test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Batman's ACTUAL new look isnt that bad.

nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Off Topic
batman1-d338f.jpg

Seems the Bunni Bot was only Jim's version of the Batmobile and not his actual batsuit.

People are going to lose their S*** over the taser gun though :V
nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Seems like they are trying to combine Batman with his Beyond persona.. Not bad, the cape was over done to begin with, and realistically, that cape should have killed Bruce so many times over Darwin would have had a field day.

Taser is definitely going to cause controversy, and the lack of a utility belt.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Seems like they are trying to combine Batman with his Beyond persona.. Not bad, the cape was over done to begin with, and realistically, that cape should have killed Bruce so many times over Darwin would have had a field day.

Taser is definitely going to cause controversy, and the lack of a utility belt.

What I dont like is that DC has suddenly decided that Jim Gordon is only 46 and that he just went grey early.
    So he has dyed his hair red and now runs around Gotham being Batman. Thats a midlife crisis DC style.

With Bruce Wayne shown to be alive and well its going to interesting to see where DC go with this.

And yes I am aware DC just reboted their Universe yet again so Gordon is now younger, they are just trying to pander to fans of that silly cop show U_U
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    nepht wrote: »
    And yes I am aware DC just reboted their Universe yet again so Gordon is now younger, they are just trying to pander to fans of that silly cop show U_U
    Which silly cop show? I'm afraid you're going to have to be more specific...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    edited June 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    Which silly cop show? I'm afraid you're going to have to be more specific...

The one with that guy that always looks confused.

NEMeeSdsdXvVQO_1_b.jpg

Seriously WTF! face seems to be the only face he can do ._.
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Seriously WTF! face seems to be the only face he can do ._.

Well, if you had to read those scripts day after day...

I think being Commissioner of the GCPD ages you the way being the President does. Every year on the job is three years off your life.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Losing the cape is a bit... Too much. Edna Mode aside, this is just too big a leap I think. Definitely loses something.

And why a taser gun? Why not give him a wrist thingy?

I'll say this though, at least he's not clad in armor covered in glowing yellow lines.
    biffsig.jpg
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    img_1387.png?w=640

All-New-Batsuit-Batman41-2.jpg?itok=1CR8q_1c

it-s-official-dc-confirm-that-bruce-wayne-is-no-longer-batman-gordon-in-bat-mech-suit-391707.jpg

James_Gordon_Digital_Justice_001.jpg
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    batman1-d338f.jpg

Seems the Bunni Bot was only Jim's version of the Batmobile and not his actual batsuit.

People are going to lose their S*** over the taser gun though :V

So, he's now looking more like The Punisher (from Marvel)? Ugh. Batman NEEDS his cape.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    Armsman-KConniesig-Original0454.jpg
    PWE Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'll say this though, at least he's not clad in armor covered in glowing yellow lines.

I LOVE my glowing yellow lines!
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
    edited June 2015
    So, he's now looking more like The Punisher (from Marvel)? Ugh. Batman NEEDS his cape.

That isnt a bad comparison as Gordon can be a hell of a lot more brutal than Bruce ever could. 60 year old Pre Divergence Jim Gordon could beat up the likes of Two Face with just his fists..no gadgets. 40 something Bat-Gordon is sure to cause even more carnage.

DC have stated this is just a story arc heck they even showed Wayne was fine in Jim's first issue as Bats but I hope this new Batman sticks around a bit longer than the Japanese Catwoman did :I
    edited June 2015
    That isnt a bad comparison as Gordon can be a hell of a lot more brutal than Bruce ever could. 60 year old Pre Divergence Jim Gordon could beat up the likes of Two Face with just his fists..no gadgets. 40 something Bat-Gordon is sure to cause even more carnage.

DC have stated this is just a story arc heck they even showed Wayne was fine in Jim's first issue as Bats but I hope this new Batman sticks around a bit longer than the Japanese Catwoman did :I

Comic book nerds, like MMO players, can never accept change. It's a proven fact. The last 90 odd years is proof of that alone.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited June 2015
    Comic book nerds, like MMO players, can never accept change. It's a proven fact. The last 90 odd years is proof of that alone.

Yeah sometimes nerds ruin stuff. Eiko was great but DC was too frightened to keep her around longer.
  • joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Hmmm...Cassandra Cain as Batgirl seemed to go over well. As did Stephanie becoming Batgirl.

Spider-Man in the Ultimate Universe seemed to go over well until Miles took over.

Jason Todd being alive seemed to go over well.

Who were the ones who complained about Starfire keeping her look? Those who never read a comic. :p

I'm not so sure it's fans who are the problem. Also, who loses their minds when nothing changes? Those who don't bother to read the comics anyways.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    They should get rid of those weird spikes on batman's head. Those just don't make sense. They just provide a great leverage point for a punch or kick that would have otherwise missed his head. The blow would hot those spike thingy and probably snap his bat neck.
  • friezalivesonfriezaliveson Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Well its a taser gun but then again... I like the look. Not all concerned about the taser gun really btw what issue is that from? Just so I can pick it up later from the store. :P
    edited June 2015
    Maybe, if the idea is to get rid of everything interesting/awesome about a character and the idea is to be all realistic as to what to wear...maybe kevlar and spandex should be all he wears, while staying in the iron man esque bat suit.
    edited June 2015
    spinnytop wrote: »
    They should get rid of those weird spikes on batman's head. Those just don't make sense. They just provide a great leverage point for a punch or kick that would have otherwise missed his head. The blow would hot those spike thingy and probably snap his bat neck.

Those things and the pointy cape are what make his silhouette. It's so deeply ingrained into his look, just about everyone can tell you who the guy is if you showed him the silhouette. It's iconic. It's the brand. It's instant recognition.

Losing both would be a silly thing to do.
    biffsig.jpg
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited June 2015
    joybuzzerx wrote: »
    I'm not so sure it's fans who are the problem. Also, who loses their minds when nothing changes? Those who don't bother to read the comics anyways.

You mean those people who are spending on lady Thor, Ms Marvel and Spider-Gwen?

Yes, long standing fans are a problem with superhero comic books. Catering only to them made this genre non-inclusive and slowly dying.

It's about time publishers are trying new things. About damn time.

Overcome, adapt or die.

If superhero books can't be popular and inclusive, then they have no reason to be at all.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Maybe, if the idea is to get rid of everything interesting/awesome about a character and the idea is to be all realistic as to what to wear...maybe kevlar and spandex should be all he wears, while staying in the iron man esque bat suit.

I agree.

Those things and the pointy cape are what make his silhouette. It's so deeply ingrained into his look, just about everyone can tell you who the guy is if you showed him the silhouette. It's iconic. It's the brand. It's instant recognition.

Losing both would be a silly thing to do.

Yes, just like the cape. Oh wait. He's basically turning into black Daredevil. Blind as a bat!
    edited June 2015
    Hmmm...Cassandra Cain as Batgirl seemed to go over well. As did Stephanie becoming Batgirl.

Spider-Man in the Ultimate Universe seemed to go over well until Miles took over.

Jason Todd being alive seemed to go over well.

Who were the ones who complained about Starfire keeping her look? Those who never read a comic. :p

Batgirl is seen as a Sidekick so no one cared.

Ultimate Spider-Man is a another universe version so no one cared.

No one cares about Jason Todd.

People expect Starfire to be the ditz they see in the Teen Titans cartoon :D

But give Thor boobs and you have a massive problem.

thor-001-1.jpg?w=670
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    championshewolf gets #notall...:

I'm a lifelong Legion of Super-Heroes fan. We INVENTED "accepting change". :biggrin:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited June 2015
    Yes, of course comic-book nerds have never, ever accepted any changes. That's why Batman carries a matching pair of .45s and cracks jokes while his opponents die. That's why Superman's top speed is around 80 mph - running, because he can't fly, although he can jump a long way. (Okay, they've gone back to that now, but just for a while, I'm certain.) That's why the Green Lantern is a guy with a magical ring, whose powers don't affect anything made of wood, and there's only one Green Lantern. That's why the Flash is this dude in flannel PJs and a metal Hermes hat. And so forth.

And, of course, as decorum noted, there's the Legion of Super-Heroes. Or should I say, the Legions of Super-Heroes - are they still at three reboots, or did the New 52 thing bring them a fourth?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    changes. That's why Batman carries a matching pair of .45s and cracks jokes while his opponents die.

The part about the guns is actually a bit of a myth I believe, having read reprints of the very earliest batman stories(in chronological order!) He is only depicted a few times with a pistol and most of these appearances are splash pages or covers that are in no way connected with actual stories. The only time I ever noticed him using a gun in one of those stories was when he had to shoot a few vampires with silver bullets.

He did crack a few jokes while snapping necks and tossing thugs off rooftops though, golden age batman was pretty ruthless until robin showed up.
    edited June 2015
    It's always humorous it's the same person denying the obvious even though there is a congruous history of this since the beginning of comics onward. Today it's even louder when people are demanding a change be stopped before it's even hit the shelves.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited June 2015
    You mean those people who are spending on lady Thor, Ms Marvel and Spider-Gwen?

Yes, long standing fans are a problem with superhero comic books. Catering only to them made this genre non-inclusive and slowly dying.

It's about time publishers are trying new things. About damn time.

Overcome, adapt or die.

If superhero books can't be popular and inclusive, then they have no reason to be at all.

I don't recall Ms Marvel selling that well, but I guess being in the top 100 is well with all the comics out there?

Internet allows people to be louder. And what's really inclusive about this new batman? Yay! You turned a 60ish year old white guy into a 40ish year old white guy superhero! So what comics have been missing! :p

I saw no problem with some creating Thor. I saw the problem of them not thinking a new female hero couldn't survive on her own without tying herself to an already established hero name. :p

People read Spider-Man, they want to read about Peter Parker. People read Naruto, they want to read about Naruto.
  • moxiedangermoxiedanger Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I don't recall Ms Marvel selling that well, but I guess being in the top 100 is well with all the comics out there?

"Ms. Marvel Volume 1: No Normal was the best-selling graphic novel in October 2014, and by November 2014, it reached #2 on The New York Times Best Seller list of paperback graphic books. In April 2015, Ms. Marvel Volume 2: Generation Why debuted at #4 on The New York Times Best Seller list of paperback graphic books."

It's also consistently been Marvel's top digital seller.
  • kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm pretty okay with this. It'd be neat if they had the underarm wings to make the Batman Beyond inspiration really stand out.
  • vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Only thing I don't like about this is that he doesn't have the distinctive sillhouette Batman's cape usually has, and that belt is appaling.
    Practically, and for actual story reasons, this costume makes a lot more sense though, I admit.

But aesthetically, the cape of Batman gives him a bit more... Not quite grandeur. Superman has grandeur, the whole 'Roman Emperor type dude standing all tall and whatnot' with the cape accentuating his fairly... muscular but identifiably human on the sillhouette.

Batman tends to have the intimidating 'blob of terror' thing going on with his cape, where he's usually drawn as a crouching stance, which his sillhouete makes it look more predatory, if that makes sense? Like a less human, more 'vaguely spiky blob of dark spiky bits'?

I don't think I made sense at all.
    Blagh.

I tend to rate costumes by how identifiable their sillhouettes are more than the actual look/colour schema of the costume. I like the idea of super-teams having the majority of their characters identifiable at a glance. Even if that makes no sense in actual stories, aesthetically I prefer it.

Also, ugh, offcentre belt. I know it's probably actually fine and realistic, but argh no symmetry.
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
    edited June 2015
    The cape was iconic, but majority of silhouette shots were just hit ear points, so over all it makes sense. In a world that's ever increasingly getting nitpicky about things not being more true to life, why so many good movies keep getting burnt down because of nitpickiness, I don't think the loss of the cape is a bad thing, considering in the real world it would be an impediment, not a bonus.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited June 2015
    Except it has been shown in various forms of fiction that the cape is easily detachable with a quick release button, is bullet proof, has a glide function, and makes his over all appearance more menacing and when slipping through the shadows to frighten unsuspecting criminals.

Unlike most heroes who wear capes, batman's is at least the most functional and serves a purpose apart from simply being iconic to the character.
    edited June 2015
    xydaxyda wrote: »
    Except it has been shown in various forms of fiction that the cape is easily detachable with a quick release button, is bullet proof, has a glide function, and makes his over all appearance more menacing and when slipping through the shadows to frighten unsuspecting criminals.
    For his cape to be bullet proof it would have to be ridiculously heavy, which would weigh him down, which would actually go contrary to the fact it is usable for gliding. Which would make the cape even more of a choking hazard than it was before.
    Unlike most heroes who wear capes, batman's is at least the most functional and serves a purpose apart from simply being iconic to the character.

Yea if you completely ignore reality, it's functional. Now grant it, back in the age of fencing, people wore capes but took them off and wrapped them around their parrying arm as a pseudo shield for catching other fencers weapons. But that was mostly last minute stuff otherwise cape was removed so you don't trip yourself or get tangled up.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited June 2015
    For his cape to be bullet proof it would have to be ridiculously heavy, which would weigh him down, which would actually go contrary to the fact it is usable for gliding. Which would make the cape even more of a choking hazard than it was before.

Yea if you completely ignore reality, it's functional. Now grant it, back in the age of fencing, people wore capes but took them off and wrapped them around their parrying arm as a pseudo shield for catching other fencers weapons. But that was mostly last minute stuff otherwise cape was removed so you don't trip yourself or get tangled up.

Yup...comic book science means bullet proof cape can't be light weight. :p
    edited June 2015
    Sure however a pretty big part of enjoying most fiction relies some on the ignoring of reality.

Take the "wings" off the bat and he might as well change his name to Ratman.

Or like it was said before, shave off the pointy ear parts as well and just call him Daredevil.
    edited June 2015
    Yup...comic book science means bullet proof cape can't be light weight. :p

As people keep clamoring for more realistic stuff in the media, and of course comic books and television and such keep aiming towards that, well you can't have it both ways. You are either being accurate or you're not.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited June 2015
    Super hero stories will never be accurate... but that doesn't seem to harm ticket sales or television viewership very much.
    edited June 2015
    As people keep clamoring for more realistic stuff in the media, and of course comic books and television and such keep aiming towards that, well you can't have it both ways. You are either being accurate or you're not.

Nobody's asking for Avengers movies to be more realistic. And I think those movies are doing okay.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited June 2015
    edited June 2015
    Batman's cape is multifunctional - which is great, for someone who's spent decades mastering the technology. For Jim, it's probably best to go minimalist, at least for now.

edited June 2015
    It all seems to be a pointless roundabout to me, anyway. No one seriously thinks that Gordon is going to be Batman for more than a temp, do they?
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited June 2015
    It all seems to be a pointless roundabout to me, anyway. No one seriously thinks that Gordon is going to be Batman for more than a temp, do they?

it would be nice if the plot line of comics actually advanced though. I mean Bruce Wayne is now literally in his 90s, and its rather ridiculously to keep the same character at the peak of his life throughout their history. They constantly do these reboots so they don't have to really think that hard and consider adding depth with a new possible person filling in the mains role. Because heaven forbid that there might be an actual successor to the mantle of Batman.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited June 2015
    Bruce is too endemic to Batman, much the same way Clark is endemic to Supes. It just doesn't work with someone else. Bruce will eventually end up in a Lazarus Pit or something like that.

The mistake is not in them finding new ways to make sense of their history, it's in them trying at all. Trying to make 55 years of history "make sense" is a fools errand. Just tell stories about Batman.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited June 2015
    Bruce is too endemic to Batman, much the same way Clark is endemic to Supes. It just doesn't work with someone else. Bruce will eventually end up in a Lazarus Pit or something like that.

The mistake is not in them finding new ways to make sense of their history, it's in them trying at all. Trying to make 55 years of history "make sense" is a fools errand. Just tell stories about Batman.

It would work, and just fine. people are just too afraid of change. Hell, Batman Beyond would not have had 3 seasons if it didn't work. It's a basic false belief that no one could be Batman, Green Arrow or any of these characters except this one person.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited June 2015

DC have already shown Bruce Wayne alive and just kicking back. I think after actually killing the Joker ( he stabbed him with his BAT EARS...no joke. ) he has earned his vacation :D

They already said this is just a story arc, Jim Gordon walking in Bats boots for a bit and the character actually seeing what Bruce has had to put up with for well over 70 years is an interesting take on things.

DC been hitting it out the park when mixing things up of late.

Jim Gordon's Batman ( that still seems insane XD ) . A Superman thats had his secret identity blown, powers reset to what they where in his first appearance and is now riding around on a bike ( not to mention on talking terms with Lex Luthor ). A Catwoman thats been also kind of reset to her old mob boss days and a Harley Quinn thats went full blown Super Hero >_>"

Marvel at the moment has been a bit crap with Dr Doom yet again saves all reality bull**** ( losing count of how many times he does that ) and the multiple Wolverines garbage ( im like a massive Wolverine fan but even I think he should stay dead for a few more years ) and whats with Coulson making it into the comics...just why ._.

OH and lets not talk about how they are rebooting the Inferno story arc and utterly ruining it U_U
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    So how is Bats going to use his cape to glide, especially using it swoop down on the bad guys like some shadowy terror while scaring the bejesus out of them before beating them up silly?

Yeah I think the costume change sucks and makes him represent a wingless bat, which could also be called a rat. That's what I'm thinking of now when I look at this costume; Ratman with pointy ears with a Batman symbol on his chest thinking he's Batman. Capeless Batman Beyond didn't have a cape but at least he had underarm wings to you know, represent an actual bat.
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    *reads Nepht's post*

Hmm....

So DC comics are doing better than Marvel comics, but Marvel movies are doing better than DC (in my view at least).

I find that ironic and interesting.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

edited June 2015
    jennymachx wrote: »
    So how is Bats going to use his cape to glide, especially using it swoop down on the bad guys like some shadowy terror while scaring the bejesus out of them before beating them up silly?

Yeah I think the costume change sucks and makes him represent a wingless bat, which could also be called a rat. Capeless Batman Beyond didn't have a cape but at least he had underarm wings to you know, represent an actual bat.

Cape is Bruce's thing, Gordon's thing is the trench coat, the real question should be why doesnt BatJim have a trench coat and a mustache.
    kallethen wrote: »
    *reads Nepht's post*

Hmm....

So DC comics are doing better than Marvel comics, but Marvel movies are doing better than DC (in my view at least).

I find that ironic and interesting.

I dont I find it disturbing. Up is Down and Down is to the left O_O

Maybe one day we will see the Xmen as awesome as they where in the 80's. Bats might be on a roll but I am still a Logan fangirl for life :O
    edited June 2015
    OH and lets not talk about how they are rebooting the Inferno story arc and utterly ruining it U_U

What the hell are they doing to Inferno? If they screw up the best X-Men story in existence, I'll poop a dook.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited June 2015
    What the hell are they doing to Inferno? If they screw up the best X-Men story in existence, I'll poop a dook.

INFERNO_1_VAR-600x910.jpg

You might want to bury your head in the sand for the next few months.

Its going full emo..you should never go full emo.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Cape is Bruce's thing, Gordon's thing is the trench coat, the real question should be why doesnt BatJim have a trench coat and a mustache.

tumblr_mykrnbekze1ssmbizo9_500.jpg?w=330&h=482

This should be BatJim.