Lower the difficulty for Ancestral Catacomb

PEZ - Eyrda
PEZ - Eyrda Posts: 466 Arc User
edited March 2012 in Suggestion Box
This instance is far too complex and takes far too long to complete, even at level 79, considering the terrible payoff. It's definitely do-able, even when you first unlock it at 65. The first two bosses are tank and spank. Hell, the third is scripted and is hardly a threat to life. It's just that there are a lot of things that should be changed to make this a more enjoyable instance.

For starters, there is way too much needless running. I would love to see a teleport NPC option at the beginning of the instance. Rather than bypassing all the mobs prior to the first boss (making the instance too easy), the teleport brings you to the room before the boss (with all the snakes) and makes you fight all the mobs up to that point in one big batch. People already do this, except they have to run through a quarter of the instance to gather up all the mobs.

Second, some mobs are annoying as hell. Either the zeke mobs or the purple mobs (during the second wave of trash mobs that comes after the first boss) interrupt casting. This isn't challenging. It's just aggravating as hell and it slows down the AoE process.

Third, some of the bosses are ball busters. The third boss (the scripted one with the stanchions). . .like, wtf. What a waste of time. It doesn't kill you or anything. It doesn't take much logic to figure it out. It's only special power is closing back up right when it's at 5% HP, making you break the stanchions again whilst raging your balls off. This whole boss should be removed. Actually, I'm not sure if it is required to progress, but if it is, it should just be removed.

The fourth and fifth bosses. . .WTF. What the hell is with this mana drain bullcrap? Again, it's not challenging. It's just a huge waste of time and pots, offsetting the instance rewards with high soul gold loss. Make it like the mana drain in other instances, like Trevores or Media. In other words, make it random depletion and repletion of mana. That way, you experience the loss of the ability to cast spells temporarily, without actually losing 5 minutes worth of mana.

Lastly, is Larex. Stop making us backtrack 2 minutes to get to the boss. Take the seemingly random floor teleporter placed 1,000 feet behind us and place it in the fifth boss's room after it is killed. On to the actual boss fight. Everything is pretty much fine until he starts casting his special attack which hits like 90% of the max HP of whoever has aggro. Like. . .WTF? That's fine and dandy when your tank is level 65 with 20K HP. But when your tank is 79 with 40KHP, it's just a complete waste of mana having to heal them back up to full health everytime he does that.

Lastly, lastly, the rewards are ****. Unless you completey revamp the instance, it's going to take AT LEAST 30 mins, though usually 45 mins. All that for 4 or 5 mixed greens and blues, because skills rarely drop. Whoopty doo. Only 545 more pieces to get from level 4 scavenging to level 5. Forgotten Prison is faster and you get wineglasses. Aeon Spire is about as fast and you get chalices, unless you go hardmode which is 3 times faster and gets you chalices AND a stormstone.

Few people are doing this instance because it is painful. Unfortunately, a lot of people need it because there isn't enough scavenging going on, at least not in my realm.
Post edited by PEZ - Eyrda on
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The servers are extended gutters and the gutters are full of nova packs and when the drains finally scab over, all the players will drown. The accumulated wealth of all their orb opening and +12 refining will foam up about their waists and all the noobs and elites will look up and shout "Thank you!"

... and I'll whisper "Rollback."

Comments

• Varnania - Eyrda
    Varnania - Eyrda Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    man i dont think they need to fix this instance but i would say a teloporter to teloport you to places of different bosses as you go through would be nice. it would be just one ncp and after ever boss if you res at entrace all you would have to do is go to the teloporter pick the boss your on then hit teloport but i do agree with boss number 3 i hate that one and also the mana boss aint that hard but i do think they need to up the rate at which scrolls drop from larex becuase ive been trying for shadow scar several times and never got it and ive done the instance hundreds of times
  • Aishleen - Eyrda
    Aishleen - Eyrda Posts: 2,005 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    I don't think they intended people to skip all mobs and AoE them all together, lol.

Mobs interrupting are actually an annoyance and could be challenging at 65-70 with weak gears, I remember we had some wipes pulling "too many" when I was farming it at 70 cap.

I agree third boss is a huge waste of time and no point to it, it should at least give you some danger of wiping the pt.

2nd boss isn't tank and spank you're supposed to run from the direction it shoots shurikens at. You get a constant damage and it wasn't negligible when I was farming it at 70 cap, there was almost always someone dying actually. But now people are just too overgeared or high level to make it matter.

Mana drain bosses are just lame and wasting your pots I agree, and they die too hard -.-

And Larex... it's supposed to use % of your HP so it is a challenge regardless of gear... if it's annoying you too much for heals just tell the tank to unequip his boots :D lmao

I agree about the rewards though they really need to boost them up in general in all instances, and maybe skill drop rates in AC too

Overall AC is one of my least favorite instances and the environment in it is dull too >.> Most bosses there are just pure annoyance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Orissa - Illyfue
    Orissa - Illyfue Posts: 496 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    The stone face is the best boss, it requires you to watch carefully when to initiate, some kind of noob trap
    Cobra is very common, so it's ok as for the first boss
    Tree could recharge it's shield only 1 time and spam AoE more often, then it would be almost a real challenge
    Mana drain of the next bosses could be replaced with spammable silence, so it would be a challenge for healers and tanks (to keep constant healing and aggro)
    Larex is fine, his percentage dmg forces to be ready for potions and preventional heal over time. You also don't have to be worried about total HP (like: omg, I must have +10k HP coz he hits for 8k)
    The rewards could be really better, green gear from Larex, are they kidding us?
  • Axym - Lionheart
    Axym - Lionheart Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    I don't think I have ever had problems with AC, O.o

Make sure you go in with a balanced team, and you should do fine. If you're having problems with AC, how are you doing FP? or AS?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    As long as I'm captain, the rum shall never be gone.
    tinyurl.com/FWEmotes courtesy of Deltatroopa
  • Acier - Eyrda
    Acier - Eyrda Posts: 381 Arc User
    edited March 2012

Make sure you go in with a balanced team, and you should do fine. If you're having problems with AC, how are you doing FP? or AS?

Not difficulty as in "OMG I can't do this", but more of a have it waste much less of your time and for better stuff type of way.

I have to agree, the whole thing is time consuming and painful to run through. I would prefer to have it just a quick and easy, one of the very few times I prefer that.
  • PEZ - Eyrda
    PEZ - Eyrda Posts: 466 Arc User
    edited March 2012

It's 100% obvious you didn't read any more than the title of the thread required.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The servers are extended gutters and the gutters are full of nova packs and when the drains finally scab over, all the players will drown. The accumulated wealth of all their orb opening and +12 refining will foam up about their waists and all the noobs and elites will look up and shout "Thank you!"

... and I'll whisper "Rollback."
  • YukikoMika - Nyos
    YukikoMika - Nyos Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    I wouldn't necessary call it a "difficult" instance, just an extremely tedious one. Well Nyos isn't exactly the most populated server anyways, but it can be rather difficult to find a party for it, because people just don't like it.
    The map feels unnecessarily big, and the third boss is rather time-consuming and irritating. I do help out with it for people gathering scavenging mats, but it's probably my least favourite instance on the game next to LCS.
  • ICanHazLoliz - Illyfue
    ICanHazLoliz - Illyfue Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    AC is ridiculously easy. It's simply longer than it should be.

The tree boss is indeed pretty stupid and pointless, but that's about it. The mana-drain bosses are actually a challenge for many people who for some reason can't seem to coordinate potion and attack patterns... and Larex is a nice boss that simply needs concentration. The whole instance is pretty much soloable, that's how easy the bosses are...

Oh, and that backtrack is indeed pointless as well, but 2 minutes? Come on, it's only like 30 seconds...
  • Aishleen - Eyrda
    Aishleen - Eyrda Posts: 2,005 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    The mana-drain bosses are actually a challenge for many people who for some reason can't seem to coordinate potion and attack patterns...
    Probably noobs who click on skills and don't use hotkeys lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Yam - Lionheart
    Yam - Lionheart Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    how to beat AC: take a good wind bard. :U
  • Frostum - Illyfue
    Frostum - Illyfue Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Its not a "hard" instance, its just way too long, i mean
    Instances should e like this:
    Enter->buffs>mobs > boss> gear
    Not like
    Enter>300 m marathon>pull mobs>aoe>500m marathon>boss>**** gear>200 m marathon> stupid boss> **** gear??(ive done some cata2 runs i wouldnt get a single drop for my class, just for scavenging)>oh god a teleport>has it been half an hour already??> 200 pots wasted>> kill larex>>wtf no drops, not again=(

This is cata 2(AC) it certainly needs a revanp(i did skip some parts to make it sorter)
  • Varnania - Eyrda
    Varnania - Eyrda Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    yea if they need to lower difficulty lvls its with FP or AS although i have not done AS myself imagine its much harder then FP and no instance should require a 20k+ hp requirement. plus the map is way too complicated so if theirs instances these devs have messed up on its FP and AS not AC infact im making a new thread
  • Trogotha - Storm Legion
    Trogotha - Storm Legion Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Its not a "hard" instance, its just way too long, i mean
    Instances should e like this:
    Enter->buffs>mobs > boss> gear
    Not like
    Enter>300 m marathon>pull mobs>aoe>500m marathon>boss>**** gear>200 m marathon> stupid boss> **** gear??(ive done some cata2 runs i wouldnt get a single drop for my class, just for scavenging)>oh god a teleport>has it been half an hour already??> 200 pots wasted>> kill larex>>wtf no drops, not again=(

This is cata 2(AC) it certainly needs a revanp(i did skip some parts to make it sorter)

Have to agree with the desire to make it shorter or at least put teleporters in between bosses. On the rare instance I get ganked, I can use both of my speed buffs one after the other with a combined cd of 370ish seconds due to overlap of cd times and be able to use both of them more than once to get from the start down to any of the last 3 bosses.
    Dear PWE Staff: I can haz avatar nao plox? :D
    For SCIENCE (and the LULZ)!
  • Acier - Eyrda
    Acier - Eyrda Posts: 381 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Have to agree with the desire to make it shorter or at least put teleporters in between bosses. On the rare instance I get ganked, I can use both of my speed buffs one after the other with a combined cd of 370ish seconds due to overlap of cd times and be able to use both of them more than once to get from the start down to any of the last 3 bosses.

Shortening it was essentially the purpose of this thread.
  • Hitoriki - Eyrda
    Hitoriki - Eyrda Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    I would definitely like to see less trash mobs in AC and higher drop rates for scrolls there, since a lot of the ones that drop in AC are very important and VERY expensive (AH, BR, etc) for their respective classes.
    Xiryn: Human Fire Mage
    Hitoriki: Elf Light Bard
    Endurance is one of the most difficult disciplines, but it to the one who endures that the final victory comes.
  • Trogotha - Storm Legion
    Trogotha - Storm Legion Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Shortening it was essentially the purpose of this thread.

That and complaints about the bosses along with the mob herds between them. Personally I think the bosses and mobs between them are fine as is, it's just the sheer physical size of the dungeon that makes it sooo bloody annoying if you die and the priest / bard lacks res skills.
    Dear PWE Staff: I can haz avatar nao plox? :D
    For SCIENCE (and the LULZ)!