Will this notebook run FW smoothly?

tocki
tocki Posts: 1 Arc User
edited January 2011 in Technical Support Zone
i was planning on buying this notebook:
LENOVO ThinkPad Edge 11

i did try to gather sum information on notebook spec. and system, but the truth is although i get the numbers, i'm a noob and have no idea about what it actually means. (>__<)

i needed a light one (for travel) so ofc. they aren't suitable for gambling at all. but i thought this one was prtty good:

* Windows 7 Professional 32-bit
* Intel Core 2 Duo SU7300 (1.3GHz, 800MHz FSB, 3MB Cache)
* 13.3″
* Intel X4500M Integrated Graphics
* 4GB DDR3 RAM (2GB x 2)
* 320GB Fujitsu 5400RPM Hard Drive
Post edited by tocki on

Comments

• mk16
    mk16 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    http://fw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=78081
    You need a faster cpu. I recommend at least a 3.6ghz Core 2 or 3ghz i5/i7 or the frame rates in town and large scale pvp will suck a fat one. Seriously - read my thread to see the difference. You'll probably get around 5-14 fps in harbor town/large scale pvp on that cpu.

Integrated graphics are generally a nono for games, but might suffice for this one. Don't expect to play any games with real graphics.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

The Intel 4500 isn't even at the bottom of the high list (and cards scoring under 400 shouldn't be there either..)
    Banned for no reason on -two- accounts, thanks PWE
  • tocki
    edited January 2011
    thx for ur reply :)

but i prob. can't afford a better one, and even if i did, all gaming suited notebooks are way to heavy. (unfortunatly i need one to travel with)

i'll try to run the game on minimum. settings

i don't mind sum lag either.. as long as its not major i'm not a hardcore player and i did run fw on my old computer (which is already 8 years old now with 256RAM and a graphic card dat's not even availeble anymore haha)
  • mk16
    edited January 2011
    tocki wrote: »

i'll try to run the game on minimum. settings

i don't mind sum lag either.. as long as its not major i'm not a hardcore player and i did run fw on my old computer

Minimum settings don't help. You'll probably be having some painful framerate lag in harbor town and mass pvp even with all settings low. Don't say I didn't warn you to get at least a 2.4ghz Intel C2D/i3/i5.
  • tocki
    edited January 2011
    mk16 wrote: »
    Minimum settings don't help. You'll probably be having some painful framerate lag in harbor town and mass pvp even with all settings low. Don't say I didn't warn you to get at least a 2.4ghz Intel C2D/i3/i5.

hey, thanks for the advice.
    i thought dual core 1.3ghz = 2.6ghz??
    dat's above 2.4ghz isn't it?

sorry if i'm wrong, dat is just what someone told me.
  • mk16
    edited January 2011
    tocki wrote: »
    hey, thanks for the advice.
    i thought dual core 1.3ghz = 2.6ghz??
    dat's above 2.4ghz isn't it?

sorry if i'm wrong, dat is just what someone told me.

Misinformation.

In most applications that are multithreaded, you'll typically see a ~50% boost per core. Some cases, like running many applications at once, media encoding, etc will get the full benefit as if you had two CPUs.

FW will only use one core/thread and that contributes to why everyone gets 5-10 frames per second in harbor town and large scale pvp.
    In fact many games and applications still only use one thread. CPUs are way ahead of coders.

If you can afford it, I recommend a mobile Sandy processor, even the lowest one (lowest comes out Feb. 20): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge_%28microarchitecture%29
    They are the fastest per-core mobile cpus on the market, and they have the best integrated graphics on the market. Not a great alternative to a /real/ video card but should run FW just fine.

Seriously, 1.3ghz pretty bad. Just wait on the lowest end Sandy cpu to come out.
    2630QM is already out, $830-900 for full laptop.
    2310M, 2510E, 2515E should come in at around $500-600.
  • tocki
    edited January 2011
    okay. i guess i'll have to think things over,
    FWisn't worth getting a better notebook/or cpu for teh sake..

ahh.. dis sucks. but anyway thx for the detailed info :)