Bard Sleep Issue

Demyx - Storm Legion
Demyx - Storm Legion Posts: 387 Arc User
edited November 2012 in Bard Discussion
So lately I've noticed issues with my sleep as a Bard. One has gone on since the beginning, it's just become more noticeable to me. The other just recent.

The first problem I've seen I'm sure any bard that PvPs has noticed. Unlike a lot of skills in the game, the animation to our skill goes off before the effect. The large plume of light comes off of us, and it's not until about another second that the effect takes place. In a situation where we're using our sleep as a defense ability and NOT a strategic, that delay makes it impossible to stop charge skills and other AoEs skills. What's worse, because of the mechanics of the game, we can't attempt a cast directly after it's interrupted.

All of that is really game mechanics. It's always been that way, and it's just a pain to work around. The latter though is something that I don't believe is right. The order of events is normally "Animation goes off, 1 second later effect occurs and then the skill goes on CD". Lately though, I've had the animation go off, the skill go on cooldown, and it not affect anyone. I'm not talking the party using badges either, since there's a noticeable pause in movement between when they fall under sleep and when they use the badge. There were no means for the party to avoid the spell either. No Rocky, no Voice of Freedom...none of those. The spell simply fizzled. I thought perhaps it had been interrupted, but at the time I had not been attacked either, and the spell was in cooldown.

If possible it'd be nice if other bards could test these issues, as I believe even the former comment about the animation going off too soon is working against us. If more people point out the issue, perhaps they might deem it minor enough to fix.
Post edited by Demyx - Storm Legion on
Part of the fun of playing the game is wading through 98% of the idiots and trolls to find the 2% who you enjoy playing with.

Comments

• Jigglypuff - Eyrda
    Jigglypuff - Eyrda Posts: 605 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The plume being visible before the effect has its downfalls because seeing the plume means a wind bard for example can cast VoF at the right time that sleep is only half a second active. However interrupting ure own sleep cast before the effect occurs catches ppl ofgaurd, since some ppl wil use badges and escapes right after the plume is visible. Although dont use this trick to often since if ppl know u do it often they will take it into account.

I myself have not had my sleep go on cd yet without any effect but il keep an eye on it tonight in arena just to make sure.
  • Lourd - Eyrda
    Lourd - Eyrda Posts: 317 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    first issue: that is incorrect, animation always goes off before effect on any other skills, although divine comedy has one of the more noticeable cast animations. for example you can cast sonata of water as you are being assaulted by a warrior, you may see the water pillar kind of thing going up and looking like you finished casting but you will be interrupted and stunned, with no shield

second issue: never had such a problem in pvp or pve
  • Demyx - Storm Legion
    edited October 2012
    first issue: that is incorrect, animation always goes off before effect on any other skills, although divine comedy has one of the more noticeable cast animations. for example you can cast sonata of water as you are being assaulted by a warrior, you may see the water pillar kind of thing going up and looking like you finished casting but you will be interrupted and stunned, with no shield

second issue: never had such a problem in pvp or pve

The casting animation for a 1sec skill vs a 2sec skill is a longer pause. Seeing the animation of a 1sec cast skill go off before the effect can be thrown to variation in server time, especially if it's interrupted during a warrior stun. a 2sec cast skill however who's animation goes off with enough noticeable delay between the animation and the effect that other players can take action BEFORE the effect goes off is a different story.

Also, you say "As you're being assaulted" which I assume means you see the warrior coming and put up your bubble. That means they have already cast their skill and you're trying to get a skill in before the effect of their skill goes off. The fact it fails to protect you from the stun and interrupts your spell only furthers my point, since there's not enough time between when the "animation" of their skill goes off and the effect takes place for you to cast a 1sec skill. There IS however enough time between when you see a Bard Divine Comedy go off and the effect happens to say...Pitch and interrupt the skill, or pop Rocky Protection.
    Part of the fun of playing the game is wading through 98% of the idiots and trolls to find the 2% who you enjoy playing with.
  • Lourd - Eyrda
    Lourd - Eyrda Posts: 317 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    no, it's not lag, many skills in this game have pre-cast animations that give away the skill that is about to be used (the tooltip displayed "cast time" is misleading, as i will explain why)

for example:

protector's force of fury (2.5 sec cast time) has a long pre cast animation, some kind of dust gathering and and prot raising the hammer before the actual blow. at any time before the blow this skill can easily be interrupted and everything will be wasted

assassin's dark nightmare (2 sec cast time) has almost no pre-cast animation, instead there is a slight delay between first and second blow, and interrupting it during this time will make only the first hit land -> this used to be important because only the second hit used to silence but i think this got changed some time ago iirc

bard's divine comedy is like force of fury in that it has a long pre cast animation

assault's cast time is 0.5 sec, it's very easy to interrupt 1 sec cast skills with it (after they were cast) in a lag free environment
  • Demyx - Storm Legion
    edited October 2012
    no, it's not lag, many skills in this game have pre-cast animations that give away the skill that is about to be used (the tooltip displayed "cast time" is misleading, as i will explain why)

for example:

protector's force of fury (2.5 sec cast time) has a long pre cast animation, some kind of dust gathering and and prot raising the hammer before the actual blow. at any time before the blow this skill can easily be interrupted and everything will be wasted

assassin's dark nightmare (2 sec cast time) has almost no pre-cast animation, instead there is a slight delay between first and second blow, and interrupting it during this time will make only the first hit land -> this used to be important because only the second hit used to silence but i think this got changed some time ago iirc

bard's divine comedy is like force of fury in that it has a long pre cast animation

assault's cast time is 0.5 sec, it's very easy to interrupt 1 sec cast skills with it (after they were cast) in a lag free environment

Okay...I'm not denying or even coming close to saying certain skills don't have pre-animation. However a dust cloud that's close to the player vs a plume of blue/green light that goes out 15m...there's a BIG difference. One is noticed by players close by who happen to be looking at the caster...the other alerts EVERYONE who happened to be within that 15m range, allowing anyone who has an "immunity" skill to use it before the effect happens. The same delay isn't seen in Frost Mage AoE which freezes or Burst MM's burn (not meant as an attack on either class...just using them as examples).

My problem isn't so much that there is a delay...it's that the delay in OUR case sends out a red flag to people who would otherwise NOT be informed. It's like a Light Bard casting Solo of Light and waiting for the people to rush to them after the beam of light comes down on them...THEN healing them. It makes the skill less effective since it's not an attack, it's only a status effect which can be countered without being anywhere near the caster.
  • cuthecrap
    cuthecrap Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Okay :D for starters first issue, you shouldn't have in account the skill animation since due to game mechanics many animations are kinda broken. Just follow the cast bar progress, that's the only thing related to skill trigger, as easy as: Cast bar reached the end, skill triggers^^

Second issue, sorry to say, but i never had any problem like that, only occasion where sleep doesn't trigger is when opponents are immune to it.