Install Arc
Options

PFF vs Regen and Stat choices

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited August 2009 in Power Discussion
So.... what's the verdict?

Is regen worth it?

I'm trying to pick a defensive passive.

I'm making a TK / Ego Blades build right now. I'll get shadow form for late game but really think I'll need a def passive for leveling. I'm also torn between Super Ego and Super Con for my second superstat (first will be End). Would that matter in picking the passive? Do you need super Ego for PFF? Is there even a point to super ego without super dex or is con the better choice.

I kinda like the idea of regen, but hear it absolutely blows late game, especially without crits.

So many decisions. I have PFF right now but am shortly coming up to my second super stat and want to have my defensive passive worked out and respec time is ticking. No full respecs will hurt. I predict massive whining when people have picked the "wrong" power early on, especially something critical like passives, but I digress.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2009
    From my understanding Ego essentially increases / raises the rate at which the PFF will refresh / regenerate. While End increases the level of damage that the PFF will absord for you.

Regen apparently is somewhat useless from level 25-ish onwards. This is due, in part, to the fact the level of damage you receive later in the game tends to range in the thousands mark. While the health gained from Regen is still in the hundreds, not to mention healing for a few hundred health when you have 6k+ health is counter effective really. So essentially towards the higher levels Regen just doesn't do the job of keeping you alive that well.

The PFF however mitigates some serious levels of damage providing some adequate defense to hard hitting attacks. Chances are if you want to have a decent self buff for survival / leveling when you solo then PFF is your friend. Especially if you are picking End as a Super Stat and as a secondary Super Stat I would personally go with Ego to combine with End. The two go very well together.

Having a high health pool may seem like the best defense. But in reality the best defense is one that mitigates incoming damage from attacks to a manageable level.

So I advise picking PFF combined with Super End and Super Ego to buff it. Those two Super Stats should help buff your overall effectiveness anyway, you can rely on gear for Con or Dex if you wish :)
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Ego, even if it buffs PFF for you, will not be worthwhile if you don't stack DEX. I, personally, suggest END/DEX and get Ego via talents and gear.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Adja wrote:
    Regen apparently is somewhat useless from level 25-ish onwards. This is due, in part, to the fact the level of damage you receive later in the game tends to range in the thousands mark. While the health gained from Regen is still in the hundreds, not to mention healing for a few hundred health when you have 6k+ health is counter effective really. So essentially towards the higher levels Regen just doesn't do the job of keeping you alive that well

Except that you can indefinitely block-turtle to return to full health at any time while the vast majority of attacks ding off you, including the ones that would normally do in the thousands. It helps that every attack done to you ramps up your regen, too.

Seriously--regen is one of the best powers. This is the first I've seen anyone saying that it doesn't work.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Krylo wrote:
    Except that you can indefinitely block-turtle to return to full health at any time while the vast majority of attacks ding off you, including the ones that would normally do in the thousands. It helps that every attack done to you ramps up your regen, too.

Seriously--regen is one of the best powers. This is the first I've seen anyone saying that it doesn't work.

eh, only people who chose not to take the right counters are thwarted by turtlers, maybe not universally, but generally speaking.

It's actually much easier to turtle with pff. Problem is, pff players aren't as good because they don't see how the damage coming in is affecting their bubble.

I'm going with regen only because it has one benefit over pff that people can find out on their own.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Krylo wrote:

All I've heard over the last day or so is about how bad regen is since they nerfed it. *Shrug*

I'm not sure you can block till full anymore. Blocked attacks apparently outdmg regen (excluding dex / ego builds).

Anyway -- thanks for advice. I'm likely not going with ego as a superstat and will gear ego a bit. Probably going dex but still considering con. Definitely taking pff though.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Volp wrote:
    Anyway -- thanks for advice. I'm likely not going with ego as a superstat and will gear ego a bit. Probably going dex but still considering con. Definitely taking pff though.

PFF scales with EGO and END. One (EGO I -think-) determines how much it absorbs, while the other how quickly it refreshes. It could be the other way, as I always mix those two up. But you're losing synergy by not taking both END and EGO.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I have to also say that ego is not that great in terms of pff usefullness. end is much better, in part due to field surge alone, which undermines the usefulness of ego.

Now if you think you can manage keeping 3 stats up real high, and those three stats are dex, ego, and end, then in that case ego would be worth it.