Basic Bard Guide

deathbunny
deathbunny Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2012 in Bard Discussion
Hello, and welcome to my basic Bard guide. Here I'll help introduce this unique class and give an overview of the class.

DISCLAIMER: I do not claim to be an expert in this class and this guide is to simply inform new (and possibly old) players of the class and how it works. Feel free to critique or add anything I've missed.

I N T R O D U C T I O N
bard01.png
Level 40 Bard in Lunagrant Woodland

The Bard is one of the party's greatest assets. What they lack in power they make up with their mysterious tunes. An average group may become a great one with the help of a Bard. They are able to buff their party members, debuff the enemy, and heal their fallen allies in battle.

Only the Elf is able to become a Bard. Their race specialty skills are: Blessings of the Elves and Natural Extraction.

S C O R E S H E E T . S Y S T E M
Bards utilize a unique Scoresheet system which allows them to cast buffs according to the chords played. There are three chords available to the Bard; C from Chord of Wind, D from Chord of Water, and E from Chord of Light.

In order for a Bard to buff themselves or their allies they are required to be in combat and be in the same party (unless you choose a particular talent that allows you to cast them otherwise).
scoresheet.png
A: Chords being played
B: Active buffs with duration; mouse over notes for buff description

S K I L L S
Bard Skill List
For a list of Bard skills please refer to the link above.

T A L E N T . T R E E S
The talent tree helps players improve the effects of their current skill and/or add other effects. You are able to start allocating points at level 20 with one point per level after that.

You can reset your talent points via Talent Compass you get from your level 20 box which lasts for 30 days. Or you can get another by gaining 60 achievement points. Of course there is a possibility that it will also be available in the cash shop.

There are three possible talent builds you can invest points in to customize your Bard.
talentsj.png
Part of the Bard's talent tree. Please ignore the stat points invested in it. ^^;

Wind:
Focuses on supporting their team members by adding resistance and speed buffs as well as removing negative buffs.
Water:
Aids in supporting their party by directly attacking enemies as well as casting status ailments such as freeze and slow.
Light:
Supports their team by healing.

I will not get into detail about each build here as this is only to provide a basic overview of the class. Maybe later I will make my own personal build guide but that is for another time.

G A M E P L A Y
Bards are not the biggest damage dealers in-game but they certainly do not lack power. You are able to increase your damage via various buffs and depending on how you place your talent points, be able to slow your enemy down to a point where they are at a stand still while you throw your magic.

But because they are required to be in combat to be able to buff you will soon learn that you are constantly in need of MP. When you start twisting (activating several buffs at a time) your MP plummets even further.
solo01.png
Allowing my pet to tank for me while I stay safe at a distance.

Solo
Solo play is possible and not slow but you will want a good tank/damage pet. Damage may not be an issue but defense certainly is. You will either want to send a pet out before you attack or learn to kite. Though personally I find kiting to be a bother as our range is a bit odd; we're not melee but we're not "long" range either. You look to be far enough but the enemy is still able to damage you.

This part all depends on your own personal play style so get out there and get to know your Bard. Though a pet is still highly recommended!

Party
You are the life of the party. Not because you play music but your buffs certainly help the party get things done fast. Something important to note is that at level 30 you will be flagged as a healer. So before you start registering for instances be sure to buy your AoE heal, Sonata of Life. Whether you are a Water Bard or a Wind Bard, get this skill and use it.

When in instances determine whether the boss casts an AoE or not. If it does, also look for the timing. If you know that the Priest or a Vampire is capable of healing the tank then save your healing for when the boss casts the AoE. I generally look at the party and if 3 or more (depends on situation of course) members are damaged I will cast my AoE. Otherwise I will allow the Priest or Vampire to heal. This lessens the MP cost with spamming the heal unnecessarily. You will be able to save your healing for when it matters and concentrate on keeping your buffs alive.

P R O F E S S I O N S
There are many professions you can choose from in the game. Some are automatic while others you will have to pick and choose from. At the very beginning you will be given Botany, Alchemy, and Cooking. These are very important. While you can buy potions or foods from NPCs they are not even half as good as the ones you are able to make.

Be sure to keep a good stock of MP potions (as well as foods) before entering instances and/or fighting bosses. As I've mentioned before you will be using up a LOT of it. You will also want to keep a moderate stock of HP potions for emergencies. The AoE heal will attract a lot of aggro and sometimes you'll be looking at a wave of minions heading your way.

As for the rest of the professions, pick what you think will suit you. If you are playing with friends or with a guild you can decide on who does what to compliment each other as there are limited number of job points available.
bard02.png
Farming some Violet Roses inbetween mobs.

C L O S I N G
Hopefully you were able to learn a few things about this class. I personally enjoy this class if not for its unique gameplay, their awesome armour and hats. Especially their hats.
Post edited by deathbunny on

cz47.gif
Post in the right section and maybe you'll get the help you seek.

[ Guide Index | Search | PWE Support ]

Comments

• tolichan
    tolichan Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited December 2010
  • chaosheart27
    chaosheart27 Posts: 1,233 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Very nice guide =) I hope more than just bards to be read this. I'm so glad you put the importance of getting your AoE heal at level 30. I hope that maybe people who don't like playing support and healing will decide if this is a good class for them... and I hope and pray more bards will realize the importance of carrying potions (Health and mana) I wish more people would realize that though in any race/class combination.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Art done by Apple, Sig by Neoyoshi *Much ♥*

My ♥ Belongs to Forseti.
    Honor has not to be won; it must only not be lost.
    *Playing since Phase 1/Day 1*
  • woefieke
    woefieke Posts: 22
    edited December 2010
    I find it a very very good basic overview of the bard. Good for the people who want to know a bit of the bard. If you ever make an advanced guide i am willing to help ;)
  • selmaurs
    selmaurs Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Many thanks for this guide! I now realise that Bard can be either healer or DD, that's awesome. Have to deciode yet as I'm lvl 19.
  • merilwen
    merilwen Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Really nice guide and screenies :3

I know for sure now I'll be a light bard :)

also a small question :x I noticed mana is quite an issue for clerics at lower lvls in pwi, the pots can't keep up with the use.
    Can pots/crafted pots keep up with the mana use for bards also at lower lvls?
    ~rawr
  • ipeonrocks1
    ipeonrocks1 Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Wow, looks very neat and appealing. You didn't overdo the fonts and colors. Good job.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    IGN: Gob
    Race: Human
    Class: Warrior
  • chaoticshelly
    chaoticshelly Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Very well structured guide. Makes me want to make a Bard now, as well.
  • deathbunny
    edited January 2011
    selmaurs wrote: »
    Many thanks for this guide! I now realise that Bard can be either healer or DD, that's awesome. Have to deciode yet as I'm lvl 19.
    You can be either but in an instance you will need to play the role of a healer regardless of talent build. The game recognizes all Bards level 30 and up to be healers.
    merilwen wrote: »
    Really nice guide and screenies :3

I know for sure now I'll be a light bard :)

also a small question :x I noticed mana is quite an issue for clerics at lower lvls in pwi, the pots can't keep up with the use.
    Can pots/crafted pots keep up with the mana use for bards also at lower lvls?
    Yup, more or less. As long as you have them in stock. My recommendation is to always make your own potions. They recover a lot more than ones sold by NPC and cost a lot less. All it takes is just time going around collecting the mats but you can do that while doing quests and such.

Another important thing is to try to keep up-to-date MP potions. If you are level 30 you'd want to be using level 30 pots, at least in my opinion. Until they do something about the MP consumption of skills you will be needing quite a bit of it when you are keeping up buffs in the party.

cz47.gif

• merilwen
    merilwen Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Thanks a lot for the reply ^^ even more excited to play now I head that :)

I'm really looking forward to being able to play FW ^_^
    ~rawr
  • roxas90210
    roxas90210 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    so what path would i chose if i wanted to go DD?
  • deathbunny
    edited January 2011
    You would be looking at the Water tree.

cz47.gif

• inevergiveup
    inevergiveup Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    deathbunny i got a few personal questions i guess.

1: what bard build are you?

2: on your opinion of bard so far do u believe that a pro bard of any talent could beat a pro warrior or protector in a 1v1.

3: do u have to buy the speed buff skills for bards?

4: can wind bards use speed buffs on themselves when not in a party?

5: which gems would u recommend socketing into the bards equipment
  • chaosheart27
    chaosheart27 Posts: 1,233 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Speed buffs are fun to use and yes you can use them on yourself when not in a group =)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Art done by Apple, Sig by Neoyoshi *Much ♥*

My ♥ Belongs to Forseti.
    Honor has not to be won; it must only not be lost.
    *Playing since Phase 1/Day 1*
  • deathbunny
    edited January 2011
    I'm a Water Bard. If you want to see my talents I can post a screen later, I'm not at my computer right now.

I'm not very good at PvP (and that's being generous) but if a pro Bard was to beat a Warrior I'd think only the Water Bard will be capable of it... maybe the Wind, don't think Light can, but they would probably lack overall damage. The biggest drawback for a Bard in a 1v1 is the need for us to be in combat first to cast buffs. So by the time we get ideal firepower we'd probably be half way towards our deathbed. That's my opinion with minimal PvP experience so someone else might be able to give you a better idea.

I think Bards will shine in group PvP but not when they are the focus of attention

Yes, and yes for the speed buffs. Like chaos said it's fun. I like to cast right as the tank goes to gather mobs.. cause they're bulky and slow. =)

I would recommend HP gems at the least. We're definitely squishy and more so as a Water or Wind type. I also embed attack gems because I like damage. If I was to fill all 4 sockets it'd be HP, attack, MP, and maybe crit damage. But really it's up to you what you like most.

cz47.gif

• inevergiveup
    inevergiveup Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    o wow thank you for that info. in some games there is not much hope for a lot of classes in pvp but with the info im receiving includin the basic overview from u deathbunny, im seeing that damage isnt always everything. i would love to see a screen of ur talent when you can plz and thank you
  • deathbunny
    edited January 2011
    It's hard to really give accurate info in regards to PvP because everyone has their own 'style'... I plan on trying out PvP when I've gotten at least half of what I want through talents.

Here's mine so far:
    talentwater.png

So far I've concentrated on minimizing cooldowns on Chord of Wind/Water and reducing MP usage of the attack skills. 45+ is when I can finally start getting to the "meat" of my talents. Which will focus on MP drain and freeze. As well as maximizing my damage.

I usually play an archer-like class so I like to attack quickly (hence the reduced cooldown) and do a good amount of damage at th same time. With the reduced cooldown I am also able to play up to 3 songs (usually two party and one self buff) which does what a Water Bard is supposed to do: support the party by dealing damage. Though it is rather MP heavy... hopefully that will be somewhat fixed when they adjust the MP cost of skills.

cz47.gif

• makostar2011
    makostar2011 Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Very cool. The Bard seems like a very interesting Class to play. Don't see it very often in other RPGs, either.

Nice Guide, however, I would have liked it to have a little more reading.
    Thanks for posting this for everyone!
  • sinnersrangels
    sinnersrangels Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    deathbunny wrote: »
    I'm a Water Bard. If you want to see my talents I can post a screen later, I'm not at my computer right now.

I'm not very good at PvP (and that's being generous) but if a pro Bard was to beat a Warrior I'd think only the Water Bard will be capable of it... maybe the Wind, don't think Light can, but they would probably lack overall damage. The biggest drawback for a Bard in a 1v1 is the need for us to be in combat first to cast buffs. So by the time we get ideal firepower we'd probably be half way towards our deathbed. That's my opinion with minimal PvP experience so someone else might be able to give you a better idea.

I think Bards will shine in group PvP but not when they are the focus of attention

Yes, and yes for the speed buffs. Like chaos said it's fun. I like to cast right as the tank goes to gather mobs.. cause they're bulky and slow. =)

I would recommend HP gems at the least. We're definitely squishy and more so as a Water or Wind type. I also embed attack gems because I like damage. If I was to fill all 4 sockets it'd be HP, attack, MP, and maybe crit damage. But really it's up to you what you like most.

I agree that Water Bard would be the best to against a warrior or any heavy armored class. Wind could probably win if they could get their buffs up quickly... Like killing a mob just before the fight and getting 2 C cords in place first, and by the time you enter the battle you just need the final cord. This will make it easier to do more damage, or slow effect, or speed boost to get a distance on your enemy. Just my imput.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MY CB2 SKILL ICON
  • deathbunny
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, like I said biggest drawback is the time it takes to activate your buff. Once they are up then it could be anyone's game -- maybe. If you want to participate in PvP of some form I highly recommend lowering CD on Chord of Wind and Water as I have done. Then practice picking up orbs and you're good to go.

I'm also in the works of bringing an in-depth guide with walls of text soon. So more reading then.

cz47.gif

• sinnersrangels
    sinnersrangels Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    deathbunny wrote: »
    Yeah, like I said biggest drawback is the time it takes to activate your buff. Once they are up then it could be anyone's game -- maybe. If you want to participate in PvP of some form I highly recommend lowering CD on Chord of Wind and Water as I have done. Then practice picking up orbs and you're good to go.

I'm also in the works of bringing an in-depth guide with walls of text soon. So more reading then.

Awesome. Thank you for the advice. Ill be on the lookout for your guide.

Sincerely,

sinnersRangels
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MY CB2 SKILL ICON
  • lmendoza06
    lmendoza06 Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    nice thread! very helpful for new players who wants to know about this class :)
    All Men Are Created Equal
  • Rathal - Illyfue
    Rathal - Illyfue Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I just started my bard and it's really fun so far. :)
  • kileihana
    kileihana Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I was in a fort rotuler instance and a 23 bard insists on tanking. I was higher level than him, so sometimes I end up tanking, but I assumed that bards are not made to tank. Am I right or bard can tank?
  • Caadeence - Lionheart
    Caadeence - Lionheart Posts: 371 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    kileihana wrote: »
    I was in a fort rotuler instance and a 23 bard insists on tanking. I was higher level than him, so sometimes I end up tanking, but I assumed that bards are not made to tank. Am I right or bard can tank?
    Bard is not a tank class if that's what you are asking. But all classes can tank to a certain level, depending on mobs, pots, etc etc..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cloudsong - Eyrda
    Cloudsong - Eyrda Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    bards don't tank bosses period. Cuz they need time to bring up buffs. heals etc. so they cant be put into the line of fire RIGHT AWAY but small mobs in instances yeah u can solo those just fine since u can heal just enough to make up for it
  • Reeca - Illyfue
    Reeca - Illyfue Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    lols BARD's dont tank? i know we arnt supose to but doesnt matter what instance i go into i always ending up to be the BOSS TANK what ever i like it or not ( and never died so far ) no idea what im doing but ppl just cant keep the agro against me so im always ending up tanking lol.
  • deathbunny
    edited April 2011
    Kind of depends on what you are tanking. I mean, they're not made to tank or anything like that but doesn't really mean they can't. Especially if it's something lower level than you, lol.

I'd prefer a Protector or a Warrior tank on any given day but sometimes it's okay for Bards to step up to the plate. Water Bards tend to fair well enough in that role due to their damage reduction buff. Also, it doesn't take that long to get buffs up...

BUT! If you don't know what you're doing don't do it... you'll just end up wiping your party. Support first, DD second, and tank if/when situation says no one else can.

cz47.gif

• SeedsHorizon - Storm Legion
    SeedsHorizon - Storm Legion Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Great guide Helped alot :D. Also, for the solo part the word you are looking for is "mid range" Not long range nor close combat, but in the middle . ^_^.
  • Sorrowsong - Lionheart
    Sorrowsong - Lionheart Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Thankyou, the quick overview of the talent trees was really useful as i was unsure of which tree i needed to use for my preferred playing style.
    Love helping out :3
    If you ask nicely (using correct english) i might make you a signature :P

PS: I am a guy.

[SIGPIC]http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/100/7/1/717a6cf0ef408a7a988ab6fd19435d4f-d3dn022.png[/SIGPIC]
  • yenyoju
    yenyoju Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Nice guide, but as a Level 40 bard now at the time of writing I'm still astounded at the amount of bards around that still don't know how to stack the songs in the correct order so i think perhaps this should be covered also (yes basic i know, but many don't seem to get it!) :

The main buffs being :

COURAGE (Play in any order C-C-E i.e Wind-Wind-Light)

Gives a nice attack boost for all party members, in a party you should be creating this as it is running out so it never wears off.

MAJESTY (Play in any order D-D-E i.e Water-Water-Light)

Obtained a little later, but essential and greatly helps everyones tanking/damage mitigation, thus also meaning your going to need to heal that little bit less

SURGE (Play in any order C-C-D i.e Wind-Wind-Water)

Slightly more potent self-only attack up buff than Courage, but stacks with courage thus you can hit some nice +400-500 attack up buff with them combined.

It is very simple to stack these three in the orderlisted without breaking a sweat!

Don't forget that "Sonata of Life" also produces a E chord, so with that in mind you can beat the cooldown timers a little by using that to produce the E chord in a CCE or DDE combo.

I do wish that in parties where I've been in a group with another bard that they would share the task of the group buffs, i.e one of you doing Courage and the other Majesty - Teamwork guys - and mana conservation works wonders, leaving you both time to do other things! I guess i can only dream, party chat tends to be "hi" and not much more in the pick-up parties...

Gem slots

MP GEMS!

Should be amassed and placed on your gear. Your going to need all that mana for the longer boss fights. Plus, the more base mana you have, the more effective your MP drain ability will be, "Natural Extinction".

I've gone for a MP stone in EVERY piece of my gear, but only because ive refined mine to +6 for two slots in each, if i had only 1 slot per gear, it would be a different story

ATTACK! & DEFENSE!

You get at least 2 Ragefire gems from questing by the time your 35, a level 1 and 2 version, so get those on your gear asap. As money allows, you should think about upgrading these.

Defense gems are also well worth the use of a slot, and are fairly cheap compared to say ragefires, and well worth socketing.

The other gems well, "hmmm" is all i say! Again, my humble opinion, and things like critical gems i would suggest are more suited to the assasins and protectors etc pure melee than our class, but there's nothing stopping you!

Personally on this I've gone 50/50 on attack/defense stones for the secondary gem slots on my gear rather than all out on one, but i think this is a personal choice!