test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will marksmen ever be useful in pvp?

ILikeBigGu - IllyfueILikeBigGu - Illyfue Posts: 1,066 Arc User
edited September 2012 in General Discussion
Sorry in advance if i got annoying choice of words my english ain't so superb.

Not saying we must have to become OP of any kind just curious if there will be any improvements for our class in the future so we are at least somewhat useful in the pvp section. Its a reason nobody play MM - they suck, and its pretty wellknown that they do.

Trying to sum up the profits of all classes and then you can compare them with mm,
probably missed some for some classes but its just to give you a picture of the situation

Bard - continuously mana drains (HIGH amount) slow +imunity to silence stun
Sins - Two stealth/swift, super high dps/30% higher dmg upon crit, not to mention long sleep lots of silence and stun.
Mage - Transform with short cc, aoe freeze, ice block and slowed when attacked when shield up.
Protector - stun shield, rocky, bubble and aoe stuns
Priest - mana drain, cancel healing, stun, sleep, wind of blessing(immunity to damage) los/self heal ability
Vamp- feast, bound, stun, double hp, stun, silence, slow, imunity to slow.
Warrior- reflect, stun, double crit chance for a while (easy to finish of/high dps)

Marksmen - If hunters marked 2sec stun 60% chance, 6sec silence 60% chance. Ensnare if they are at a certain distance (45cd). bubble at the cost of 3bullets 75%dmg reduced untill 75-115% damage is taken (30-45sec cd). reduced targets acc -240 (with talent bonuses) (300cd) and our racial skill as dwarf give us +1crit dodge and +5eva which is pretty worthless compared to others racial skills.

As well as our damage aint really superb, most our servers top dps had around 60mastery at their best element while i had 90main/85 at second. them using gears such as arena set, me using +2% crit chance gear at head chest legs, crit dmg/crit chance id at every piece, EB wep, flying boss 78 boots. Yet them holding aggros at bosses.

We are a "ranged" class yet everyone else pretty much reach us as quick as we reach them so we cannot really abuse the range anywhere. Also to be mentioned if i do a quick skill and lets say a warrior charge me he tend not to get hit even if i see my skill going into him as if it got interupted even though i pulled the skill of before he reached me, i can even begin to launch the 2nd skill sometime and i get zero hits.

How is it at the servers in china? thats where we copy our updates from right? are they any better there? If someone got that knowledge?

Sorry if this end up as a QQ thread but i had to get it out of the system sometime! But would be so nice with some changes so we at least have something going. MM do make you go :mad: sometimes
Post edited by ILikeBigGu - Illyfue on
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Credits to BerenOneHand for the awesome sig

New arena video (2015/05/01):
youtube.com/watch?v=o3_ds-W-Hpo

Comments

• fthawefthawe Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    You miss the point that all the classes you put up there are Specialized talent trees.

Show pictures of your first 5 attack skills and then people can compare the damage
  • ILikeBigGu - IllyfueILikeBigGu - Illyfue Posts: 1,066 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The lack of cc is more of a problem, OR the lack of something to counter/defend against it(such as bards shield) still the damage is not the best, we run out of skills so sometimes we have to auto atk as well on big hp bosses, or use 5sec skill but rather auto atk then, and the mastery /gear part speak for itself imo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Firebat - EyrdaFirebat - Eyrda Posts: 4,190 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Marksmen are good for accuracy buff! Duh!
    Lol
    [Sigpic][/Sigpic]
    GreyjoyKraken -Firebat has been revealed as an evil bridge troll. Seek him out and solve his riddles three to get the mythical 2013 holiday box.
  • Crum - EyrdaCrum - Eyrda Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Marksmen are good for accuracy buff! Duh!
    Lol

You're too oldschool. Now it's accuracy AND crit chance/dmg. Shoop da whoop!
  • Ghundrop - EyrdaGhundrop - Eyrda Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Ok for those do not know the most pvp oriented skill tree for a marksman is the Soul tree. If we are talking pvp most likely we are talking Soul.

Yes there are a few burst eva builds out there but you are talking serious cash shopping to get all those eva ids and its all for naught if you run into high accy teams.

Ok so lets focus on soul for a bit.

EVERY single effect we can inflict on the opposition first requires a target to be hunter marked. In my opinion hunters mark should have 0 cast time. I know bards have to cast chords but it is simply not the same. While you cast a chord you do something. While you cast hunters mark you do nothing!

Now next point. One skill effect we get is called disarm. It works by "disarming" the target of their weapon. Now here is the real deal:

Disarm only affect 2 classes significantly, mms and warriors who cannot use any skills at all if disarmed (I think). Disarming any other class is a waste of time because they can still use all (if not most) of their skills. To add further insult like most of our "cc" skills disarm has a moderate % chance of landing successfully.

As for our stuns here comes my number 2 favorite qq: EXTREEEEEEEEEME FAIL......I mean SNIPING. For a skill so extreme its extremely useless. Under no circumstance of competitive pvp have I ever been given 5 seconds to cast this skill and what do I get after 5 whopping seconds? A gauranteed 2...I repeat 2 yes a whole ..........2 seconds of stun and its all repeated every 30 seconds. Well blow me down. Wait but not enough insult to failuredom yet. In the long awaited nightfall patch ES gets an update through runes and guess which part it is? cmon................yup 80+ requirement to get the skill effect.....WOW!
    WOWOW WOWOWOWOWOWO.

Moving on. Bullets. What many players who have never played an mm do not know is that in addition to our skills requiring hunters mark we also need crack shot time activated (remember I am dealing with soul, its possible to play precision and to some extent burst without crackshot time on) which requires bullets. We our goodly developers decided that mms are op so bullets can run out far faster than we need them and the one skill taht gave you a bullet no longer does so UNLESS you you deactivate CRACKSHOT TIME. Imagine that. Are you for real.................
    Also in arena once we die we lose ALL of our bullets and as soul the most we can regen before the fight is 8 and that seldom happens (well 14 but you wouldnt use you shield reset stupidly). So once we die in arena (which is almost a given unless you have a nice priest friend) we are never as effective in the subsequent rounds because we are smapering around trying to defend from ganks and with reduced bullets to do so because............
    Our shield requires bullets too. Well whup te dooo. At this point anyone who cannot understand how hard and how much concentration and skill is required to play a mm at top level pvp is a plain ...........................

Now don't get me wrong im all for having penalties but when I see other classes get away scotch free like SINS it .................me off immensely!!!!!! What do sins lose out on when they stealth!!!!!!! What? What is the drawback to not 1 but 2 stealths!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I despise stealth as a mm because it is unbeatable! And guess which class almost always targets a mm.....yup other than EVERYONE ELSE CAUSE WE ARE EASIEST CLASS TO GANK SINS make us their #1 priority everytime. In every form of top level PvP the sin comes for me! and I can do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING but wait for it and then hope lag doesnt stop me from hitting my wrath/bubble combo in time!

Well at this point lemme say thank you to the developers for taking pity on us after a whole ................ year and improving our bubble. Boy did I feel like we had to BEG for that one.

Now back on track......yes range. Range? What range? How can we effective keep ourselves ranged when:

1) Sins and warrior negate range effortlessly. At least bards (water that is, and who at top level pvp doesnt take the water bard shield?) have real slows, sleep and freeze that don't take half a year to cast and last for longer than it takes for me to sneeze and in some cases can be recast pretty fast. MM no such luxury. In order to snare you I first have to create distance OMG WTF THAT IS DUMBBBBBBBBBBB! What were the developers doing when they thought this one out? Clearly it wasn't thinking!!!! You give war and sins moves that port them to us through ensnare with one being a stun ala assault with a reasonable cooldown and we have to run away to snare them? WOW again.

2) We have 1 I repeat 1 anti cc skill and like everything else we have that could be decent, it has a long cooldown. Well thaaaaaaank you.

Right ranged? Please. Ice mage yes, in fact mage period yes (cause of transform, slow etc), Bard esp water (slows, freeze etc) yes, Priest (divine shield and self heals or glacial slows) yes, Vamps (OMG they have the kitchen sink no need to go into details) HELLLLLL yes.
    MMs..?!? NOPE. Worst ranged class in game period!

Lets switch gears and talk about our ability to survive. Yes our shiled is awesome. The thing is though the other classes that have shields also have great cc skills and self heals. We got the great shield and not one ............ else! But wait. Shield is only awesome if you go soul. If you are precision.....I promised not to go there so I wont!

These are a few of the things wrong with an mm. A few. All however need not be mentioned IF the developers would NERF some of the other classes appropriately but PWEs record on nerfs is ABYSMAL. In fact the GMs here and in PWI my other PWE experience show an absolute 1) dearth of knowledge where top level PvP (the people who by the way shell out big bucks to stay on top) is concerned and 2) inability to spot inbalance (perhaps because when they do play all they focus on is having fun fun fun...right...fun...FUN FUN FUN remember what you said huh FUUUUUN!

If you think I am bsing just ask anyone who played/plays PWI what aps and sins did to the games pvp scenenery (and to think PWI staff had the gall to send me an email asking me why I no longer log on to PWI as if the million times we told them aps and sins needed nerfing was not enough of a .-.-..-l.-........CLUE!!!!!!!). 100 level and r8 magedom wasted cause I could no longer tolerate being twiched to death.

This is 1.5 years appraoching 2 just being arbitrary with numbers. I have qqed so many times I feel like ................ but because I know a small army of mms (good people who might be afraid to speak out) I come on these forums with little to no support and do my best to hint/highlight/expose/etc the plight of mms and appeal to the powers that be but all it falls on is nothing. No repsonse. Not a ................care but wait.....o yea....but its still fun.....right....FUN FUN FUN right mms are the games FUN FUN class.

Meanwhile everyday all I meet is more and more sins/vamps who rush level to 50-70.

Will we ever be useful in PvP? Not as long as we continue to get ignored. But hey in the immortal words of .................

".......fun........"
  • shadower777shadower777 Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I just read it ALL :eek: 2 words: i agree.
  • Borsook - EyrdaBorsook - Eyrda Posts: 2,951 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Well, I am a mage, and while I don't have it as bad as you by far (even though I admit your shield is OP, and mage mana shield is trash in real PvP, but we have WAY more perks) I do agree with everything you said.

Seems like they kinda made the long range classes take a big hit in alot of areas just because... of a almost useless range? I'm talking default, not with buffs (hence no Glacial Priest or Water Bard with Water Harmonics rune).

Doesn't surprise me though. After all chinese devs always favor sins.
  • Sassana - IllyfueSassana - Illyfue Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012

And in every asian game dwarfs never were a good fighters neve seen it in any korean/japanes/china mmo game where dwarfs were something good.

I am a bard(from cb ph4)(played mm in cb from ph2-4) but i tottaly agree they lack love from devs.

IMO bullet system should be a pasive not active or some addiction that would a bit speed it up for couple seconds.
    So the moral is..... Exploit everything and don't tell the gms or they will take it away.

Gotcha...

Don't ask, don't tell.

By FireBat

True story
  • g92kamissssg92kamissss Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I agree mm is by faaaaaaaaaaar worst class in the game
    i feel sad for them x.x prov for that just watch one day how many mm you see in FW you can count them on youre fingers XDDD wel wel hope they do somthing and make all happy aleast pooor mms :(
  • manueleddiemanueleddie Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I agree.... im happy i picked vamp ty god
  • Crum - EyrdaCrum - Eyrda Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Well, I am a mage, and while I don't have it as bad as you by far (even though I admit your shield is OP, and mage mana shield is trash in real PvP, but we have WAY more perks) I do agree with everything you said.

Seems like they kinda made the long range classes take a big hit in alot of areas just because... of a almost useless range? I'm talking default, not with buffs (hence no Glacial Priest or Water Bard with Water Harmonics rune).

Don't turn this into a "sins are op" thread. This is a qq mm thread :D

Mages are creme de la creme as far as fw classes go. The best aoe damage in the game, great cc (both single target and aoe if ice), and you have a panic button that renders you invincible. Yes sins give you trouble, we get that. They give everyone trouble xD

We're like a gimped version of you guys. Mediocre aoe if burst, virtually no aoe if anything else, no cc whatsoever regardless of the tree, and after a year and a half we get a decent defensive move so we suck a little bit less but still suck more than everyone else. Yay? I don't know why you think our shield is OP. It would be op if one managed to get lvl90 blue rune energy (lol) and the description is true (unlikely considering what we've seen from other classes lvl45/50 rune passives). Bard shield and rocky protection I would consider OP. Our shield is (imho) just right. Kinda like yours. Helpful definitely, but not really OP since it eats our bullets (or mana in your case) and doesn't last that long. Not to mention it still leaves us open to cc.

What really gets me is that our dps sucks. For being the squishiest class in game, you'd expect us to also be the best dps class. Or at least 2nd best. But no, sins, mages, vamps (lol charmed strike), warriors, hell even rebel priests easily outdps us. And they all have better cc and survivability. I really wouldn't mind mms keeping our crappy skillset if our overall dps was boosted and we were an actual dps class. As an archer in pwi I actually had to watch my aggro even without aps. I was squishy - yes. But I was also the hardest hitting class along with mages. Not to mention I was able to make excellent use of range. Here we're just ****ed.
  • ex725ex725 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    i play sin and compare mm to sin or mm to any other class its kinda useless for they are ugly week for example my friend is mm class he can never find party for 3v3 or anything to do about pvp none want him :( he quit already so kinda sad story even for pve they are not best pick vamp sin can out dps easy
  • fuzzzfuzzz Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    mm SUXXXXX tru sh it XD but they got 1 good thing aleast they are cute hahah that only thing XD and they are rare for none play it
  • Borsook - EyrdaBorsook - Eyrda Posts: 2,951 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Don't turn this into a "sins are op" thread. This is a qq mm thread :D

Mages are creme de la creme as far as fw classes go. The best aoe damage in the game, great cc (both single target and aoe if ice), and you have a panic button that renders you invincible. Yes sins give you trouble, we get that. They give everyone trouble xD
    I will not complain specifically about sins but I will give examples to illustrate why, even though we have a panic button that's probably better than what you guys have, we still have it worst (except MM).

Ice Barrier, yes, makes us immune and everything. But we run out of wrath, because we can't MOVE. While other classes get Rocky Protection (being able to move AND attack, when I just want to be able to move to get orbs!!) and Shadow Protection etc (3k eva is close to immune), how is this not gimped and one of the worst panic buttons in existence?

Even MM's cloud can be better depending on situation -- because it helps your whole party, not just yourself. Almost every mage defensive skill is crippling. Ice Barrier sounds good in theory because it is copied from WoW, but WoW does not have orbs!! How can devs be so stupid to not see this fact?

It is like a self-darkbond. Darkbond is a curse. For obvious reasons. Are you sure it is such a good thing?

Mana Shield -- draining yourself of mana, yeah.. Especially in group pvp, crippling skill as well.
    edited September 2012
    Well perhaps mages would have more use of ours, haven't played mage so i cant tell :/

I just know i must save bubble for when priest got divine bubble in cd. So a barrier waiting for the cd would be alot more effective, for me personally. Still it doesn't matter, pointless arguing about who got better shield :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Aishleen - EyrdaAishleen - Eyrda Posts: 2,005 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I will not complain specifically about sins but I will give examples to illustrate why, even though we have a panic button that's probably better than what you guys have, we still have it worst (except MM).

Ice Barrier, yes, makes us immune and everything. But we run out of wrath, because we can't MOVE. While other classes get Rocky Protection (being able to move AND attack, when I just want to be able to move to get orbs!!) and Shadow Protection etc (3k eva is close to immune), how is this not gimped and one of the worst panic buttons in existence?

Even MM's cloud can be better depending on situation -- because it helps your whole party, not just yourself. Almost every mage defensive skill is crippling. Ice Barrier sounds good in theory because it is copied from WoW, but WoW does not have orbs!! How can devs be so stupid to not see this fact?

It is like a self-darkbond. Darkbond is a curse. For obvious reasons. Are you sure it is such a good thing?

Mana Shield -- draining yourself of mana, yeah.. Especially in group pvp, crippling skill as well.
    Shadow Protection can not be used while CC'd, Ice Barrier can. Same as Rocky Protection, Weakening Cloud, Divine Uphold / Blade of Reflection, Light of Sanctuary.

Most of the time you are in "panic" you are CC'd until you get a few more shots to death. Shadow protection isn't a real panic button, ice barrier is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Summanus - IllyfueSummanus - Illyfue Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    They gave MM the coolest dances! Balanced out in my opinion. xD

Guns is easily the most OP MM on the server. If he thinks MM are underwhelmed with their abilities, I'm not gonna argue.

I got a burst MM alt and can say, their survivability rate is kinda low in comparison to other classes. When i used to pvp, MM were always easy to kill, didnt take long. Quite close to mages, as long as u can get to them quick.

I suspect most MMs on our server who pvp are all Precision. Don't see one Soul MM on the server. Maybe ur all missing something there?

But on the whole agree with Guns mostly.

Game needs balancing and not just with MM, Prots, Bards also. But I doubt anything will change. As long as ur all happy buying orbs and funding their paychecks, they wont listen to you.
    Summanus | 80 Diamond Geezer Protector - retired

Play the game, don't let the game play you.
    edited September 2012
    We cannot use weaking cloud in cc.
    The sentence is kind of blurry for me not sure if your trying to say we can use it in cc or if we can not ^^

Precision got zero useful cc except extreme sniping at 5sec casttime for 2sec stun and 45cd.. we dont have any mm with success in arena at our server. Its pretty much impossible if you dont gear up twice as worth as the other pvp classes.
    Protectors are actually fine imo, bard really do not need to be buffed they are the best pvp class in the game imo combined with a great team which can keep you alive long enough to drain them down.. bluedragon is prot at our server and im going with him all the time, he can manage on his own. lots of selfblessings/refl and stuff and keeping them stunned most of the time.

And yeah I agree, doubt anything will change.
    If they dont at the Chinese server that is, as we seem to copy them to 100%, just language changed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited September 2012
    I meant buff prots a bit more. We cant all be like Blue, seriously. xD

Bards need nerfing. They have too many OP abilities, specially vs a melee class.

edited September 2012
    Why are you going Precision if you want PvP? It can work in PvP but it's a known fact as the "PvE tree" (like Marble, venom, etc)

Try soul first for that, it gets some CC and a burst damage 55 skill (useful in PvP)

I'm not saying MMs aren't weak, but you aren't even trying their full potential by going the wrong tree for what you want.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    Most MMs on my server are Precision mainly for the party buffs. 2.5% crit chance and attack increase helps kill mobs quicker.

But like I say, I haven't seen one Soul MM on my server. Most seem to be burst or precision, so assuming they are missing out on something for arena.

• asd29asd29 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Why are you going Precision if you want PvP? It can work in PvP but it's a known fact as the "PvE tree" (like Marble, venom, etc)

Try soul first for that, it gets some CC and a burst damage 55 skill (useful in PvP)

I'm not saying MMs aren't weak, but you aren't even trying their full potential by going the wrong tree for what you want.
    Guns was soul last i checked.

My problem with the class has been pointed out - the whole hunter's mark thing. You don't even get any value for having to cast 2 skills. You only get a 50% (60% if you take a talent in soul called dwarf's luck) to stun/silence/disarm. The stun is a laughable 2 seconds - considering the time it takes to cast combined 2 skills is approx 2 secs in optimum conditions. Disarm is pretty useless - I can understand why it doesn't on vamps but for the other classes that actively use the weapon it should deny casting. How exactly does a bard produce notes without a harp? Are they farting out notes? You have 1 guaranteed cc that's viable however it's a 45 sec cd and it has a minimum range. The other requires mark and a 5 sec skill - for a 2 sec stun.

If we had quick cast times for the other skills it's not really an issuue but when you have to use Hunters Mark combined with a 2-3 sec cast skill it's not really viable because range is difficult to maintain as a mm and you are extremely susceptible to cc

I'd like to see if anyone from the CN servers rocks up as a mm in the tourney and has a decent outing. Either we all suck or it's just broken. Honestly IMO it won't take a lot to make a mm viable. It's just a matter if devs give a ****/or are willing to make adjustments. But I doubt it, some of the comments from mods indicate otherwise and CN is open pvp all day every day so you'd think these issues would have been more apparent.
    As a level 80MM my advice for anyone wanting to be a MM - fun class to play. But it's not a button mash class. Be prepared for some frustration
  • DeathRider - EyrdaDeathRider - Eyrda Posts: 376 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I agree, poor MM been so nerfed while other classes like Sins keep getting oper.

Im Mage, and as I said, Mages are near to be as "Fun to Play" as MM are now, If mages still survives its due to their AoEs and Spammable Skills... Out of that nothing, Transform is nothing that many classes actually can cancel and theres also Badges.
    [sigpic]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig/enjin-46579-1307226035276116204-green.png[/sigpic]

Endurance is one of the most difficult disciplines, but it is to the one who endures that the FINAL Victory comes.
  • Isock - EyrdaIsock - Eyrda Posts: 589 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    complains about mm= 2 mages comes to complain about their class too
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    Most MMs on my server are Precision mainly for the party buffs. 2.5% crit chance and attack increase helps kill mobs quicker.

But like I say, I haven't seen one Soul MM on my server. Most seem to be burst or precision, so assuming they are missing out on something for arena.
    Can't you get the crit chance with runes now?

As for Guns being precision or soul, my bad, I just saw him say "Precision has zero useful CC" so I assumed he's precision :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Guenavuerre - IllyfueGuenavuerre - Illyfue Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    hi gunssss!! yes buff mm, every class got some good things some more than others but mm is really underpowered esp in terms of guaranteed cc m033.gifm147.gif
    [SIGPIC]http://s7.postimage.org/qzfzngasr/201220806_GOSdmg.jpg[/SIGPIC]

|sirwillyydarkvamp80grimreapers|
    [Dyos-80 Nyos-80]
  • supernoobstersupernoobster Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Ahem! Roll the footage!
    EndGame marskman

Saw this guy a few days ago. Serious acc build on his gear. Every piece of gear he has at least 18+ acc. Sadly, he has everything maxed so this video doesn't say much about marskman. For a average player, marksman are not very good for PvPing. You have to put either a ton more time or cash than most other classes like in mastery, gear, and pets to be good in arena. Remember I said more cash and effort than other classes.
  • asd29asd29 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Look at the people he's up against look to be lvl 1 wings and low resists, he's on3 wings and what looks like 80+ mastery so he's one shotting everyone nearly. Says nothing.

Note: just had a look on lionheart and he's struggling now as well barely 2400 in 3's
    As a level 80MM my advice for anyone wanting to be a MM - fun class to play. But it's not a button mash class. Be prepared for some frustration
    edited September 2012
    double post T.T go next page
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited September 2012

ehum, we play at the same server. its near as many soul as there are precision. and precision sucks >.< (perhaps at lower wings/mastery its better for pt due to atk buff but still its not a tree for pvp) muuch higher dps for pve as soul, more cc and survivability. however none of them are at any success there.. and you have crit damage and crit chance buff as soul
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]