Customization: PWI Clone

zeromagus
zeromagus Posts: 11 Arc User
edited March 2011 in Suggestion Box
Please clone PWI's character creator.

PWI's Character creator is one of it's greatest assets.

It makes the game & each character unique. "Adding lasting value to each player"

The character creator alone was enough to turn me off toward the game.

Aside from that & a few minor glitches the game rocks so far.

* My impression of Forsaken World so far:
I feel that the devs have done a great job on adding & implementing user idea's that would improve on perfect world for this game.
But it also seems that PWI's best assets are being left out.
Mainly in the Customization department: Character creator & UI customization.

"A improvement on PWI's Char Creator would be preferred or at least a clone of the PWI customization....anything less would be detrimental."
Post edited by zeromagus on

Comments

• chaoticshelly
    chaoticshelly Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    The reason that FW doesn't have the same constumization lays in the fact that its a PWI unique feature and that with this much data on the server, there will be a lot of lag for players to deal with.

So I don't see this ever happening.
  • zeromagus
    edited February 2011
    :confused:

Can you be a lil more specific as to why it was not done, not that it can't be done.
    Having a degree in game design,just me as a consumer & being a long time gamer, that response causes much confusion for me,lol.

I can maybe see it if it's a server & file size issue, with the amount of advancements over PWI & Content.

"I don't know what they are working with". :)

What I can't see from a design stand point is downgrading, when all the televised & internet critic's/Reviewers & the major populous of PWE fans refer to the games best feature as the character creator. ("aside from the PvP responses :D")

Character scaling & Skin,hair,eye & misc detail coloration is hardly a unique feature to a game unless its revolutionary. ("coincidentally it was when PWI came out for MMO's lol")

I'm not trying to sound like a know it all or anything. I only recently acquired my BS in game design & have learned how to do & got pretty good at doing the job of all the diff talents & processes in the game creation pipeline.
    unfortunately all my experience has been on local machine & nothing server based.

I just can't help but see this as a death blow to the "long-term" life & success of FW.:eek:
  • octarone
    octarone Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    I agree with you and you make sense, but I think there's some legal issues involved with the licensing of that. (in effect, the char creation engine isn't wanmei's property)
  • bunnypirates
    bunnypirates Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    This isn't PWI... 'nuff said.

And if you have seen the threads where people complain how laggy high quality settings are, I'm sure you will understand why people don't want any extra lag caused by extra hairstyles and nose shapes in their game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

*CB1 player, herp-a-derp.*
    forsakenworldart.deviantart.comJOIN
    Retired; playing a game called life. O:
  • saiaeal
    saiaeal Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    I actually agree that there should be a bit more character customization, even if it's not at the level of PWI. Right now there are limited character options, and then all the armor looks the same for everyone in a certain level range.
    I don't believe that there is a "can't be done", but there may be a "can't be done to a certain extent". As for quality or legal issues, it's definitely not something that can;t be worked out or worked around.

It makes the world feel "shallow" when you're standing next to a player who's character looks exactly like you (ie the same weapon, armor, hairstyle) except in a slightly different color. It's like rainbow clones! D:
  • sairabell
    sairabell Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    I agree, compared to other pw games, the characte customization seems kinda lazy. I LOVE pwi's character custi. Its one of the reasons i keep playing the game. IT doesn't matter if its not pwi, its still a damn good feature they should integrate into this game. xP [/b]
  • darkmarauder
    darkmarauder Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    octarone wrote: »
    I agree with you and you make sense, but I think there's some legal issues involved with the licensing of that. (in effect, the char creation engine isn't wanmei's property)

^Thats the main reason they dont put so much into character creation IMO, pretty sure they pay royalties on the character engine in PWI.
    And the other main reason being the lag, the more hair/body changes available the larger the server lag is.

One thing i think they should have customisable though, is the eye color. Even if its was just a group of 10 different standard colors or something. I hate how the classes i want to play have blue eyes. . and i absolutely hate blue eyes >.<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CN Talent Calculator, with lvl 70-80 Talents: shenmo.178.com/tools/tfmnq/
  • xephona
    xephona Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    PWE was sued for stealing that character creator. It will never be used again.
    fw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=76401
  • zeromagus
    edited February 2011
    Yall missed what i said. I said clone not transplant. "Major Diff"

If they make there own that does the same things, they cannot get sued for it. *it is theirs.*
    which makes the legal issues & responses N/A

of course this is not PWI, but common practice is to make something better than what you previously had.

Lag is always an issue on any game regardless of customization.
    as seen with PWI, the customizations can be toggled, which reduces the lag to what the game is like had the game not been made with the customizations. "Now Dubbed: FW Mode"
  • xephona
    xephona Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    zeromagus wrote: »
    Yall missed what i said. I said clone not transplant. "Major Diff"

If they make there own that does the same things, they cannot get sued for it. *it is theirs.*
    which makes the legal issues & responses N/A

of course this is not PWI, but common practice is to make something better than what you previously had.

Lag is always an issue on any game regardless of customization.
    as seen with PWI, the customizations can be toggled, which reduces the lag to what the game is like had the game not been made with the customizations. "Now Dubbed: FW Mode"

The lawsuit involved having facial and body features given a number identifier. The easiest example of this would be to look at FWs system. You have a slider with six or so choices, each one has a number associated with it. This number coding makes it simple to share the design of your character with everyone, without having the hastle of a mess of hex code for EACH piece. If FW would be to expand beyond the very BASICS i.e. face is one number, body is another... into the area of ears, eyes, nose, etc. again. They would need to buy the software for this system. They can always go back to the individual coding and images associated with those details, without the simple number coding. But then each character would have a 50KB download size (as opposed to.. maybe 30bytes currently), adding to the lag and hardware requirements.

So basically, you can add more lag, or more fees in order to get more customization.

Standard car modification logic applies.

It can be good and cheep, but it wont be fast.
    It can be fast and cheep, but it wont be good.
    It can be good and fast, but it wont be cheep.

Pick your poison.
    fw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=76401
  • amberdoll6six6
    amberdoll6six6 Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I think the basic idea is everyone is wanting just a few more options. I honestly was expecting a very pwe style customization and was disappointed to only find a few options for each race..

Although each face does have it's own "flare" you can add but that also doesn't allow for
    mixing up faces and things you can add to them.

It would be great to add just a few more face options and a few more body styles. A few options to change the top middle and bottom portions would be a great improvement. Also
    being able to change the eye color/skin color/hair color all the same way would be simple and make it more personal for each player.

Right now it seems a little lacking since it gives you some options its almost like you are just adding a little personality to a very standard character.

I think there are a few too many options on pwe nose eye lip sizes & angles that you don't even see really during in game play.. So..

I think everyone just wants a few more options and were expecting a little more than 6 faces with 1 standard figure per race. It would also be nice to use sliders for colors on eyes/hair/skin. And Perhaps open all hair options to all races?