The Trees (Venom/Edge/Shadow)

idk34
idk34 Posts: 9 Arc User
edited July 2011 in Assassin Discussion
Since i would like to know how the trees are, please discuss your Assassin here, preferably if you played the game, and talk about how your assassin is doing with the help of the talents.
Post edited by idk34 on

Comments

• quo13
    quo13 Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Well first, I'll explain the trees:

Venom: The Damage dealing tree. Venom will probably be the tree that does the best DPS without crits for Sins. Venom tree also focuses on the Dark Mastery and Agony Orbs much more than the other 2 trees.

Edge: The Crit tree. Edge focuses on dealing damage with crits and farther along the tree, Edge focuses on silence and stuns also. Edge focuses on the Physical Mastery and Blast Orbs much more than the other 2 trees.

Shadow: The tree for PK. This tree focuses highly on evasion, stealth, and movement speed. It also focuses on skill spamming. The Shadow tree doesn't focus purely on either Dark or Physical Mastery, and also doesn't focus purely on either Agony or Blast Orbs.

My personal experience: So far, I think that the Stealth tree is doing pretty well because of their Active tier 3 skill, Swift Evasion, but I think that the other trees will be doing better once the lvl cap is raised.
    [SIGPIC]There is no good or evil, only power and those too weak to seek it. [/SIGPIC]
    Proud Member of Black Card Nation
    IGNs: Kikazu ~ Yasashi
    Classes: Assassin ~ Priest
    Lvl: Doesn't matter atm
  • ninjaa13
    ninjaa13 Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    its hard to choose ill be PKing later in game but idk how i kill the perszon id just lick quick kills could you posibly help me 2?
  • evilvanger
    evilvanger Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    What do you think about hybrid build to take all the best, but not high, from all trees?
  • aneramon
    aneramon Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    evilvanger wrote: »
    What do you think about hybrid build to take all the best, but not high, from all trees?

I've been playing for a week now, and I've been considering a hybrid Venom/Edge build. the idea is that I'll be generating constant Agony and Blast Orbs from Gouge / Thrust of Pain / Throat Seal, and with the heightened debuff ability of Nightmare Termination, the few hits that do land on you will be weakened.

Should be interesting on bosses.

Later on, though, Edge/Shadow looks like it'd be more useful.
  • edi
    edi Posts: 339 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    dont go hyb...
  • quo13
    quo13 Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    edi wrote: »
    dont go hyb...

Lol why? Unlike the other classes, Assassins don't get countless new skills as they go farther down their tree and this class will probably use both it's masteries either way. Imo, the best tree to go pure with would be Venom for the Seed of Agony, but Edge and Shadow don't look that great at the end.
    [SIGPIC]There is no good or evil, only power and those too weak to seek it. [/SIGPIC]
    Proud Member of Black Card Nation
    IGNs: Kikazu ~ Yasashi
    Classes: Assassin ~ Priest
    Lvl: Doesn't matter atm
  • nightwolf200
    nightwolf200 Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    im using the venom tree right now which i like for the agony orbs. i might try the other trees when fw does the wipe for p4 :/
    [SIGPIC]sora[/SIGPIC]
    "That's not true! The heart may be weak, and sometimes it may even give in. But I've learned that deep down, there's a light that never goes out!"

IGN: slayernight
    Race/Class: Kindred Assassin

One of the last players that was in the defunct guild Wolfpack.
  • shadowegasm
    shadowegasm Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Advise Edge/Shadow spec for pvp, at 40 i was 0/13/8. Haven't been playing latest BETA really, to lazy.
    At 70 my build was looking at about 0/37/14 or somewhere there abouts. Those end tree edge talents are tasty. Even if the skill sucks ****.
    Oh, and i'm human.
    RageQuit- Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
    Shadowe- RageQuit Officer/Recruiter
    Shadowe L4X Human Assassin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ryukage
    ryukage Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Pure Edge is the best PvP tree at Lv50 and beyond. Most chances to crit, most chances to silence and stun.
  • tergola
    tergola Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    evilvanger wrote: »

If you take a piece of each build you will take only the poor part of them, since the best part is aways in the end.

In 90% of the games, full/half hybrid sucks.
    Metallica FTW!!!!
  • nightwolf200
    nightwolf200 Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    tergola wrote: »
    If you take a piece of each build you will take only the poor part of them, since the best part is aways in the end.

In 90% of the games, full/half hybrid sucks.

agreed. thats why im just doing pure venom
    [SIGPIC]sora[/SIGPIC]
    "That's not true! The heart may be weak, and sometimes it may even give in. But I've learned that deep down, there's a light that never goes out!"

IGN: slayernight
    Race/Class: Kindred Assassin

One of the last players that was in the defunct guild Wolfpack.
  • auyong8809
    auyong8809 Posts: 11
    edited February 2011
    quo13 wrote: »
    Well first, I'll explain the trees:

Venom: The Damage dealing tree. Venom will probably be the tree that does the best DPS without crits for Sins. Venom tree also focuses on the Dark Mastery and Agony Orbs much more than the other 2 trees.

Edge: The Crit tree. Edge focuses on dealing damage with crits and farther along the tree, Edge focuses on silence and stuns also. Edge focuses on the Physical Mastery and Blast Orbs much more than the other 2 trees.

Shadow: The tree for PK. This tree focuses highly on evasion, stealth, and movement speed. It also focuses on skill spamming. The Shadow tree doesn't focus purely on either Dark or Physical Mastery, and also doesn't focus purely on either Agony or Blast Orbs.

My personal experience: So far, I think that the Stealth tree is doing pretty well because of their Active tier 3 skill, Swift Evasion, but I think that the other trees will be doing better once the lvl cap is raised.

nice..
  • espawndeil
    espawndeil Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Disagrees with stealth as pvp tree personally I'm running on venom lurking strike from stealth (yeah I know it's slow) but this VERY nice damage :D
  • amradio
    amradio Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    espawndeil wrote: »
    Disagrees with stealth as pvp tree personally I'm running on venom lurking strike from stealth (yeah I know it's slow) but this VERY nice damage :D

I think he means stealth is more of a PK tree...which is slightly different than pvp. Looking at the skills i'd be inclined to agree..as the stealth tree ups your evasion/move speed/stealth abilities. Basically it allows you to gank and get away much faster than the other trees. Also the evade/run skill is very handy if you get jumped while killing some mobs or whatever.

Here's how I would break it down:

Shadow: I'll agree and call it a PK tree. If you're running around the pvp server, this is a handy tree to have because of its skill spam and escape skills. If you want to pk and gank ppl all day, its a good place to start. And if you fail at ganking you have some skills to get you out of there in a hurry. This is stealth heavy, so if you're impatient and want to run in and kill ppl..dont pick this tree.

Edge: Stuns, Silence, and Crits. This is a pure dps build via raw power while (hopefully) preventing the enemy from hitting you much..if at all. Instead of spamming skills like the shadow build, you rely on stuns and crits to get your opponent eating dirt. IMO its great for light armor classes and casters, not so much for heavy armor dudes. Unless you have some seriously haxxed weapons, they'll just have too much hp/physical resistance for you to bring down swiftly. Stuns are great for kiters and Silence is lovely for pesky mages. If you plan to arena/duel..this is definitely viable.

Venom: The poor neglected Venom tree. Venom probably has the most DPS potential out of the 3 builds, because of its DoTs and debuffs. Not only will you be bringing the pain with your daggers, but you'll essentially debuff the target to "easy kill" mode. Heavy armor dudes are no longer out of reach with Venom, as your skills will tear away their protection. The numbers wont be as high as Edge, but the overall damage will probably be higher. As this is a debuff/dot tree, you do have to use your brain a bit to make it work. Once you do get it to work, you can potentially kill just about anyone. I personally recommend this for arena/duels over the other two.

In the end this is what I would recommend:

If you are a new player, or new to rogue classes, go edge. Its the easiest to figure out and play, and even if you **** up a bit your damage wont tank. IMO its the most linear tree out of the three, although all of them are linear compared to other classes.

If you're an experienced player, or rogue player, than pick whichever one best suits your style based off what I just said.
  • espawndeil
    espawndeil Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Actually having said that it seems quite accurate I would agree evasion abilities are HIGHLY usefull however from what I've seen that tree really lacks any damage output assasins need to be a quick kill and disappear again :/

Would also like to say warriors seem to be the people I'm up against most and the venom tree is so helpfull there the only problem I have with it is Lurking Strikes speed is counter productive to maintaining a high dps so at this point I can only open with it can anyone give me a heads up on gouge's speed?
  • storiessaveus87
    storiessaveus87 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    So Venom has the highest damage potential? I wanted to try Venom on my sin after looking at the trees, but a lot of people have been telling me that Edge is much better for damage. People seem to think Venom's a pretty useless tree. :(
  • creolegamer
    creolegamer Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    So Venom has the highest damage potential? I wanted to try Venom on my sin after looking at the trees, but a lot of people have been telling me that Edge is much better for damage. People seem to think Venom's a pretty useless tree. :(

i have a feeling that venom sins just might out shine the other sin trees end game.........but thats jus judging on what i've read in the forums but i honestly dont know wat tree i wanna play because all seem pretty much pvp oriented:confused:
  • amradio
    amradio Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    espawndeil wrote: »
    Actually having said that it seems quite accurate I would agree evasion abilities are HIGHLY usefull however from what I've seen that tree really lacks any damage output assasins need to be a quick kill and disappear again :/

Would also like to say warriors seem to be the people I'm up against most and the venom tree is so helpfull there the only problem I have with it is Lurking Strikes speed is counter productive to maintaining a high dps so at this point I can only open with it can anyone give me a heads up on gouge's speed?

If you actually read the shadow skills carefully you'll notice that it gives you crazy amounts of orbs and reduced cooldowns on finishers. There also skills that remove cooldowns altogether. While it doesn't directly increase your dmg you can potentially spam skills/finishers like crazy. Shadow gives you the most attack speed and combo potential, and so its strength is speed over raw power. An added plus is more survivability. Make no mistake, shadow can cut through clothies/light armor classes pretty quick. You wont be able to faze warriors, but thats not the point of being shadow.

Shadow means = run from warriors/prots that can kill you, and kill everything else. It has awesome skills for runners and kiters too.

@ everyone else: Venom does have the most dps potential simply because heavy armor wont be a factor with all the hp reduce and DoTs. The downside to Venom is that you lose the survivability/skill spam of shadow and the stuns/silences/crits of Edge. You dont need those really, you'll just have to play a bit differently.
  • Lykanos - Illyfue
    Lykanos - Illyfue Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Venom Assasin Rulz
  • Abanie - Storm Legion
    Abanie - Storm Legion Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    i have a feeling that venom sins just might out shine the other sin trees end game.........but thats jus judging on what i've read in the forums but i honestly dont know wat tree i wanna play because all seem pretty much pvp oriented:confused:

I’m a venom sin and the Venom tree is actually quite useful. In a boss fight the whole group benefits from the de-buff u get from NT enabling them to do more damage during the short amount of time (5 secs aprox) it is active. With PoN maxed u can use NT aprox 4 times give or take with max agony orbs before it consumes them all. I’m only lvl 43 so this is the only amount of info I can give from my exp. Hope this was useful.
  • BlackLove - Eyrda
    BlackLove - Eyrda Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Right now, i'm almost full venom, with 8 points in dark. I was full venom before, but when i did arena i saw that i need more for pvp than just dps to survive. I'm going back to full at lvl 65, to get the best skill, that will rule in both pve and pvp.
  • Sugarboy - Eyrda
    Sugarboy - Eyrda Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited July 2011
  • Sugarboy - Eyrda
    Sugarboy - Eyrda Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited July 2011