test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Rework idea for Retcons

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited September 2009 in Suggestions Box
Champions as a game has a cash-based economy, so obviously retcons are an ideal commodity to "sell" to players. But unlike the WoW type system where you paid a flat fee to respec the entire skillset for your class (and each time you respecced the cost got higher), Cryptic have bizarrely elected to use an escalating "pay per skill" system .

It puzzles me.

Obviously, the ability to have a partial respec where it's possible to electively change only 1 or 2 skills instead of having to rebuild your entire skillset from scratch is a brilliant one, and to be applauded. And while the current retcon system can do that if the skill you're changing is the last one or two, that's not actually how the current CO retcon works, is it?

So I suggest this :-

Instead of having a BLANKET ESCALATING FEE for retcons, I believe having SELECTIVE FEES would be far more player-friendly while still retaining the "cash for retcon" principle.

What do I mean by selective?

Well, when you talk to the Powerhouse guys (with their incredibly annoying crunchy necks) the dialogue window offers you choices : retcon, powers, advantages, talents...

However, the retcon itself has NO choice. If you fancy a different travel power and you've taken 6 skills since then that you'd like to keep, you have no choice but to PAY TO UNDO ALL THOSE 6 SKILLS, change travel power, then reacquire THE SAME 6 SKILLS!?

Where's the logic in that? If you're having a per item respec system it should be just that - PER ITEM, not per choice path.

I say simply have a CHOICE SCREEN for retcons.
Break it down into POWERS, TRAVEL, TALENTS and FOCUS.

Advantages are different - they're tied to powers so the cost of a power with multiple perks should be factored in along with the power respec.

But Travel Powers & SuperStats are a completely different aspect of character skilling and so should NOT be lumped in with the multi-choice abilities.

Yes, have an escalating scale for retconning powers (with their ranks and advantages) & talents, certainly - that actually makes good sense. But as you can only ever have 2 travel powers and 2 Superstats, it makes no sense to include them with the rest and have the price you pay to respec them therefore being entirely dependent simply on WHEN you happened to choose them.

So to recap my suggestion :

RETCON CHOICE

Powers (escalating fee with ranks & advantages also factored into cost)
Talents - escalating cost.
Travel Powers - FLAT FEE.
Superstats - FLAT FEE.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    /signed.

This is the most frustrating part in the game for me. I picked some skills that seemed useful, but are utterly worthless...the current system needs to be completely revamped. Either allow us to change the skills we want at a rising rate (goes up every time we do it), or let us pay a fee to completely start over.