test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

starflairexstarflairex Posts: 77 Arc User
edited May 2015 in Power Discussion
Hey all. I've been looking hard into effective dodging while still dealing decent damage. I haven't considered tanking before, but with a crippling challenge somewhere, I feel like I can probably pull it off with some advice. You'll notice the build I show won't have any active offense or defense; I have an idea of what I might use (more than likely masterful dodge and ego surge w/nimble mind) but I usually judge my damage and survivability WITHOUT those. This is not a leveling build; I'm already 40 and just retconning. Welp, here goes:

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name:

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
Level 10: Strength (Secondary)
Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Master
Level 6: Martial Focus
Level 9: Acrobat
Level 12: Agile
Level 15: Covert Ops Training
Level 18: Martial Training
Level 21: Finesse

Powers:
Level 1: Vicious Strikes
Level 1: Thundering Kicks (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 6: Lightning Reflexes (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: One Hundred Hands (Rank 2, Rank 3, Ghostly Strikes)
Level 11: Parry (The Elusive Monk)
Level 14: Form of the Tempest (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 17: Viper's Fangs
Level 20: Tiger's Bite (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 23: Void Shift (Emerging Nightmares)
Level 26: Spirit Reverberation
Level 29: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Resurgent Reiki)
Level 32:
Level 35:
Level 38:

Travel Powers:
Level 6:
Level 35:

Specializations:
Constitution: Tough (3/3)
Constitution: Resilient (2/2)
Constitution: Deflection (3/3)
Constitution: Adrenaline Rush (2/2)
Brawler: The Glory of Battle (1/3)
Brawler: Penetrating Strikes (2/2)
Brawler: Ruthless (2/2)
Brawler: Finishing Blow (3/3)
Brawler: Setup (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Initiative (2/2)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
Vindicator: Offensive Expertise (2/2)
Mastery: Constitution Mastery (1/1)

I've always used Demolish with below the belt as my primary debuff (which really helps with BCR and parry screwing my damage), but this time around I went with Viper's Fangs. With the shredded debuff, plus setup, I was able to get a pretty decent punch from Tiger's bite. I was thinking Dragon's claws instead of the bite because of the extra 50% severity, but idk.

For what it's worth, my guy is mostly super sentai inspired, so I'm not opposed to using weapons. Thanks guys!
Post edited by starflairex on

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I guess I'd have to wonder how ya plan on using each attack here. R3 TKicks I assume is every ~12 sec or so for the dodge buff, but after that I'm not too sure.

Dragon's Claws vs. Tiger's Bite can change up ur 'rotation' a bit. DC is easier to afford (mostly cause of Rush, but TB is also more costly baseline) and is typically spammed after ya put up Shredded. TB can deal more bust dmg, but requires ya to alternate between putting up Shredded and using TB to consume it (and also having many more energy issues w/o more help elsewhere in the build). Other option is having all 3 attacks and just using TB when Shredded is about to expire anyways (DC will still be used more often then).

I'd prob do a Brawler Setup + Warden spec combo if using TB as ur main attack, but you'd also still prob want to throw DC's in there for Rush anyways, and it'll be lower defense than Wardicator. On the flip-side, DC spam is a bit more open and easier to accommodate (Wardicator is the safest bet there for specs). Since you'd be using the combo more heavily in TB's case, I'd rank Viper's Fangs if going that route.

Spirit Reverb won't proc from most of ur attacks here. If ur using DC/Rush, though, ya may not really need a fully functioning energy unlock to be alright w/ energy reserves by lvl 40 gearing standards.

Also, don't bother ranking up the toggle (FotT). FotMaster or FotTiger could also work instead of FotTempest, depending a bit on attack usage.

Lastly, if this is a group tank then you'll likely want an attack w/ Crippling Challenge in there somewhere
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • starflairexstarflairex Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    flowcyto wrote: »
    I guess I'd have to wonder how ya plan on using each attack here. R3 TKicks I assume is every ~12 sec or so for the dodge buff, but after that I'm not too sure.

Dragon's Claws vs. Tiger's Bite can change up ur 'rotation' a bit. DC is easier to afford (mostly cause of Rush, but TB is also more costly baseline) and is typically spammed after ya put up Shredded. TB can deal more bust dmg, but requires ya to alternate between putting up Shredded and using TB to consume it (and also having many more energy issues w/o more help elsewhere in the build). Other option is having all 3 attacks and just using TB when Shredded is about to expire anyways (DC will still be used more often then).

I'd prob do a Brawler Setup + Warden spec combo if using TB as ur main attack, but you'd also still prob want to throw DC's in there for Rush anyways, and it'll be lower defense than Wardicator. On the flip-side, DC spam is a bit more open and easier to accommodate (Wardicator is the safest bet there for specs). Since you'd be using the combo more heavily in TB's case, I'd rank Viper's Fangs if going that route.

Spirit Reverb won't proc from most of ur attacks here. If ur using DC/Rush, though, ya may not really need a fully functioning energy unlock to be alright w/ energy reserves by lvl 40 gearing standards.

Also, don't bother ranking up the toggle (FotT). FotMaster or FotTiger could also work instead of FotTempest, depending a bit on attack usage.

Lastly, if this is a group tank then you'll likely want an attack w/ Crippling Challenge in there somewhere

Been tinkering a bit based on your suggestions. Got rid of Spirit reverb and I don't seem to be suffering any (or much) energy loss with Dragon Claws handy. I got rid of Viper Fangs for Demolish with Below the Belt and I'm not seeing a huge difference in my damage, but now I can just tap it for a quick debuff, bust out a tc combo to refresh my dodge and initiate setup for an additional debuff and max damage with Dragon Claws. A tad less damage per hit, but probably more dps overall since I'm not constantly using combos. I think replacing Ghostly strikes with crippling challenge would be beneficial if I move forward with tanking.
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    My Budget Pink Ranger build: PoHo / Google Doc (stats / gear) / Video

Selphea's Lit Reflex Budget build: PoHo / Article (video inside)

Selphea's build is the step up from min with 100% dodge and better gear / more damage. Mine gets 100% dodge with floating lotus blossom advantage otherwise is 90%.

I prefer having a dodge tank for tanking than the traditional all the defense tanking. Only downside is not having knock resistance. But it went so much smother.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009