test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Hypothalmic Helmet - As good as it seems?

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited October 2009 in Items and Crafting
Hypothalmic Helmet

For those who do not wish to look at the screenshot for whatever reason:

Hypothalmic Helmet
Primary Utility
Level 13
0.5 Energy Regen
100% Root Resist
100% Hold Resist
100% Confuse Resist
2.3 Phys Def
2.3 Energy Def
+2 Offense

I have this on one of my character. I got it from some lowbie Desert quest, I don't remember which one. Am I missing something? This almost looks like a PvP required piece of gear. I was shocked to see it on such a low level quest.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2009
    I have kept mine for pvp because it seems like it would be good, haven't really tried it out though.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I thought the same thing when i got it, but it does not work how you'd imagine it.

I was still able to get held by npcs while using that helm. My guess is that it is +100% hold resist, ie it doubles your hold (and other) resist.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Murbella wrote:
    I thought the same thing when i got it, but it does not work how you'd imagine it.

I was still able to get held by npcs while using that helm. My guess is that it is +100% hold resist, ie it doubles your hold (and other) resist.

i presumed that, but even so, double root/hold resistance seems fairly good. I haven't really tried it out properly in PvP (had it equipped once, but it was low level, so there wasn't many holds going off anyhow)
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I would assume that you'd find better root/hold resistance on higher up items along with better stats.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I found another piece of gear in my 20's that gave a 25% avoidance rate, or something like that. I was too low level to use it at the time and I accidentally vendored it before I got to test it out. I wonder if that one also increases your current avoidance by 25% rather than a flat 25%.

The descriptions on these could be more clear.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    its not 100% its +100%

big difference
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    DNA Resequencer.

Secondary utility.

+25 dex, +15 int... or was it 25 int and 15 rec... idunno, just know that its a secondary util made by science crafters, and it had 25 in one stat, and 15 in another. Useful for any caster.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It is good, yes. It isn't great in PvE unless you know you are fighting hold-oriented mobs. Most of the time you can leave it off in PvE (but DON'T get rid of it).
    It is GREAT in PvP.

It doubled the amount of breakout you get (or halves the hold time). My tank puts up his block and just walks through the holds.

I found this thread because I was searching for it with another character who is getting hit by a lot of holds. I know I got it in the desert, but I don't remember which zone/NPC/mission.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Ah, it's "Bonding With A Grondling" from Dr. Nelson Dupree (inside the base at Project Greenskin).
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I also got this item yesterday and quickly went and stored it in my bank for future use. Haven't got around to trying it in PvP yet.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    as mentioned it doesn't provide immunity. it does make it very easy to break out of holds though.

I accidentally sold mine and had to replace it with some Willpower Bombs from the market ;)
    +25 dex, +15 int... or was it 25 int and 15 rec... idunno, just know that its a secondary util made by science crafters, and it had 25 in one stat, and 15 in another. Useful for any caster.
    there's a few secondary craftables that are supposed to be primaries. /bug em when you see em.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I forget the original deal, but besically most CO effects that are listed as "+x%" work on a formula where you get closer and closer to 100% without ever achieving it, so the closest you're likely to get to complete immunity would actually be more like +300% or +400%, which are in the actual 70-80% range or something, but that's about it. +100% is useful, but it won't make you even close to immune, it probably works out to be closer to 30% resistance.

No I don't know why they use such a confusing math system, at least some of the stat displays have been adapted to be more literal.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    iirc, most of CO operates on a 1/(1+x) scheme. so +100% whatever is 1/(1+1.00) or 50% damage. +200% gets you 1/(1+2.00) or 33% damage. +300% gets you 25% damage, +400% gets you 20% damage. as you can see there are steady diminishing returns.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    ^^^^^^

That'd mean why +50% power reduction actually reduces energy cost by 33%

EDIT: Seems like the actual "reduction" formula is:

1/ [1 + (100/50)] = 0.33

OLD: As 1/ (1 + 0.5) = 0.66. Which is 66%
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I love this thing, especally for pvp!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    DeadlyShoe wrote:
    iirc, most of CO operates on a 1/(1+x) scheme. so +100% whatever is 1/(1+1.00) or 50% damage. +200% gets you 1/(1+2.00) or 33% damage. +300% gets you 25% damage, +400% gets you 20% damage. as you can see there are steady diminishing returns.

How does this make sense? Stacking +300% damage increase reduces the actual damage increase by half compared with a +100% boost?