test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fishing Contest--Really?

Aesarin - Storm LegionAesarin - Storm Legion Posts: 697 Arc User
edited July 2011 in General Discussion
So yeah, 120 medals requires a bit of luck, but is certainly possible by the end of the 30 minutes you're allowed to participate in the fishing contest. But barely. What I don't understand is the amount required after that, which is a whopping 250.

I don't see how acquiring 250 fishing medals is even possible, given how slow the process is, and how often you end up catching crabs or worthless junk items. So what I want to know is this: Has anyone actually reached 250 medals? If so, what do you get? The quest objective lists some pitiful amount of gold coins, with the ? ? ? that's often shown for random items.

It had better be something really good, like fish fashion or a mudkip mount.

So if anyone can shed some light on this, please do!
Post edited by Aesarin - Storm Legion on
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Is metroid's gun attached to his suit or is it a part of his arm?
English Talent Calculator: http://www.aesica.net/fw

Comments

• Luciferia - IllyfueLuciferia - Illyfue Posts: 3,982 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Well... I have problem reaching even the 60 require for daily luck :D

(yeah, I know about golden fish and the lot. I just can't be bothered...)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Demyx - Storm LegionDemyx - Storm Legion Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    If I recall, they changed the fishing event but not the amount needed.

It use to be the Gold Fish was worth a lot more than it is now. Currently it's worth something like 10-15 points, but previous it was worth I believe 100. I've heard of people finishing the Fishing Contest, but since I saw the point value went down...I've yet to see anyone finish.
    Part of the fun of playing the game is wading through 98% of the idiots and trolls to find the 2% who you enjoy playing with.
  • xbillyboyxxbillyboyx Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    reaching 250 medals in 30 minutes is very duable if u know what u r doing/hunting for.

There is a well known secrect to hitting the 250 medals.

Ask around.
  • Chimera - EyrdaChimera - Eyrda Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Don't need to ask around, i will tell you

if you kill golden shoals in the river near event npc you get golden fish

realm swamp farm them to hit 250 medals+

easypeasy
  • Aesarin - Storm LegionAesarin - Storm Legion Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Well I typically do it several times a day, and have yet to even get the gold fish. Given its rarity, it really should be worth more than 10-15 points. With the 100-point version, if you only manage to catch one one over the course of a given fishing event session (and odds say you probably won't see more than one per session) You'd still have to earn 150 points on basic fish. That is still quite difficult.

If they really have changed it to 10-15, then it's safe to say the 250 goal is nearly impossible to attain. Your chances of getting struck by lightning are greater.

Edit: Oh, you have to kill random stuff? I'll try that next session then, thanks. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xstoneonexstoneone Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Here is one way to do it:

2box two accounts or ask a friend or guildy to come with you.

Have one person with an empty inventory who isn't going to complete the event take the quest. That person will then spend the duration of his event timer farming the golden fish and realm surfing.

Before the actual event ends, have the second person take the quest (the one who wants to finish it) and start regular fishing. When the golden fish farmers timer runs out, have him trade you the farmed golden fish. The amount of farmed golden fish he got should take you over or very near the 250 amount. If not, you'll have 30 min to make up the difference by regular fishing (or you can take his place to farm more golden fish).

It's like extending the fishing timer from 30 min to 1 hour.
    edited July 2011
    ^ Interesting. I guess I finally have a reason to put the account I created via steam (for the doodoo turtle) to use.

Clever! I guess I assumed (a failure on my part) that these fish weren't tradeable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xstoneonexstoneone Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    They are tradeable, but they do have expiration timers.

Luckily the timer is 1 hour.
  • YggdrasiI - Storm LegionYggdrasiI - Storm Legion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    You don't need two clients. Just realm hop 1 character and look for the group of fish called Golden Shoal. Attack it and you get 1 golden fish. Hop, attack, hop, attack, hop, attack until you have 250 medals. If you take a while loading from realm hopping, I suggest you put all your settings as low as possible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[YOU- drah- sil]
    If you want to shorten my name, don't call me 'Ygg.' Call me 'Mana.'

Grandia: Unity ☆ Teamwork ☆ Friendship I]grandia-storm.com/[/I
    ~~~~~~~~~~{ Never get left behind again. }~~~~~~~~~~
  • Tymon - LionheartTymon - Lionheart Posts: 350 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    This is really hard to do now that the population of the servers is higher. lots of people farming the fish=realm hopping next to pointless since people are all doing the same thing.
  • StonedAppl - Storm LegionStonedAppl - Storm Legion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    the achievement is actually doing 250 medal x3 in 1 day, i'v done it and its quiet easy. Best way to do it is the first 3 ones of the day

Make sure you have 18 spots in your inventory
  • taggurungtaggurung Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    If it it possible to trade fish, then your best bet is to get 6 friends or so and have them all fish for you, then one at a time trade the fish.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Value the ones near.
    edited July 2011
    But I don't have any friends.

T________________T
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rockbridge - Storm LegionRockbridge - Storm Legion Posts: 502 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    You don't need two clients. Just realm hop 1 character and look for the group of fish called Golden Shoal. Attack it and you get 1 golden fish. Hop, attack, hop, attack, hop, attack until you have 250 medals. If you take a while loading from realm hopping, I suggest you put all your settings as low as possible.

This^

The problem lies in the fact that if someone else is competing for the gold fish with you then you can be screwed.

I'm more concerned about the Harbor Crisis Colonel title which I did see one person with back when I was playing 2 months ago. I'm guessing it would take a very organized guild all working together with set roles to make this work. Either that or a powerful AoE capable of taking 3 mobs down in about 20 seconds.
    <Honey Badger>
    Cause I don't care.
  • FreakyPriest - NyosFreakyPriest - Nyos Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    This^

The problem lies in the fact that if someone else is competing for the gold fish with you then you can be screwed.

I'm more concerned about the Harbor Crisis Colonel title which I did see one person with back when I was playing 2 months ago. I'm guessing it would take a very organized guild all working together with set roles to make this work. Either that or a powerful AoE capable of taking 3 mobs down in about 20 seconds.

Yeah, only people I've seen with Colonel title are mages and mms, the two heavy AoE classes. Good thing Colonel is only a title, not an achievement.

Fishing title is quite easy as long as you don't do it on a day that has fishing contest as lucky quest, because then everyone will be trying to farm golden fishies.
  • Oberoth - IllyfueOberoth - Illyfue Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2011

...and hope there are no ppl fishing (or knowing this) on any realm...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, only people I've seen with Colonel title are mages and mms, the two heavy AoE classes. Good thing Colonel is only a title, not an achievement.

Fishing title is quite easy as long as you don't do it on a day that has fishing contest as lucky quest, because then everyone will be trying to farm golden fishies.
    Yeah, I was actually going to give it a shot today. Then I arrived to start at the start of the day for the first one and saw:

needmorepeoplefishing.png

Thanks world luck! :D

(This is after realm-hopping to hopefully find one with fewer people, and mostly, one without people or their enormous dragon pets clustered all over the NPC)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • YggdrasiI - Storm LegionYggdrasiI - Storm Legion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    The earlier you do it, the more of a chance you have of being the only one farming the fish, but always check it out first. I've done it while other people were also trying to grab them. Just keep those fish in lock down.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[YOU- drah- sil]
    If you want to shorten my name, don't call me 'Ygg.' Call me 'Mana.'

Grandia: Unity ☆ Teamwork ☆ Friendship I]grandia-storm.com/[/I
    ~~~~~~~~~~{ Never get left behind again. }~~~~~~~~~~
  • Chimera - EyrdaChimera - Eyrda Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    For harbor crisis there's a way to get the title even if you're not aoe class

but that one requires thinking and not knowledge like fishing does so will leave it up for you to figure out ^_^