test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

longer character Bios

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited September 2009 in Suggestions Box
I may be the only one but having a limit of 500 characters makes it difficult to come up with a good back story. it is very hard to fit in the background of a toon that has been used in "other" games to explain his new found lot in life with a limit. soo yeah help us out CO devs because im getting tired of having a COMING SOON!
Bio.

ps you guys rock.

pps. not you >.> no one likes you so go way...
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2009
    I know that characters I've made in "other" games enjoyed having descriptions that could be up to 1023 characters long and I recall sometimes having trouble squeezing summaries into even that much space.

I would not suggest being allowed to have huge amounts of space for this because people don't want to read novel-sized descriptions. But it does seem kind of sad that a 5+ year old competitor to this game offers twice as much space as this game does. :(
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Again, Search is your friend. There are a few threads already about this topic. One thread even mentioned that this was already passed on to the dev team to be evaluated.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    1024 is fine, a little more would be nice but okay. 500 is making me write 2nd grade sentences. Unless you want your biography to look like an AOL profile then I would suggest a little more space as well.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Azophael wrote:
    Again, Search is your friend. There are a few threads already about this topic. One thread even mentioned that this was already passed on to the dev team to be evaluated.

Don't know about the OP but I'm aware there have been several threads on this subject.
    I have never started one myself but I have commented in several of them already. So what?

In the time it took you to once again repeat that there are other threads on this subject you've added to the general redundant "repeatiness" of these threads. Stop adding to the problem. ;)
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    EuzaRaa wrote:
    1024 is fine, a little more would be nice but okay. 500 is making me write 2nd grade sentences. Unless you want your biography to look like an AOL profile then I would suggest a little more space as well.

That's basically the problem I'm finding with this low 500 character limit. It's like I barely have enough room to write something like "Captain Wonderful is a superhero and he saves people and stuff." There's almost no point to writing these when you can't hardly say much more than that. :(
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I started writing the back story for one of my guys about how he was turned into an undead lich thing and then had to end it with "...and then he became a hero.". Definitely not enough space to really write anything even remotely interesting.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    TrueRekkin wrote:
    I "...and then he became a hero.".

lol omg i would leave it at that, because of the undeadlitchthing. and now im a hero is Just the best
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I agree 100%. I like my characters to have depth, and a good back story is part of that. As I often take a lot of flak because most my heroes are old school soviet Russians. A detailed bio helps inform people of why I'm a hero and not a villain, just because Americans have this preconceived notion that all Russians are evil.

Peace through power.
    For Mother Russia, Comrades.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Wow, an issue and request I can actually get behind for once. Yeah, 500 is very low for a caracter bio/origin description. What I ended up with looks like it was written by a 2nd grader (and yes, lest the snide comments begin ;)).
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Lothic wrote:
    Don't know about the OP but I'm aware there have been several threads on this subject.
    I have never started one myself but I have commented in several of them already. So what?

In the time it took you to once again repeat that there are other threads on this subject you've added to the general redundant "repeatiness" of these threads. Stop adding to the problem. ;)

I know I have added to the general redundant repeatiness, and I have to offer my sinceres apologies if I come across as a smartass (which I am infamous for, since I don't have anything in my life except this (and my good looks and the insane amount of money in my bank account (sadly not on the plus side), yes, I am a shallow person).

But I do have a personal stake in this topic (as i postet here: http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=47825&highlight=character+bio) and my point is, which you may or may not have noticed, that new topics push old topics back into oblivion in a thread, where no one will ever look at them again therefor 'losing' all the suggestions and ideas other people have posted in those threads, thus making the redundancy a bad thing in this case which could only be solved by a moderator merging all these threads, which would turn this poor man/woman insane in a matter of days.

Personally I am disappointed in people, for many are unable to use a forums basic function. I know, you all have ideas and I don't say they're bad, but someone may have had the same idea already, so search for it! It's all for YOUR advantage.
    And with that i may just have proven that I DO need a longer character bio.
    Sorry again for my smartassery (I'm not, I just pretend to be to seem nice and considerate).
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I agree..I spent months, before the game's release date, coming up with my Hero's back story and wrote out this great one. But with the limit, I had to put a small summary in instead...one that I'm not entirely happy with because I don't feel that it truly explains my character at all.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Extend the bios, yes please.

Though I can see them saying it's a "cosmetic thing" and we're free to use the on site bio and / or pruchase more bio space from the C store. After all we don't need it to complete the game or it's content.

(( we don't even have a sit emote :P))

-C.A.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I agree, please give us more bio space. What is currently available is just not sufficient even for a half-way decent synposis.

And I'll go one step further and say: all of the mobs in COH had their OWN bios. Here? Why not? It helped give the world a more fleshed out feel. Please, also start filling in bio information for the enemy types as well. :\
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yes. Please! More biography space.

I'm not big on writing biographies, but I figured I'd give it a shot, and it was great, comin' along very nicely, then the character limit interrupts me! I wasn't even close to being finished, so I just ended it with, "Why don't you guess what happens?"

Not really a fitting end to the ultra-short story..
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I agree that this does need to be make longer.