MMOculture : Offline exp !

xxxdrackosxxx
xxxdrackosxxx Posts: 410 Arc User
edited October 2010 in General Discussion
http://www.mmoculture.com/2010/10/forsaken-world-offline-exp-system.html

This system actually took me quite some time to understand, having read it for over 10 times. Well, here's a short introduction to this system. If you are working or schooling or simply don't have the time to sit down and play Forsaken World for a few hours straight and eventually get left behind in terms of character levels, this feature will certainly delight you. So how does it actually work?

For every period of time (hours, days) you are not in the game, a certain amount of EXP will be allocated to your character, like a compensation. Once you logged in, you will need to pay Soul Currency via a new window to buyout the EXP. The amount will depend on how much EXP you are buying out. And yes, you can accumulate this EXP, although there will be a max capacity before it stops. This EXP will not be affected by 2x EXP coupons etc.

s1006pem01.jpg

So, how do players use this bonus EXP? As seen below, the bonus EXP will appear in the form of a green bar. This bonus EXP will be slowly used when players kill mobs, complete quests etc. For example, you are supposed to get 50 EXP after killing a rat. If you have purchased the bonus EXP, it will be used and you will get like 55 EXP (just an example, exact calculations not given). Once the bonus EXP is used up, the green bar will have been covered up by the blue bar (normal EXP). If you do want to know, the white words mean the amount of EXP needed to hit the next level.

s1006pem04.jpg

I just want to thank Cinderboy for the great job he's doing , hoping he would come soon on our forums .
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• iiace
    iiace Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    that exp costs a lot of soul currency.
  • sumofishy
    sumofishy Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    http://www.mmoculture.com/2010/10/forsaken-world-offline-exp-system.html
    just for a better link (:

i dont understand tho, if im offline, i get EXP? or do i have to buy the EXP i accumulate? is this good or bad |:/
    Not in CB1 or 2... >.<
    I don't think I'm wanted in FW

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Elf Priestess
    sumofishy
    Alchemist/Tamer
  • acidik
    acidik Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    ...Offline XP?
    This is.. blasphemy ! Absolutely inconceivable .... Or not.

Actually, I am kinda confused about the whole offline XP thing. I think I'd have to test it out myself in order to fully understand it.

Idunno if I'd be willing to spend soul currency on this- Depending on how much I am able to acquire at any given time, I don't know if it'd be worth it to spend it on potential XP instead of skills/equips/etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Akuubie ✌(o ‿ ~)
  • pizzblack
    pizzblack Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    If pwe is giving this much, there's going to be some kind of costly trade-off that's gonna

**** us with the outcome of all this "giving."
    QUIT QUIT QUIT QUIT QUIT

There once was a BlackCard...~
  • sumofishy
    sumofishy Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    pizzblack wrote: »
    If pwe is giving this much, there's going to be some kind of costly trade-off that's gonna

**** us with the outcome of all this "giving."

lol PWE is pretty evil m169.gif
    Not in CB1 or 2... >.<
    I don't think I'm wanted in FW

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Elf Priestess
    sumofishy
    Alchemist/Tamer
  • xxxdrackosxxx
    edited October 2010
    The exp given while being offline is a good way to accelerate the leveling process . Being disconnected for a month doesn't mean you will get enough exp to move from level 1 to level 30 . It will be reasonable .
    I saw this system in a lot of F2P games like Dragonica and I didn't saw a problem with that . You have to think that there will be casual gamers that will play this game . After all , not everyone can play 12h per day.

Anyway , I like this feature , hoping it will be as I said , reasonable.
  • pensri
    pensri Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Honestly when you mentioned this i was thinking of Jade Dynasty. Because on there you can buy some scrolls from the cash shop to level up your character. So if you didn't wanna spend time leveling from 1 to 30 (takes like a week of offling and if you know how you can hit 20 in like the first hour lol) you could buy some offline exp scrolls (dream scroll things lol). Its probably like that and don't worry it doesn't really give people that huge of an advantage cause of course the higher level you are the more scrolls you would have to buy anyway to make that big of an exp jump. So personally I think the system is just nice when you have had a bad day and lost a lot of exp from deaths or something. I doubt it will make that huge a differnce especially once you become higher level.
  • lavlav
    lavlav Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    If any of you ever played Vanguard, it had this system in it (eventually not at release tho). When you are logged out of the game, you get a bonus XP status. Basically its like 5% (or some other forumla) xp from all monsters until you pass that bonus.

Example: You have 0 xp. Your green bar goes to 1000 xp. Every time you kill a rat you get say 50 xp. But with the green XP bar is still showing, you get 55 xp. Now you have 55. You continually grind to 995 xp. Now the next kill will give you the bonus but after that the xp will return to 50.

In vanguard, it would only give you a total of 100% of xp from where you are *rated appropiatley so staying logged out at higher levels for the same amount of time, would not give you 100% xp like it did at lvl 10*.

Example: I have 1000 xp. I log out at lvl 10 for 24 hours. I log in with a full 100% green bar for increased XP. Now I am lvl 50. I log out for 24 hours. I log in with a sliver of xp increase not even 1/30th of my bar.

This is a nice system that doesn't really give you xp offline, it gives you bonus's on xp which the bonus is deducted from the green part of the bar.

Hope this helps.
  • cinderboy
    cinderboy Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    lavlav wrote: »
    This is a nice system that doesn't really give you xp offline, it gives you bonus's on xp which the bonus is deducted from the green part of the bar.

The bonus EXP is accumulated only when players are offline, so it is also known as offline EXP.

No games will "give" characters EXP directly when they are offline... I think -.-

A better term will be "EXP Compensation", which is used in the Chinese server.
    Journalist @ OnRPG.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My blog - mmoculture.com
  • badazmofo
    badazmofo Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Conquer Online had something similar if you were "blessed" you would go into the offline training ground log off and come back for some exp but there you had to be online say 8 hrs and then you could get 12 hours of offline exp. It was kinda expensive unless you were a cash shopper.
  • masder
    masder Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    I hope FW won't have a retarted "Reward" system which gives you incentives if play the game a lot. This only promotes game addiction and unhealthy lifestyles!
    Want to know more about Forsaken World? Then head over to Forsaken World Fans. forsakenworldfans.blogspot.com

[SIGPIC]http://i42.tinypic.com/2iw3k11.png[/SIGPIC]

Race: Elf
    Class: Priest
    Name: Asfer

I aim to be a God..
  • gemini93
    gemini93 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    a reward system like in BoI? i just left my computer on and went to sleep.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • melnii
    melnii Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    But you have to pay Soul Currency to get it, and I assume it will be expensive enough so people won't abuse it. Sounds good to me. :3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This is Onomatomania, my avatar thing is messed up.
  • kitanishi
    kitanishi Posts: 24
    edited October 2010
    masder wrote: »
    I hope FW won't have a retarted "Reward" system which gives you incentives if play the game a lot. This only promotes game addiction and unhealthy lifestyles!

I read posts like this and I get disappointed in gaming community again and again.. On one side you have elitists who believe that you should manually grind 24/7 to be worth something in a game, on other hand you have "casuals" who beleive that you should get everything for free without doing anything. And I have yet to see many of in betweens....

Seriously, whats wrong with rewarding people who supported and kept the game alive?

There's nothing wrong with rewarding those who stuck with the game through the harder times (as mmorpg games usually only get easier as they get updated).

Games should NOT force you to stay online 24/7, neither should they rewad you for doing nothing. The first kind of game kils the player community over time(like what happened to BoI, PW, etc) due to the overall tediousness and repetitiveness of manual tasks. The second kind of game leaves no emotions for players, no sense of "achieving something".

The best kind of game is in the middle of that but they should NOT be about tedious things you have to do 24/7 to keep up. This is what killed PWI for me. This is what killed BoI fo rme.
  • gameboo
    gameboo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Offline exp is for loser's...lol
    Earth ~ Yggdrasil
    guildfabulous.freeforums.biz
    Closed beta is nothing to sing and dance about.
  • keef1988
    keef1988 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    I actually like this idea of offline exp...
    i.e. your char is lvl x at 80% to next level and you have no quests.
    Time to cash in the super expensive soul currency exp that you have had piling up for a week or so to finish that level off... Reduced grind hooray! lol
    of course if its very cheap and builds up quick its going to be a bad system but only time will tell.
  • veiker
    veiker Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    This reminds me of Allods' fatigue system and kinda reminds me of Aion's rested XP.
  • magicle
    magicle Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    gameboo wrote: »
    Offline exp is for loser's...lol

Yeah, for loser's. GG on the typo fix (;
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porcupine - Priest.
    Magicle - Mage.
  • trevtimusprime
    trevtimusprime Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    So basically, I can just charge obscene amounts of zen, sell it. Then pay for my offline xp to abuse it so I will only have to pve rarely, if @ all?

This game just grew on me significantly.
    CB-Phase 1-4
    I am Snorlax and I will block your path.

DestroyTokyo- Voted best WereBeast on PWI Lost City server <3
  • cinderboy
    edited October 2010
    So basically, I can just charge obscene amounts of zen, sell it. Then pay for my offline xp to abuse it so I will only have to pve rarely, if @ all?

This game just grew on me significantly.

No, like I said, there will be a max cap for this kind of accumulated EXP.

For example, if the max cap is 10,000 EXP, you will stop receiving after hitting the cap. It is not unlimited. Even if you are offline for 1 month, the cap will still be 10,000.

What we need to know now is the exact max cap for the NA servers.
    Journalist @ OnRPG.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My blog - mmoculture.com
  • xxxdrackosxxx
    edited October 2010
    I think the cap will change when you level up , so you will receive like a maximum of 25% of exp required to reach the next level.It would be cool .
    Anyway , I am glad to see you cinderboy , was afraid you won't come on forums forever...
  • cinderboy
    edited October 2010
    I think the cap will change when you level up , so you will receive like a maximum of 25% of exp required to reach the next level.It would be cool .

Yeap, or something like that, great idea!
    Journalist @ OnRPG.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My blog - mmoculture.com
  • polysics
    polysics Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    why can't they just use rested XP ? -_-
    Trolls trolling trolls!
  • cinderboy
    edited October 2010
    polysics wrote: »
    why can't they just use rested XP ? -_-

It is still like rested EXP, except you will need to buy it out.
    Journalist @ OnRPG.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My blog - mmoculture.com
  • keef1988
    keef1988 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    "you will need to pay Soul Currency via a new window to buyout the EXP."
    Soul currency = non-tradable so no trevtimusprime you can't just sell gold and buy the exp.
    Hence the appeal, you have to actually play the game to buy the exp.
    But I've no doubt eventually something will arise to transfer coins to soul currency. Maybe item you can npc for soul currency :S
  • massy1988
    massy1988 Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    For once this actually sounds good and pretty balanced and fair to me...

<--- likes it
    [SIGPIC]http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/5925/4iz53.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    The objective is not to die for your faction...
    but to make the other **** die for his...

Guild: Ragnarok
  • bluewater
    bluewater Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Doesn't sound too bad to me.

Since this is basically a questing game, the bonus exp you get from killing the mobs will probably be minimal compared to the exp gotten from quests. The high cost of soul currency (I assume) makes the system less abusable. Now if the bonus exp is a fixed amount for each mob... I can't see someone crazy enough to spend loads on this.
  • polysics
    polysics Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    cinderboy wrote: »
    It is still like rested EXP, except you will need to buy it out.

exactly you BUY it not level at a faster rate like standard MMO's
    Trolls trolling trolls!
  • taerr
    taerr Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    actually, not sure if anyone here has played Runes of Magic, but they have a very similar system in which "bonus" was accumulated when you were offline, cept in RoM you had to log off in your house to get the bonus, and the amount of bonus depends on the amount of special furniture you have (which can be bough with daily quest tokens or "cash" currency)

i think its a decent system, and making it cost soul is actually a pretty good move imo.

I like :)

although i personally won't be spending alot of time offline, haha
  • saridity
    saridity Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    A soul Currency system is a great idea.. as long as it can't be just Cash shoped... 10k is decent exp... and 25% of level is great as well (although i believe 25% is a bit much)

If PWE balances this, the system will work great, great for us working people. People will of course complain but overall i like... But i have a feeling that sooner or later there will be Cash shop items that will make this system too exploitable... Only time will tell

Thank you Cinderboy for all the info ^^
This discussion has been closed.