Protectors in PvP

reggaeboy
reggaeboy Posts: 3 Arc User
edited December 2010 in Protector Discussion
Ok so ive read some of the skills and there are a few skills that can be really usefull in pvp like
Counter Attack - deals 100% base dmg + dmg amount also enters you into guardian mode (reduced damage, increased defense/attack) and generates a fury point.
3 second cd.

Hard Smash - Deals 100% base dmg + dmg amount, each fury point increases the dmg by 1%.
3 second cd

both have a short CD and are kinda spameable, however ive heard that protectors arent good to PvP with someone knows if this is true or not? share opinions please :p
Post edited by reggaeboy on
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• trevtimusprime
    trevtimusprime Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    reggaeboy wrote: »
    Ok so ive read some of the skills and there are a few skills that can be really usefull in pvp like
    Counter Attack - deals 100% base dmg + dmg amount also enters you into guardian mode (reduced damage, increased defense/attack) and generates a fury point.
    3 second cd.

Hard Smash - Deals 100% base dmg + dmg amount, each fury point increases the dmg by 1%.
    3 second cd

both have a short CD and are kinda spameable, however ive heard that protectors arent good to PvP with someone knows if this is true or not? share opinions please :p

IIRC, Counterstrike, actually increase def by a certain amount and also DECREASES your attack by the same given amount. It's a decent skill but more pve applicable.

Now force of fury on the other hand, with the talent points put into it **** and does so much dmg. I crit on a mob for 8k with it and a person for 2.2k

Protector has 2 good stuns, which is their 5 seconds ranged racial, and their force of fury which is 3 seconds. The later only has a 50% chance to proc but it's still quite useful if nothing else for the massive dmg.

We also get an 8 second invincibility skill.

We do overall lack in actual attack, but if you spec correctly, your dmg is very good and attack Protector is one of the best pvp classes.
    CB-Phase 1-4
    I am Snorlax and I will block your path.

DestroyTokyo- Voted best WereBeast on PWI Lost City server <3
  • rqconvulsion
    rqconvulsion Posts: 358 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    I say they are one of the top 4 pvpers.
    Convulsion BEST PLAYER ON THE SERVER!
  • reggaeboy
    reggaeboy Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    ok so someone made a pvp build for protectors or haves some recomendations?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wtfnoavailablenames
    wtfnoavailablenames Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    We are all currently very low lvl, 29 is just the very very beginning. But at that early stage, Protector is the King of the Hill in 1vs1 duels.

And protector dmg low? Lol, have you tried the other classes? Only Warrior can outdamage us.

I do same (or more even) dmg as my mage, but I have twice the hp and twice the def. Oh, and more stuns. And invincibility skill.

But pvp doesnt start til lvl 30, so everything we know about duels right now is redundant since other classes get some quite good skills later on.

My guess on the subject though, is that Protectors going the Outer Crust tree will be quite decent in PvP because of another stun skill.
    Empty
  • trevtimusprime
    edited November 2010
    We are all currently very low lvl, 29 is just the very very beginning. But at that early stage, Protector is the King of the Hill in 1vs1 duels.

And protector dmg low? Lol, have you tried the other classes? Only Warrior can outdamage us.

Protectors actually suck 1v1 @ duels against warriors vamps and Priests.

So I really have no idea what in gods name you're talking about. My Priest just destroys other protectors in duels so far, and feel free to duel me to prove me wrong.

Protectors have ONE high damaging skill, Force or Fury, that's it. And it's not very spammable with a 15 sec cooldown, however Protectors pvp use is more so for the stunning than for dmg. So why would we have tons of damaging skills?
    CB-Phase 1-4

• gexalo
    gexalo Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited November 2010

So I really have no idea what in gods name you're talking about. My Priest just destroys other protectors in duels so far, and feel free to duel me to prove me wrong.

Protectors have ONE high damaging skill, Force or Fury, that's it. And it's not very spammable with a 15 sec cooldown, however Protectors pvp use is more so for the stunning than for dmg. So why would we have tons of damaging skills?

Never really had much trouble against Warriors.

:O
  • ihazcookies
    ihazcookies Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Yep, only thing protectors have a problem with right now 1 vs 1 is priest and vamp, just as every class does, because healing > everything in low lvl pvp.
    BobZeConqueror
    Wicked
  • rqconvulsion
    edited November 2010
    Yep, only thing protectors have a problem with right now 1 vs 1 is priest and vamp, just as every class does, because healing > everything in low lvl pvp.

1v1's suck tho because everyone will be in parties late game, its highly annoying to be any melee in pking T.T
  • x35ttul3
    x35ttul3 Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited November 2010

I don't know about you, currently with the lvl 29 cap, i can kill anyone besides a well geared, intelligent priest in a 1v1
  • trevtimusprime
    edited November 2010
    x35ttul3 wrote: »
    I don't know about you, currently with the lvl 29 cap, i can kill anyone besides a well geared, intelligent priest in a 1v1

I will bet we have a few people in RQ who could drop you, well geared ofc.

I being one of them as a priest, with nearly 6.5k hp
    CB-Phase 1-4

• shiradori
    shiradori Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    I will bet we have a few people in RQ who could drop you, well geared ofc.

I being one of them as a priest, with nearly 6.5k hp

That is the the point at the moment: it is all pretty much up to skill now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~IGN: Kryxis~
    ~Character: Human Warrior~
    ~Server: Beta~
  • gexalo
    edited November 2010
    IIRC, Counterstrike, actually increase def by a certain amount and also DECREASES your attack by the same given amount. It's a decent skill but more pve applicable.

Now force of fury on the other hand, with the talent points put into it **** and does so much dmg. I crit on a mob for 8k with it and a person for 2.2k

Protector has 2 good stuns, which is their 5 seconds ranged racial, and their force of fury which is 3 seconds. The later only has a 50% chance to proc but it's still quite useful if nothing else for the massive dmg.

We also get an 8 second invincibility skill.

We do overall lack in actual attack, but if you spec correctly, your dmg is very good and attack Protector is one of the best pvp classes.

Just want to mention, if you get the right talents Counter Strike can become BEASTLY, and will be quite useful in PvP.

Also, FoF's stun chance goes up by 5% for each fury point you have.
  • futuristik
    futuristik Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    gexalo wrote: »
    Just want to mention, if you get the right talents Counter Strike can become BEASTLY, and will be quite useful in PvP.

Also, FoF's stun chance goes up by 5% for each fury point you have.

True facts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wtfnoavailablenames
    edited November 2010
    Now with lvl 30 pets Priests are a bit easier than before since everyone else got more dps now. Priests are a bish in DUELS cause ppl play "fair". But i pvp all goes including rare magic food and best crafted pots. And pets of course. And soon cash shop pots to boost =)

But to give a summarized answer the the question, protectors do ok in pvp
    Empty
  • vratar
    vratar Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    hmmmmm.. but how fast is cooldown skills of Protector, and how fast is from WR? :)
  • wtfnoavailablenames
    edited November 2010
    We hit slow, but hard. Cooldown isnt an issue, it's quite fast. But I dont like the casting time. Many skills with 2s casting time. Feels like playing a giant person with a hammer clubbering stuff.. oh wait, we are.

When I pvp with my Protector, the ones I think twice before engaging 1v1 are priests and other Protectors. The rest I just charge and usually win =)
    (ok, a lie, i dont think when i pvp, i just bash whatever my TAB hits. Real life frenzy rofl)
    Empty
  • vratar
    edited November 2010
    bhahaha.. nice one... but WR have faster casting time, right? ---- well in PW WB's were strong in pvp becouse few reasons, some of them are upper HP and fast casting time, right? so if now (in FW) wr have higher HP limit and better casting time... well, isnt WR stronger? :))
  • gexalo
    edited November 2010
    We Protectors are pretty good in PvP at this level, so far i can win just about every fight IF i have my cool downs. (Earth Fury and Rocky Protection)

But without those skills battles are tougher, my main tactic is to stun them and pick up the orbs, after that people don't last very long because of the stuns and massive burst damage our skills do.
  • vratar
    edited November 2010
    ok, about that orbs... so look at this situation: u are in fight (lol everthing is burning, your heart will explode) and then u stun opponent and run to collect that stuff... -.- i mean WTF, will it make fight less intresting?? i dont know how that look, but... can smoe1 tell me who exp it on CS
  • gexalo
    edited November 2010
    vratar wrote: »
    ok, about that orbs... so look at this situation: u are in fight (lol everthing is burning, your heart will explode) and then u stun opponent and run to collect that stuff... -.- i mean WTF, will it make fight less intresting?? i dont know how that look, but... can smoe1 tell me who exp it on CS

I was talking about One on One PvP then.

In mass PvP i just collect orbs and kill, luckily as a tanking class we are usually the last to be targeted.
  • rqconvulsion
    edited November 2010
    gexalo wrote: »
    I was talking about One on One PvP then.

In mass PvP i just collect orbs and kill, luckily as a tanking class we are usually the last to be targeted.

+1 to gexalo pretty spot on.
  • zalure99
    zalure99 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Im really curious about protectors being able to rambo in pvp. With all thier decent attacks and high def buffs will they be able to take on one after the other or even multi targets teh same lvl in pvp?
  • toastedu
    toastedu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    What I want to know is if protectors will be able to hold aggro well going down the outer crust tree. It's something I'm concerned about. I like pvp (more of 1 vs 1 ) but if they can't hold aggro in pve then there is going to be some trouble.
  • buffnblue
    buffnblue Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    I say they are one of the top 4 pvpers.

=P This game has what....

bard
    assassin
    mage
    warrior
    protector
    vampire
    priest
    classes

so being in the top 4..... is that monumental?
  • darkrulerx
    darkrulerx Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    You forgot marksmen.

Anyways, I love protectors when it comes to pvp. I just started pvping, but I hardly ever lose, and the times I do lose are to people 4+ my level, and thats only sometimes that I lose to them.

Anyone else love Rocky Protection? ( Invincibility buff)

All you need to do to win is take them down as far as u can, and if your starting to lose, hit the buff and your immune for a few seconds. While Immune, just run around picking up those orbs then spin around and kill them XD
    "People have hope because they cannot see Death standing behind them."
  • razgrim
    razgrim Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Tank-pvping is a style, it works but you've really got to know how to do it. You can't just charge in, throw the same 5 button combo, completely unresponsive to what your enemy does, and walk away with your enemy dead. You need to know what your enemy is capable of and know how to react, it's skill and experience. What really gets you the advantage and time to do this is your endurance. I've done it in WoW, the idea is pwn the $hit out of your target by doing what you do best, which is shrug off dmg and harass the enemy with situational abilities. The low dmg just slows the whole engagement down, so if you're lacking in anything it's the ability to kill a target before your target gets help (in a team pvp situation).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Art by Linux.
    I give or take life. Your pick.
  • pascalvis
    pascalvis Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    http://fw.perfectworld.com/talentcalc?cls=protector&r=stn&b=t1a15a25b23c14c23c34d13d23e13f13f24f31g13g23h12h23i12j13j23

This is my talent build for a PVP protector, i still have 1 point to spend tho./. ;)
  • x35ttul3
    x35ttul3 Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I personally don't see much of a difference PvP wise between outer-crust and protect. With Red hands, either protector be devastating in PvP.