[Guide] All Things Bard.

Kunal - Eyrda
Kunal - Eyrda Posts: 129 Arc User
edited December 2013 in Bard Discussion
All Things Bard.

UPGRADE DONE. ADD BUILDS IF YOU WANT. I'LL ADD THEM.

Table of Contents

☼ Update Notes
☼ Introduction
☼ Builds
☼ The Basics
☼ Pros and Cons of a Bard
☼ Legend
☼ Way of the Wind Bard
☼ Way of the Water Bard
☼ Way of the Light Bard
☼ Way of the Triple Hybrid Bard
☼ Bard Misconceptions and Studies
☼ Suggestion Queue

Update Notes

◙ 12.01.11: Added into Misconception-Studies Area.
◙ 08.19.11: Pure light is done.
◙ 07.17.11: Added "Multi-Bard Buff Stacking" myth.
◙ 07.17.11: Pure water build is done.
◙ 07.12.11: Added new feature: Keep track of my build.
◙ 07.12.11: Pure wind build is done.
◙ 07.10.11: Added Pure wind descriptions.
◙ 07.10.11: Added All the skeletal framework of each section.
◙ 07.09.11: Added in Bard Skills and Basics.
◙ 07.09.11: Guide is born; basic backbone.
Post edited by Kunal - Eyrda on
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• Kunal - Eyrda
    edited July 2011
    Introduction

Hello, and welcome to my guide! My name is Kunal and I am currently a Lv74 bard from Eyrda. I have used at least 19 talent compasses now testing our viable builds for the bard and how effective they are in PvE/ PvP situations.

Now the reason why I am making this guide is because I want to enlighten bards-to-be without them having to wade through countless hours of posts, but at the same time help out bard veterans (like myself) with any questions they may have. I am also very open to suggestions, as I want this guide to serve the community in its fullest potential. So please, if you do have a suggestion, tell me and I will add it to my Suggestion Queue. Now without further ado here is All Things Bard.

Builds

As I stated earlier, I have at least 18 talent compasses on builds. I will list the builds I have tested. These will be the builds I will comment on. Format of points will be like this: (wind/water/light). NOTE: These builds are from a Lv65ish perspective.
    Pure Water (0/45/0)

Pure Wind (55/0/0) AS OF 5.20.12

Pure Light (0/0/45)

Water-Wind (14/31/0)

Water-Light (30/15/0)

Wind-Water (35/10/0)

Wind-Water (26/24/0)

Wind-Light (25/0/20)

Light-Water (0/8/38)

Light Water (0/11/34)

Light-Wind (14/0/31)

Triple Hybrid(14/18/13)

Triple Hybrid (5/5/35)

Triple Hybrid (9/20/16)

Triple Hybrid (22/11/12)

Triple Hybrid (8/16/21)

When I said I spent at least 18 compasses, you may be asking how is it possible to spend them all on different builds? Well, I have tweaked certain trees a bit. But the changes are rather insignificant for me to post them. Also, for the purpose of this guide, I will only focus on the foundation builds.
    The Basics

Even though I do not feel it is necessary to repost basic bard info, I feel that this guide would not complete without me doing so; so I will.

Bards are one of the more complex classes in the game. From Osloh starting point, it may feel easy, but later on a bard has an arsenal on buffs. If there is one slip up, a bards buff chain may be disrupted and it is extremely hard to fix when engaged in battle.

Bards utilize The Measure which is the system where notes are administered to make a buff. As a bard, skills will give off certain notes (C,D,E). You must cast certain skills, in order, to activate a buff. For instance CCE played in any order wil cast Courage: your party attack buff.

Later on in the game, maintaining buffs will a role of the bard. I like to think of bards as like a That-was -easy button, especially wind bards. Although parties early game can survive without them, bards catalyze the time it takes to do a certain thing. Late game, bards help out with offheals to let the priest focus on healing the protector, or dying DPS.

When you hit Lv20, you will have an option of specializing into three trees: water, wind, and light. Wind is often known for their buffs, speed, and anti-CC ability. Water is known for strong CCs, mana drains, high DPS. Lastly, light is known for their superb healing ability, combat res, and defense measures. I will go into more detail in the next section.

Before we move on to the next section, I wanted to say one more thing. Bards shine endgame. So, if you think you can mash your keys to the top, go play warrior or mage instead. I also want to make this very clear: at early levels, pure builds will be your friend. I do not recommend going hybrid until 55+, with the exception of a Wind-X bard (which can start at 50+). Early game is a little challenging, but hey, the hard work pays off later when you have your buff arsenal.
    Pros and Cons of the Bard
    Let us start with the general bard.

Pros:
    High amount of mana
    Strong solo class
    Armor is dirty cheap
    High versatility
    Very Fun
    Sleep
    Always wanted in parties, especially after 45+

Cons:
    Extremely squishy, especially endgame
    Low HP
    Somewhat high mana consumption
    Normally targeted first in any PvP instance
    Generally a poor class
    Slower at leveling

I really do not know. These do not look too appealing, but if you guys can think of any others that apply to bard in general, just tell me and I may add it on.

◄Bard Skills►

There are some guides out there that already cover bard skills, but they are outdated, so I will post up updated skills bard can get. This includes rumored skills from CN FW. NOTE: These pictures were taken when I was Lv65, so the power levels will differ. These are skills for EVERY branch of bard.
    ◄Bard Racials►

naturalextraction.jpg

blessingsoftheelves.jpg

◄Wind►

chordofwind.jpg

rhapsodyofwind.jpg

◄Water►

chordofwater.jpg

rhapsodyofwater.jpg

◄Light►

chordoflight.jpg

lightsonata.jpg

◄Measure Buffs and Blessings►

ariasurge.jpg

ariaicewind.jpg

movementcourage.jpg

hymnmajesty.jpg

[Movement: Fantasy] Grants the party 20 evasion when the bard casts an EEC sequence. The bard gets 10 extra evasion. Lasts 20 seconds (I will put a picture when I hit 70, or if someone wants to donate me a picture).

songofwind.jpg

sonataoflife.jpg

◄Utility Skills►

tunelesssound.jpg

divinecomedy.jpg

noteofrest.jpg

The Legend

Now that we are acquainted with the basics of what it means to be a bard, I can finally go into my favorite part: builds. I want to provide a little key or legend, so you know what to expect and when to expect it.
    barlegend.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kunal - Eyrda
    edited July 2011
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kunal - Eyrda
    edited July 2011
  • Kunal - Eyrda
    edited July 2011
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kunal - Eyrda
    edited July 2011
    tribrid2.png

builds1.png
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kunal - Eyrda
    edited July 2011
    Bard Misconceptions and Studies.

♫ Multi-Bard Buffing (Proposed by Milesg1 and Demyx)

HYPOTHESIS: When in a party with two or more bards, their buffs will stack.

CONCLUSION: Bard buffs stack, but not as a double effect. For Courage, two bards of the same tree and level will feel no difference. A wind bard and a light bard do feel a difference however. The way the buffs actually work is that either bard may get an extra 100 attack which is not much at all, and if you watch your attack closely, the two buffs are fighting for survival. For Majesty, the buffs do stack, but they stack in a way that you get the other bards bonus defense, and the other bard gets yours. For Baptism, it flat out stacks. We will test out Fantasy when both us hit 70, but we have a feeling it will be like Majesty. Also, "stacking" does not work with more than 2 bards.

(Proven by Kunal and Jigglypuff)

♫ Buff Sequences (Proposed by AgIaria)

QUESTION: What is normally the buff sequence for bards?

ANSWER: Obviously, for each tree there are different priorities. I will list the order I believe is the most important. NOTE: If you don't have that buff due to level, then ignore it and move onto the next buff. Water bards: Surge, Courage, Ice Wind, Fantasy,. Wind Bards: Courage, Fantasy.Light: Baptism, Courage, Majesty.
    (Proven by Kunal)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kunal - Eyrda
    edited July 2011
    Suggestion Queue.

♫ Buff Sequences [STATUS: 100% DONE]

♫ Put up PvP builds first [STATUS: 33% DONE]

♫ Test out Multi-Bard Buff Stacking [STATUS: 100% DONE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MrVain - Eyrda
    MrVain - Eyrda Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Can't wait, this is going to be awesome! :)
  • Ashaw - Eyrda
    Ashaw - Eyrda Posts: 1,127 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    can i put this in my
    Do you need help picking a class post???
    and if you dont mind me asking. why did you break it up into all the diffrent comments and stuff?
    Class Choosing Guide -
    fw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=188881

Race Choosing Guide -
    fw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=193701

They know I'm right -
    fw-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=3587381&postcount=43

[SIGPIC]http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/277/1/0/ashaw_siggy_1_by_zerojigoku-d4bsgdu.png[/SIGPIC]
    I dont play Ashaw anymore -_- its a boring class
  • Kunal - Eyrda
    edited July 2011
    Can't wait, this is going to be awesome! :)

I have a lot of things to put into this guide, but it is taking some time to work out. Hopefully it should be complete soon!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kunal - Eyrda
    edited July 2011
    can i put this in my
    Do you need help picking a class post???
    and if you dont mind me asking. why did you break it up into all the diffrent comments and stuff?

For the sake of organization and space, I broke it up into many different posts. This guide is huge, you know. Also, you do have my permission to put this guide into your guide; however, I want you to put a disclaimer that it is not done, and remove it when it is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • francischutney
    francischutney Posts: 630 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Wow thanks so much, this is great!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ~I very much enjoy this lovely game and wonderful people here~
  • MrVain - Eyrda
    MrVain - Eyrda Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    lol didn't see the second page of comments...
  • viviikitty
    viviikitty Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    This is going to be amazing, cant wait for full light review.
  • Ylphio - Eyrda
    Ylphio - Eyrda Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Favourited! I'll be looking forward to this guide. :)

Thanks for sharing!
  • Sylfana - Illyfue
    Sylfana - Illyfue Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Hmm... what about something called Baptism? I heared it heals every 4 secound for some amount of hp all party. And it's lvl 55+
  • Lyzern - Illyfue
    Lyzern - Illyfue Posts: 374 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Seems very well written, compiled and organized. Hopefully the mods will sticky this one when it's done at least. Good luck and keep going
    Pure Support Bard Guide:

fw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=171271

Vote for Flagging System/PvP Realms on PvE Servers:

fw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=176141
  • Melanice - Eyrda
    Melanice - Eyrda Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Very organized. I love it!

I'm playing a Divine Priest right now, but it gets quite dull.. so i'm considering rolling a bard. It was a pleasure to read the part about Wind bard!

Very well written, please keep this up!
    Looking forward to reading the other parts~
  • itsphii
    itsphii Posts: 494 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Seems like a great guide!

I'd just reccomend taking advice from other players also, which you probally are doing since it's hard to memorize every tree and specifici details
  • Kunal - Eyrda
    edited July 2011
    itsphii wrote: »
    Seems like a great guide!

I'd just reccomend taking advice from other players also, which you probally are doing since it's hard to memorize every tree and specifici details

Actually, I have a notebook dedicated to bards. I write down everything I find about a build and write it down. All it really is now is to make it look nice and to type it up onto the forums! (:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • itsphii
    edited July 2011
    Actually, I have a notebook dedicated to bards. I write down everything I find about a build and write it down. All it really is now is to make it look nice and to type it up onto the forums! (:

Sigh >.> people like you keep inspiring me to be a bard :D
  • Phonaios - Nyos
    Phonaios - Nyos Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    feeling like Cartman 2 weeks before the Wii came out :P.

"**** uuuhuuun! **** UUUN!"
    no but srsly awesome guide. can't wait for the water bard
  • Kunal - Eyrda
    edited July 2011
    NOTE: I have obtained my Fantasy scroll from AC (28 runs FTW). This does mean I will be a little slower on updating the guide because I am furiously racing to 70 (almost 69 now) so I can get my awesome evasion buff and test some more bard things out! When I do hit 70, I will start updating the guide on demand of certain builds, and on certain suggestions. If you want me to do something, do this "SUGGESTION: (Put in what you need)" so I know for sure you want it.

On another note, I will also start my process of critiquing individual builds. But, I only help over a VoIP server, which in my case is Mumble. The reason why I do so is because me typing takes forever, and it can get annoying doing more than one build. So please, if you want to set something up with me, send me a PM so we can arrange a time to do our little consultation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • itsphii
    edited July 2011
    feeling like Cartman 2 weeks before the Wii came out :P.

"**** uuuhuuun! **** UUUN!"
    no but srsly awesome guide. can't wait for the water bard

Same. I'm waiting for a great water build guide, with talent build also :P
  • Kunal - Eyrda
    edited July 2011
    itsphii wrote: »
    Same. I'm waiting for a great water build guide, with talent build also :P

Water build has been up for hours, but I cannot give you the build because the talent calculator is down. o.o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • subghosti
    subghosti Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    What about just a screenshot with big red numbers on the icons ;)
  • iamfaceroll
    iamfaceroll Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    please please no azureclouds for water bards. Mana wings can gtfo, we're not mages and the only thing mana does for us is make our racial drain more since we have mana regen in our shield which is more then enough.

goldspark to me is only valuable if u can make them lvl 3. basically i don't rely much on crit. if you wanna go crit, make sure you also get some deadly gears which adds to your crit chance. but they're rare and hard to come by mostly.

bread and butter gems for a water bard is bloodstones,ragefires,mistshrouds and eagle eyes.

this will already take up 3 gem slots in each gear, and unless you're a heavy cser, you most likely wont be getting the 4th gem.
  • Caadeence - Lionheart
    Caadeence - Lionheart Posts: 371 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    please please no azureclouds for water bards. Mana wings can gtfo, we're not mages and the only thing mana does for us is make our racial drain more since we have mana regen in our shield which is more then enough.
    Recovers hp based on max mp, btw.
    goldspark to me is only valuable if u can make them lvl 3. basically i don't rely much on crit. if you wanna go crit, make sure you also get some deadly gears which adds to your crit chance. but they're rare and hard to come by mostly.
    Really? Then why go water? Second half of water tree focuses a lot on crits.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • iamfaceroll
    iamfaceroll Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Recovers hp based on max mp, btw.

Really? Then why go water? Second half of water tree focuses a lot on crits.

so let me guess, you waste 1 valuable gem slot just to recover slightly more hp? i mean really?

yea the crits come with triple parita+song of water which only lasts for like 15-20s...i did not say crits was useless, but if you wanna go crit, make it a goldspark 3 to see its usefulness.
  • Kunal - Eyrda
    edited July 2011
    Jiggly and I already tested this out. Your shield recovers 6% of MAX mana to HP when hit. Now, when I had 30k mana, I recovered 1.8k HP per hit. Combine this with 40% damage reduction, and your HP will almost never fall. So technically speaking, azureclouds defeat the purpose of bloodstones. Another thing is that EVASION is the best thing you can do with a water bard. I currently have 268 and still stacking and people can barely hit me (plan to hit 400ish around Lv70). Again, combine that with your shield and HP will almost never be needed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]