Other Languages(foreign) and censor dodging?

bratt256
bratt256 Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2011 in General Discussion
So,I found someone with the name I tried to get during character creation and tried to talk to them.I was first like "Youuu! I tried to get that name" They ran off so I assumed they didnt see me type in,then I suddenly started getting spam PMs from them (In russian/polish/french)

I didn't understand these things so I translated them. Turns out,They were spamming me over and over with curse words and other obscenities,and only understandable thing they said was "I dont speak english"

Could this become a problem?

Is this international? Shouldnt there have been a different language server of some sort or is this the english only place? I didn't really appreciate this language coming from someone I just wanted to talk too about how ironic it was to see them run past me,and even make a friend along the way,but to instantly recieve over 15 spam messages of words in different languages including Polish,Russian,and even french,it makes me wonder if this person was purposly looking up words to say just to troll me in disguise.

What should they do/how would you react to this response?
Post edited by bratt256 on

Comments

• salpic
    salpic Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    i agree with you buddy, i think they should have some kind of country restriction for languages or something like that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Level: 0
    Human: Warrior
    Guild: Heavenly
    Position: Leader
    Link: heavenlyguild.mmoguildsites.com
  • drakenfyre
    drakenfyre Posts: 2,614 Community Moderator
    edited January 2011
    technicaly this version is supposed to be English only, but if you are getting spam/harrasement pm's you can get a SS of them, along with translations and send them into support to report the player
    Swordsman Moderator, Forsaken World Moderator, Jade Dynasty Moderator
    I do not have the staff on speed dial
    Insanity Runs Downhill
    2v3ld35.jpg
  • kodachikuno
    kodachikuno Posts: 1,863 Arc User1
    edited January 2011
    most mmo have a way to click the name of a user in the chat window and flag for reporting. Not been graced with a beta invite for FW so I dunno bout this one
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
  • mayito2009
    mayito2009 Posts: 316 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    You need to consider the possibility that he thought that you were acussing him of stealing your name. maybe?
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).
  • uniquenameftw
    uniquenameftw Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    mayito2009 wrote: »
    You need to consider the possibility that he thought that you were acussing him of stealing your name. maybe?

Still wouldnt warrent a load of swearing.

---Personally I dont care about filter dodging, theres a minimum age on the game and people can just blacklist people who swear, its no problem.

Foreign languages ARE annoying however. Not on this game yet, but on other games, you join a party and you dont know what anyone is talking about, it gets very confusing. And about 3/4 the time they can speak good english. So.... use the majority language, the one we all understand please people?

In the olden days it used to be Latin. French and German couldnt understand each other, but they both knew Latin.... :P Now its English :D
  • abrahamdada124
    abrahamdada124 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    wow, that's quite unusual, or maybe not. One thing at least about language barrier is that one side tends to go a little on the defensive when misunderstood. As may have been the case, just like mayito2009 said, the player may have felt you were an official or GM and when someone is not doing something "right" (so to speak) they tend to get scared when they are randomly picked.

Truthfully, I did play some Korean games where i feared greatly of being banned each time someone PMed me. duhh i was always a support class i should get pmed more often.

Back to the point, as long as the harassment has stopped, who knows what was sitting behind the computer at that point.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ronuble
    ronuble Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    maybe the guy just doesn't speak english?? i don't think he was trying to dodge the censor... it's way easier to just write the words different like using spaces, slashes, changing letters for numbers/symbols etc... and when you write in a language that isn't english to a random person you never know if the other person is going to understand so it's pointless.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bratt256
    edited January 2011
    TBH I was just a bit confused,I was going to try and respond back to thembut decided to just leave it once they finally stopped and went on my merry way,next time though i'll take a picture and send it in with translations. Though I agree they should atleast do an IP thing or make different servers for other languages :s
  • bratt256
    edited January 2011
    most mmo have a way to click the name of a user in the chat window and flag for reporting. Not been graced with a beta invite for FW so I dunno bout this one

They just have a report hacking or abuse of bug or some such option. :s
  • zendashi
    zendashi Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Hard to say exactly why this happened could've been many things most likely though just a misunderstanding. This often happens with typing which is 1 of several reasons a lot of people prefer voice communication over typing. Myself I'd just block the person when they started spamming.

I wouldn't take it personally or make a big deal about it. If you read world chat long enough you can see how crude people can be and insensitive to others. This still seems somewhat mild in FW at the moment compared to some other MMO's. Some people just don't give a **** what others think about what they type maybe thats what happened here.

I doubt they were trying to dodge the censors but probably misunderstood your intentions and were typing in different languages they were comfortable with to get the point across. Not saying they handled it right just best guess. Be nice if it was english speaking only and international servers were open but not up to us.
  • heroicfish
    heroicfish Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    You took the time to look up the languages he was responding to you in? It was that big of a deal to you?

I think that's the problem here.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

The sensation was scissors and too much to scream,
    so instead I just started to laugh.
  • carmilla
    carmilla Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    This isn't a problem, it's just the kind of random things that happen on MMORPGs all the time.

The fact that you make such a big deal out of it is the actual problem and sounds like a heavy case of unwarranted self importance. I suggest you seek medical help soon, since it might not be too late for you.
  • heroicfish
    edited January 2011
    carmilla wrote: »
    This isn't a problem, it's just the kind of random things that happen on MMORPGs all the time.

The fact that you make such a big deal out of it is the actual problem and sounds like a heavy case of unwarranted self importance. I suggest you seek medical help soon, since it might not be too late for you.

I love you.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

• sainttlucifer
    sainttlucifer Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    carmilla wrote: »

bashing someone for not laying down and accepting some kid talking trash to him?

in reality , when someone does that, they get put in the hospital.
    so why shouldnt it merit a reaction anywhere else?

i think the fact that he didnt come on here raging about it, and simply bringing it up and asking shows that he is not the one that requires medical aid. But rather a congrats for being the mature one out of this and not fueling the fire as you have.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    **** the reaper, fear the Keeper
    AsylumFW.guildlaunch.com
  • heroicfish
    edited January 2011
    bashing someone for not laying down and accepting some kid talking trash to him?

in reality , when someone does that, they get put in the hospital.
    so why shouldnt it merit a reaction anywhere else?

i think the fact that he didnt come on here raging about it, and simply bringing it up and asking shows that he is not the one that requires medical aid. But rather a congrats for being the mature one out of this and not fueling the fire as you have.

If someone were to yell at you in three foreign languages IRL and you had no idea what they were saying, you'd put them in the hospital?

Racism at its "finest."
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

• edi
    edi Posts: 339 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    There are lot of ppl here that requires medical attention. But if u give me nice, blonde, boobsly nurse I volunteer to be a doctor.

OP: Nothing can be done. Kids will always be kids. Best is not to pay attention cuz he cant do **** to u. Also block is always welcome. I love that option.
  • sainttlucifer
    edited January 2011
    heroicfish wrote: »
    If someone were to yell at you in three foreign languages IRL and you had no idea what they were saying, you'd put them in the hospital?

Racism at its "finest."

race has nothing to do with it.

if someone is yelling at me, then they get hit.

thats what happens when you dont live a sheltered life; you yell at someone, they hit you. lol

so i fail to see how race has anything to do with that topic at least

and just to clarify, im not racist. when you toke up and pick up from detroit, you cant afford to be racist, closes to many doors that otherwise would have been opened to you.
    edit: it also gets you shot very quickly
    edit #2: if a single person yelled at me in 3 diff langos at once, chances are id smoke with em just for the fact that they know that many langos well enough to blend insults together in a single rant. Which ive yet to encounter. so it would be more awsome than insulting
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AsylumFW.guildlaunch.com
  • ronuble
    ronuble Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    if someone is yelling at me, then they get hit.
    WAIT, you're saying that you hit every single person that yells at you? OMG
    edit: it also gets you shot very quickly
    and this! i hope this is a joke lol . (if not, i will start to take u.s.a movies more seriously)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sainttlucifer
    edited January 2011
    ronuble wrote: »
    WAIT, you're saying that you hit every single person that yells at you? OMG

and this! i hope this is a joke lol . (if not, i will start to take u.s.a movies more seriously)

lmao it depends on where you are in the city. like any big city, some places arent to bad, and others make Hell seem like a vacation spot. Thats during the day tho.

never been there at night, not worth the risk. only time its kinda safe at night is during Tech Fest at Heart Plaza, anywhere else you dont wanna be caught without a couple cops close by.

and to your first question, if someone is yelling , then chances are a fight is gonna happen regardless, best to get the first hit in lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AsylumFW.guildlaunch.com
  • maluca
    maluca Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    mmmmm I dont see yet any rules about language restrictions to play this game there are some country restrictions cuz there are regional game versions or others issues, you can find and check that list in this forum.

This is an international version thats mean there are people playing from the wole world wide, an the oficial tongue is english but not restrictive to play it, in world chats is mandatory to use the ofical tongue, but in pms, party chats or guilds chats i dont think so. many partys or guilds are made from diferent friends of same country or laguage, if you get into a party chat an you dont understand what are they saying just ask for english or leave the party.

Insults or spamw are others things but dont be a kids just put into blacklist / ignore list the guy and enjoy the game.

And about chars names, omg i see any kinds of chars name and this is awesome the stupidity of some players to create a name for their chars, with hard to write names with strange simbols (dang i hate that some are almost imposible to pm -.-), non sense names, or insulting names.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.