PVP - As bad as it sounds?

stacyraven
stacyraven Posts: 0 Arc User
edited December 2010 in General Discussion
I've been playing for a couple of weeks now and have been concentrating on trying out the different classes to see which I enjoy the most. I don't get much time to play because of work and RL responsibilities, so my highest character right now is only lv 27. Here's my question: What's the PVP like? Is the PKing bad? Can you "turn off" the PVP options? ...I guess that's three questions. lol

The reason I ask is because I've recently quit playing Aion because of virtual inability to get quests done - the constant PKing. It really sucks to get ganked over and over again by players MUCH higher than you. It makes questing difficult and extremely frustrating and when you are constantly being PKed while trying to do your quests it just makes the game infinitely less enjoyable.

After hearing from an in-game friend that PKing became an issue in this game after lv 30 it got me worried. I have so far really been enjoying the game and very much hope that the PVP isn't HORRIBLE. Can you guys shed some light on what you think of the PVP in this game and if it interferes a great deal with questing or getting things done? Or is to too early in the game to really tell?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to shed some light on this. It's something that really has me worried. I've never been so frustrated with a game as when I played Aion and kept getting PKed while trying to get quests done and I really hope this game is not like that - as I love this game so far and don't want it to be ruined for me by jerks who like to go around killing people much lower level than they are.
Post edited by stacyraven on
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Fully alive ♥ More than most ♥ Ready to smile and love life ~Flyleaf

Comments

• fugufriendly
    fugufriendly Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    stacyraven wrote: »
    I've been playing for a couple of weeks now and have been concentrating on trying out the different classes to see which I enjoy the most. I don't get much time to play because of work and RL responsibilities, so my highest character right now is only lv 27. Here's my question: What's the PVP like? Is the PKing bad? Can you "turn off" the PVP options? ...I guess that's three questions. lol

The reason I ask is because I've recently quit playing Aion because of virtual inability to get quests done - the constant PKing. It really sucks to get ganked over and over again by players MUCH higher than you. It makes questing difficult and extremely frustrating and when you are constantly being PKed while trying to do your quests it just makes the game infinitely less enjoyable.

After hearing from an in-game friend that PKing became an issue in this game after lv 30 it got me worried. I have so far really been enjoying the game and very much hope that the PVP isn't HORRIBLE. Can you guys shed some light on what you think of the PVP in this game and if it interferes a great deal with questing or getting things done? Or is to too early in the game to really tell?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to shed some light on this. It's something that really has me worried. I've never been so frustrated with a game as when I played Aion and kept getting PKed while trying to get quests done and I really hope this game is not like that - as I love this game so far and don't want it to be ruined for me by jerks who like to go around killing people much lower level than they are.

i am sure pwe will release this games both on pvp and pve servers,so you
    can just join the pve server and enjoy the game

pking innocent players gives the pker penalty points increasing his chances of dropping items
    you can turn off pvp options in pve servers only

this are all based on what i have read and heard,but it makes lot of sense for pwe to make pve servers because lot of us hate being ganked too specially while questing and minding our own business PVE lover:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stacyraven
    edited December 2010
    Thanks, fugufriendly! I really hope you're right. I would love a PVE server where one could turn off the PVP options. Here's hoping that PWE will implement that. :) *Crosses Fingers*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • melnii
    melnii Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    It's open PK, there is no 'turn off PK/PvP mode' button, and anyone can gank you (wether they're level 30 or level 100) in the open world (there are safe zones in towns). But I think there will be a PvE server (in OB?) so it doesn't matter, you can just join that server. :]

So far I've been ganked by a couple of people (one time someone spawn camped me as my spawn point was not in a safe zone and right next to him (that was so noob. -.- And why the hell are spawn points not in safe zones?) when I was just minding my own bussiness, not paying attention so they had an easy kill (I know who you are, and yes I heard you claiming you own everyone so bad bragging ingame and on the forums - well that's easy when you kill lower levels who are BUSY doing something else, no reason to be proud of yourself -.-) but it's not as bad as some people make it seem, I can still quest normally and even go AFK for a while and find my character still being alive when I come back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This is Onomatomania, my avatar thing is messed up.
  • bunnypirates
    bunnypirates Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Once I was standing afk in Sea of Oblivion for about 15 minutes while I was eating, and nobody had PK'd me. I was surprised, because usually people PK you when you least expect it. When I did the merchant caravan quest for the first time, this person followed me from FH to the point where I was supposed to go, and when I was talking to the npc she killed me and said ''Sorry, I hate merchants''. That sorta proves how bad they are. If they can't kill someone in a fair fight, well, I wouldn't go bragging with my ''skills''.

Ah well, I usually walk around with a friend, so at least there's someone watching my back. xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

*CB1 player, herp-a-derp.*
    forsakenworldart.deviantart.comJOIN
    Retired; playing a game called life. O:
  • olddog
    olddog Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Well I'm not in game yet so I can't say anything from personal experience but it's funny reading the posts from the pk'ers whining about the pk penalty system being unfair and how white named players are griefing them for being pk'ers.

I'm disappointed that the game allows you to be pked while talking to an npc that was one of AOC big fails.

One of the best bets for avoiding being pked in most mmo's is to join a guild, while most pk'ers like to annoy individuals few want a whole guild after them. This works best if the guild has a rep for protecting it's members. Also have an alt that you can play if someone tries to camp your main or is blocking you from finishing a quest.

While I enjoy PVP I dislike PK. The difference is fighting players who are expecting a fight for a purpose as opposed to killing someone who isn't expecting it just to mess with them. To date the best PVP system I've seen has been in WAR where outside of PVP lakes and scenarios their was no PVP so you could do your PVE stuff unmolested and jump into PVP when ever you wanted.

From what I've read on the pk system in this game all white named players lose is time while red named players can lose items. So play have fun and try to shrug off the occasional pk. If pking becomes common place then you may want to change games. Also I suspect that pking might be at it's worst in cb3 and 4 because those characters will be wiped so players wont worry as much about having a bad rep as they can just change their name come ob and start over.
  • thivus
    thivus Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    ''Sorry, I hate merchants''

.....Whaaa?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    race/Class:Kindred Vampire | Stoneman protector
    Ingame name:MercuryLaumpe | Thivus
  • xsurticx
    xsurticx Posts: 443 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    PKers are just scrubs who get their kicks out of killing people who can't fight back or are weaker then them.

I'll bet money any major pvp guild has little to no pkers (outside of pking people from rival guilds like RQ pking PI and PI pking RQ and such). If they do, they probably don't last long in that guild.

If you like fighting other people, duel or get a guild and pvp. If you like pissing people off, you're just a scrub.
    Ragequit Non-factor
    Kurokona: 40 Priest
  • onestarz
    onestarz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    xsurticx wrote: »
    PKers are just scrubs who get their kicks out of killing people who can't fight back or are weaker then them.

I'll bet money any major pvp guild has little to no pkers (outside of pking people from rival guilds like RQ pking PI and PI pking RQ and such). If they do, they probably don't last long in that guild.

If you like fighting other people, duel or get a guild and pvp. If you like pissing people off, you're just a scrub.

heyeheyhey leave duels out of there... it is a match of HONOR! m149.gif

plus most of the time dueling is a friendly match.. i remember the other day there was a huge fight going on outside the sea of oblivion (i was watching cuz i was undergeared xD no way in hell i was gona live) but hey once it was over i wound up just dueling a bunch of people... i won a few and lost a few.. sometimes i won really good and other times i got my *** handed to me xD but i like dueling.. its fair and nobody has anything to lose unless they make a bet lol.. it also shows individual skill which i think is more important than group skill, not to say that working in a group is bad though xP
    No longer participating in FW
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am a Master Healer. But all Masters still have much to learn.
  • thivus
    edited December 2010
    I don't think you comprehended what he said properly. He said if you want to PVP you should duel, not go around PKing people trying to quest who have done nothing to provoke your attack. He didn't say dueling was bad ._.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • onestarz
    edited December 2010
    thivus wrote: »
    I don't think you comprehended what he said properly. He said if you want to PVP you should duel, not go around PKing people trying to quest who have done nothing to provoke your attack. He didn't say dueling was bad ._.

lmao... i totaly missed the punctuation marks there....

my bad.. xD..*hides* <.< >.>
    m162.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• thivus
    edited December 2010
    onestarz wrote: »
    lmao... i totaly missed the punctuation marks there....

my bad.. xD..*hides* <.< >.>
    m162.gif

Meh, we all make foolish mistakes reading things sometimes
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • onestarz
    edited December 2010
    thivus wrote: »
    Meh, we all make foolish mistakes reading things sometimes

im proud of it m159.gif xD....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• rqwater
    rqwater Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I'm a pker, I pk everyone. Cry me a river.
  • onestarz
    edited December 2010
    rqwater wrote: »
    I'm a pker, I pk everyone. Cry me a river.

yea but your an exception for having no heart xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• heroicfish
    heroicfish Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited December 2010

You might as well just find a new game.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

The sensation was scissors and too much to scream,
    so instead I just started to laugh.
  • razgrim
    razgrim Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    No matter what you're into you want to join a pvp server. This is coming from a largely experienced MMORPG player who's tried all sorts of games and in-game concentrations. When it comes down to it (in general) the good players join the PvP servers, and the wimps join the PVEs. People on PvP servers do everything better than those on PvE, including raiding and pve.
    But please, don't join if you're a pathetic idiot. We don't want you watering down the concentration of pro in the PvPs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Art by Linux.
    I give or take life. Your pick.
  • xolu
    xolu Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Once I was standing afk in Sea of Oblivion for about 15 minutes while I was eating, and nobody had PK'd me. I was surprised, because usually people PK you when you least expect it. When I did the merchant caravan quest for the first time, this person followed me from FH to the point where I was supposed to go, and when I was talking to the npc she killed me and said ''Sorry, I hate merchants''. That sorta proves how bad they are. If they can't kill someone in a fair fight, well, I wouldn't go bragging with my ''skills''.

Ah well, I usually walk around with a friend, so at least there's someone watching my back. xD

You can't complain about being PKed during a merchant run. The risk of being PKed is a major element of the merchant run. You are supposed to be careful while doing that quest. Because you fail the quest when you are PKed, it is basically inviting people to kill you.

As a whole, I doubt you will see much PKing going on in OB (apart from merchant runs). Due to equipment durability being lost when you are red name, not many people will PK if they are at risk of breaking their ultra hard to get high level refined gear.

The only people PKing will be cash shoppers who can either afford a second set of expendable armour, or just buy infamy reducing items off the CS (if there are such things).
    IGN: Kiwifruit
  • stacyraven
    edited December 2010
    With the exception of a couple of (I'll be nice) "people", I appreciate the feedback and advice. Thanks for taking the time to leave some feedback. :) I'm looking forward to seeing if their will be a PVE server on OB or at launch.

Thanks again to the NICE individuals who responded and gave some good advice/input. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • poaka
    poaka Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited December 2010

lol i feel your pain im guessing ur ex asmodian??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

In darkness theres always a light to lead the way...

In light, darkness hides in the shadows.....
  • rabid
    rabid Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Well being in the game for forever i can say i've never had any pk problems, while there may have been the occasional random pk, I've never been spawn camped or was inhibited from questing in the slightest. And that was even when everyone was at cap and pking for fun. So I feel as though pking won't be a huge problem though it will happen at times.

On a side note it's always nice to have a decent guild for counter pk/ganking lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bunnypirates
    bunnypirates Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    xolu wrote: »
    You can't complain about being PKed during a merchant run.

I wasn't complaining to be exact... o.o My point was that it's lame to stalk someone and follow them from a safe zone and kill them while they're talking to an npc. Saying it is lame isn't exactly complaining. More like a statement.

Oh but PKers think even saying ''Awww'' is complaining, so I dunno.

But anyway, PKing isn't that big problem at the moment. But when the cash shop (in the OB where people spend their own cash) kicks in... Ohlala. But free PvP is free PvP, and you can't really avoid it unless they make a real PvP protection system/PvE server or realm.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

*CB1 player, herp-a-derp.*
    forsakenworldart.deviantart.comJOIN
    Retired; playing a game called life. O:
  • stacyraven
    edited December 2010
    poaka wrote: »
    lol i feel your pain im guessing ur ex asmodian??

LOL! YES! Is it that obvious? I guess the Asmodian vs Elyos on most servers are pretty unbalanced. Or maybe I just have rotten luck. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lalalina
    lalalina Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Elyos all the way! Js.

Anyways~ PKing isn't so bad atm. Not a lot of people PK so it's all good.
    Just watch out for those sneaky sins. They'll go invisible and attack you from behind.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Guild: Phoenix

Phoenix is too school for cool.
  • ronuble
    ronuble Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    if you had problems with gankers in aion, i dont think you can stand this kind of pvp where you don't even know who is gonna kill you... at least in aion you can identify people of the opposite faction and hide or something if you dont want to fight but here you just don't know if that guy catching butterflyes is thinking about killing you.

Not to flame, really, but i dont' think forsaken is gonna be a friendly enviroment for someone like u.

By the way, in aion killing members from the opposite faction is totally legit... you're not supposed to hug them :P

EDIT to say:my only advice is that if you're gonna play you should get a guild that supports you and try to be in party all the time, that way you can survive a little more
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rabid
    rabid Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    lol while you don't know if people are thinking about killing you...even if they want to, most won't do it, because of the strict pk penalties. Which is why Pking isn't so awful in FW and I don't see it becoming a major issue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.