test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bard Class First Impressions and Info

deathbunnydeathbunny Posts: 0 Arc User
edited December 2010 in Bard Discussion
bard1.png

So, I know quite a few players are interested in the Bard class. I'll try to shed some light on information I've gathered thus far. I am currently in the process of compiling a list of their skills and hope to have the ones up to the level cap up soon, so stay tuned for that (no pun intended).

bard4.png
Racial Skill: Natural Extraction

Okay, so as you may already know the Elves are the only class able to become a Bard. Their racial skill ensnares the target in place allowing you to get a few hits in before the mob or enemy player gets to you. Pretty handy but not so great against long ranged skills as the snare only immobilizes your target, if you're in range they'll still hit you so take note of that.

bard3.png

Now the unique score sheet feature of the Bard class. You have two skills at level one which produces notes C and D. Later, I think it was Lv5, you get a buff called Music: Surge which increases your attack when you have CCD resonating (in any order). As some of you have seen in febber's Livestream the buffs did not refresh while it was still active... thankfully they fixed that and the buffs do refresh.

At Lv20 you receive another buff, this one a party buff, which also increases your attack power. Let me tell you, with both of the buffs going your attack jumps roughly 300 points. Very nice. Though in this game the mobs rarely go down in one hit (even ones you've out-leveled) which isn't a bad thing for a Bard since we want to build notes for buffs.

bard2.png

You're not paper thin but you're also not a tank. And the game has **** regen rate with food requiring you to stop and sit to take effect. So would be Bards, let your pet tank! I picked the Ram because it has a self-healing skill. Though the cooldown on it is a bit long it can usually go through 2-3 mobs before needing to heal and by then the skill should be ready.

The down side? You won't get your AoE heal until Lv30 so until then you are a buffer and DD in parties. So far a single Priest is capable of keeping a party alive in instances but I'm sure as we go along the bosses will start throwing nice AoEs at us.

So far I'm enjoying the Bard class a lot. Very unique system (least for me anyway) with the score sheet. The damage is great as long as you keep the buffs activated. I can't wait for more skills to be available to see what else we can do as a class. If you like challenging yourself being a DD, healer and buffer, definitely try it out. And we also get cool hats and armour too.

I'll be adding screenshots once I get back to my computer so bare with the walls of text for now. ^^; But hopefully this helped you guys a bit, if you have questions let me know and I'll try to answer them.
Post edited by deathbunny on

cz47.gif
Post in the right section and maybe you'll get the help you seek.

[ Guide Index | Search | PWE Support ]

Comments

• dyskrasiadyskrasia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Cool, thanks for the info. A lot of my friends laughed at the thought of a bard, but I thought the idea sounded pretty cool. Might give it a try : )
  • kloakaholickloakaholic Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    deathbunny wrote: »
    So, I know quite a few players are interested in the Bard class. I'll try to shed some light on information I've gathered thus far. I am currently in the process of compiling a list of their skills and hope to have the ones up to the level cap up soon, so stay tuned for that (no pun intended).

Pun acknowledged, noted and highly appreciated! :)

EDIT: lol just noticed my reply had a pun too haha
  • tolichantolichan Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Glad that was fixed. Bards have me pretty excited, though I am disappointed I have to wait so long to be able to heal.
  • hausofartjhausofartj Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    YAY! I'm even more excited!
    I may sooth your hurt soul with my tranquil melodies. Or, I can strike your **** down with my Bass Pumped Pop Hits!

PoP Ate My Heart.

- Lady GaGa

I'm beautiful in my way, 'cause God makes no mistakes, I'm on the right track, Baby, I was born this way.

Put your Paws up for your **** PRIDE!
  • malagaredonforummalagaredonforum Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Sweet! Thnx for the info deathbunny! Bard power!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Returning to FW. The other game failed T.T
  • friedfrenzy5friedfrenzy5 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Our party summoned a boss earlier that was way too powerful for us. I have the means to kite mobs very easily, but this boss was immune to status effects, soooo that's the only downside to playing bard so far for me. Everything else has been very positive.

I I don't know if all bosses in instances are immune to status effects, but the three we fought in Emperor's were.
  • ahuleahule Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    ty so much for the review. i'll be looking forward to see the screenshots.
  • deathbunnydeathbunny Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    I'm pretty sure most of the bosses will have resistance against de-buffs... usually the case in most MMOs which sort of suck but I guess that adds to the whole strategy thing.

I've added some screenshots. =)

cz47.gif

• dimos89dimos89 Posts: 0
    edited October 2010
    ty for the info deathbunny...can't wait for more info and screenshots :D
  • skaterenjoiskaterenjoi Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Also, don't forget to note, that the note order on the first note sheet is wrong. It says Surge needs a CDD comba when it is actually a CCD. CDD is used for chilling later on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SkaterZoo, Proud Elven Bard
  • x0frostmjb0xx0frostmjb0x Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Great! Thanks for the info. The Bard sound even more awesome every day. I am definitely going Bard all the way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fear my Song!
    For you shall fall to its Melody.
  • elcomesoftelcomesoft Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    I am reading reports of skill descriptions being incorrect for Bards re: the notes you need to have on your sheet to have the buff/debuff activated and I am also hearing about debuffs and group buffs not applying properly as well..

Can anyone shed some light on this?
    [SIGPIC]http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii76/ElcoWarrior/Sig1.png[/SIGPIC]

Forsaken World Phase 1 updates, news and guides @ elcomesoft.com
    edited October 2010
    I haven't had problems casting group buffs. Things you need to look out for is timing and making sure everyone is in range. And of course, the duration is not very long so you have to keep re-casting them.

cz47.gif

• elcomesoftelcomesoft Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    I haven't had problems casting group buffs. Things you need to look out for is timing and making sure everyone is in range. And of course, the duration is not very long so you have to keep re-casting them.

Good to know... What about the tooltips? I have heard some don't show the correct Chords required for a certain skill. (see skaterenjoi's post above)

Scouring the net for FW info from Phase 1 info seems to turn up a few results where the Bards have issues getting group buffs to work or have noticed that tooltips are providing incorrect chord information.

I'm just too darn curious :)
    [SIGPIC]http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii76/ElcoWarrior/Sig1.png[/SIGPIC]

Forsaken World Phase 1 updates, news and guides @ elcomesoft.com
  • km6094024km6094024 Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    thanks for the post deathbunny. I got a question totally not related to your post (sorry) but HOW DID YOU GET THAT CHORDS THINGY DOWN IN THE MIDDLE? I tried to move it tons of times but can't seem to move it :(
  • raxrax Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Having played a bard in a DAoC was wondering is it possible to twist? Also are all the buffs duration based or is some based on how long you play the music? Thx for the answers in advance.
  • ninja6ninja6 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Thx for the info deathbunny.. im certain what class im picking now :D Can't wait for more screenshots.
    JK

Im not crazy, im Looney ;)
    Heavenly Officer
    Apply now at heavenlyguild.mmoguildsites.com we're built for pve ;)
    Storm Server ~ PVE
    SirLooney ~ Human - Assassin
    LollipopSwirl ~ Dwarve - Marksman
    MsAlice ~ Kindred - Vamp
  • friedfrenzy5friedfrenzy5 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    rax wrote: »
    Having played a bard in a DAoC was wondering is it possible to twist? Also are all the buffs duration based or is some based on how long you play the music? Thx for the answers in advance.

As far as I have seen, all buffs are timed.
    edited October 2010
    To move the cords you just have to click and drag, maybe minimize the chat box if it's overlapping making it hard to select.

The party buff, Movement: Excited (I think that was the name), stacks and increases dmg buff the more chords you play.

cz47.gif

• gameboogameboo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    seeing as i am lv 25 bard atm i thought i would say a few word's.

I am loving the scoresheet it brings a whole new sense of fun to the dps thing bard has going so this pleases GaGa.

As for talents i have chosen to go for the light tree Exclusively. My reasons for this is extra party buffing effects and stronger party heal's with a few stun removal's and debuffs made slightly better.

My aoe sleep i have yet to see it be useful right now,I have used it in canyon but didnt really notice much difference lol but then again it was only used on 2 mobs XD

And bard gear OMG the Asthetics of bard Top Tier IMO.

Hint: Never try to go overboard with your skills in a dungeon and never try to hit something first :P i saw a bard in my fort party do this and all i could do was rage and LoL.
    Earth ~ Yggdrasil
    guildfabulous.freeforums.biz
    Closed beta is nothing to sing and dance about.
  • zamborzambor Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    gameboo wrote: »
    As for talents i have chosen to go for the light tree Exclusively. My reasons for this is extra party buffing effects and stronger party heal's with a few stun removal's and debuffs made slightly better.

You may consider Gentle Sway, Art of Music, Infuriation and the music/chord duration talents in wind and water trees to help group effectiveness... take a look.
    edited October 2010
    I'm thinking of the Water tree and putting points in chord CD and the self healing thing in the Light tree. The Water tree also has a talent which reduces MP usage on attack skills which is a huge plus seeing that my MP plummets faster than everyone else...

All about efficiency in solo/party situations.

cz47.gif

edited October 2010
    zambor wrote: »
    You may consider Gentle Sway, Art of Music, Infuriation and the music/chord duration talents in wind and water trees to help group effectiveness... take a look.

And you may want to contact my bum....
    Earth ~ Yggdrasil
  • zamborzambor Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    I'm thinking of the Water tree and putting points in chord CD and the self healing thing in the Light tree. The Water tree also has a talent which reduces MP usage on attack skills which is a huge plus seeing that my MP plummets faster than everyone else...

All about efficiency in solo/party situations.

I like the chord CD talents, makes chord buffs lasts longer too, with those talents is possible to space skills, seems useful.

More time to work chords + buffs lasting longer= less MP usage since you don't need to spam chords in order to refresh chord buffs all the time.

What is the average MP consumption for the basic nukes?
    edited October 2010
    MP consumption goes up with higher level skills... I'm 26 right now and I believe the skill MP is roughly 60~85 (not in-game so I don't have exact numbers) and I'm only using Chord of Wind/Water. Light and Tuneless Sound kills MP so I try not to use them unless it's a boss/elite fight.

So that's why I'm going Water tree mainly to reduce the MP cost. And if I can be self sufficient with that light talent that heals my own HP I can use what I farm into MP potions instead of both... @[email protected]

cz47.gif

edited October 2010
    light skill is 96 mp, toneless is 145-150? water wind is like 60-75? [not ingame lol]

but my preference is light and toneless [at this present time].I don't consider mp consumption my mp extract skill and mp pots keep me from running out, hp pots lol i don't over do my dps.
    Earth ~ Yggdrasil
  • kenleekenlee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    plenty of ways to obtain mp in this game and all pretty much spammable so... nothing vital for me with this current mp consumption. plus you dont have to spam chords all the time... there is a reason that you have striking note and a pet
    another thing, lots of warriors and assasins especially can do almost double your damage so... you dont count as DD :P
  • kenleekenlee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    ok i know its double post but you guys made me curious and lvled the bard to 30 so here it is.

solo of light (a skill from light talent tree) is an active skill, i didnt know that... stupid me. you can also spam it every 15 seconds (unless you get the cooldown talent on advance solo of light) w/o any problems
    http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/8087/solooflight.jpg
    the only problem is that you dont get the next lvl of it right away, i need lvl 45
    http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/7278/solooflight1.jpg

now i wonder if this is a bug in sonata of life description
    1146 meters is lol
    http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/7356/sonataoflife.jpg
  • angelicmuseangelicmuse Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    The Bard sounds pretty interesting - will be giving this class a try for sure :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • squishyxsquishyx Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    You're not paper thin but you're also not a tank. And the game has **** regen rate with food requiring you to stop and sit to take effect. So would be Bards, let your pet tank! I picked the Ram because it has a self-healing skill. Though the cooldown on it is a bit long it can usually go through 2-3 mobs before needing to heal and by then the skill should be ready.

I didn't get into phase 1, so I'm not really sure how this is supposed to work. Is there something you press to get your pet to tank, or...?