Pay for Power?

pwiqq
pwiqq Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2011 in General Discussion
Originally Posted by MMOSite
You recently said in an interview that Forsaken World would employ a cash shop that does not give power -- as they have found that North American audiences are not comfortable with paying for power.

-Found this in a PWI Forum...

-In this interview with MMOSite, PWE said that Forsaken world was not going to be pay for power...

-hope this holds true...

-do you think PWE will stay true to it's word?
Post edited by pwiqq on

pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1138561&page=2

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• skyepersona
    skyepersona Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    This is a f2p game. Expect to have to pay to compete.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tyanara
    tyanara Posts: 734 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    It is already pay for power sort of, so yeah can't believe you still listen to the false promises of every game O.o when it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dirf
    dirf Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    pwiqq wrote: »
    You recently said in an interview that Forsaken World would employ a cash shop that does not give power -- as they have found that North American audiences are not comfortable with paying for power.

-In this interview with MMOSite, PWE said that Forsaken world was not going to be pay for power...

-hope this holds true...

I sure hope so...PWI cash shoppers overpowered every1, then they look down on you, because u didn`t spend the money they did...the CEO`s of PWE must have some damn good bonuses!!
  • pwiqq
    pwiqq Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    :(:(:(:(:(

pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1138561&page=2

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tyanara
    tyanara Posts: 734 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    :(:(:(:(:(
    Well the cash shop itself isn't game breaking yet, but it's just the huge money cash shoppers have by selling leaves or cash shop stuff, that make it pay2win, because of mastery training being a pure gold sink instead of a series of challenging trial quests... that I'm sure everyone would love instead >.>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pimpeh
    pimpeh Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Just enjoy it while it lasts,just saying.
  • heychowder
    heychowder Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    pimpeh wrote: »
    Just enjoy it while it lasts,just saying.

+1 bud, Totally
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kensharma
    kensharma Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Its just one of the benefits of supporting the game. F2P games don't come free if thats news to you.
    Here To Live, Love, Joy, And Rock The Game.

Not Here To Argue. Not Here To Fight.

Here To Be My Best, Using All Of My Might
  • outlawarcher
    outlawarcher Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    rather than gripe about it, take your experance from PW and learn from them. the game is coming out soon, buy valuable items while they are cheap and hold them lol. if i knew the non sense that happened in PW was gonna happen, i would have tried to do that from the begining lol.

i hope they be more carful with what they put on the item mall. well i'll be around when this game first comes out. so if over powered items come out, i'll be near the level cap anyways lol so i'll have a high level to make money off of:P just get a few pals and farm farm farm:D. now that we all know the warning signs of a market $%#@storm looming, we just take precautions lol.
  • daftfool
    daftfool Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    powerogskull.gif
  • tehnubz
    tehnubz Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    I hope it holds true but it's probably not going to.

Although some games manage cash shops mostly on clothes, customization, exp/gold bonuses, mounts or other things.

Although considering at times I'm really lazy to grind for stuff I wouldn't mind just shelling out some cash for it to be easier. Just not like another game I've played where it's about $10,000-$13,000 for top tier end game pvp items. But then again thats about from completely gear-less till max gear but if you had the cash you could be a nobody to dominating the server in a week.

Really hope that's not here.
  • notgointouseform
    notgointouseform Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    When cash shops are in place in a game they can MAKE or BREAK the game as somegames know that if they put like lvl 20sword with 32313-32555dmg and price it at
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    IGN:XxBLAZExX
    Class:Warrior
    LVL:38
    Guild:XxFEARxX
    ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    I Am God Of Tha Sword So Bring It
  • soul99
    soul99 Posts: 6
    edited February 2011
    Actually it would be nice if they do stick to there end of the deal. It'll definetly last much longer if they did. Though most of the time they don't really listen to the feedbacks and ruin it for themselfs or listen to some 10 year old complain then a more experience gamer who actually play more of these types of game.
  • mayito2009
    mayito2009 Posts: 316 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    soul99 wrote: »
    Actually it would be nice if they do stick to there end of the deal. It'll definetly last much longer if they did. Though most of the time they don't really listen to the feedbacks and ruin it for themselfs or listen to some 10 year old complain then a more experience gamer who actually play more of these types of game.

Quick question, do you work? or you are too young still and go to school? Do you have to pay for your lunch? Do your parennts work for free? Do you go to the store and they give you stuff for free? Dont you think that the devs of this game have families? Dont you think that they will love to get paid so they can buy food for their kids? Or clothes? Or gas for their cars? Or get paid so they can pay the light bill? Because the game is F2P doensot mean the game's devs work for free.

The company must pay for salaries, electricity, internet usage, etc. So they have to make money somehow, CS is the way to make money. Some people will have a horse who farts flames and smoke, others like me will have a horse that plains farts, others will have armors with so many stones that will shine making you blind, my armor will make you want to close your eyes so you dont see it.

This is a game, a way of entertainment, if you can afford it, you buy stuff. I know that I cannot afford everything but at least a mount or 2, some stones, some pots etc. I will like to see some talent potions or be able to reset my talents when I screwed up.

But the bottom line when you offer something it is in exchange for something, they offer you entertainment and they want your money so they can keep making more games.
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).
  • necroraizen
    necroraizen Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    daftfool wrote: »
    powerogskull.gif

You - sir - have made my day.

Thank you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Race: Human
    Class: Priest
    Guild: -none-

To Purge the world from heretics...
  • heresy009
    heresy009 Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    There is a way not to let CS get out of hand - provide the same content for the non-paying users, just make them work for it :)

Star crystals for example - they grant a bigger chance of success while fortyfying gear than star debris which you get for free. That said, you have to spend some time hunting for those and the CS item is just one click away :)

Leaf exchange bothers me though. You get an insane ammount of gold otherwise obtainable only through running nightmare carnival every other day. This advantage of CS is too big IMO.
  • umbrellacorp1
    umbrellacorp1 Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    This is a f2p game. Expect to have to pay to compete.

i don't think its going to be like the way every ones thinking some games u have to pay so far the only thing u may rely have to pay for are the crystals to upgrade your weapon farther and that's not a big deal so most ppl.
    from what i seen u can use in game gold to buy some cash shop items its expensive but nice idea PWI i didn`t have to pay for any power well a better flying mount about it
  • edi
    edi Posts: 339 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    one word for now: mastery
  • izidius
    izidius Posts: 40
    edited February 2011
    Jonathan Beliss said BOI wasn't gonna be pay-2-win...we all know how that turned out. I expect the same thing to happen here.
  • soul99
    soul99 Posts: 6
    edited February 2011
    mayito2009 wrote: »
    Quick question, do you work? or you are too young still and go to school? Do you have to pay for your lunch? Do your parennts work for free? Do you go to the store and they give you stuff for free? Dont you think that the devs of this game have families? Dont you think that they will love to get paid so they can buy food for their kids? Or clothes? Or gas for their cars? Or get paid so they can pay the light bill? Because the game is F2P doensot mean the game's devs work for free.

The company must pay for salaries, electricity, internet usage, etc. So they have to make money somehow, CS is the way to make money. Some people will have a horse who farts flames and smoke, others like me will have a horse that plains farts, others will have armors with so many stones that will shine making you blind, my armor will make you want to close your eyes so you dont see it.

This is a game, a way of entertainment, if you can afford it, you buy stuff. I know that I cannot afford everything but at least a mount or 2, some stones, some pots etc. I will like to see some talent potions or be able to reset my talents when I screwed up.

But the bottom line when you offer something it is in exchange for something, they offer you entertainment and they want your money so they can keep making more games.

Sorry i've never expected for them not to sell anything I'm just saying it won't be too horrible with paying for power. I've been playing mmorpg around the age of 10, maybe the most memorable mmorpg I remember is ragnarok online. I'm just saying in short they don't ruin the game with cash shop themselfs. I'm sure you've seen PWI Weapon upgrade system. You won't do any max upgrade unless you pay around $300+ or work for months/year just to get the billions you need to do those upgrades. Ultimately yea you should wait for your level to be max before you upgrade. Besides this point you don't want the game Filled with cash shopper because the game won't last.

Then again if they really want to, they can be like the game rohan online and allow people to trade there characters online through there system for points. (No point in leveling yourselfs not is there.)

I don't want to see people paying for something like instant heal potion in Cash Shop just to get the advantage because normal player won't get a chance to win. So before you rant on if this person is old enough or have ever payed bills and such think about what he said. As the comment was just meant for the topic from the first poster.

-hope this holds true...

• wertoret
    wertoret Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    yeah everyone assumes MMO developers are poor indie devs who have tight budgets and require the "support" of their players to keep the game running on.

Not to imply anything, I really don't know where does the money I pay goes to when I buy something from a MMO dev, I will know clearly where my money goes when I purchase steam games such as Killing Floor, Gratuitous space battles, everyday shooter, flotilla, dogfighter or AAAAAaaaAAAaaAAAAAAaaaaaaA. (I bet nobody here knows ANy of these games) cause they're true indie devs and they have much better customer care than others.
    "lol" - Anonymous
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wchi
    wchi Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    If they made cash shop pay for Looks and more customizations that do not affect player against player interactions, that would be good enough for cash shop and people will go for it. I wouldn't mind them giving us dinky looking pets to use in game and paying so that it looks like Arcanine.
    wao
  • carmilla
    carmilla Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    So far, you cant pay to win in the sense that theres no infinity+1 sword from the CS that pwns everyone who doesnt have one.

Whats more, you can very easily upgrade gears to at least +6 (of a max of +12) with just the normal in-game upgrading items (and you wont want to go any higher than that for normal gears before end game anyway). And not just that, but there other ways inside of the game to get the advanced upgrading items aside from the CS (you get 10 from the box you can open as you lvl up, 10 more when you reach a certain amount of achievements, etc.) and since you can also buy them from players or buy leafs (CS currency) with in-game currency to get them from the CS, and this game has plenty of systems in place in order to prevent gold inflation and leaf prices from skyrocketing, this should never get too hard to farm without spending a single dime of real cash.

However, it is also obviously true that a heavy CShopper will be able to make a lot of gold by selling CS stuff and from there buy all the cool items from other players that he/she wants to be ubber powerful, but in practice, this is true for any online game out there (sure, p2p games might not have CS, but you can still pay someone else with real cash to get you whatever you want if you are rich) and basically amounts to whether you want to grind in-game or IRL to get all that stuff.
  • boozin
    boozin Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Does it really matter if other's pay to win from the get-go?

Having been present on the launch of a new server in another game, there is no question there are some who swipe their visa in a race to the top. Sure, they dominate for a little while, however, that doesn't last.

As long as it is obtainable to achieve the same gear etc through grinding/events/instances etc there will be motivated free players that will close the gap over time. The game breaking aspect of paying to win is only evident if there is no other way to acquire an item other than through the mall.

It appears, to this player, that those who charge astronomical amounts to run around and be the "best" at pk do indeed have a bit of ego complex that can at times get annoying. However, the flip side of the coin is also true. Those who feel a sense of entitlement to the same advantages [for free] as those who pay and constantly moan about not having it are equally as annoying. Choosing to charge should provide you with and edge, otherwise what is the incentive to do so? A a huge pk ego and a credit card is just as bad as having no credit card and huge sense of entitlement.

What ever happened to being proud of an achievement? So what if someone else managed to purchase a weapon with a few mouse clicks and it took you 3 months to farm it? Does that somehow lessen your sense of accomplishment from finally getting the last material and being able to craft it?

Those who pay to win only stay on top to begin with. The truly motivated eventually catch up and in many cases, surpass those who were in a rush.

Slow and steady wins the race. :cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • carmilla
    carmilla Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    boozin wrote: »
    Does it really matter if other's pay to win from the get-go?

Having been present on the launch of a new server in another game, there is no question there are some who swipe their visa in a race to the top. Sure, they dominate for a little while, however, that doesn't last.

As long as it is obtainable to achieve the same gear etc through grinding/events/instances etc there will be motivated free players that will close the gap over time. The game breaking aspect of paying to win is only evident if there is no other way to acquire an item other than through the mall.

It appears, to this player, that those who charge astronomical amounts to run around and be the "best" at pk do indeed have a bit of ego complex that can at times get annoying. However, the flip side of the coin is also true. Those who feel a sense of entitlement to the same advantages [for free] as those who pay and constantly moan about not having it are equally as annoying. Choosing to charge should provide you with and edge, otherwise what is the incentive to do so? A a huge pk ego and a credit card is just as bad as having no credit card and huge sense of entitlement.

What ever happened to being proud of an achievement? So what if someone else managed to purchase a weapon with a few mouse clicks and it took you 3 months to farm it? Does that somehow lessen your sense of accomplishment from finally getting the last material and being able to craft it?

Those who pay to win only stay on top to begin with. The truly motivated eventually catch up and in many cases, surpass those who were in a rush.

Slow and steady wins the race. :cool:

Amen.
  • lushyyy
    lushyyy Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    wchi wrote: »
    If they made cash shop pay for Looks and more customizations that do not affect player against player interactions, that would be good enough for cash shop and people will go for it. I wouldn't mind them giving us dinky looking pets to use in game and paying so that it looks like Arcanine.

Guild Wars employs a Cash Shop similar to this. You only purchase the game and the expansions, there is no monthly fee. There is a cash shop that players can access to change their characters experience, access nifty costumes, and gain more storage and character slots. None of the things players purchase in the cash shop make them any better or powerful than the average player who hasn't spent any money other than the box for the game itself.

From my experience, free games like this generally start off well, seemingly balanced, but eventually the players who dish out the most money always end up on top, that's just how it is. I could be wrong but I am joining this game expecting that unless I put up the money I probably will never be as good as I have the potential to be. I will however, not let that ruin my experience of the game. I played Flyff up until the mid 70's without ever using the cash shop to get ahead other than cute costumes that I thought looked neat, and up to this date it is the most fun I've ever had playing a F2P game.
    When the world all around you is crumbling and you have nothing left but your faith...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wertoret
    wertoret Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    but... you don't want to be the top player, or do you?

going to play on the PvE server, if no CS obtained (directly or indirectly) lets me finish the last dungeon/quest of the game I'll be more than happy, if I ever have to get into PvP, I'll prolly then know whatI should do and prolly wouldn't spend anything on CS...
    "lol" - Anonymous
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nichls9
    nichls9 Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    This has been said by so many. The game is pay to win and no matter how you look at it, It is.
  • ryukage
    ryukage Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    If CS currency were to break this game, it would not be because of what's in the shop itself. It would be because of the Mastery/Resistance trainings.

It's an interesting feature but its poorly designed. Basically, you pay in-game currency to advance your elemental masteries or resistances further than they would be otherwise. In theory any user can do this. But the Leaf-Exchange makes it much much much easier to do for people who pay money. Again, technically people who don't pay anything are capable of doing this also, but the difficulty curve is MUCH sharper because it takes a ton of tradeable gold to do this training to high amounts.

As mentioned before, the M/R trainings would be FAR more balanced if they were a set of trials rather than a giant money sink.

The CS itself is balanced decently for now. Most of the items can be farmed for in some way for free without too great a difficulty curve. The main exception is the Fusion Agents for combining gems... farming them is practically impossible to do reliably because they're just very rare rewards for Glistening Lowlands, and I don't know of any other way to obtain them, aside from them being cheap CS items. But even that doesn't scare me TOO much.

If anything were to break this game, it would be users who are loaded with cash buying ludicrous amounts of mastery training and thus making their damage absurd. That's the only thing that scares me atm. It would be EXTREMELY difficult for any non-CSer to keep up with that, even if you gave him months of farming time.
  • grandchamp69
    grandchamp69 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    izidius wrote: »
    Jonathan Beliss said BOI wasn't gonna be pay-2-win...we all know how that turned out. I expect the same thing to happen here.

Oh Yes we do,lolz. PAY-2-WIN. The one dude who posted he spent 20 grand on his account. Now that's nuts and YES that's 100% PAY-2-WIN
    Zerex_The_Illusionist
    Kindered Mage
    Enjoy watching your face hit the ground
    Coming soon to a server near you to PK you!:cool:
This discussion has been closed.