3rd party program abuse investigation

Comments

• vonniemusheemoo
    vonniemusheemoo Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    jhkx123 wrote: »
    Hmmm.. Here's a topic to discuss while waiting for updates...

Instead of the Ban Hammer, what other punishment do you see fit to be handed out on the wrong doers???

All those extra gifts they got for being excessive cs-er should be retrieved instead of being banned. -just a thought-

[Why did you auto-correct yourself? >_>]
  • keakua808
    keakua808 Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    hmm how about make them do young man i a tree x1000 with out flying mount then have them beat lola in the foot race 1000 times in a row if u reach 999 and fail at 1000 start over. i think that is fair.
    Conovar
    79 Dark Vampire

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vonniemusheemoo
    edited November 2012
    keakua808 wrote: »
    hmm how about make them do young man i a tree x1000 with out flying mount then have them beat lola in the foot race 1000 times in a row if u reach 999 and fail at 1000 start over. i think that is fair.

say what?
  • vonniemusheemoo
    edited November 2012
    Why isn't BegForIt also banned? lol
    on the note of being banned, please unbanned Faolin. (before the next tw pls) ._.
  • Nyxa - Storm Legion
    Nyxa - Storm Legion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I get you guys want the 100 pages and the 1000 post, spamming junk just to do it is pretty sad
    [SIGPIC]http://img163.imageshack.us/i/deur0g.png/[/SIGPIC]
    Special thanks to chaosheart27 for the awesome sig
    I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. Edgar Allan Poe
  • Drachus - Eyrda
    Drachus - Eyrda Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm sorry Nyxa :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • osiron23
    osiron23 Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    That junk wasn't much worse than the previous few hundred that came before it imo.
  • Nyxa - Storm Legion
    edited November 2012
    osiron23 wrote: »
    That junk wasn't much worse than the previous few hundred that came before it imo.

I'm not getting into it, but if you want I'll go thru and make sure that the 1000 post is never reached
  • BlackLuster - Eyrda
    BlackLuster - Eyrda Posts: 495 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    1000th Post. I'm the winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. BANNED ALL THEM HACKERS MUAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA
  • osiron23
    edited November 2012
    I'm not getting into it, but if you want I'll go thru and make sure that the 1000 post is never reached

Why would you do that? That wouldn't be nice.

POST #1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: DAMN YOU, BLACKLUSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Nyxa - Storm Legion
    edited November 2012
    osiron23 wrote: »
    Why would you do that? That wouldn't be nice.

POST #1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well lets see it's been asked that this be closed, that the spam be taken out I've been nice to let most of it go...but if you guys want to spam junk just to add to your post count I'll move it else where.
  • Zigane - Eyrda
    Zigane - Eyrda Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Fairly certain you can reduce this thread to ~page 70 if you delete all that fluff Nyxa, but that's a bit tedious. Why would you do a more tedious thing like never get someone to reach post 1000? Just take it yourself.

Edit: page 70, not pagr 70...
  • amarantos
    amarantos Posts: 3,067 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    there's enough flaming and hating going on in this thread that there needs to be some posts that are light and fluffy and funny to balance it out :rolleyes:

(p.s. i was first 1000 =/)
  • Drachus - Eyrda
    Drachus - Eyrda Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    amarantos wrote: »
    there's enough flaming and hating going on in this thread that there needs to be some posts that are light and fluffy and funny to balance it out :rolleyes:

I agree with this. Some lightheartedness is a nice change :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nyxa - Storm Legion
    edited November 2012

fluff is fine, it breaks this "junk" up and lightens the mood.....but what to do hope to achieve with a one word post?

don't get me wrong, I'm not thrilled with this whole situation, I've even made a few fluff posts, my issue is the one word posts which are just as bad as the "bump" ones
  • osiron23
    edited November 2012
    well lets see it's been asked that this be closed, that the spam be taken out I've been nice to let most of it go...but if you guys want to spam junk just to add to your post count I'll move it else where.

lol?

That would be a nightmare, Nyxa. My tremendous post count is very valuable to me.

That being said, let's get back on topic... I believe that PWE is doing a great job in handling the situation. Way to go, guys!

P.S: Amantine and Blackluster are KOS!
  • vonniemusheemoo
    edited November 2012
    I get you guys want the 100 pages and the 1000 post, spamming junk just to do it is pretty sad

don't think its considered spam if you just got to see this -.-
    ijs ~
  • jhkx123
    jhkx123 Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Naww.. im serious when discussing what other forms of punishments can be used instead of perma-banning. I mean, i get that it is a serious offence but i'm hoping that there are some lighter punishments that can be given but still fits in with the matter at hand.
  • amarantos
    edited November 2012
    jhkx123 wrote: »
    Naww.. im serious when discussing what other forms of punishments can be used instead of perma-banning. I mean, i get that it is a serious offence but i'm hoping that there are some lighter punishments that can be given but still fits in with the matter at hand.

most people would say the permaban is an appropriate punishment. anything else and there will still be the idea that 'i did something 'illegal', and can still get away with it'. there isn't exactly a lesson to be learned from doing 1000 cooking tuts if at the end of the day your character that did bad things remains more or less the same.
  • renisbackagain
    renisbackagain Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    most people would say the permaban is an appropriate punishment.

Given that the "exploit" was amazingly stupid, so easy a kid could do it, and quite frankly embarrasing for a company to make such a poorly coded web page, and additionally the fact that they have previously never deleted items gained in previous serious exploits nor punished the users, they have set the stage saying it is ok so exploit while you can or you'll miss out.

Exploits are exploits and should all be treated the same, so that there is NO confusion.

All bans should be removed, and they should fix their stance. In the meantime, the only way to be fair is to remove ALL exploited items, and that includes the cats and purple arena gear from past exploits.

And I'm amazed this thread still managed to amass a great deal of stupidity/spam while I was not here here to draw out the mad bads.
    Want someone on a PWE game banned? Post some loose info about your enemy on an account seller website and even after years of petitioning they're f***ed!
    http://fw-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=3448841&postcount=1
    "Players that already received arena gear will be allowed to keep the gear (it's not their fault that the bug was there)." - RayPWE
  • amarantos
    edited November 2012
    Given that the "exploit" was amazingly stupid, so easy a kid could do it, and quite frankly embarrasing for a company to make such a poorly coded web page, and additionally the fact that they have previously never deleted items gained in previous serious exploits nor punished the users, they have set the stage saying it is ok so exploit while you can or you'll miss out.

Exploits are exploits and should all be treated the same, so that there is NO confusion.

All bans should be removed, and they should fix their stance. In the meantime, the only way to be fair is to remove ALL exploited items, and that includes the cats and purple arena gear from past exploits.

.....Which is still way too much time and energy for PWE to spend sorting though every single account. Banning is a simple solution, and it sends a clear message.

It's as simple as this: if you don't like how PWE is running their games (their business), then. just. quit.
  • Borsook - Eyrda
    Borsook - Eyrda Posts: 2,951 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    BTW as extra note, assume it used GET instead of POST. If they put ID in the URL it would be noticeable even for computer illiterate people. (but it's the exact same thing in the end)

e.g: (again, using my imaginary example but you get the point)

fw.perfectworld.com/halloween?Server=34189&Character=198439&ID=66
    .....Which is still way too much time and energy for PWE to spend sorting though every single account. Banning is a simple solution, and it sends a clear message.

It's as simple as this: if you don't like how PWE is running their games (their business), then. just. quit.
    That's kinda negative image. "too much time and energy" and "just ban cause it's easiest" = lazy mode.
  • Crum - Eyrda
    Crum - Eyrda Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Hot dayum xD This thread is on fiyah!

Just wanted to stop and lol @ all the IT geniuses posting here pretending to know a ** xD MySQL injection was my personal fav! I actually chuckled irl as I read that.

Just to back up Bors on this, this exploit (I refuse to call it a hack) involved nothing but changing the client side data sent by your browser. It doesn't matter if you used Firebug, Chrome, Fiddler or if you wrote your own browser to do it.

A MySQL injection would be something like modifying your username from "user1" to "user2", or giving yourself ZEN, or something along those lines server side, as in ON THE SERVER. That would be hacking, or unauthorized access. This exploit isn't since there was no accessing going on to begin with.

And while I'm at it, that ren person was right in saying that there were two no separate exploits. This goes for you people preaching what crab said as the holy gospel. Coz he's wrong.

Using Bors' example from a few pages earlier; when you accessed the page and the browser did its thing it generated 3 values. Lets call them "itemID", "charID", and "serverID".
    Hitting refresh generated a different "itemID" each time which is what is referred to as the "refresh exploit". However, at the same time that was happening, it was also possible to change the "itemID" MANUALLY by using firebug/notepad/your old toaster. So while some people were mashing F5, others were mailing non existent pet skills to their mailbox instead (and got banned).

Now, while fixing the "refresh exploit" when the page originally went down, the coders changed how the entire thing works and now your browser only had querys for "charID" and "serverID". "itemID" was no longer editable, or for that matter visible to the end user/exploiter.

Capishe?

I mean there's like three people in this thread who know what they're talking about but they're being choked out by an enraged mob of computer-illiterate people "Coz the GM said so". Coz everything the GMs say is true. Hell I believe it was crab who said they'd keep a keen eye on PWI's economy/leaf prices after the initial spike in gold from 100k to 200k. 3 years later gold is at 2mil. I mean it's not the dudes fault, its in his job description to feed bs to the community when needed just to keep us happy. But just coz "they sed so" doesn't make it so. Get a clue before you go on a holy crusade (while being clueless and making yourself look like an idiot) or better yet, just don't say anything and let the ones who DO know, explain and educate the public (like bors, aesica and ren tried).

@some of the banned people QQing. While this exploit wasn't illegal per se as some brainiacs here are trying to make it appear, it most certainly was a ToS violation. You all knew the rules, now grow a pair and take some responsibility for it. I mean seriously, you're using the "you never banned anyone so it's okay" line as your plea. For real? Man up and deal with it, jeez.

Knowing PWE, huge csers get unbanned (started with dusty on friday, more prolly to come tomorrow, dan probably being an exception since what he did was just downright idiotic in how he abused the bug), while free players/small time csers are used to make an example out of them as a scare tactic for possible future abuse.

Tough ****.
  • amarantos
    edited November 2012
    BTW as extra note, assume it used GET instead of POST. If they put ID in the URL it would be noticeable even for computer illiterate people. (but it's the exact same thing in the end)

e.g: (again, using my imaginary example but you get the point)

fw.perfectworld.com/halloween?Server=34189&Character=198439&ID=66

gosh where was that one post i said pages earlier about beating a dead horse and then beating it dead again after it became a zombie :(

let it go already, pointless semantics arguing is pointless.

we've all always known pwe is lazy, why is this any surprise :confused:
  • renisbackagain
    renisbackagain Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Actually, no. A server rollback should have been done. It does not take much time or effort.

I have seen companies able to do account-based rollbacks, buy I seriously doubt the competence of the people running PWE's servers..lol
    Want someone on a PWE game banned? Post some loose info about your enemy on an account seller website and even after years of petitioning they're f***ed!
    http://fw-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=3448841&postcount=1
    "Players that already received arena gear will be allowed to keep the gear (it's not their fault that the bug was there)." - RayPWE
  • s2piakjr
    s2piakjr Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    What funneh is people that got banned are QQing and rage their anger in the forum knowing what they did is wrong.

The Funniest excuses of all is PWI never banned anyone in the past and why should they now? Having the mindset of Lets find any possible way to exploit the game, we wont get banned and even if we did, its just for few days. PWI will release our accounts in few days time with/without exploited items.

Result - They start exploiting the game.

But when Crabby announce that accounts that are banned will be banned permanently..

BOOM!!!

RAGE... QQ-ing.. and defending, i did not use 3rd party, yadda yadda...

Just because you are not banned in the past, doesn't mean you wont get banned now.. PWI is good enough to give you guys few chances in the past yet you decide to do it again.

Totally deserved it..

To the innocence 1, i sincerely hope that PWI will release your account back after the investigation.

Cheerios,
  • amarantos
    edited November 2012
    Actually, no. A server rollback should have been done. It does not take much time or effort.

I have seen companies able to do account-based rollbacks, buy I seriously doubt the competence of the people running PWE's servers..lol

except for where people brought up the point about what happens during a server rollback to people who bought leaves/transferred zen during that time? then pwe has to spend time tracking down who spent what, and give that back to people, which, is time and effort they can avoid by just banning. because we all know how long it takes pwe to compensate people for stuff.
  • Crum - Eyrda
    Crum - Eyrda Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Bish please. PWE didn't rollback servers when BILLIONS of coins were injected into one of their games overnight. This incident pales in comparison as far as server wide impact goes.
    Not to mention 20 people exploiting a bug doesn't warrant something as drastic as a rollback. Not by a longshot.
  • Chocolate_Rain - Storm Legion
    Chocolate_Rain - Storm Legion Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited November 2012

a rollback because you are banned, **** the rest of the community...you just want to log-in again. go ** yourself with that server rollback ****. It will never happen.
    It's pretty sad when a game forum is more entertaining than the actual game itself.
  • b1polargod
    b1polargod Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Bad boy Bad Boy, What ya gonna do when they come for you? Bottom line Bro you got knocked the !@#$5 out..
This discussion has been closed.