New Laptop, Can this run FW?

npramirez
npramirez Posts: 78 Arc User
edited January 2011 in Technical Support Zone
This is the link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115864&cm_re=5650-_-34-115-864-_-Product

Specs are:

Operating System -- Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
CPU Type -- AMD Phenom II Quad-Core N950 2.1G
Memory Size -- 4GB DDR3
Hard Disk -- 500GB
Graphics Card -- ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
Video Memory -- 1GB DDR3 VRAM

Basically, my goal is to run FW smoothly on medium settings during guild wars and in large towns. Can this laptop hold up? (A cooling pad will be bought as well)

If not, can you recommend a laptop (or improvements I can make to this laptop), preferrably from newegg, that is in about the same price range (750-800)?
Thanks in advance!
Post edited by npramirez on

Comments

• npramirez
    edited January 2011
    So, same thing goes as before except this is the PC option so I get a lot more performance for my buck. Here's the link:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227294

Here are the specs:

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T(2.8GHz)
    Processor Main Features: 64 bit Six-Core Processor
    Cache Per Processor: 6 x 512KB L2 Cache
    Memory: 4GB (2GB x 2) DDR3 1333
    Hard Drive: 1TB SATAII
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1GB

I realize this is significantly better than the laptop so I'm leaning towards the PC. So, directing the attention towards the PC, can this run it on decent settings flawlessly even in populated situations?
    Thanks again in advance!
  • trevtimusprime
    trevtimusprime Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    A computer with 2gb or ram, dual core processor and an integrated graphics card can run FW smooth enough.

You really have nothing to worry about, this game runs on such low requirements nicely, I would imagine most netbooks could do it fair enough.
    CB-Phase 1-4
    I am Snorlax and I will block your path.

DestroyTokyo- Voted best WereBeast on PWI Lost City server <3
  • acryllis
    acryllis Posts: 397 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Ya a crummy computer can run this game on medium-ish graphcis with only minimal lag.

But if you get into a big pk war or something where theres a lot of people launching all sorts of things at the same time it might chop up a bit.
    Aflac
  • npramirez
    edited January 2011
    Well i'm using a laptop with integrated graphics and it wasnt designed for gaming at all but it seems to run PWI fine on low settings but gets very choppy in cities, even on lowest. So I just wanted to make sure that even in the most strenuous situations it will run fine. Thanks for the input so far. Any more is appreciated
  • trevtimusprime
    trevtimusprime Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    TO be perfectly honest both computers will run FW more than adequate on max settings.

This game is much more CPU intenstive than GPU so the big boost in the graphics card to the gtx 460 won't be very noticeable.... for this game anyhow.
    For this game the 5650 is plenty, but if you plan to play anything else, esp anything newer from like 09- present I'd suggest a much higher card such as the GTX 460 you listed. ( I have2 HD 5870's)

I myself have the AMD Phenom 1090T Black edition which is a few steps up from the one you listed for the pc, but 2.8 is well above the recommended requirement for this game (this game doesn't recognize multiple cores so you won't notice a performance difference between the 4 or 6 core if they were @ the same speed.

As I said both will def run FW on max setting with virtually no lag in mass pvp or in populated towns, but I'd say for all around gaming the pc is the much better option due to the stronger processor and far superior G card.

As for the Ram, As long as you're running a 64 bit system then 4 is plenty for every online game, I've not sen anything that requires more than 3. However, if you're going to use a 32 bit OS, it won't register more than 3.5.

TL;DR- I'd go with the PC if you plan to play other games besides FW, but both are more than capable for FW.
    CB-Phase 1-4
    I am Snorlax and I will block your path.

DestroyTokyo- Voted best WereBeast on PWI Lost City server <3
  • bunnypirates
    bunnypirates Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I heard old computers run FW better than new ones... My laptop is 1 year old and it has a little higher stats than the first laptop the guy showed, but in FH I lag like asdfghjk;l and you notice when there are 10+ people close to each other 'cause there's little lag. I can't use shadows (mid of high) because they lag, unless if I'm like alone in the middle of nowhere, and the HQ water I'm using (without refraction) causes some lag. High quality textures are on because the lower ones look awful, but terrain is always on low because it makes me lag like crazy. ><

If it's all because of my **** net, that sucks for me, but like... It all can't be my net's fault. D:
    I can do NC normally unlike some people with bad connection.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

*CB1 player, herp-a-derp.*
    forsakenworldart.deviantart.comJOIN
    Retired; playing a game called life. O:
  • npramirez
    edited January 2011
    Perfect. Thanks trev, that pretty much wrapped it up. I think I'll grab the PC b/c I'm sure I'll run into another game, that requires a better GPU, to play along with FW.