test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Info thread: the future of closed beta

16791112

Comments

  • nahktinahkti Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Free to play games cannot survive with out some method of creating an income from the game. FTP games have cash shops to generate income so they may stay in business, no income no business, no FTP game.

    If the FTP model isn't satisfactory, then you have the subscription model, everyone pays a monthly fee and its about even in that respect. Some now have both models, subscription and FTP, its a model that some of the big subscription based companies are experimenting with and getting into but its ridiculous to even think a company will ever not have something that generates income for them, most use a cash shop of some form or other and its an item that FTP users have to deal with.

    All true but the question is how is that cash shop handled? I'm happy to pay for items in a game i like but I'm never happy to pay for items that only give a percentage chance of doing what you bought them to do such as upgrading your armour, pets or weapons. PW is no stranger to these kind of items in their other games so I expect to see them here too.
  • joker57joker57 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    tiseku wrote: »
    Phase 4 is not a cbt its an early release basically, and thats complete bull for the people like me who got their key back in july... watch me not get into cbt 3 lmao imma laugh at PWE's failage... especially since Blade&Soul and Tera are going to horrifically swamp you along with Global C9 when its released prolly mid - late 2012.

    c9 IS GOING TO BE THE SHT sorry for PWE but all there games are going to die
  • cheese08cheese08 Posts: 0
    edited November 2010
    i think we should have a more percific date for the phase 3 :P i can get my hopes up for that phase then :P
  • malfor77malfor77 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    cheese08 wrote: »
    i think we should have a more percific date for the phase 3 :P i can get my hopes up for that phase then :P

    sure it will be in the next 2-4 weeks since crabclaw did say phase 3 will immediately begin after phase 2
  • nameisnewnameisnew Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Thanks for the overview of the phases. I do have a question though, so I guess I can post it here instead of clogging up the board with another thread on these matters.

    Are you able to give a time range for when the next Phase of the CBT might open? I'm hoping I manage to make it into that Phase, so it would be awesome to know what to expect. :)
  • ishlandirishlandir Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    nameisnew wrote: »
    Thanks for the overview of the phases. I do have a question though, so I guess I can post it here instead of clogging up the board with another thread on these matters.

    Are you able to give a time range for when the next Phase of the CBT might open? I'm hoping I manage to make it into that Phase, so it would be awesome to know what to expect. :)

    Each phase is scheduled to last 3-4 weeks. Phase 2 has been released November 23, do your maths and you will know when Phase 3 is about to arrive. However I assume the giveaway events will be popping up soon somewhere this week or in the beginning of next week, keep your eyes open as you might win a contest to gain entry to Phase 2 in a later stadium!
    Ishlandir - Member of Empire - Protector

    [SIGPIC]http://i55.tinypic.com/117v2ia.png[/SIGPIC]
  • shauzushauzu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    crabclaw wrote: »
    Phase 4 will launch around late February, or early march at the latest.

    LOL
    tnx 4 the info. now i know, fw is dead for me.
    playin vindictus now :)
  • masterofhentaimasterofhentai Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Question is WHY are we having all these phases? Hell don't we have the Chinese testing things out for us already? Might as well just take it off from them. I mean if the devs are not talking to their Chinese counterparts to help develop the game as a whole you are not doing it right.

    Anyways. Too much testing too much wiping everyone is going to be sick of it by live. Best bet is Phase 3 => Live. Or make it so that Phase 4 is live. You guys can patch over bugs and do server maintenance whenever you please. Most of the players here dealt with your **** before so even when live comes out and you need to make an important update ASAP you can do it. Turn off server update profit.

    BBL looking at new h-games/mmos with more ****/pretty costumes.


    Side Note: For people who mentioned. Good the longer the testing is, the better it is because it will weed out all the immature players (in a nutshell). TBH i think most of the main guilds (at this moment) will leave due to bordom and having to reroll a bunch of times. Which then will lead to another boring game on a boring server.

    Then some nonfactor clan comes along and said they rolled on FW live, but in reality its because they don't have competiton. Since everyone is leaving due to leveling to cap multiple times and then dealing with wipes.
    MasterOfHentai
    HentaiOverlord of NewMaidLand Company
    9000 Weeaboo Ave Ste. 069
    Over The Rainbow, Space 12345
  • nameisnewnameisnew Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    ishlandir wrote: »
    Each phase is scheduled to last 3-4 weeks. Phase 2 has been released November 23, do your maths and you will know when Phase 3 is about to arrive. However I assume the giveaway events will be popping up soon somewhere this week or in the beginning of next week, keep your eyes open as you might win a contest to gain entry to Phase 2 in a later stadium!


    Didn't know any of that, just found this last night, ha. Thanks for the information, it's much appreciated!

    Question is WHY are we having all these phases? Hell don't we have the Chinese testing things out for us already? Might as well just take it off from them. I mean if the devs are not talking to their Chinese counterparts to help develop the game as a whole you are not doing it right.

    Anyways. Too much testing too much wiping everyone is going to be sick of it by live. Best bet is Phase 3 => Live. Or make it so that Phase 4 is live. You guys can patch over bugs and do server maintenance whenever you please. Most of the players here dealt with your **** before so even when live comes out and you need to make an important update ASAP you can do it. Turn off server update profit.

    BBL looking at new h-games/mmos with more ****/pretty costumes.


    Side Note: For people who mentioned. Good the longer the testing is, the better it is because it will weed out all the immature players (in a nutshell). TBH i think most of the main guilds (at this moment) will leave due to bordom and having to reroll a bunch of times. Which then will lead to another boring game on a boring server.

    Then some nonfactor clan comes along and said they rolled on FW live, but in reality its because they don't have competiton. Since everyone is leaving due to leveling to cap multiple times and then dealing with wipes.

    You have a point... Kind of. A certain other game's CBT lasted a long time. I joined and became part of the strongest guild, only one to consistently hit the CBT level cap and was untouchable. After the reset and OB began, that guild died out. It's because we spent so much time and hard work testing the game (And we did test, it wasn't all hardcore leveling. Besides, we were the only ones to the factors for those end levels) and, yes, leveling.

    However, the game is alive and well. In fact, it's growing larger. It was introduced pretty much completely bug-free. So this move should not really kill the game for anyone but those who devote themselves to and get attached to characters.

    Everyone should expect at least one or two wipes to come from a CBT, or else they shouldn't play in a CBT.
  • charlichancharlichan Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    shauzu wrote: »
    LOL
    tnx 4 the info. now i know, fw is dead for me.
    playin vindictus now :)

    I just looked that up, looks sweet and i'm d/l in now. This forum seems to have many issues would be wee taahh deeaad to hang around for this piece of work.
  • melchidecmelchidec Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    When is the Phase 3 Start ?
  • kotegavakotegava Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    ok so there is going to be 1 wipe before the start of CB4 but is there going to be one at the start of OB ?
  • cyraxcyrax Posts: 3
    edited November 2010
    xantauryx wrote: »
    No solutions to your fail system?? mmmmmmm....

    and February? ya.... no thanks, ill be playing anothers good games by now, thanks for nothing crapclaw.

    good bye Failsaken World, and PWF.

    and guys, dont go try LOMA that game sucks, seriuosly dont wasted your time.
    +10 to this guy i feel the same way no difference, LOMA fail, and failsaken world is failing too with the **** CB phases ... n **** selection ive been waiting 2 phases n the randome selection is selecting same ppl n a little more for some dumb reason ... February nope nty im out this game is not worth the wait for so long it will lose more players before the open beta ... they think all these player have all the time .... gl to those in the CB phases n the ones still waiting

    laters . peace
  • lasnowlasnow Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Still people acting like a beta test is a full fledged release. The point of a beta test is to find bugs and to try and break the game.

    I ran into this playing a beta test of an FPS game last year. Me and some other people who took the testing seriously were busy trying to find bugs and break the game. We would try all kinds of things like running on the edge of the map, trying to get stuck on rocks, and trying to do things with the vehicles. You still had some people trying to "play" and acted like it's "game on" when a beta test comes out, but those people are foolish.

    I remember when beta testing ten years ago, if you didn't find and report bugs, you were kicked out of the beta, and rightfully so. A beta test is an invitation to test. You can have game time upon release.

    Anyone complaining about not being able to test a game has some other issues that are beyond the scope of this thread.
  • malfor77malfor77 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    lasnow wrote: »
    Still people acting like a beta test is a full fledged release. The point of a beta test is to find bugs and to try and break the game.

    I ran into this playing a beta test of an FPS game last year. Me and some other people who took the testing seriously were busy trying to find bugs and break the game. We would try all kinds of things like running on the edge of the map, trying to get stuck on rocks, and trying to do things with the vehicles. You still had some people trying to "play" and acted like it's "game on" when a beta test comes out, but those people are foolish.

    I remember when beta testing ten years ago, if you didn't find and report bugs, you were kicked out of the beta, and rightfully so. A beta test is an invitation to test. You can have game time upon release.

    Anyone complaining about not being able to test a game has some other issues that are beyond the scope of this thread.

    well dude its not ten years ago and beta testing isnt the same as it was back then so there not outside the scope of this thread.....and most people are complaining about the fu..ced up selection process and the phase system...hope you understand this thread now
  • charlichancharlichan Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    cyrax wrote: »
    +10 to this guy i feel the same way no difference, LOMA fail, and failsaken world is failing too with the **** CB phases ... n **** selection ive been waiting 2 phases n the randome selection is selecting same ppl n a little more for some dumb reason ... February nope nty im out this game is not worth the wait for so long it will lose more players before the open beta ... they think all these player have all the time .... gl to those in the CB phases n the ones still waiting

    laters . peace

    If FW is anything like LOMA then i'll LMAO because I tried it and it was epic boring and I don't plan on playing that again. I don't know about FW but its really obvious that someone doing this beta is making some seriously major bad choices. Fortunatly there are some new release's right around the corner This strategy is foolhardy.
  • lasnowlasnow Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    malfor77 wrote: »
    well dude its not ten years ago and beta testing isnt the same as it was back then so there not outside the scope of this thread.....and most people are complaining about the fu..ced up selection process and the phase system...hope you understand this thread now

    Not liking the selection process, sure. But saying they're not going to ever play a PWE title again because they didn't get selected? That's awfully to the extreme. What if there was no beta at all and the game was just in development until release day? Would they take the same stance?

    I think games end up better when they have a beta test. This helps test the game under realistic conditions to iron out bugs and implement features. But boycotting PWE because they "didn't get selected" just doesn't make any sense. People act like they're having chest pains due to not being able to beta test a game. I'd like to see how they respond to real life issues such as a tax audit, their wife leaving them, or their vehicle being stolen. Would they pass out?

    I don't mind the people that complain about something, because I think complaints are a good thing to let the community's voice be heard, but the boycott talk is just childish. I've been involved in a lot of beta tests over the years, and sometimes you get selected and sometimes you don't. I think the whiners are the same people that don't really want to beta test the game, they just want to play early.

    We should go back to the old system where if you don't submit bugs you get kicked from the beta. That's one of the reasons betas don't always successfully iron out the bugs because too many people have the mindset of "I wanna play now!!" instead of the mindset of trying to break the game and giving developers the feedback they need.

    The point of beta is not to play early - it's for troubleshooting and fixing glitches.
    If FW is anything like LOMA then i'll LMAO because I tried it and it was epic boring and I don't plan on playing that again. I don't know about FW but its really obvious that someone doing this beta is making some seriously major bad choices. Fortunatly there are some new release's right around the corner This strategy is foolhardy.

    Well that would make sense if the strategy behind a beta test was to attract a user base - it's not. It's for beta testing. Testing being the key word. It's a test, not an open invitation for play time.
  • angelicmuseangelicmuse Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    melchidec wrote: »
    When is the Phase 3 Start ?

    Crab said in another thread that Phase 3 will start no later then Jan 12 2011
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sundownxiiisundownxiii Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    not sure if this has been asked or even said before or not but will there be another data wipe after the completion of all 4 beta phases... So once the open game starts everyone starts from scratch correct?
    "Life is but a Dream..." - D.
  • crabclawcrabclaw Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    not sure if this has been asked or even said before or not but will there be another data wipe after the completion of all 4 beta phases... So once the open game starts everyone starts from scratch correct?

    That's right.
  • collussuscollussus Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    lasnow wrote: »
    Not liking the selection process, sure. But saying they're not going to ever play a PWE title again because they didn't get selected? That's awfully to the extreme. What if there was no beta at all and the game was just in development until release day? Would they take the same stance?

    I think games end up better when they have a beta test. This helps test the game under realistic conditions to iron out bugs and implement features. But boycotting PWE because they "didn't get selected" just doesn't make any sense. People act like they're having chest pains due to not being able to beta test a game. I'd like to see how they respond to real life issues such as a tax audit, their wife leaving them, or their vehicle being stolen. Would they pass out?

    I don't mind the people that complain about something, because I think complaints are a good thing to let the community's voice be heard, but the boycott talk is just childish. I've been involved in a lot of beta tests over the years, and sometimes you get selected and sometimes you don't. I think the whiners are the same people that don't really want to beta test the game, they just want to play early.

    We should go back to the old system where if you don't submit bugs you get kicked from the beta. That's one of the reasons betas don't always successfully iron out the bugs because too many people have the mindset of "I wanna play now!!" instead of the mindset of trying to break the game and giving developers the feedback they need.

    The point of beta is not to play early - it's for troubleshooting and fixing glitches.



    Well that would make sense if the strategy behind a beta test was to attract a user base - it's not. It's for beta testing. Testing being the key word. It's a test, not an open invitation for play time.

    Don't bother trying to make these people understand. Several of us, me including have tried. They're all convinced that beta testing is to "get inside information" instead of "testing".

    Anyone who leaves just because they didn't got selected, don't deserve to play the game in the first place. Same goes for people who rage about "we've been here since the start" -> I find it funny that when you say that, that EVERYONE that I KNOW who registered on the same day as i have (the first 1 - 2 hours that FW registration was open) all got selected due to the 2nd phase of phase 1.

    So my guess is that the majority of you guys are lying and just want to get in earlier. Which is kind of weak IMO...
  • lukeymlukeym Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I was hoping that there wouldn't be a wipe after phase 4, since there would have already been one. Then again phase 4 would have a lot of content added in that needs testing before the final.

    I can already see the raging, however. >__<
  • kisavixenkisavixen Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    collussus wrote: »
    Don't bother trying to make these people understand. Several of us, me including have tried. They're all convinced that beta testing is to "get inside information" instead of "testing".

    Anyone who leaves just because they didn't got selected, don't deserve to play the game in the first place. Same goes for people who rage about "we've been here since the start" -> I find it funny that when you say that, that EVERYONE that I KNOW who registered on the same day as i have (the first 1 - 2 hours that FW registration was open) all got selected due to the 2nd phase of phase 1.

    So my guess is that the majority of you guys are lying and just want to get in earlier. Which is kind of weak IMO...

    well let me see ... myself my husband, my two sons, and my many relatives who also registered on the same day in April, as you can see from my Joined Date have all been passed up. Does this make us liars? No does this make us impatient? No. The only thing it makes us is human. Try to see things from other's point of view instead of judging. I personally am playing another game while I wait for my acceptance. Does this mean I am deserting PWE? No. I am just doing something to occupy my time untill I get in. So please everyone try to be patient and wait for your invite and stop getting on and complaining that others say they are leaving. If they do they do. It only increases chances for the rest of us to get in.

    HAPPY HOLIDAYS
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]My baby Bandit. 50% Timber Wolf 50% Albino German Shephard and a Registered Service Dog. WE LOVE YOU BANDIT.
  • collussuscollussus Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    kisavixen wrote: »
    Try to see things from other's point of view instead of judging.

    O.o

    This line just made me lose faith in the majority of humanity. Anyone who tells OTHERS to look at another's person point of view and then doesn't do so him/herself, does not deserve to call themselves human. Nor do they have the right to say someone else is judging.

    Please, practice what you preach will you?

    Also,
    So please everyone try to be patient and wait for your invite and stop getting on and complaining that others say they are leaving. If they do they do. It only increases chances for the rest of us to get in.

    This line is just ENTIRELY in another direction than all of your previous posts. I just know it confused me. It didn't even even fit in your post either, since YOU are the one who is complaining about the phases in the first place.

    Oh "omg someone complains about people leaving" is not the case. The case is that we have quite a good idea to WHY the staff would do something like these phases, and do not enjoy seeing posts like "Omg this game sucks because i didn't get in so i'll just go play [random game name here] instead.".

    As you said already. It's not complaining. It's just a human emotional response to people who are attacking something i hold dear (omg he hold a game dear!1!!!!!!oneoneone).

    Please continue making these incredibly awesome replies. Every time i read them i smile a bit more about the failures written in them.
  • zuziakzuziak Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    That kind of CB is a joke. Ekhm 3-4 months cb's and later all wiped? Sry people are working to hard on characters if they play 3-4 months(compare to 1 week test cb like every other game) Other games cb's are 1 or maybe 2 weeks at max. Whats the point of delete everything then if cb here > 10 other cbs together? Definetely unfair and hmm im 99% sure if i reach max lvl at cb i dont see a reason to play from lvl 1 after 3 months of play(games is v.good but still its a waste of time in my opinion) Half of players whos been invited to phase 1/2 probably will quit and game loose alot from community just because half of people be allready bored after 3-4 months of play and they didnt play again from lvl 1 for sure.
  • collussuscollussus Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    zuziak wrote: »
    That kind of CB is a joke. Ekhm 3-4 months cb's and later all wiped? Sry people are working to hard on characters if they play 3-4 months(compare to 1 week test cb like every other game) Other games cb's are 1 or maybe 2 weeks at max. Whats the point of delete everything then if cb here > 10 other cbs together? Definetely unfair and hmm im 99% sure if i reach max lvl at cb i dont see a reason to play from lvl 1 after 3 months of play(games is v.good but still its a waste of time in my opinion) Half of players whos been invited to phase 1/2 probably will quit and game loose alot from community just because half of people be allready bored after 3-4 months of play and they didnt play again from lvl 1 for sure.

    As an Eve Online Alpha up to closed beta tester i had been working on my character for 1 year and 2 months, which then got wiped.

    3 - 4 months is NOTHING compared to major p2p game beta's... -cough- cataclysm's 12 month beta -cough-
  • zuziakzuziak Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Whats yours major p2p titles? Sry except cataclism every title like aion , rift , warhammer , age of conan , gw have short cb
  • collussuscollussus Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    zuziak wrote: »
    Whats yours major p2p titles? Sry except cataclism every title like aion , rift , warhammer , age of conan , gw have short cb

    Eve, gw2 has been in alpha for AGES. Conan had a HUGE alpha too.
  • ishlandirishlandir Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I back up collossus here, alot huge titles had a rather ''wide'' Closed Beta period. Do some research before you complain, mate.

    Let's get back on topic though we all will gain a chance to win the contest which will pop up this Monday ( officially confirmed by Crabclaw )!

    My expectation is that alot of winners will be drawn out of this contest as they have posted the Guideline to double the playerbase of the CB. I am anxious how you guys are going to challenge us, Crabclaw!
    Ishlandir - Member of Empire - Protector

    [SIGPIC]http://i55.tinypic.com/117v2ia.png[/SIGPIC]
  • malagaredonforummalagaredonforum Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Any hint about what kind of contest it's going to be? Drawing, storytelling, costume/dungeon design?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Returning to FW. The other game failed T.T
This discussion has been closed.