of review: 3/1/2011
    Good luck in Eyrda!

Not a bad review. Though the game performs fine for my 5 year old system with all options turned on.
    zyaph wrote: »
    Great post :3
    I just have something to add:

There actually is a quest finding system. Just press Q, then click "find quests" and it shows a list of quests you can d at your level. Also, pressing U and clicking "Available" will also show this list. And i do agree that some quests give too little exp :/

I didn't even know there was a button to change realms o-o I tried looking and couldn't find it.. Could you maybe point out where it is? x3

But the find quest system in PWI is more refined. It's categorized by type and color coded by rewards. The quest finder in FW is entirely orange and the sort by column doesn't work properly.

I couldn't find the realm changer either. The bottom button changes minimap scale, not realm number.
    nethapus wrote: »
    Good points =], I agree with the most about the duo currency. It's too confusing imo. Also it discourages player and player trading due to how hard it is to get real coins, imo. Also, the mounts is 800 leaves which is 20$ I think not 80$.

She's talking about the 80 dollar mounts in PWI, not FW.

To Add:
    The game is a good effort from PWE. There are many improvements over their past games. Only time will tell if the shortfalls are addressed to keep the game interesting.

I find the English translation in FW to be far superior to other PWE games include PWI, BOI, and HoTK. Sure, there are still spelling and grammar mistakes aplenty, missing quest dialogues, and many of the word choices seem juvenile, but the sheer amount of text that they got right is a wonderful step in the right direction. If PWI and HoTK storylines got the same care to translation, they would probably have better immersion than FW. Too bad, not many PWI veterans or caffeine kiddies care much about story these days. I've found myself clicking through PWI-style without reading much at times.

Wish List:
    One continuous map instead of sections... probably too much to ask...
    Able to see who you are randomly assigned with before clicking that "Ok" button
    A skill tree in game describing what's on the menu for your toon
    More quests or raise quest rewards
    Flying...
    A way to unbind items
    A way to transfer gear refinements
    Shared storage for all toons on the same account
  • dare2try2killme
    dare2try2killme Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    a fairly decent review... although I am actually HAPPY the character customization is a bit more limited because it cuts down on lag in-game. Also, the game runs fine on my computer which isn't all that great, only option i had to turn down was water quality by 1 notch.... and now I'm at 30+ fps except when in cities during most populated hours.
  • fenrina
    fenrina Posts: 336
    edited March 2011
    I wasn't even aware there was a way to realm hop without logging out. Not like it matters though, the game will realm hop someone for instances and the like. There's rarely a reason to switch unless one is looking for player shops, resources or to get out of a player-heavy realm.
    jakegold wrote: »
    first of all these people complaining about "optimization" the game runs like a dream on my pc

I have fps issues in freedom harbor at high settings. Even if I temp-reduce it to low, I still sometimes have graphics lag... The rest of the areas are alot better, but it's far from perfect.
  • sozu2121
    sozu2121 Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    What I would really like in terms of the UI is an option to scale its size. Playing at 1920x1200 makes the UI so damn tiny I have to lean forward to see my hp/mp values, quest dialogue, etc.. :(
    "Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light."
    -Groucho Marx
  • francischutney
    francischutney Posts: 630 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Wow this is such a good review. I agree with everything. I hope the developers would actually read it and fix things in the game.

Here's some things I think should be fixed.

There shouldn't be the little blue text on the log in screen, it makes it looks cheap.

When the window is minimized, the sounds should turn off too, or have an option to choose to turn off sounds when window is minimized.

In character creation, there should be a preview portrait picture. I select a nice looking hair, then see that the portrait picture in game is hideous.
    There should be one of those pop up color wheels for selecting hair color, not a slider, I can't get the right color, I just want a natural looking brown but I keep getting gray or a bright color.

A way to know how much EXP you need till next level. There's no EXP Bar.

There should be a way to send messages to offline friends.

Option for further draw distance, I hate that weird foggy look.

Less confusing map.

When you hover your mouse over the quest list on the side, sometimes it flashes open and closed.

It shouldn't take so long to get on a mount.

More inventory space.

Pets should be able to swim underwater, not walk on the floor.

Sounds should be muffled when underwater.

If you mute the SFX and Music in game settings, then log off, then log back in later with the sounds still muted.
    When you unmute the sounds, the sounds won't come back on till you relog back in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ~I very much enjoy this lovely game and wonderful people here~
  • jackyo
    jackyo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Actually thought u made some sense... then I read the following
    U cant notice the line that is on the bottom of your screen?
    and it keeps filling up when u finish a quest......
    and if u put your mouse over it u see exact numbers ...... i don't even

Game settings -> Max distance -> ??? ->PROFIT
    Have you ever Danced with a Devil in the pale moonlight ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~Human / Demon Warrior~
    ~CB Phase 1 Tester~
    Dungeon design contest Phase one Winner
  • sesheenku
    sesheenku Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    @ OP You'd find this is often the case with the 3D mmo's of PW great classes and what not, enjoyable graphics but disappointing character models and boring enemies.

The classes are what keep you playing imo, everything else seems rather lackluster. I'd say the music is great but I've hard far better so I can no longer say that honestly.

Best part is if you leave they'll prolly get you to come back for a while when they pop out a new class. That's probably just me though.
    [SIGPIC]http://fw-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=15047437000&dateline=1290559725[/SIGPIC]
    Made by me ;D

-> I'm no longer in that guild but I'm a bit lazy to change my sig which I made anyways.
  • azhdeen
    azhdeen Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Wow this is such a good review. I agree with everything. I hope the developers would actually read it and fix things in the game.

Here's some things I think should be fixed.

There shouldn't be the little blue text on the log in screen, it makes it looks cheap.
    eh?
    When the window is minimized, the sounds should turn off too, or have an option to choose to turn off sounds when window is minimized.
    ya i thought that was odd too after playing PWI for so long....... what, did they forget? I dont' like hearing *clang clang clang* when i'm tabbed out doing other stuff either lol
    In character creation, there should be a preview portrait picture. I select a nice looking hair, then see that the portrait picture in game is hideous.
    There should be one of those pop up color wheels for selecting hair color, not a slider, I can't get the right color, I just want a natural looking brown but I keep getting gray or a bright color.
    preview portrait? the customize menu's GIANT HEAD wasnt' enough? and why do you need color wheels???? there's a color BOX, pick something close then nudge the sliders a bit more if u have to.

look at the post a couple posts above mine... i..... just... damn all the people i've seen that cant' find the exp bar must be blind. My friend and i saw it at lvl 1... roflmao
    There should be a way to send messages to offline friends.
    I don't know if it works, but if it's like PWI, right click your friend's name in the friend list, hit "chat", send a message with that. I dont' know if it'll work but on PWI u send anyone on your list a message from THAT chat option, it pops up when they log on.

what foggy look?? o wait I have everythign on max
    Less confusing map.
    what's so confusing about the actual map? Took me a bit to remember which npc's were where (if i even HAD to know), but the map itself is pretty simple......
    When you hover your mouse over the quest list on the side, sometimes it flashes open and closed.ya..... that's the point, a quicker way to read whichever quest, or to click the GREEEN LINK to auto path.

It shouldn't take so long to get on a mount.
    what 3 seconds?
    More inventory space.
    96 or 99 slots isnt' enough for you? Least i think that's what this other player said the max is. Although it start taking more then one bag to max it more..

Pets should be able to swim underwater, not walk on the floor.
    LOL this is funny actually but ya.. it's stupid. This just shows how LAZY these devs are sometimes...
    Sounds should be muffled when underwater.
    So, when you're underwater in RL you go deaf?

If you mute the SFX and Music in game settings, then log off, then log back in later with the sounds still muted.
    When you unmute the sounds, the sounds won't come back on till you relog back in.

/10char...
  • sesheenku
    edited March 2011
    azhdeen wrote: »
    /10char...

Yeah.. exp isn't that hard.

@Francis Also if you noticed if you go out to a mountainous or foresty area the things that are farther away appear to have fog overlaying them. Go outside once in a while >.> or at least google a pic of such a clearing or take a painting class >.>

At full distance settings it looks pretty natural if you're playing with your distance at a low level of course it looks awkward
    [SIGPIC]http://fw-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=15047437000&dateline=1290559725[/SIGPIC]
    Made by me ;D

-> I'm no longer in that guild but I'm a bit lazy to change my sig which I made anyways.
  • xxxdrackosxxx
    xxxdrackosxxx Posts: 410 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Excellent review of the game.
    Honestly, it's the same reasons that made me quit Forsaken World for now.
    So, like you, I am waiting until OBT to see how the game will evolve.
    If nothing changes then like you I won't come back to FW even if they release new classes.
    But I really hope that the devs will read our feedback .

To resume all this :
    1-Angelica engine is too old and has to be changed, including anti-aliasing and multi-core support.
    2-Quests should give more exp/gear to players.
    3-Events should be optional, not obligatory to level up fast.
    4-More character customization.
    5-More PvE content .

• devonty
    devonty Posts: 0
    edited March 2011
    jakegold wrote: »
    also the graphics are outstanding, not sure what your used to, played FF14 before this?

Outstanding? I have to ask what are YOU used to? ps1? gameboy?

Graphics in this game are horrible and they know they are horrible so they made everything have way to much colour to try to hide it
  • hidden30
    hidden30 Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    This is a great and thorough review ^_^.
    One small thing I noticed that can be a hassle is that the character's ability to jump is very limited. It's hard or impossible to jump onto small hills or over railings in the town. When I was in the instance Emperor's Canyon, I tried jumping over a short crevasse, and ended up getting stuck in it. After having to relog, travel back to the area, and dying a couple more times, I was able to get back to my group (thanks for those who partied with me for being so patient <3 ). If the character was able to jump even twice the length that it does now, that would not have happend. It would be great if the FW characters could jump like those in PWI.
    "Peace is not a relationship of nations. It is a condition of mind brought about by a serenity of soul. Peace is not merely the absence of war. It is also a state of mind. Lasting peace can come only to peaceful people."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru
  • octarone
    octarone Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    devonty wrote: »
    Outstanding? I have to ask what are YOU used to? ps1? gameboy?

Graphics in this game are horrible and they know they are horrible so they made everything have way to much colour to try to hide it
    It does have good visual effects, though. On par with top of the line MMOs when it comes to them.
  • cchenchencc
    cchenchencc Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Lol I think you should know that the graphics in the video at the login screen is pre-rendered. If it were to be as good in the game then PWE may as well say good bye to half the player base cause they'll be playing at 5 FPS.
  • xelian86
    xelian86 Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    An ok review, a lot of good points were made, and some weren't so good, due to lack of knowledge I would suspect.

Some minor quests give awful exp, but the main quest line and major side quests give a lot of exp. The Life in Freedom Harbour quest at henry will level you from 10 to 16 in those 10 short little errands, and gain you a decent amount of soul silver. The quest system is convoluted though, and you're not going to know whether a quest is worthwhile without actually doing it. Sure you can check how much exp/money and what items a quest will give you, but maybe the next part of the quest chain will be more rewarding, but you wont know that until completing the first part.

Soul Cash is hard to get, as most of it comes from questing, most of the time you get very little, apart from some major side quest chains, henry quest and the main quest line. Monsters give little in the way of money from drops.

I agree with most of your other points.

Main things I think need addressing are :

Make money easier to get, without having to sift through the chaff quests to find the wheat ones.

Increased Energy and Vigor regeneration, as it's way to slow for casual players, and end game will be way too slow for everyone, without cash shop items (im sure theyll add some in soon)

Make masteries and resistances matter - as of now they do very little, if anything.

Make UI scale while using higher resolutions, tiny text reading is a pain..

Option to sit without the need of using food - strangely whilst sitting after you have finished eating or drinking, your regeneration rate is increased over the normal standing rate, although 6hp and 6mp per second still isnt much.

Damage scaling needs to be changed, higher level weapons need to do more damage, and higher level armour needs to mitigate more damage. Swapping from a lvl 10 weapon to a lvl 20 weapon has almost no effect on damage output. Buffs which add at the most 30 def adds nothing, and will be useless after level 30 or so.

Class balancing, although has been said many times, still needs sorting. Warrior, which is said is overpowered really isnt, other classes need buffing in some way.

Lots of skills/talents need reworking as they offer little or no use. Most buffs need to change to a percentage so they scale better with level, 30 pdef from a buff at level 80 will be useless.

Spells damage comes mostly from the static spell damage, which will be sorely mitigated at later levels, attack power needs to make more of a difference in determining a spells power.

I could go on, but i'll leave it at that.

There are alot of things wrong with this game, that if fixed could make a fantastic F2P MMO. I'll hold out some hope that some of these issues will be addressed at some point, and that this becomes a good game at some point.

Good Read
  • darkmarauder
    darkmarauder Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    xelian86 wrote: »
    Make masteries and resistances matter - as of now they do very little, if anything.

Theres a lotta things i could comment on in this thread, but wont. But the above. . .trust me mastery/resistance is a huge factor, overall people can get well over 400 mastery, which adds huge amounts of damage, and its the same for resistance.

@the OP
    I agree with a lot of what youve said, however i think you shouldhv played the game more before doing a review like this, or done some additional research. I saw a lot of errors within it to do with how the gameplay works and such, which a more experienced player wouldnt have made. Also your reviewing the game before you even have access to the nicer parts of the world map, or before youve seen the higher level dungeons, or really played the game much at all tbh. . .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CN Talent Calculator, with lvl 70-80 Talents: shenmo.178.com/tools/tfmnq/
  • xelian86
    edited March 2011
    You have a point, my main concern is, the paltry amount of mastery from buffs, passives and as you level up is negligible, ergo, unnoticeable. I'm sure mastery at 400 will have some effect, but when you're getting like 10 or 20 from somewhere, that's when you don't notice. Should have made it more clear when I typed it out, but it was like 4am, and I was tired.

I agree with your points about the lack of experience of the reviewer, at least the enthusiasm is there, which is endearing.
  • gustavomesquita
    gustavomesquita Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Welcome to (Every MMO out there), son.
    [Add smth cool here]
  • rassav
    rassav Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    @xelian
    Make UI scale while using higher resolutions, tiny text reading is a pain..

No ty! Point of running the game in high res (I use 1920X1080) is to have more room for the game itself and less space on the screen occupied by the UI - with user interface scaling its no point of using resolution above 1280x800 - or similar low resolution! (and BTW I have very poor vision - shortsightedness)

@OP

Game doesn't require good hardware (because there is no good anisotropic filtering in the game) - I have dual core with ATI 4650 gfx and only 3Gb ram, and I use 1920x1080 resolution.
  • dcodes
    dcodes Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    hey hey hey my opinion matters too , a personal review :

OP 1/5 : generic writeup about generic game

rest of thread 3/5 : not so bad but still people that actually read that wall of text

**** I rate this thread with whooping 2/10 for effort.

lol jk its terrible
  • th30ry
    th30ry Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Theres no realm changer on the minimap, your trippin boo
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xelian86
    edited March 2011
    rassav wrote: »
    @xelian

No ty! Point of running the game in high res (I use 1920X1080) is to have more room for the game itself and less space on the screen occupied by the UI - with user interface scaling its no point of using resolution above 1280x800 - or similar low resolution! (and BTW I have very poor vision - shortsightedness)

Thats fair enough but having at least the option to use a larger UI should be there when playing on 1080p or higher, it doesnt have to be huge and take up the screen, but at least the quest text and on screen text should be adjustable, like the chat font, of course most people dont read it and spam the next button, but sometimes you need to read what you have to do..
  • devonty
    devonty Posts: 0
    edited March 2011
    octarone wrote: »
    It does have good visual effects, though. On par with top of the line MMOs when it comes to them.

Yeah the effects are good but the model's and backgrounds not so much
  • neoyoshi
    neoyoshi Posts: 380 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I wonder what it would be like if MikeB from ZAM made a BFF episode for Forsaken World.

Although this was an interesting personal analysis, i can't help but see the tragedy in the fact we still have to rely on normal players to write reviews and not legitimate gaming communities like IGN or ZAM.

• sesheenku
    edited March 2011
    neoyoshi wrote: »
    I wonder what it would be like if MikeB from ZAM made a BFF episode for Forsaken World.

Although this was an interesting personal analysis, i can't help but see the tragedy in the fact we still have to rely on normal players to write reviews and not legitimate gaming communities like IGN or ZAM.

A review is a review, even the "professionals" make some outrageous and seemingly biased reviews.

This games got a lot to work on either way and they definitely need to toss or seriously boost the dino age engine.

Personally I find that user reviews for games seem to hit closer to what I think then the pro's. Probably because unlike IGN reviewers I'm only 17 and due to that my gaming taste differs greatly.

What matters in a review is how much you agree with it because reviews are made to help you make the decision to play or not. The writers only affect on the review is due to their bias and experiences.

Although I see your point in my opinion the only thing a "pro" review will do is retell the story in a different way which isn't bad but only works to suit the people who would think similarly.

IGN is far too busy with XBOX after all on which they seem to prefer over the rest. That's all just my view though.
    Made by me ;D

• drakovongola1
    drakovongola1 Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    neoyoshi wrote: »

IGN wouldn't review it good anyway, unless of course PWE paid them for a good one >_>
    Don't use huge images in your signature.
    ^Well at least I can say Crab helped me with my sig, lol
    IGN: DrakoVongola(Vamp) and DrakoVongole(Priest)
    PvP Server
This discussion has been closed.