test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How To Fix Teleport

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited September 2009 in Suggestions Box
As it currently stands, Teleport is a bit overpowered in both PvE and PvP. It's a near-guaranteed escape and a fight resetter. It is much more difficult for a teleporter to die than for anyone with any other travel power to die.

Originally, Teleport was set to cooldown if the teleporter took any damage. However, this doesn't work because it leads to situations where, in PvE, a mob firing at the teleporter can shut down the power and drop him out of the sky.

Assuming that the power should work the same way in PvE and PvP, so that the cooldown cannot simply be restored for PvP only, there is still one easy way to fix most of the Teleport abuses:

Make it so that while in combat, hitting Teleport turns off healing. A teleporter cannot heal, Regenerate, be healed by others, or pick up a green inspiration while teleporting or for a few seconds afterward (say, during the period in which an attack from the teleporter would activate the cooldown -- since the code for that time span is already in game).

With this change, the following happens:

1. Teleport remains a premier escape power. That's okay, because this is one of its strengths compared to other travel powers that can be used even while attacking.

2. Teleport gains a disadvantage that removes most of its "fight reset" capability. A teleporter can still teleport away when his health gets low, but he can't continuously teleport until he heals to full, because that will never happen while he's porting around. There is no longer any ability to remain virtually invincible while healing up or grabbing green inspirations. Chain-teleporting becomes a delaying tactic: in order to actually heal, the teleporter must become vulnerable again first. A determined enemy can chase the teleporter around and keep whittling him down.

3. The overpowered synergy between Teleport and Regeneration is broken. You can still have a regenerating teleporter, but you can't heal hundreds of health a tick while teleporting.

4. PvE is not overly affected. You can still teleport to safety, but you need to wait a few seconds before you can heal up. Teleport retains all of its usefulness while crossing zones.

5. Maybe we see some other travel powers in PvP for a change.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2009
    While I dont think this is good as a end-all fix, it certainly would be preferable to its current form.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I think it's the best *easy* fix. There are better, but they'd require redesigning the power.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    In the tooltip for teleport, it states that while in the teleport mode, the teleporter is not supposed to be able to use any powers. So for now, my guess is that teleporters that can heal while in teleport is a bug and will eventually be fixed.

I don't agree with not being able to pickup health/regenerate for a few seconds however. A flyer can get out of range (especially from melees) and do this, as can a land-baser so why not a teleporter?
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I think things would be a lot better if anti-travel power abilities had a longer duration than 3 seconds.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    UVee wrote:
    In the tooltip for teleport, it states that while in the teleport mode, the teleporter is not supposed to be able to use any powers. So for now, my guess is that teleporters that can heal while in teleport is a bug and will eventually be fixed.

I don't agree with not being able to pickup health/regenerate for a few seconds however. A flyer can get out of range (especially from melees) and do this, as can a land-baser so why not a teleporter?

Because the flier and the speedster can still be targeted. A melee character can pick up something heavy and knock the flier down.

There is no means of targeting a teleporter or knocking them out of teleport. Yes, you can hope to get lucky with an AoE, but this is much more difficult than clicking or pressing tab, and against a smart teleporter it is unreliable, to say the least.

Being able to stay untargetable while healing up is what makes teleport broken, for the most part. There are a couple other possible tweaks (like making the "turn off travel powers" powers set all travel powers to a reasonable cooldown), but the healing is the big one. Teleport plus Regen is much more powerful in PvP than Teleport plus another passive defense, but since they can all pick up greens, they're all pretty unbeatable if played with half a brain. Only three things can kill a regenerating teleporter: really intense focus fire (so much so that he's dead before he realizes he's in trouble), really bad luck, or a really smart, persistent, and lucky opponent.

The combination isn't an I-win button, but it IS reliably an I-don't-lose button. I have a regenerating teleporter, too, I know just how hard they are to kill with a modicum of skill behind them. I've died twice in 30 or so matches -- and one of the two was due to a lag spike. And I'm not some master of PvP. I'm not even all that good at it.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Breaking down Teleport

Advantages
    * Unaffected by combat
    * Moderate to high travel speed
    * Free movement along X, Y, Z axis
    * Immunity to targeted effects

Disadvantages
    * Slow decent from elevation
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Being able to even target a person in the middle of teleporting is a bit odd on its own right. Teleporting is the bending of space and connecting two points so you apear in the new location. Obviously game wise the pixels need to move to the location so it works as is. However in a game hero stand point you shouldnt even be able to see the person. As of now you can follow the person around till teleport ends. I can see not being able to cast heals during teleports but stopping regen doesnt seem fair. This being that a hero's powers shouldnt stop working because he/she is using a travel power as no one elses does. The teleporter is already limited and cannot attack.

Note I dont not currently have any heros with teleport as a travel power.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Karter wrote:
    Note I dont not currently have any heros with teleport as a travel power.

I made one to test it out and see what the fuss was about.

Out of 15 hero arena matches, I died twice in total.

You be the judge.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Abyssusj wrote:
    Breaking down Teleport

Advantages
    * Unaffected by combat
    * Moderate to high travel speed
    * Free movement along X, Y, Z axis
    * Immunity to targeted effects

Disadvantages
    * Slow decent from elevation

You missed a few disadvantages there...

* After coming out of a teleport and attacking a target, they are unable to use ANY travel powers for 10 seconds (making them the slowest traveller for that period of time).
    * Vertical positioning is not permanent.
    * Unable to attack while having the travel power active (also not supposed to be able to use any abilities like heals)

Foxmaiden wrote:
    The combination isn't an I-win button, but it IS reliably an I-don't-lose button. I have a regenerating teleporter, too, I know just how hard they are to kill with a modicum of skill behind them. I've died twice in 30 or so matches -- and one of the two was due to a lag spike. And I'm not some master of PvP. I'm not even all that good at it.

Thats just it... A teleporter who keeps running away from battle isn't going to win either - during the time the teleporter is healing up in their teleport, the player that was attacking the teleporter can heal up too. If you're upset because you are still taking damage because you were getting teamed up on, or someone comes in and starts attacking you shortly after a teleporter disappears, even though there may be no communication between team-mates, thats called team work.
    Abyssusj wrote:
    I made one to test it out and see what the fuss was about.

Out of 15 hero arena matches, I died twice in total.

You be the judge.

Out of those 15 matches, how many people did you kill on your own? How many people did you pick off that had low health? How many times did you come close to death?
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Foxmaiden wrote:
    Make it so that while in combat, hitting Teleport turns off healing. A teleporter cannot heal, Regenerate, be healed by others, or pick up a green inspiration while teleporting or for a few seconds afterward (say, during the period in which an attack from the teleporter would activate the cooldown -- since the code for that time span is already in game).

agree that regen or powers should not heal the TPer while in energy ball form, disagree with the being able to pick up green inspirations. Other travel powers allow this. TP needs to be more like other travel powers not nerfed to be below it[

Foxmaiden wrote:
    1. Teleport remains a premier escape power. That's okay, because this is one of its strengths compared to other travel powers that can be used even while attacking.
    Escape in my opinion should be stopped by making TP affected by travel power removers just like the others are susceptible to them
    Foxmaiden wrote:
    2. Teleport gains a disadvantage that removes most of its "fight reset" capability. A teleporter can still teleport away when his health gets low, but he can't continuously teleport until he heals to full, because that will never happen while he's porting around. There is no longer any ability to remain virtually invincible while healing up or grabbing green inspirations. Chain-teleporting becomes a delaying tactic: in order to actually heal, the teleporter must become vulnerable again first. A determined enemy can chase the teleporter around and keep whittling him down.
    Agree that in PVP teleporters that keep reteleporting is bad and should be able to be stopped.. like someone running away at super speed constantly
    Foxmaiden wrote:
    3. The overpowered synergy between Teleport and Regeneration is broken. You can still have a regenerating teleporter, but you can't heal hundreds of health a tick while teleporting.
    Agreed
    Foxmaiden wrote:
    4. PvE is not overly affected. You can still teleport to safety, but you need to wait a few seconds before you can heal up. Teleport retains all of its usefulness while crossing zones.
    minus the picking up greens, agreed again
    Foxmaiden wrote:
    That will come anyways

I can already chase down TPers on a regular basis, it is the immunity to travel power removes that keep them separated from chasing down non-TPers. When that is no longer true then more diversity will come along anyways.

In general I agree with bismarck also that travel power removers do need a bit of a change.

for more info I will refer to
    http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=57006&page=3
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    UVee wrote:
    You missed a few disadvantages there...

* After coming out of a teleport and attacking a target, they are unable to use ANY travel powers for 10 seconds (making them the slowest traveller for that period of time).
    * Vertical positioning is not permanent.
    * Unable to attack while having the travel power active (also not supposed to be able to use any abilities like heals)

Thats just it... A teleporter who keeps running away from battle isn't going to win either - during the time the teleporter is healing up in their teleport, the player that was attacking the teleporter can heal up too. If you're upset because you are still taking damage because you were getting teamed up on, or someone comes in and starts attacking you shortly after a teleporter disappears, even though there may be no communication between team-mates, thats called team work.

Out of those 15 matches, how many people did you kill on your own? How many people did you pick off that had low health? How many times did you come close to death?

I don't know how you managed to turn a convert a small post into a wall of text, but congratulations.

I read your novel, and you've tried to make a number of points which clearly show you haven't closely considered what I typed, for example "Vertical positioning is not permanent.", this has already been covered.

I will not read your novels in future unless I can trust you've carefully thought about them first.
    Please, quality over quantity.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Abyssusj wrote:
    I don't know how you managed to turn a concise small post into a wall of text, but congratulations.

I read your novel, and you've tried to make a number of points which clearly show you haven't closely considered what I typed, for example "Vertical positioning is not permanent.", this has already been covered.

I will not read your novels in future unless I can trust you've carefully thought about them first.

I'd say it takes as much skill as taking a wall of text and responding to one line of text and make it look like you properly addressed all the issues that were brought up.
    Congrats
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Abyssusj wrote:
    I don't know how you managed to turn a concise small post into a wall of text, but congratulations.

Your post was small, and concise, however it was inaccurate.

Instead of replying 3 or 4 times to threads, I try to reply in one post. You'll notice that I was using quotes there so that I could get my points across to the appropriate people, such as the quote I've made above, and yes, I'm going to do it again below. It makes posts make more sense then having to try and backtrack through a thread looking for who the heck someone may be talking to, and it helps seperate others content in such a way that it is understandable to the points being made, again without having to backtrack within a post to read what might've been said. You'll notice I also like to express my ideas in full english using proper punctuation to assist in getting my points across. Most things cannot be summarized in a bulleted list, much like this post could not.
    Abyssusj wrote:

Except how your original post came across was that teleport only had the few advantages/disadvantages that you listed and you contributed nothing to the discussion. I was simply adding on to your list, and "Vertical positioning is not permanent" has not been covered within this specific thread, unless you somehow think "* Free movement along X, Y, Z axis" is the same thing. Your post also did not have much to consider in the first place. Also if you consider 3 small points and then 2 short paragraphs to be a novel, how do you communicate any sort of ideas?

Abyssusj wrote:

Feel free not to. I don't care who reads my posts or not, I'm just trying to discuss the issue of teleport having issues in PvP. If you somehow felt my previous post was somehow attacking you, I apologize, that was not my intent.
    Abyssusj wrote:

Except your post just now contributed absolutely nothing to the discussion, you raised no further points in the argument, only tried to belittle me, and even decided not to answer my questions I posed to you. Good day to you sir.

Sadly, I now too am guilty of such a thing, however, its now an eye-for-an-eye, and I will no longer continue to argue the content of my posts further with you Abyssusj. And since I was the last to post anything relevant to the actual content of this thread, I await anyone else who wishes to continue the discussion.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Another text wall.

Must be a forum superpower.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    That whole reading thing is for the birds huh

PS the original post is just bout as long as the one you are complaining about. I suppose you didn't read that either.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    UVee wrote:

No, you're not reading what I wrote. I'm the one doing the teleporting. I'm upset because it makes it far too easy to never die. If I didn't die purely because of skill, or even luck, that would be one thing. But no. I never die because I can teleport pretty much nonstop until some greens show up or until I regenerate my health to full.

Like I said, I'm not a great PvPer. If I can do it, anyone can. And many of them do.

And I DO win. If I can heal and come back often enough, I'm going to win eventually.

Can't speak for him, but of my 30-ish matches with a regenerating teleporter, I died a total of two times, one of them to lag. I never had a match with fewer than 6 kills, and my average was 9. This is with a quasi-support character, ie. not attacking full time; if I built for full offense, I'm sure I could score higher.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Just so I get where you are coming from, and your stance on this. If Teleportation was changed so that regeneration/other powers did not affect the player while in teleport form, and travel power removers were fixed...

You think you'd still be able to perma TP and win fights?
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I thought of another relevant point regarding teleporters in PvP.

Currently teleporters _can_ use healing abilities whlie phased out, but as I've stated before, that may very well be a bug and may eventually be removed. So in this instance, lets assume that teleporters cannot use any abilities while phased. (A side note: I agree that teleporters should not be able to use any abilities while teleporting)

Taking the above into account, lets consider a 1v1 player-initiated PvP battle that has no healing pickups, and neither character has regen.

In this setup does a teleporter actually have an advantage?

While the teleporter is phased out, they can not be harmed, but the person they are against isn't taking any damage either. The player who isn't teleporting is free to use any and all healing abilities to recover while the teleporter is phased out. That means in this scenario, the teleporter is at a disadvantage as the other player could easily recover more health than the teleporter by using any sort of healing ability while the teleporter is incapable of healing at all for those brief moments. This means that if the teleporter decides to teleport at all, he will almost certainly lose the battle if the other person can heal themself. This situation could somehow end in a stalemate but more than likely not as the teleporter could only use his available heals while being vulnerable to attack, negating any positive HP recovery.

Advantage: Non-teleporter

Now lets consider a 1v1 player-initiated PvP battle that again has no healing pickups, but the teleporter has regen while the other player could have any other form of defensive passive.

This time, while the teleporter is phased out, they are able to recover some health from regen. The player who is unable to attack the teleporter still has access to healing abilities and can heal any time the teleporter decides to teleport out to regen some health, so long as they have the energy. This situation would cause either a stalemate, because the teleporter just keeps teleporting and both players keep healing, or both sides would have to dish out tremendous amounts of damage very quickly in order for either one of them to win.

Advantage: None

In the last of these 1v1 scenarios, both players now have regen.

This time, again the player who doesn't teleport is at a clear advantage. Not only does he have access to regen, but again he can use any sort of healing abilities while the teleporter is phased out. This means the non-teleporter would have sufficient means of keeping their HP full any time that a teleporter disappears while the teleporter could again only rely on regen. Either of them again could win if sufficient amounts of damage is dealt, but this scenario could also end in a stalemate if the teleporter continues to teleport. Due to the recent "nerfs" of regen, I am more inclined to believe that a person with regen who is capable of healing themselves too is more than likely going to win against a teleporter who can only rely on regen while phased.

Advantage: Non-teleporter

In this series of 1v1 battles, the non-teleporter has the overall advantage.

So what does 1v1 battles have to do with 5v5 battles? There is only one component that is different: There are more people around to deal damage to the non-teleporter while that teleporter is phased out and going to heal.

Everyone is free to take any form of defense, everyone is free to take any form of healing. The only advantage that a teleporter gets in 5v5 battles is that they can run away while the non-teleporter may continue to get attacked by the teleporter's team mates. On the other hand, a teleporter who just phased in and started attacking can get attacked by an entire team all at once and not be able to do anything about it for 10 seconds. While the teleporter can be invulnerable, all it would take is a bit of team work to take him out.

There may not be an actual issue with teleporters once they are unable to use healing abilities while phased out (I swear that is a bug, and it should be taken out). The issue lies in the fact that most players would find it easier to assist a team mate when they see their team mate's rival is low on health, and that for the most part, there is no strategizing on PvP teams.

If you were up against a team full of teleporters, this doesn't change, in fact, your team if co-ordinated, could easily focus their attacks on whoever happens to be the teleporter who decided to show their face first and attack. If he disappears, switch to the next one, etc, etc, etc. This either causes the stalemate mode to activate and end the battle because no one is dying and no one wins, or your team will win because the teleporter team has no way of actually dealing significant damage to your team before your team takes them out.

I may be completely off base with my post here, but if you have some insight in to how this is wrong, please post it.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well I think you are forgetting the advantage of controlling the flow of the fight, and being able to be the one that decides that this fight will be a stalemate. Which is why I am for the travel power removers being changed to take this individual teleportation advantage.

Well you'd still have the advantage but no more than anyone else has... If I run away with super speed vs none super speeder and for whatever reason travel power removers did not work on me when I was running it would be the same issue.

"This situation could somehow end in a stalemate but more than likely not as the teleporter could only use his available heals while being vulnerable to attack, negating any positive HP recovery."

In this instance TP is not at a dis-advantage cause other travel powers use their heals and ect while vulnerable to attacks. Again to me having the ability to choose is just as important, ability to in some circumstances get hidden away before popping out to use your heals is just as important. I don't have to try and predict non-teleporters paths when I am hunting down any other travel power users. That is an advantage too. But at the cost of not being able to use regen/ect it is balanced.

and I am going to stop there, basically the times you assert the advantage is in favor of non-TP are balanced to me in the scenario where "Teleportation was changed so that regeneration/other powers did not affect the player while in teleport form, and travel power removers were fixed..." exist
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Foxmaiden wrote:
    No, you're not reading what I wrote. I'm the one doing the teleporting. I'm upset because it makes it far too easy to never die. If I didn't die purely because of skill, or even luck, that would be one thing. But no. I never die because I can teleport pretty much nonstop until some greens show up or until I regenerate my health to full.

Granted, but have you been held after you've popped out of a teleport and attacked someone? You're basically SoL if there is enough damage heading your way. At the same time, I have used an acrobatics character to run away from a battle and do the same thing - sure I may be attacked in brief amounts, but I have run away and kept running around, confused my enemies to the point where they decided they'll just switch targets, allowing me to pick up health and regen as well.

What some people don't realize either is that while any teleporter, or anyone else for that matter, is off running around looking for heals, the team is a player short. It becomes 5v4 until that player returns to combat. And yes, it makes a big difference because then you are almost guaranteed to have one person on your team facing two people.

Foxmaiden wrote:
    And I DO win. If I can heal and come back often enough, I'm going to win eventually.

Not necessarily. A person with invulnerability or PFF and a heal power is one tough beast. Unless you have help, you're more than likely going to have a hard time taking them down by yourself.

Foxmaiden wrote:
    Can't speak for him, but of my 30-ish matches with a regenerating teleporter, I died a total of two times, one of them to lag. I never had a match with fewer than 6 kills, and my average was 9. This is with a quasi-support character, ie. not attacking full time; if I built for full offense, I'm sure I could score higher.

I think the defeats are kind of skewed, I know on the right hand side that it shows player defeats but that also includes assists in defeating and it also includes supportive measures to team mates while they are taking down someone else. I'm going to assume if you're not dealing lots of damage, you are assisting your team while they are attacking and this is why you'll see a 9-average (mostly assists). I am 99.5983% sure you did not take out 9 players all by yourself with a support character simply because you have teleport.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Ryum wrote:
    Well I think you are forgetting the advantage of controlling the flow of the fight, and being able to be the one that decides that this fight will be a stalemate. Which is why I am for the travel power removers being changed to take this individual teleportation advantage.

The problem with having the travel power removers working on teleport is that teleport has a cooldown as soon as you attack. No other powers have this disadvantage. If you're willing to have a teleporter that can be taken out of their travel power, they should be allowed to constantly teleport otherwise, even if they attack as thats how other travel powers work. Otherwise you could knock a teleporter out of their power, and then if they try to retaliate the damage you're causing them, and they are then unable to teleport for 10 seconds.

However, this then makes teleport more like a fly, but unlike fly, teleporters are unable to remain in the air nor attack while in their travel mode. What balance do teleporters get in this regard? They can only be hit by a power remover and no other attacks while teleporting? This would make teleport completely useless in PvP as a type of travel power.
    Ryum wrote:
    "This situation could somehow end in a stalemate but more than likely not as the teleporter could only use his available heals while being vulnerable to attack, negating any positive HP recovery."

In this instance TP is not at a dis-advantage cause other travel powers use their heals and ect while vulnerable to attacks.

In the context I was using it in, which is being in a 1v1 fight, teleport is at a disadvantage since no one else would be attacking the other player. However in a 5v5 fight, if you end up getting attacked by someone else after the teleporter has left, that is called teamwork and is not a problem with teleport. Someone wore you down, took off and then someone stronger finished you off - anyone who gets double teamed loses, regardless if teleport is used or not.
    Ryum wrote:
    Again to me having the ability to choose is just as important, ability to in some circumstances get hidden away before popping out to use your heals is just as important. I don't have to try and predict non-teleporters paths when I am hunting down any other travel power users. That is an advantage too. But at the cost of not being able to use regen/ect it is balanced.

I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to point out here. However I do understand that you don't like having regen while being able to teleport. Again, if any other travel power can regen while in their travel mode, so should teleport. If you took my 1v1 battles where the teleporter has regen as examples, the teleporter with regen would then always lose if they decided to teleport. The other player could use any travel power and stay away from the teleporter, healing or attacking whle the teleporter is unable to reach him. Again I do agree that teleporters should not have the ability to use any healing abilities while teleporting and this is more than likely a bug.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    UVee wrote:
    The problem with having the travel power removers working on teleport is that teleport has a cooldown as soon as you attack. No other powers have this disadvantage. If you're willing to have a teleporter that can be taken out of their travel power, they should be allowed to constantly teleport otherwise, even if they attack as thats how other travel powers work. Otherwise you could knock a teleporter out of their power, and then if they try to retaliate the damage you're causing them, and they are then unable to teleport for 10 seconds.

However, this then makes teleport more like a fly, but unlike fly, teleporters are unable to remain in the air nor attack while in their travel mode. What balance do teleporters get in this regard? They can only be hit by a power remover and no other attacks while teleporting? This would make teleport completely useless in PvP as a type of travel power..

In the context I was using it in, which is being in a 1v1 fight, teleport is at a disadvantage since no one else would be attacking the other player. However in a 5v5 fight, if you end up getting attacked by someone else after the teleporter has left, that is called teamwork and is not a problem with teleport. Someone wore you down, took off and then someone stronger finished you off - anyone who gets double teamed loses, regardless if teleport is used or not..

TP would not be made useless by making it susceptible to travel power removers. It would make it a travel power...
    Crazy I know, even in the no regen while in TP form that should come TP still has it's advantage as explained before

UVee wrote:
    I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to point out here. However I do understand that you don't like having regen while being able to teleport. Again, if any other travel power can regen while in their travel mode, so should regen. If you took my 1v1 battles as an example, the teleporter would then always lose if they decided to teleport. The other player could use any travel power and stay away from the teleporter, healing or attacking whle the teleporter is unable to reach him. Again I do agree that teleporters should not have the ability to use any healing abilities while teleporting and this is more than likely a bug. Regen should be allowed since everyone else can regen while in their transport modes.

lol so now you have switched gears and thing regen should happen with teleporting? You mean regen from the power regeneration right, not the natural amount of gain over time you get without the power, correct?
    While making my point bout how someone's powers shouldn't work while they teleporting... kind of funny.

Anyways you have not made any new points or arguments... No reason to rehash the same stuff again.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Ryum wrote:
    TP would not be made useless by making it susceptible to travel power removers. It would make it a travel power...
    Crazy I know, even in the no regen while in TP form that should come TP still has it's advantage as explained before

Which advantage would that be? The ability to force a stalemate? A flyer could do that too over a teleporter if they remain high enough in the air. Same with a speeder, acrobatics, digger, or swinger. The only people that might not be able to against a teleporter are the two jumpers, but they can still move faster than the teleporter.

When you are hit with a travel power remover, you are unable to use your travel power for about 4 seconds. A teleporter after they attack has a 10 second cooldown on all travel powers. If a teleporter uses a travel power remover on you, you are free to leave after those 4 seconds, however a teleporter is now stuck for another 6 seconds before being able to leave. What is the balance here?

Any charging attacks/current attacks targetted on the teleporter will still hit the teleporter after they've vanished (similar to a speeder starting to run the other way and the hiding behind a wall).

If you go by the logic I put forth in the 1v1 battles, teleport never has an advantage when it comes to actual combat. That same logic carries over into 5v5 battles. The only thing that is different is that there is someone else there who can continue to deal you damage while the teleporter has escaped.

Ryum wrote:
    lol so now you have switched gears and thing regen should happen with teleporting? You mean regen from the power regeneration right, not the natural amount of gain over time you get without the power, correct?
    While making my point bout how someone's powers shouldn't work while they teleporting... kind of funny.

I have always believed that teleport should be able to regen, yes the passive power, while teleporting. I don't believe that they should be abllowed to use healing abilities such as empathic healing, arcane vitality, etc while teleporting. I say that they should be able to use regeneration while teleporting because a flyer could go up into the air away from a teleporter or land-baser and regenerate without threat. Similarly, a land-baser could run away from the teleporter very quickly and regenerate while away from the teleporter or flyer.

So why do you believe that teleporters should not be able to have the benefit of regenerate while in teleport mode? Simply because they cannot be hit? I just gave two examples where flyers and land-basers are either taking little or no damage while they can continue to regenerate.

Ryum wrote:
    Anyways you have not made any new points or arguments... No reason to rehash the same stuff again.

I have tried to make a new point, in that the issue may not be with teleport but with strategy. And I was rebutting your statements to try and clarify my previous post further, hence why you'll fail to see any additional substance.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    if any other travel power can regen while in their travel mode, so should teleport

Well, I stopped readng at the last two posts but did see this. I am a regenerating teleporter (in game obviously). Teleport is supposed to be instant travel, however because players can't move their character via keyboard at the speed of light, Crytic simply extended this time. Thus in theory players should recieve no regenration during these teleport intervals.

However, other players would be recieving the regen during these intervals, and so Teleporters are effectively in a state of frozen whilst they are teleporting, therefore missing out any regen time whilst teleporting that others would be getting. This makes TP a useless power when combined with any healing ability such as regen.

The problem which breaks it is the phycology of dieing this game. Players who have played games like WOW (including myself) will feel threatened about dieing, because in other games like WOW gear etc gets damaged meaning its a pretty bad idea. Howeve in this game you lose like 0.75% of extra damage, not very much to fear IMHO. However, people instantly jump to teleport when making a PVP character because they think that its better to escape than to die.

Now I do think that dieing is bad in PVP, it is a game where one team has to reach a certain amount of kills. There are however much better ways of surving and doing tons of damage. Take superspeed for example, just running in circles round someone casting a high damage advantaged energy builder is just as effective. The enemy can't easily click and target you and charge attacks are impossible to land if your going out of range. Therefore teleort isnt doing anywhere near as much damage as most other travel powers (forget tunneling, its a poor mans teleport in pvp).
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Teleport is supposed to be instant travel, however because players can't move their character via keyboard at the speed of light, Crytic simply extended this time. Thus in theory players should recieve no regenration during these teleport intervals.

Finally! Someone who comes up for a thematic excuse as to why teleporters should not be able to regenerate while healing. I agree with this rationalization of why a teleporter shouldn't regen, but I disagree with your next bit.
    However, other players would be recieving the regen during these intervals, and so Teleporters are effectively in a state of frozen whilst they are teleporting, therefore missing out any regen time whilst teleporting that others would be getting. This makes TP a useless power when combined with any healing ability such as regen.

In reality, it should be the reverse, no one should get to regenerate within the time frame of a teleporter moving as the teleporter is supposed to be moving to another point instantaneously. Not enough time would actually pass for the teleporter or the other players to regenerate. However, since we cannot accomodate teleport in that way in a game with multiple players, everyone should be able to regenerate in that time frame, otherwise the people who fly or are land-based have the advantage that they can regenerate in their travel modes while the teleporter can not.

The problem which breaks it is the phycology of dieing this game....However, people instantly jump to teleport when making a PVP character because they think that its better to escape than to die.

At the same time, when teleporters, or anyone for that matter are escaping, they are leaving their team vulnerable as it becomes a 5v4 match, meaning at least one person will have two people on them leading to that other person on your team getting defeated instead of the teleporter it results in the same outcome, just with a bit more work for the other team.
    Now I do think that dieing is bad in PVP, it is a game where one team has to reach a certain amount of kills. There are however much better ways of surving and doing tons of damage. Take superspeed for example, just running in circles round someone casting a high damage advantaged energy builder is just as effective. The enemy can't easily click and target you and charge attacks are impossible to land if your going out of range. Therefore teleort isnt doing anywhere near as much damage as most other travel powers (forget tunneling, its a poor mans teleport in pvp).

I agree. Especially if no one has any travel power removers as you'll sometimes see in the level 10 cap PvP battles. This is also where Melee can feel absolutely useless in PvP since there are flyers up in the air and there is nothing they can do against them. A teleporter feels exactly the same way, with ranged attacks or not as the flyers or land-basers can easily out position the teleporter after the teleporter has started attacking.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    UVee wrote:
    Granted, but have you been held after you've popped out of a teleport and attacked someone? You're basically SoL if there is enough damage heading your way.

No, in fact. I don't activate my cooldown unless I'm certain that enemies in the area are focused on someone else. It's not that long to wait, and blocking while I wait is enough to usually ensure that enemies will continue to focus on others.
    At the same time, I have used an acrobatics character to run away from a battle and do the same thing - sure I may be attacked in brief amounts, but I have run away and kept running around, confused my enemies to the point where they decided they'll just switch targets, allowing me to pick up health and regen as well.

And that's great. But the difference is, you can still be targeted, and I can't. If you get away with another travel power, there's an element of skill (or at least luck) involved. When I do it with teleport, it's a matter of pressing T.

Now, if I couldn't heal while staying phased-out, that would add an element of skill or luck to my power, too. I'd have to pop back into reality and become targetable again in order to pick up that green or wait on my regen ticks. If someone chased me down, sure, I could teleport away again, but then I wouldn't be recovering health. If they chased me well enough, they could kill me. If not, they could at least keep me from returning to battle, which helps their team.
    What some people don't realize either is that while any teleporter, or anyone else for that matter, is off running around looking for heals, the team is a player short. It becomes 5v4 until that player returns to combat. And yes, it makes a big difference because then you are almost guaranteed to have one person on your team facing two people.

That's assuming that nobody is wasting time running after the teleporter. I have not found that to be the case, personally. I almost always draw at least one person on the other team away when I pull this trick. Sometimes I've had three people after me, leaving it at 4-vs.-2 in my team's favor.
    Not necessarily. A person with invulnerability or PFF and a heal power is one tough beast. Unless you have help, you're more than likely going to have a hard time taking them down by yourself.

Not really. No more so than taking down anyone by myself. And while I tend to play support, I'm fully capable of dealing significant damage.
    I think the defeats are kind of skewed, I know on the right hand side that it shows player defeats but that also includes assists in defeating and it also includes supportive measures to team mates while they are taking down someone else. I'm going to assume if you're not dealing lots of damage, you are assisting your team while they are attacking and this is why you'll see a 9-average (mostly assists). I am 99.5983% sure you did not take out 9 players all by yourself with a support character simply because you have teleport.

In team PvP, nobody takes out opponents all by themselves. But I'm consistently at or near the top on number of kills, and consistently at the bottom on number of defeats. That tells me that I'm able to put out significant damage toward killing the opponents, WHILE playing support for my allies, WHILE not getting killed myself. I'm not a bad player, but I don't think I'm that good. It's the power combination.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The fix for teleport is so simple. Just make it a regular power (in say the sorcery framework). Problem solved.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    "Teleport is supposed to be instant travel, however because players can't move their character via keyboard at the speed of light, Crytic simply extended this time. Thus in theory players should recieve no regenration during these teleport intervals."

agreed, and that is a creative lore reason why regen should not work on TP... I just don't think powers should work at all on a teleporter while in teleport form, and regeneration is a power.
    All my previous takes on the power still are the same.

CoH's version was a much truer teleport, I miss it.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Foxmaiden wrote:
    As it currently stands, Teleport is a bit overpowered in both PvE and PvP. It's a near-guaranteed escape and a fight resetter. It is much more difficult for a teleporter to die than for anyone with any other travel power to die.

Originally, Teleport was set to cooldown if the teleporter took any damage. However, this doesn't work because it leads to situations where, in PvE, a mob firing at the teleporter can shut down the power and drop him out of the sky.

Assuming that the power should work the same way in PvE and PvP, so that the cooldown cannot simply be restored for PvP only, there is still one easy way to fix most of the Teleport abuses:

With this change, the following happens:

This is a pretty good idea.

I dont like the idea of the cooldown and agree that TP should have an escape advantage otherwsie why choose TP at all? Why not just choose Super Speed as another person said?

This will still allow you to use TP for an escape but not use it as a means to heal while being protected from combat.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Frekke wrote:
    The fix for teleport is so simple. Just make it a regular power (in say the sorcery framework). Problem solved.

I dont think I understand this. How would making it a regular power as part of one of the frameworks make it a more form of travel in PvP?

Maybe Im not seeing it but I dont see how that would change anything, then youd just have an acrobat with TP on every toon at level 5 wouldnt you?
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Foxmaiden wrote:
    And that's great. But the difference is, you can still be targeted, and I can't. If you get away with another travel power, there's an element of skill (or at least luck) involved. When I do it with teleport, it's a matter of pressing T.

I can hardly call holding down the spacebar, or just running in circles skill, which is all you'd be doing with flight powers or land-based powers to get away either. The only catch: Someone can root/hold you but if you're out of range quick enough, which you can do with either, they won't get it off.
    Foxmaiden wrote:
    That's assuming that nobody is wasting time running after the teleporter. I have not found that to be the case, personally. I almost always draw at least one person on the other team away when I pull this trick. Sometimes I've had three people after me, leaving it at 4-vs.-2 in my team's favor.

And that is their stupidity at work! 3 people to chase down a teleporter? Their team deserves to lose. People get so adamant about taking out one particular person instead of realizing the big picture which is that it is a team battle - and if you're not helping your team in some way (in this case, those guys aren't helping their team by trying to track down a teleporter) you don't deserve to win.
    Foxmaiden wrote:
    Not really. No more so than taking down anyone by myself. And while I tend to play support, I'm fully capable of dealing significant damage.

In team PvP, nobody takes out opponents all by themselves. But I'm consistently at or near the top on number of kills, and consistently at the bottom on number of defeats. That tells me that I'm able to put out significant damage toward killing the opponents, WHILE playing support for my allies, WHILE not getting killed myself. I'm not a bad player, but I don't think I'm that good. It's the power combination.

I have no doubt of your abilities, but as I've stated, I don't believe you are taking out that many players by yourself. From what I've read of your PvP antics, I'd say you're actually a decent PvPer who knows when to perform certain actions under certain conditions - that is why you are successful and you are really helping your team along. Just because you have no defeats doesn't mean there is a problem with teleport - you are using it to get away which is the powers only quality at all in PvP. There are times when you are up against some players who are just so hard defensively that don't have teleport, but no one on your team focuses on them, thus they never get defeated.

Once players are unable to use healing abilities in teleport (not including regen) is removed the power will be more balanced. I am starting to agree that teleporters maybe should not be able to get any pickups, but having that restriction in itself is futile as a teleporter could pop out of teleport, grab the pickup, and teleport away a second later. If you have a counter-argument for this, lets debate it :P
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I felt like posting another post this time only because my last post would become a novel with this.

Lets review some basic things of teleport vs. every other travel power and the current state of debate on them. If I'm mistaken in some way, please quote the section and tell me what you would change, I'll then try to keep this up to date.

Teleporter: Can not attack
    Anyone else: Can attack

Everyone appears to agree that this is fair.

Teleporter: Can not heal (current ability to heal in teleport is presumed to be a bug)
    Anyone else: Can heal

Everyone appears to agree that this is fair, so long as the bug is removed.

Teleporter: Can not be targetted
    Anyone else: Can be targetted

Debated that this is unfair. People have stated they wish to be able to target teleporters so they may track them.

Teleporter: Can not be hit (includes travel power removers)
    Anyone else: Can be hit

Debated that this is unfair in relation to travel power removers. People have stated that they wish to be able to at least hit teleporters with travel power removers.

Teleporter: Can not use travel power after attacking for 10 seconds
    Anyone else: Can use travel power any time after attacking

Everyone agrees that this is fair, however it has been brought up that any changes made to teleportation would mean having to augment this rule.

Teleporter: Can move away instantly at a very fast speed, but only if the timer isn't in effect
    Anyone else: Usually has some form of charging but otherwise mobile instantly

Everyone appears to agree that this is fair, but hasn't really been debated in this thread.

Teleporter: Can use the power "regeneration" while teleporting
    Anyone else: Can use the power "regeneration" while travelling

Debated that this is unfair. People have stated that regeneration should be included under the "Teleporter: Can not heal" rule.

Teleporter: Can get pickups
    Anyone else: Can get pickups

Debated that this is unfair. People have stated that teleporters should have to come out of their teleport in order to pick up the powerup items, and possibly have a wait period after coming out of teleport before being able to pick them up.

Thats all I can think of for now. Again, if you believe I entered something in here incorrectly, please quote the section and mention what changes, and I'll try and keep this updated.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Reading this thread is like watching blind people fighting over a lost button.