What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hey look, a Talent Calculator!

Aesarin - Storm LegionAesarin - Storm Legion Posts: 697 Arc User
edited December 2011 in General Discussion
Introducing the...

Unofficial Forsaken World Talent Calculator

...powered by the Wanmei calculator

Note: If you see them ingame, be sure to give thanks to the people who took time out of their lives to help with the translation process--you wouldn't have a finished product if it wasn't for them. :D

Also, while it might be completely translated, I'm sure there's a few minor mistakes. Feel free to point them out so they can be corrected.
Post edited by Aesarin - Storm Legion on
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Is metroid's gun attached to his suit or is it a part of his arm?
English Talent Calculator: http://www.aesica.net/fw

Comments

• Noriso - EyrdaNoriso - Eyrda Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Not bad at all!!!
  • Redsnail - IllyfueRedsnail - Illyfue Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    lol xD how long did it take you to do this?

bet it wasn't as long as lets say a nameless multi million dollar corporation took xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nyxa - Storm LegionNyxa - Storm Legion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    WOW this is very impressive, and I'm also wondering how long it took you to do this :D
    [SIGPIC]http://img163.imageshack.us/i/deur0g.png/[/SIGPIC]
    Special thanks to chaosheart27 for the awesome sig
    I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. Edgar Allan Poe
  • Metzli - Storm LegionMetzli - Storm Legion Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    1000+ cheers to Aesarin!!! She deserves a free cash shop item of her choice. :D
  • Aesarin - Storm LegionAesarin - Storm Legion Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    lol xD how long did it take you to do this?
    Not that long, actually. Like I said, I had an afternoon of nothing to do, so I fed Wanmei's XML through google translate, then did mass search/replace on all of the closing tags and other things it screwed up. I did have to manually fix what was inside the <i> elements (talent descriptions) though, because sometimes, you'd get "herp derp <i> derp 1/2/3 hurrr</i>" instead of "<i>herp derp derp 1/2/3 hurr</i>" (the whole talent description needs to be inside the <i> tag)

To be fair to PWE though, I'm not sure they're allowed to just rip from another source like that, and the translation quality is much too poor to be considered a professional release.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Redsnail - IllyfueRedsnail - Illyfue Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Not that long, actually. Like I said, I had an afternoon of nothing to do, so I fed Wanmei's XML through google translate, then did mass search/replace on all of the closing tags and other things it screwed up. I did have to manually fix what was inside the <i> elements (talent descriptions) though, because sometimes, you'd get "herp derp <i> derp 1/2/3 hurrr</i>" instead of "<i>herp derp derp 1/2/3 hurr</i>" (the whole talent description needs to be inside the <i> tag)

To be fair to PWE though, I'm not sure they're allowed to just rip from another source like that, and the translation quality is much too poor to be considered a professional release.

well I just confirmed my full build and got it saved now didn't look at text much, just referred to the game xD

and yeah but... this long? it's been 4 days from a month now and this took 1 afternoon? xD

someone needs to take the mini-fridge with all the beer in it out of the office
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bayona - Storm LegionBayona - Storm Legion Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    notworthy-gif.228

Seriously, amazing job. You have no idea (well you probably do) how happy you have made 99% of the community.

I vote sticky this thread! ;)
    [SIGPIC]http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/175/mytoonsg.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    "Never go to a doctor who's office plants have died"
  • Xsasukex - Storm LegionXsasukex - Storm Legion Posts: 1,568 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    [SIGPIC]http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/7664/xsasukex.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    xSasukex | 75 | Elemental | Warrior (retired)
    CuteNDeadly | 66 | Venom | Assassin <Naholdir's Princess>
  • Brsekr - IllyfueBrsekr - Illyfue Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    I made a correct translation for inferno vampire talent tree http://hotfile.com/dl/128743458/8ec979f/Inferno.xml.html it took one hour.
    If players that know their talent tree make translation for it - talent calc would be ready in a few days.
    Here http://shenmo.wanmei.com/xml/options.xml is a chinese version of talent trees.
  • Rover - IllyfueRover - Illyfue Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Great, great job.
    I'm with the others lol, phr33 internet for this brillant person, nao!!
    edited September 2011
    I made a correct translation for inferno vampire talent tree http://hotfile.com/dl/128743458/8ec979f/Inferno.xml.html it took one hour.
    If players that know their talent tree make translation for it - talent calc would be ready in a few days.
    Here http://shenmo.wanmei.com/xml/options.xml is a chinese version of talent trees.
    Nicely done! I've added your xml snippet to the main file, so anyone looking to play with inferno vampire talents is in luck. If anyone else wants to have a crack at getting their favorite class/tree properly translated, you can download the google-translated version of the xml file here.

For those who are considering lending a hand, I recommend pastebin when you're ready to upload. It's a lot easier to share text/code through pastebin than through traditional file hosts.

I already have translation data for divine & rebel priest trees, I just need to throw something together that will convert them from csv to xml. If I get bored, I'll probably have a crack at priest glacial and vampire blood as well, just because those are what my two main characters are speced into. Anything else is fair game, though!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Leisses - EyrdaLeisses - Eyrda Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    WOW! You really owned PWE this time =P
    edited September 2011
    Divine and Rebel priest trees are now fully translated. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • isqueezeisqueeze Posts: 10
    edited September 2011
    Comp Sci major/minor I presume? That or you just knew how to **** around with java coding.

Edit: Nvm, looked liked java at first glance :)
  • kinkin Posts: 10
    edited September 2011
    If you want, The Kin can give you the exact translations of the mage skill trees.
    edited September 2011
    isqueeze wrote: »
    Comp Sci major/minor I presume? That or you just knew how to **** around with java coding.

Edit: Nvm, looked liked java at first glance :)
    Flash actually, and yeah, I majored in programming/web design. The relevant data is stored in an external xml file, so I didn't have to mess with any of the actual program code. Anyone with a text editor (notepad) could make the changes I made, although having tools meant to properly format/parse xml makes the task much easier.

kin wrote: »
    If you want, The Kin can give you the exact translations of the mage skill trees.
    That would be awesome. :D Just be sure to keep an eye out for the kindred/human specific talents (if there are any for mages) if you decide to do both.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nuvem - IllyfueNuvem - Illyfue Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Well, sort of. I spent an afternoon of downtime force-feeding Google Translate pieces of the Wanmei Calculator's XML file, and the result is...

A partially-translated version of the Wanmei Talent Calculator!

While it might be far from perfect, it's completely functional and, even with its broken English, should be much easier to work with than the all-Chinese versions.

And now, for a bit of fun:

The class character pictures are easy to change out, so I'd like to offer YOU GUYS the opportunity to have your own character featured in place of the Wanmei art. If this is relevant to your interests, post a pic of your character in this thread, and after awhile, I'll pick the ones I like the best and add them in. (Note: Vampire and Human Priest are already spoken for--I'm vain like that ^^)

So yeah, in this thread, report problems or anything else. Enjoy! ^^

thank you very much! Well done!
  • Axym - LionheartAxym - Lionheart Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    you my dear women, have won.

tyvm

I can stop bothering Crab on the sticky now. He should thank you too.

(I do recognize that Crab did not care what I wrote on the thread.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    As long as I'm captain, the rum shall never be gone.
    tinyurl.com/FWEmotes courtesy of Deltatroopa
  • ediraedira Posts: 479 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Thank you very much. =)

Just curious, If I translate the options.xml to german could you do an talent calculator for that language too?
    Server: Dyos - Kindred Fire Mage
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited September 2011
    edira wrote: »
    Thank you very much. =)

Just curious, If I translate the options.xml to german could you do an talent calculator for that language too?
    Yup, but know that translating it can be harder than you think. Google translate will break a lot of xml tags that will require fixing AND it can't handle the entire file because it's so big, so you'll have to break it up into pieces, run it through, reassemble, and hopefully not break the xml structure in the process.

If you plan on translating by hand, that's A LOT of work. If you plan on using google translate, I recommend working with the initial chinese xml so you're only translating across 1 language instead of 2.

Good luck. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BringerOfLight - NyosBringerOfLight - Nyos Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Overtook me... ^^
  • Julia_VII - Storm LegionJulia_VII - Storm Legion Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Nicely done! I've added your xml snippet to the main file, so anyone looking to play with inferno vampire talents is in luck. If anyone else wants to have a crack at getting their favorite class/tree properly translated, you can download the google-translated version of the xml file here.

For those who are considering lending a hand, I recommend pastebin when you're ready to upload. It's a lot easier to share text/code through pastebin than through traditional file hosts.

I already have translation data for divine & rebel priest trees, I just need to throw something together that will convert them from csv to xml. If I get bored, I'll probably have a crack at priest glacial and vampire blood as well, just because those are what my two main characters are speced into. Anything else is fair game, though!

Could you provide a download link of the .xml file hosted on someplace like mediafire? I plan on translating the Human Warrior Elemental tree, but the entire structure of the file is damaged once i copy it and paste on Notepad++
    edited September 2011
    Could you provide a download link of the .xml file hosted on someplace like mediafire? I plan on translating the Human Warrior Elemental tree, but the entire structure of the file is damaged once i copy it and paste on Notepad++
    Don't copy/paste it from your browser. Your browser should be able to file-save as, giving you the most up-to-date copy, since it's straight from where I'm hosting it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mikro - DyosMikro - Dyos Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Started with the Marksman trees.

Precision Tree pastebin

For Aimed Shot and Dazing shot the chinese calc has a range of 18 meters, but ingame it says 22 meters. I went with the higher volume :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lv80 Marks(wo)man
  • Mangastic - IllyfueMangastic - Illyfue Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Whoah, I'm glad I didn't start translating the precision tree too. Anyways, here's the Burst MM tree translated.

Have a nice day ^^
  • Brsekr - IllyfueBrsekr - Illyfue Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    If you plan on translating by hand, that's A LOT of work. If you plan on using google translate, I recommend working with the initial chinese xml so you're only translating across 1 language instead of 2.

Chinese version is impossible to translate correctly by google, thats why i suggested only people who know their tree would make translation based on ingame skill texts with corrected descriptions.
    To translate inferno i open notepad++ on left side of desktop and fw client on the right side. Notepad window had focus, i was typing and navigating there using keyboard. Cursor was on the game window to popup talent description, so it was visible all the time. This way is much faster and took 1h.
  • Mikro - DyosMikro - Dyos Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Whoah, I'm glad I didn't start translating the precision tree too. Anyways, here's the Burst MM tree translated.

Have a nice day ^^

So, who's doing Soul now? :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lv80 Marks(wo)man
  • Kelonia - EyrdaKelonia - Eyrda Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Awesome! I want to thank everyone who is working on this project! Keep going! ;)
    edited September 2011
    @Mikro & Mangastic: Thanks you two! Your translations have been added. :D

@Brsekr: True, if doing it by hand then definitely use the one that's easier to understand. The chinese version was only recommended to Edira in case he/she was planning on using google translate, because it's best to take as few language steps as possible with automated translation programs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]