A few things about instances

chaosheart27
chaosheart27 Posts: 1,233 Arc User
edited March 2012 in General Discussion
If you are in an instance and there is someone considerably higher level than you that has done something more times then they can count, and you have not had as much experience than they have what is the harm of listening to them giving you friendly advice?

1. *If* you are going to be anywhere in a party group but especially in a dungeon instance bring pots and food. For both MP and HP.

2. *If* you are tanking a boss with an AoE/Stun etc face them away from your group.

3. Wait for your main healer to be ready before engaging a boss. (Filled mana etc)

4. *If* you are running through a part of an instance to avoid and reset mobs stow your pet.

5. Learn your dungeon BEFORE you go in.

6. If you don't know your dungeon or do not know what you are doing ASK FOR HELP. I would much rather have you think you look stupid then get our entire group killed.

7. Do not que for an instance if you aren't prepared to do the entire instance. (all bosses)

Honestly if you are without respect for those healing you and continually do things that will get your entire party killed I reserve the right to let you die a miserable death.

kthnxbai ♥
Post edited by chaosheart27 on
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Art done by Apple, Sig by Neoyoshi *Much ♥*

My ♥ Belongs to Forseti.
Honor has not to be won; it must only not be lost.
*Playing since Phase 1/Day 1*

Comments

• sircreation
    sircreation Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    PUGs are bad. Stay away from PUGs. /kicks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Moved on to semi-better things. >.<
    Reboot ~ Mage
  • deathbunny
    deathbunny Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    What's PUG...?

And actually, asking for help doesn't make you look stupid... but running the instance without a clue and killing everyone does. =D

cz47.gif
    Post in the right section and maybe you'll get the help you seek.

[ Guide Index | Search | PWE Support ]
  • thivus
    thivus Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    deathbunny wrote: »
    What's PUG...?

Pick-Up-Group

A group formed on the spot consisting of people who are neither friends nor guildmates
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    race/Class:Kindred Vampire | Stoneman protector
    Ingame name:MercuryLaumpe | Thivus
  • chaosheart27
    edited December 2010
    deathbunny wrote: »
    What's PUG...?

And actually, asking for help doesn't make you look stupid... but running the instance without a clue and killing everyone does. =D

Exactly my point =)

PUG = Pick up group (Basically anytime you use the t system filling numbers with random people you don't know.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My ♥ Belongs to Forseti.
  • deathbunny
    deathbunny Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Ah... right right. Thanks. Yes, they are bad... very bad.

cz47.gif
    Post in the right section and maybe you'll get the help you seek.

[ Guide Index | Search | PWE Support ]
  • xephona
    xephona Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Granted... most PUGs end in epic failure, I have had a few good ones. Then again.... those were formed via world chat with the party leader requesting certain classes for speed runs, but still technically public.

Anyway, A few instances don't matter what group you get. Namely Gods Trail, Glistening Lowlands, and Nightmare Carnival (for 75% of it anyway... just pray they know how to count or do what they are told). In fact, they are kinda necessary due to most guilds not wanting people without a reference, and most references are due to pubby groups.

Either way, this can all be solved by changing the T interface to allow you to "request" certain classes, instead of just tossing vamp,bard,priest all in the "healer" class. Make it so we can choose which classes are mandatory.
    fw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=76401
  • chaosheart27
    edited December 2010
    xephona wrote: »
    Granted... most PUGs end in epic failure, I have had a few good ones. Then again.... those were formed via world chat with the party leader requesting certain classes for speed runs, but still technically public.

Anyway, A few instances don't matter what group you get. Namely Gods Trail, Glistening Lowlands, and Nightmare Carnival (for 75% of it anyway... just pray they know how to count or do what they are told). In fact, they are kinda necessary due to most guilds not wanting people without a reference, and most references are due to pubby groups.

Either way, this can all be solved by changing the T interface to allow you to "request" certain classes, instead of just tossing vamp,bard,priest all in the "healer" class. Make it so we can choose which classes are mandatory.

Good luck with that one. When attempting to instruct a tank on what to do with Montis I was called a smarta** and we subsequently lost him and another party member because of it, which never should have happened with a lvl 40 bard healing >.>

And as far as guilds go, wolfpack doesn't require a refferance, but we do ask people to fill out an application as we are looking for good people that fit into our group and not random people because as we all know you sometimes never know what you will get.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My ♥ Belongs to Forseti.
  • xephona
    xephona Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Good luck with that one. When attempting to instruct a tank on what to do with Montis I was called a smarta** and we subsequently lost him and another party member because of it, which never should have happened with a lvl 40 bard healing >.>

And as far as guilds go, wolfpack doesn't require a refferance, but we do ask people to fill out an application as we are looking for good people that fit into our group and not random people because as we all know you sometimes never know what you will get.

... Read my statement again. And that red-text you highlighted to make your "point" directly related to NIGHTMARE CARNIVAL only.
    fw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=76401
  • chaosheart27
    edited December 2010
    ... Read my statement again. And that red-text you highlighted to make your "point" directly related to NIGHTMARE CARNIVAL only.

I don't see why you are attacking me.... I didn't mean anything by it towards you in anyway. Was just saying it's easier said than done to get people to listen regardless of what instance you are in. Basically agreeing with you. *Shrugs*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My ♥ Belongs to Forseti.
  • electricwater
    electricwater Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I agree with changing the auto-queue system... But i don't think we should choose class...
    Every instance should have a different Party Pattern
    should be like this (I'll take Arena of Souls as example):
    this is the Party Pattern i think is ideal for AoS. There are 6 slots

Slot 1 - Protector
    Slot 2 - Priest
    Slot 3 - Warrior/Protector
    Slot 4 - Bard/Vampire/Priest
    Slot 5 - Mage, Marksman, Assassin/Vampire/Bard/Warrior/Protector/Priest
    Slot 6 - Mage, Marksman, Assassin/Vampire/Bard/Warrior/Protector/Priest

and the Auto-queue would pick players based in this pattern, got it? :p
    I think that arena w/o prot just can't happen, as well as w/o priest...
    We need another protector or a warrior to kite the Hammer Dwarf boss (forgot his name... he comes with bobo and alatas) as the other prot tanks bobo and Alatas (we should kill bobo first, ofc)
    Then a healer class, whether vamp, bard oir priest (and the priority should be in that order i put, cause bards heal a party better than vamps, and there's already a slot for a priest, so a priest would be the last one in priority)
    and the other two slots could be any class, with priority on MM and Mages and Assassins, randomly picking one of the three (cause they don't have any special slot on the pattern)

Think i've made my point... hopefuly :p
    I'll post this in suggestion box :D
  • chaosheart27
    edited December 2010
    I agree with changing the auto-queue system... But i don't think we should choose class...

Slot 1 - Protector
    Slot 2 - Priest

and the Auto-queue would pick players based in this pattern, got it? :p

I would agree for dungeons lvl 30/40+ however it shouldn't be like this for the lower instances and GT as they can easily be done with one bard or priest or combo and one tank with or without an off-tank. I think with this as the only set-up you may be waiting awhile to get into certain instances when most people have leveled past them.

Plus I see an issue if this is the requirement of the team with allowing pre-made squads to pick and choose their class make-up if they want to opt for a different set up then that. I realize you can take your pre-made group in via the npc but currently there is an issue with going into instances via the npc and not getting credit for guild dailies of cont/merit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My ♥ Belongs to Forseti.
  • luminae
    luminae Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    How do i go about learning my dungeon before ever going into it? Is there a wiki somewhere or something?
  • kodama15
    kodama15 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    thivus wrote: »
    Pick-Up-Group

A group formed on the spot consisting of people who are neither friends nor guildmates

I have thinked is a group of peoples who steal the dungeon bosses itens and after run away from the party.
  • bunnypirates
    bunnypirates Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    luminae wrote: »
    How do i go about learning my dungeon before ever going into it? Is there a wiki somewhere or something?

Ask people. That way you'll get to know the dungeon before entering and most likely you'll hear some useful tips, too. And if you're lucky the person might want to join you (no need to queue if you look for people yourself). And you really can't make friends if you don't talk to anyone ^^; Believe me, the game is much more fun and things are easier to finish when you have friends there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

*CB1 player, herp-a-derp.*
    forsakenworldart.deviantart.comJOIN
    Retired; playing a game called life. O:
  • heresy009
    heresy009 Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited February 2011

Slot 1 - Protector
    Slot 2 - Priest
    I would agree for dungeons lvl 30/40+ however it shouldn't be like this for the lower instances and GT as they can easily be done with one bard or priest or combo and one tank with or without an off-tank. I think with this as the only set-up you may be waiting awhile to get into certain instances when most people have leveled past them.

Plus I see an issue if this is the requirement of the team with allowing pre-made squads to pick and choose their class make-up if they want to opt for a different set up then that. I realize you can take your pre-made group in via the npc but currently there is an issue with going into instances via the npc and not getting credit for guild dailies of cont/merit.

Great points! Although, for the higher instances, it's only mandatory to have a tank + healer + 4 random classes realy.

so, Slot 1 Prot
    Slot 2 Priest
    Slot 3-6 - random

I know it's hard to run an instance with a Prot, a Priest and say 4 bards but it's doable. And you will most certainly survive xD Though it might take half a day... -____-

And GT needs a tank and a healer as well for the bossfight. Granted, it might not be the most difficult boss out there but I personally wouldn't wanna die in such an easy instance just because of a PUG missmatch.

Ask people. That way you'll get to know the dungeon before entering and most likely you'll hear some useful tips, too. And if you're lucky the person might want to join you (no need to queue if you look for people yourself). And you really can't make friends if you don't talk to anyone ^^; Believe me, the game is much more fun and things are easier to finish when you have friends there.

As good as it sounds, it's really wishful thinking. I suppose you would help out a newie asking for tips, but 90% of the player population would just ignore/flame such a person. It's best to just state you're a first-time runner at the beginning of the run. People wanna survive so they will nurture you/give you tips as the dungeon progresses.
  • bunnypirates
    bunnypirates Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    I always got help when I asked, from both friends and random people. Of course there are idiots who think they're better people than the newbies, but seriously that's an issue in the games that are for the younger audience. People *seem* to be a little more mature here. Well, not everyone but most of the people.

Getting help also depends on the asker. There's a big difference between HELP ME BETCH OR I KIL U!!!1one and Could you please ---.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

*CB1 player, herp-a-derp.*
    forsakenworldart.deviantart.comJOIN
    Retired; playing a game called life. O:
  • mayito2009
    mayito2009 Posts: 316 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Granted... most PUGs end in epic failure, I have had a few good ones.

Tend to disagree, so far in every single PUG I have been with 1 exception we all have finished without a hinch. All have been very well conducted, even the ones from the beginning when we were all a bunch of noobs, I even got into 1 where we had 3 protectors and 3 mages no healer and we kicked good. The only thing you need ina PUG is someone willing to take the lead and explain what to do.
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).
  • heresy009
    heresy009 Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    I've had really good experience with PUGs. But there were a few terrible ones.

You never knwo who you will party with. Experienced or not, if they don't understand the role in the team and don't listen to you asking them to stop doing hazardous things. Not nice if you get a whipe because someone just aggroed the entire room ;)
  • eshokes
    eshokes Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    A few good pointers here for anyone who may be playing a mmorpg for the first time.

Glanced upon a few comments about 'pug's.

I'm the kind that thinks 'pug's are the most fun as they are like a box of chocolates.

A lot more fun to play when you have to think your way through an instance/dungeon based on the strengths/weaknesses of the cards your dealt.

Yes it does involve a lot more communication to pull it off, but what a great way to meet other gamers who are serious about having fun.

Safe Travels and Happy Trails
  • ussichu
    ussichu Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    As a MM, most of my PUGs failed

As a priest, my PUGs hardly fail

• terrorian
    terrorian Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    There are instances whitout limit entries? i mean an instance when you can go in anytime an how many times you want?
  • tyconnolly
    tyconnolly Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    You should add in the first post to let the tanks do their job. The one thing I hate most is when I'm tanking and some ranged idiot with low defense and hp thinks I'm going to slow so they run ahead of me and I have to rush to catch up. Usually, if I'm pausing it's for good reason (letting people pot, rebuffing, etc) and if you do that too often, I'm just gonna let you die or waste pots to finish the killing the mob on your own. The only classes I'll protect no matter what is the priest cause they've got the heals and sometimes the bard if they've got a group heal and their hp is dangerously low.
  • Thuundyrhaamyr - Lionheart
    Thuundyrhaamyr - Lionheart Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    My PUG experience has pretty much been a mixed bag, as I've been in some good, and some bad. I found, as a Prot, it's best if I Food, Drink, and Pot my character to the Nines before entering the PUG instance, since a lot of times there may be no healer, or the healer you get lacks experience/common sense in instance running.:rolleyes: Many times, as a Marksman, the same rule of Food, Drink, and Pot to the Nines has applied for me, especially without an experienced healer in the PUG.:rolleyes:

If those choosing Priest, Bard, or other class with Individual/Group Heals skillsets COULD learn to play their class when PUGing or in a Private Party early on, there would be a lot less grand-standing by those character players who madly rush off on their own.;) It all comes down to the Emotional Maturity of the players that choose the Healer classes to begin with.;)

Sorry about the Thread Necro, but I felt it was appropriate to post my own experiences with PUGs.:rolleyes: BtW, if I qualify for the "Thread Necromancer of the Year Award", does that mean I get a prize?:D
  • XPraks - Eyrda
    XPraks - Eyrda Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Nice Necro.:D
  • RudeBarb - Storm Legion
    RudeBarb - Storm Legion Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Hahahahaha ,, lotsa truth,, some myth ,,,

** A PUG is like a box of Chocolates, if it gets too hot it will melt **

** A PUG is like a 3 dressed up as a 9 **

** A Pug is like a pretty girl, after all is said and done, most are Ugly but the wrapper was good **

GL PUGs are fun fun fun,, 'specially when 2 m0r0ns form an alt group then invite 2 suckers to do most of the work

My BEST 70+ LSC was in a PUG ! ! ! ! by then everyone should know WTH they are doing

My worst was an LH PUG where group didnt get past the first boss,,, BAD!! BAD !! :eek:
  • Thuundyrhaamyr - Lionheart
    Thuundyrhaamyr - Lionheart Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Nice Necro.:D

Thank you, thank you, I AIMS ta please, Bubky!:D;):rolleyes:
  • Dakotahkid - Eyrda
    Dakotahkid - Eyrda Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    a Necro of over a year, thats gotta be a record.
    Abels: The most OP class is the one that you're not playing.
    78 Venom Sin
    Why Venom? Because stun locking for 7 seconds and nearly doubling your evasion for 15 seconds doesn't take skill.
  • Nyxa - Storm Legion
    Nyxa - Storm Legion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    http://fw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=9931&highlight=necro

NO that is a necro.....now if you don't mind, I'd really like if you guys would stop with the necros
    [SIGPIC]http://img163.imageshack.us/i/deur0g.png/[/SIGPIC]
    Special thanks to chaosheart27 for the awesome sig
    I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. Edgar Allan Poe
  • IMBALANZE - Lionheart
    IMBALANZE - Lionheart Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    My PUG experience has pretty much been a mixed bag, as I've been in some good, and some bad. I found, as a Prot, it's best if I Food, Drink, and Pot my character to the Nines before entering the PUG instance, since a lot of times there may be no healer, or the healer you get lacks experience/common sense in instance running.:rolleyes: Many times, as a Marksman, the same rule of Food, Drink, and Pot to the Nines has applied for me, especially without an experienced healer in the PUG.:rolleyes:

If those choosing Priest, Bard, or other class with Individual/Group Heals skillsets COULD learn to play their class when PUGing or in a Private Party early on, there would be a lot less grand-standing by those character players who madly rush off on their own.;) It all comes down to the Emotional Maturity of the players that choose the Healer classes to begin with.;)

Sorry about the Thread Necro, but I felt it was appropriate to post my own experiences with PUGs.:rolleyes: BtW, if I qualify for the "Thread Necromancer of the Year Award", does that mean I get a prize?:D
    necromancerrrrrrr

no you get banned

anyways...anyone can just queue to get in so...this theory doesn't really work

also...at higher level people DO remember to bring stuff they'll need...and share if it really can't be helped

only lowbies don't share or forget their stuff
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by Luciferia
    I read CN
    drama aren't far from this siggy
  • Malifacent - Storm Legion
    Malifacent - Storm Legion Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    I don't mind using the queue, but the problem I find, is that except for NC, GL and GT, you wait for hours in a queue. It's much faster to just flute for a party. One note, the slot for a backup healer contains a vamp. While my blood vamp can solo heal a few instances, she'd never make it in most. That's right a blood vamp. She's a great backup healer in the tougher instances, but has the skill scrolls for healing, so the heals are fairly high. The system doesn't take into account that the other trees don't have the same healing skills as blood vamps. Inferno and Dark vamps have very low healing skills, and even as a backup healer don't offer much. However, their damage is awesome! I know ppl will say any heals are good, but not all vamp trees have decent heals. Same for bards. Light bards have great group heals, but wind and water bards don't heal for anywhere near as much. But again, the damage that wind and water bards can do is awesome! PUG's can be good and bad. The system tries to find a good group, but it depends a lot on how many ppl are in the queue for that instance. I've had some really good ones, and met some nice ppl that way. I've had some really bad ones too. It's just a game! I think listening to ppl with experience in the instance is a good idea, and ppl who run ahead of their tank are silly. I agree with a lot of what you guys said, but sometimes the queue can get you a really good group.