test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Canonical Names

moxiedangermoxiedanger Posts: 189 Arc User
Is there a comprehensive list anywhere? Twice now I've found and started using hero names (Bastille, Walkabout) that don't exist in comics or elsewhere, yet turned out being Champs PnP characters. It's a bummer.
Post edited by moxiedanger on

Comments

• meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited June 2015
    Villains would be in Champions Villains volumines. But heroes names will be scattered all over the place.

Either way, don't bother with it too much.

If it is not a "premiere" name (premiere for CU at least), it's not worth the effort to change it or to check if it's really unique.
    The only people who can have problems with anyone sharing names with some fringe characters are usually some overly obsessive lore nazis or other guys you should probably laught at anyway.
  • moxiedangermoxiedanger Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm not worried about it bothering anyone else; it bothers me.
    edited June 2015
    gradii wrote: »
    Pretty much every good character name is already used by someone, somewhere.

Unless you can get used to names like L33tmonster666 and XxPwnimatorxX, you're not going to have much choice in names if that bothers you.

I have never found this to be true. And since new characters are introduced in comics all the time, with unique, iconic names, I'm not the only one. Hell, over in "that other game", where the names were unique to each server and I was on the RP server, so "all the good names were gone" there, too, I had a full account of unique, iconic names. So nah.

Anyway.

If there is a list of hero/heroine/villain/villainess Champs PnP names, I'd be much obliged to be pointed in its direction.
  • jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    A quick google search reveals the older wiki as a source for Villain and Hero names. Hope that helps!
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
    edited June 2015
    Perfect! Thanks Jerax.
  • crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Not really. you might find a good, cool sounding name for one concept in a blue moon, but the long history of comics makes this an increasingly inevitable fact of character naming.

If you can't handle using a name someone, somewhere might be using, you're going to have a lot of trouble sooner or later.

<looks at post>
    <looks at account roster>
    <is thankful for all those blue moons he keeps tripping over>
    <ends post>
    <grins> :biggrin:
    2s9bzbq.jpg
    edited June 2015
    Not really. you might find a good, cool sounding name for one concept in a blue moon, but the long history of comics makes this an increasingly inevitable fact of character naming.

If you can't handle using a name someone, somewhere might be using, you're going to have a lot of trouble sooner or later.

Storm Devil
    Baron Midnight
    Father Midnight
    Moxie Danger
    Showbiz
    Baron Winter
    Guardstone
    Starboy
    Doctor Salem
    Doc Steam
    Doctor Blood
    Mama Juju
    Mister Wizard
    Doc Robot
    Crime Queen

Character names I had that I remember off the top of my head.

Anyway.

I didn't start this thread to solicit opinions on how hard it is to find cool and unique names. I'm sorry that it's difficult for you. All I wanted was a place to find canonical Champs names, which I've now got.
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Star Boy actually has a long comic-book pedigree. But it may be a generational thing not to have heard of Mr. Wizard before. :wink:

FWIW even among official Champions characters there are duplicate names. The setting has two Thunderbolts, two Eclipses, two Proteuses (Protei?), two Warmongers... probably others I'm forgetting. Not to mention legacy characters who have taken up the name of a predecessor from the setting's past "history"; we're on our second Flashover, second Hornet, third MeteorMan, third Scarlet Archer, and of course, tenth Black Mask.

I can respect a desire to avoid naming your character the same as someone else in the setting. I can also respect not being concerned about taking a cool name the MMO's system will allow, even if it applies to another character.
    edited June 2015
    "Star Boy" has that pedigree, but "Starboy" doesn't. Granted, that's totally splitting hairs, but BITD, when you found a "Starboy" unclaimed on the Virtue server, you snapped that right up (ended up trading it for a different name anyway). And I absolutely remember Mr. Wizard; I wrote that into the character's background. :biggrin:

Anyway: thanks again for that list!
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Dibs on Blue Moon for my next character!
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    "Star Boy" has that pedigree, but "Starboy" doesn't. Granted, that's totally splitting hairs, but BITD, when you found a "Starboy" unclaimed on the Virtue server, you snapped that right up (ended up trading it for a different name anyway). And I absolutely remember Mr. Wizard; I wrote that into the character's background. :biggrin:

Anyway: thanks again for that list!
    And what about this Mr. Wizard?

"Help me, Mister Wizard! I don't want to be a certified public accountant!"

I haven't Googled mine to see how many others there have been, but one of my heroes, Honey Badger, is but one of many that I've seen ingame. Thing is, Honey Badger don't give a ****. :wink:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I strive for unique, iconic-sounding names myself, but sometimes you have to just suck it up and not care. I ended up naming my giant guy Stronghold because it fit him too well to deny it to him, despite it being the name of the prison here.

Also, this game has spoiled me for that. I broke down and TRIED DCU Online (hated it, really) and was terribly frustrated to return to the old "that name is taken" roundabout.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Is "Robin's B*%&$" taken? :rolleyes:
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Y'know... it wouldn't surprise me if it was.