Name Already Taken on New Servers?

catica
catica Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2011 in General Discussion
I have tried to use several of the names I had before on the pvp server on the new pve servers and they just tell me name is already taken. I even tried some of my really rare made up names and its telling me those are taken too.

Can there not be any of the same names on different servers in FW? I know all of the other pwe games allow the same names on different servers or is it just this way for the CB?

Because I want to play on the PVE server now, but I would like to use my names from the PVP server.
Post edited by catica on
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• deathbunny
    deathbunny Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    I thought it was a bit weird that every single name I tried didn't work...

cz47.gif
    Post in the right section and maybe you'll get the help you seek.

[ Guide Index | Search | PWE Support ]
  • gustavomesquita
    gustavomesquita Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    How about If you stop being a carebear and play on the PvP server.

Problem solved.
    [Add smth cool here]
  • catica
    catica Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    deathbunny wrote: »
    I thought it was a bit weird that every single name I tried didn't work...

Ah so Im not the only one who thought it weird lol :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jamiesmith15
    jamiesmith15 Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Same thing happening to me i can't choose a name.
  • shiorihikaru
    shiorihikaru Posts: 30
    edited February 2011
    I had the same problem.
    I tried some strange names that I had used on the PvP server, and they are said to be taken already.
    Hopefully after the wipe we will be allowed one character on each server with the same name, rather than the entire game.
    If not, I'm going to stay up as late as I have to in order to reserve mine. >.>
  • jaevalla
    jaevalla Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    I really hope they fix that!
  • hellodarkness
    hellodarkness Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Yeah. I noticed this too. o.o'

I was on not long after the servers were up yet there were a lot of strange names taken.
  • bryanfury83
    bryanfury83 Posts: 474 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    catica wrote: »
    I have tried to use several of the names I had before on the pvp server on the new pve servers and they just tell me name is already taken. I even tried some of my really rare made up names and its telling me those are taken too.

Can there not be any of the same names on different servers in FW? I know all of the other pwe games allow the same names on different servers or is it just this way for the CB?

Because I want to play on the PVE server now, but I would like to use my names from the PVP server.
    I have got the same problem with ALL my chars...

I do think that the servers does use the same database and it's shared on both PvP/PvE servers.

There are 2 possibilities about that:

1) It's a temporally problem, because they did a copy-past of the database and it will be clean soon by all the chars to let us play also there
    2) It's a purpose action, to avoid people play into 2 servers with the same char (and i don't see the sense over this action, you can't use your char into a different server and jump from PvE to PvP and reverse...)
  • dare2try2killme
    dare2try2killme Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Well I have 2 characters of the same name in different servers so that scratches that. My name was taken on the PVP server but I found a dwarf running around with that name so it was legit. I think the copy-paste data base theory is the most likely. Phase 4 is the first chance I've gotten to place and the only instance of my name being taken was when somebody actually had that. I guess CactusJack is a more popular name than I thought =D
  • xephona
    xephona Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    It is a lot simpler than that.

On the PWI servers, regardless of what server you are on, your names are not usable if they are already in use in that location.

I.E. The US East servers all use the same database, and the US West servers all use the same database. The case here is that you are switching from PvP to PvE while still being in the same nameserver location.
    fw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=76401
  • falycia
    falycia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Facing the same problem.
    I deleted some characters before during CB3 and those names were usable - thus I think there must be a name-data wipe that is not completed yet in the PvE servers if people are saying that PvP servers work fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Background art courtesy of Heise.
  • chaoticshelly
    chaoticshelly Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Is anyone still unable to register a name for their character? And I mean every name, even if its random letters or a name that couldn't possibly be used.
  • galvayra
    galvayra Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    i tried with random letters and it works ... but who could play with such a name, i want my name QQ
    and if i delete my old character on the other server is going to take a week to get it

LE: Oh well , workarounds ftw, i just use my old name and add a new letter or two at the end like GalvayraDps
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
  • chaoticshelly
    chaoticshelly Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Oh, so the problem isn't caused from the game's end - if you use a name that's already being used on the server, you cannot get the name. I was worried people are experiencing some type of a new bug.
  • darkmarauder
    darkmarauder Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    xephona wrote: »
    I.E. The US East servers all use the same database, and the US West servers all use the same database. The case here is that you are switching from PvP to PvE while still being in the same nameserver location.

^ Exactly right =/

IMO each server should have its own name base in OB, people dont really associate with other servers than their own, so it shouldnt be a problem having two people of the same name on different servers x.x
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CN Talent Calculator, with lvl 70-80 Talents: shenmo.178.com/tools/tfmnq/
  • redwingpixie
    redwingpixie Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    That kinda sucks lol i hope this isnt carried over into OB coz i might fancy being on pvp and pve servers.

also i think names are reserved for OB now after wipe right?
    D-D-Disconnect-And-Self-Destruct-One-Bullet-At-A-Time
  • bryanfury83
    bryanfury83 Posts: 474 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    On the PWI servers, regardless of what server you are on, your names are not usable if they are already in use in that location.
    Oh, so the problem isn't caused from the game's end - if you use a name that's already being used on the server, you cannot get the name. I was worried people are experiencing some type of a new bug.
    That is pretty stupid... they are DIFFERENT servers, regadless of what location it's.

I can't switch from a PvP to PvE server and reverse with my char even if i wish, so, what is the meaning of that action? It have nonsense...
  • ursumtl
    ursumtl Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    who the fk took my name?
    "Ursa" is my wizard name. Whoever took it will be stoned to death North of Library as soon as I get my hands on him/her. Someone lure Johnny away for a while, I don't want the kid get traumatized.
  • faerius
    faerius Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Yes regardless of what server we play on shouldn't the name database be different from server to server. Just because one server has said name on it IE the original server I have been playing on and because I switched to the PvE server (don't care so much for PvP and getting attacked at random) I can't use the same names.

Is there any way you can fix this?
  • xephona
    xephona Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Two fun facts for you all.

1.) Previously, if you made a character name and then deleted it... that name was gone FOREVER. Be grateful you can re-use them.

2.) There were announcements of the "gods" of each server being able to start wars with people of the other servers. Which would make having two people with the same name slightly confusing...
    fw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=76401
  • pensri
    pensri Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Two fun facts for you all.

1.) Previously, if you made a character name and then deleted it... that name was gone FOREVER. Be grateful you can re-use them.

2.) There were announcements of the "gods" of each server being able to start wars with people of the other servers. Which would make having two people with the same name slightly confusing...

Thank you on comment #2 I was about to say this myself. You all have forgotten that there will be server battles in this game look I agree this sucks but it cannot be helped. Some of you say how the servers never associate well remember that is wrong in this case. We will associate there lies the issue. But hey server battles are a new concept so if I have to make a new name so be it. Just make sure to be there at the launch and pick a server if you want your name lol. Some bish already took my name in one of the phases v.v one iv used for 6 years ><! And in all the PWI games DX. :(:mad:

Oh wait here is a suggestion though how about you put like a number next to the name high lighted or something or the server name next to their name so people know which one it is. For example if I used this forum name and someone else did to. Pensri (PVE Server (server name here)) Pensri (PVP Server (server name here)) You could even color code them when they are high lighted to match a color code of the server. YA! I like this idea. Hold on a mintute I'm going to the suggestion forum with this :P. *runs off to it* WISH ME LUCK XP.
This discussion has been closed.