Holy hell, can we get better mentor quests?

PEZ - Eyrda
PEZ - Eyrda Posts: 466 Arc User
edited February 2013 in General Discussion
I can't keep a mentor for more than a day and a half, with the exception of my own alts. I know a lot about the game, so I can answer all their questions. I'm decently geared, so I can help them get their recruit orders and MGT done quickly. The fact is, the mentor system is balls. It's one of the first things that a new player does, and all it does is showcase the game as a boring, repetetive chain of quests.

(Often that's exactly what it is, but) why force them into this so early into the game? "Oh hey, you've only been playing for a couple of hours, but here's a confusing, unrewarding, time consuming, one-of-two quests for you to do that will that will take you far away from any reasonable location and only add to your already growing list of things to do."

The mentor system should be about helping new players with what they already have to do, not giving them more things to do and making it all more convoluted. And it's not just confusing for them. Everytime, it takes a ridiculous amount of time to do a quest the first time, or answer a question about something obscure, because I can't see their quest list, or what quests they have completed, or what windows they have open. I asked my apprentice to get a mount when we started our first quest so that it would go faster. They had no idea what the shylia market was. Or what tab to get the mount. Or why they were unable to claim the mount (they hadn't pressed the unlock button yet).

I didn't mind explaining all of this because it made me feel like a real mentor, but it's insanely frustrating when you have to do all of this in addition to the mentor quest we were just assigned. It just took longer do to something I hated. What would be nice is if the mentor quest was to get a mount. "Oh hey there new adventurer! I've noticed you haven't collected your mount yet. Ask your master for help claiming it, and speak to me once you have mounted it." Turn it in. "Remember, this mount only lasts 5 days. If you want another one, you must obtain it from your reputation agent. Ask your mentor to take you to your rep merchant so you can see where to buy your mount when you have the option to, later on."

BOOM. Quick, helpful, informative. The same idea can be used for quests. Your apprentice has had the Boolta's Stone Factory in their quest for 3 days now? Your M-A quest for the day is to take them to the stone factory in Sea of Oblivion. Your mentor has 2 unspent job points? Your M-A quest for the day is to help them pick out a job and take them to their first resource node, or whatever. Your apprentice is wearing gear 10 levels below him? Do a gear instance, or hell, just give them better gear right then and there.

And get rid of the tutor/review skills. Everything should be auto complete. It's bad enough as is that we have to travel to remote locations, like ****ing west edge shore. Make it so we don't have to keep traveling to the M-A NPC over, and over, and over. In fact, let us accept the M-A quests from the quest interface. That makes it easier for both the master and apprentice, and allows the apprentice to familiarise themselves with the quest list interface, which they will be using a lot. It's counterintuitive to go to an NPC. This might teach the apprentice that they always have to go to an NPC for a quest, which is not the case.

Also, has anyone seen my beautiful wife, Aishleen? I believe that she has gone missing, and I miss her dearly. . .
Post edited by PEZ - Eyrda on
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The servers are extended gutters and the gutters are full of nova packs and when the drains finally scab over, all the players will drown. The accumulated wealth of all their orb opening and +12 refining will foam up about their waists and all the noobs and elites will look up and shout "Thank you!"

... and I'll whisper "Rollback."

Comments

• DieselJE - Lionheart
    DieselJE - Lionheart Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The game has always been really bad at explaining what you have to do to properly get through the game. Pop-up interactions are always something irritating and barely relevant in progressing through the game. Trees are not EVER discussed as to why they are significant, it's just left to figure out, unless you're a forum regular of course. And they give beginners nothing to do, but give high levels TOO MUCH to do. But that's why we learn to make priorities as we play.

But a lot of things can be blamed on players too. Some people are just straight up too young, some players can't even speak English (the base language of our variant of the game) and some new players don't speak at all! I sometimes get extremely irritated by the higher level players who are young and arrogant in real life and keep quiet and create drama for irrelevant reasons. "I'm sorry if your Chroma wings made you a douche". But even the high level issues have been around since the beginning! It took me a year to find out you can reset the times for glistening lowlands! (I had been doing one a day on one character for a year!) I have to say Nyos/Dyos were the most poorly explained things ever.

Bottom line is, since we cant change anything because this is a Chinese game, and we know how things work out there, the best thing we can do as a community out here, is to work on the PEOPLE.
  • aqtheblm
    aqtheblm Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'd like a quest where instead of saving jon, I get to murder the everliving popsicles out of him.

all other things aside, new mentor quests would be just lovely ^_^
  • VagueAngel - Storm Legion
    VagueAngel - Storm Legion Posts: 2,798 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I can't keep a mentor for more than a day and a half, with the exception of my own alts. I know a lot about the game, so I can answer all their questions. I'm decently geared, so I can help them get their recruit orders and MGT done quickly. The fact is, the mentor system is balls. It's one of the first things that a new player does, and all it does is showcase the game as a boring, repetetive chain of quests.

(Often that's exactly what it is, but) why force them into this so early into the game? "Oh hey, you've only been playing for a couple of hours, but here's a confusing, unrewarding, time consuming, one-of-two quests for you to do that will that will take you far away from any reasonable location and only add to your already growing list of things to do."

The mentor system should be about helping new players with what they already have to do, not giving them more things to do and making it all more convoluted. And it's not just confusing for them. Everytime, it takes a ridiculous amount of time to do a quest the first time, or answer a question about something obscure, because I can't see their quest list, or what quests they have completed, or what windows they have open. I asked my apprentice to get a mount when we started our first quest so that it would go faster. They had no idea what the shylia market was. Or what tab to get the mount. Or why they were unable to claim the mount (they hadn't pressed the unlock button yet).

I didn't mind explaining all of this because it made me feel like a real mentor, but it's insanely frustrating when you have to do all of this in addition to the mentor quest we were just assigned. It just took longer do to something I hated. What would be nice is if the mentor quest was to get a mount. "Oh hey there new adventurer! I've noticed you haven't collected your mount yet. Ask your master for help claiming it, and speak to me once you have mounted it." Turn it in. "Remember, this mount only lasts 5 days. If you want another one, you must obtain it from your reputation agent. Ask your mentor to take you to your rep merchant so you can see where to buy your mount when you have the option to, later on."

BOOM. Quick, helpful, informative. The same idea can be used for quests. Your apprentice has had the Boolta's Stone Factory in their quest for 3 days now? Your M-A quest for the day is to take them to the stone factory in Sea of Oblivion. Your mentor has 2 unspent job points? Your M-A quest for the day is to help them pick out a job and take them to their first resource node, or whatever. Your apprentice is wearing gear 10 levels below him? Do a gear instance, or hell, just give them better gear right then and there.

And get rid of the tutor/review skills. Everything should be auto complete. It's bad enough as is that we have to travel to remote locations, like ****ing west edge shore. Make it so we don't have to keep traveling to the M-A NPC over, and over, and over. In fact, let us accept the M-A quests from the quest interface. That makes it easier for both the master and apprentice, and allows the apprentice to familiarise themselves with the quest list interface, which they will be using a lot. It's counterintuitive to go to an NPC. This might teach the apprentice that they always have to go to an NPC for a quest, which is not the case.

Also, has anyone seen my beautiful wife, Aishleen? I believe that she has gone missing, and I miss her dearly. . .

To be completely honest, all I read out of a majority of this is whine whine whine.

I don't know if you remember or not, but the M-A system is completely optional. If you really despise it to the point where you have to make a long forum thread about it, then why do you do it?

The quests from Vanessa are optional as well. You don't HAVE to do them to gain the friendship required for best rewards upon graduation. Not to mention you can only do the quests 3 times a week, so it's really not that bad. There are plenty of recruit orders to use to get the friendship.

Don't depend on the quests to improve your apprentice. The quests are just a baseline for teaching the apprentice what different quests will include. It's up to the mentor to explain what needs to be explained. That's what makes them a mentor after all. And the tutor/review skills, it's no different than using the observation, persuade, or intimidate skills to complete a quest, so not a big deal. It's teaching the apprentice that not every quest will be "go here, kill this, done".

By spreading out how quickly you do the 3 quests a week for Vanessa in between plenty of recruit orders and such, it really doesn't seem that repetitive at all. Mentors are there to give a helping hand, not hold the apprentice's hand through the game. They do have to attempt to learn most stuff on their own.
    aqtheblm wrote: »
    I'd like a quest where instead of saving jon, I get to murder the everliving popsicles out of him.

all other things aside, new mentor quests would be just lovely ^_^

But...you do kill john in the end .-.
    80~ErebusNox - Dark/Edge Assassin
    74~AzrielZiya - Aegis Warrior

sephiroth_forum_signature_by_xxtatteredsoulxx-d4jx3wc.jpg
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...stuff. - 10th Doctor
    Can't access the support page? Send an email: [email protected]